Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
NSW / ACT
Jump to new posts Re: NSW Day to Day Weather - 2019 by ashestoashes @ 8 minutes 21 seconds ago

I feel like EC and Access most likely match the AAO profile. Hopefully we get a bit of an easterly dip going so that the inland can join in the fun. Although with dominant positive phases in Summer i feel like the easterly moist flow isn't really a s
NSW / ACT
Jump to new posts Re: NSW Day to Day Weather - 2019 by Steve777 @ 9 minutes 26 seconds ago

Here's the rainfall for June to date as at 9:00 this morning: It's been a wet month - for a strip of coastline mostly about 15-20 km wide from Forster to Batemans Bay, extending a little further inland in the South. There's a small 200 mm bullseye
General Weather
Jump to new posts Re: Brisbane adjusted seasonal rainfalls. by retired weather man @ 18 minutes 23 seconds ago

Have commenced adding up the beforementioned 4 monthly blocks.
SE QLD / NE NSW
Jump to new posts Re: SEQLD / NENSW Day to Day Weather - 2019 by Ken Kato @ 36 minutes 45 seconds ago

Originally Posted By: gleno71Thanks Ken and everyone else for there replies. This could explain as why the Barometer cannot be relied on in this neck of the woods as Ken has explained in the past. The high pressure fine and low pressure rain scenar
SE QLD / NE NSW
Jump to new posts Re: SEQLD / NENSW Day to Day Weather - 2019 by gleno71 @ Today at 16:32

Thanks Ken and everyone else for there replies. This could explain as why the Barometer cannot be relied on in this neck of the woods as Ken has explained in the past. The high pressure fine and low pressure rain scenario seems to work well in lati
General Weather
Jump to new posts Re: Brisbane adjusted seasonal rainfalls. by Steve777 @ Today at 16:28

Interesting RWM, especially the idea of separating out the different seasons according to their major influence. There do seem to be several cycles of varying durations operating. The Summer / tropical season (Jan-Mar) seems to have a 40 year cycle
SE QLD / NE NSW
Jump to new posts Re: SEQLD / NENSW Day to Day Weather - 2019 by gleno71 @ Today at 16:28

Originally Posted By: CJIHigh pressure results from sinking air Gleno. Think of dry air from the Hadley and Ferrel cells piling up a bit as it falls toward the surface, compressing downward before escaping. Farther away from the centre of the high,
General Weather
Jump to new posts Re: Brisbane adjusted seasonal rainfalls. by retired weather man @ Today at 16:22

Brisbane adjusted seasonal rainfall - Oct,Nov,Dec - the normal thunderstorm season. 2010 is a standout as it reflects the early start to a big summer wet. I will now prepare data for a further series of graphs - this time in 4 monthly blocks - Dec,
General Weather
Look at that period 1900 - 1950. Wowsers, so dry.
General Weather
Jump to new posts Re: Brisbane adjusted seasonal rainfalls. by retired weather man @ Today at 15:53

Brisbane adjusted seasonal rainfall - Jul,Aug,Sep - Driest months, again with the occasional ECL. The difference between the two often quoted major drought periods really stands out here. The final graph in this series available shortly..
General Science
Jump to new posts Re: Earthquakes by Knot @ Today at 15:50

Solar minimums & uptick and volcanoes with silica rich magma. Interestingly, Raikoke last exploded during the minimum phase of cycle 15 in 1924 and before that at the end of the Maunder Minimum in 1765 and 1778. Some researchers posit gamma rays ( wh
General Weather
Originally Posted By: KinoGreat stuff, RWM. I'm hoping that your statement "as time is now of the essence" isn't a reference to some bad news on your behalf? Ditto. @RWM you are a scholar and a gentleman
General Weather
Jump to new posts Re: Brisbane adjusted seasonal rainfalls. by retired weather man @ Today at 15:30

Blair, The short Brisbane gap was interpolated and averaged between Greenslopes Hospital, Toowong Bowls Club, Ashgrove Bowls Club, Botanical Gardens. All figures were very close so in interpolation and converted to percentages, the error rate woul
General Weather
Originally Posted By: BoM The immediate likelihood of El Niņo developing has passed, meaning the ENSO Outlook has been reset to INACTIVE. While the possibility of El Niņo can't be completely ruled out for 2019, the tropical Pacific Ocean is more like
General Weather
Jump to new posts Re: Brisbane adjusted seasonal rainfalls. by Blair Trewin @ Today at 15:06

Interesting. Which sites did you use? (Often for Brisbane rainfall we use the old Regional Office site and the current AWS, but that has a gap from 1986-1999 for temperature and 1994-1999 for rainfall). 1902 was definitely a standout dry year, altho
Victoria
Looks to do the oft repeated shadow dance around us P. Usually get a bit out of them, maybe 2 to 4 mm ?
General Weather
To the naked eye, the period late 1890's til 1930 hasn't been matched since for it's dryness.
General Weather
Jump to new posts Re: Brisbane adjusted seasonal rainfalls. by retired weather man @ Today at 12:54

Brisbane adjusted seasonal rainfall - Apr,May,Jun - the predominant NW cloud band, with some ECL's - months. Of interest are the constant high totals from the 1860's, and again from the mid 1960's. Once again the Federation Drought totals are gene
NSW / ACT
Jump to new posts Re: NSW Day to Day Weather - 2019 by Kino @ Today at 12:42

Getting darker here - radar + satpic shows some stream showers trying to get happening. 9mm last night (only 1-5mm was forecast) takes this event to 24mm, which is better than I expected but still has us ~170mm behind average til end of June. The m
General Weather
Jump to new posts Juno & Jupiter by Kino @ Today at 12:37

Weather, on another planet, but this is far to spectacular to miss - amazing stuff! http://www.beautyofplanet.com/nasas-1-bi...nIEVX0SygOtYe3c
NSW / ACT
Jump to new posts Re: NSW Day to Day Weather - 2019 by Adaminaby Angler @ Today at 12:05

Originally Posted By: kizzJust as the maritime cloud cover starts to ease off from the east there is now a large swathe of high cloud now approaching from the west. I can already see the first wispy cirrus on the western horizon. The June gloom cont
SE QLD / NE NSW
Jump to new posts Re: SEQLD / NENSW Day to Day Weather - 2019 by NotsohopefulPete @ Today at 11:45

Hi again glenno71. I just realized CJI has explained some aspects, but I assumed you were after a more local type explanation. And now Ken as well.
SE QLD / NE NSW
Jump to new posts Re: SEQLD / NENSW Day to Day Weather - 2019 by Ken Kato @ Today at 11:44

Originally Posted By: gleno71One thing I would love to know if Ken or someone can answer this please. I have in the past spoke about how we tend to get showers and rain from High pressure systems and so forth. It seems to mainly effect eastern Austr
General Weather
BoM update their ENSO outlook today so that will give us an idea where they think things are heading. Still think given the current conditions that they possibly may downgrade to inactive, though most likely will stay on the alert side of things.
General Science
Jump to new posts Re: Earthquakes by Kino @ Today at 11:29

Following on from this massive quake, a volcano erupted that has been dead for 95 years! Quote: The eruption of the Raikoke volcano located in the Kuril Islands (Russian archipelago NW Pacific). The Volcano erupted on June 23, it was 95 years aslee
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Who's Online
7 registered (StormCapture, Petros, ashestoashes, Bergasms, retired weather man, Steve777, 1 invisible), 65 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
flylady, rainsomemore
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24167 Topics
1527296 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image