Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1000001 - 08/07/2011 17:48 Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can.
Vinnie Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Mulambin , Yeppoon Central Qld
So it looks like it is almost a certainty now due to a job offer (not for me , for my parent) that we are all moving to Rockhampton .. before the end of the year.

Having lived in Australia starting in Bundaberg then Perth and to go to Rockhamtpon.... I would like to know as much as possible about the weather and climate in Rockhampton, Yeppoon etc. I know both Perth and Rockhampton can have 38 degrees, though it would I suppose be more bearable in Perth as it is dry. Though peeople say Rocky is less humid than Cairns ?

I'm assuming SE winds are what gives most of the rain and westerlies are cold ? Apparently Rocky misses out on all the good weather ? and it only rains for 65 days of the year ?

Doesn't Rockhampton flood ? Isn't the economy recovering still ?

I suppose both Rockhampton and Perth have hills to the east ...though Rocky apparently gets no seabreeze !!! What is the climate like in Mt Archer in the hills , cooler like in Perth hills ? wetter ?

Might have to persuade parents to go to Yeppoon !

Edited by vinny06 (08/07/2011 17:50)

#1000002 - 08/07/2011 17:51 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: Vinnie]
Vinnie Offline

Also is there a forum on Weatherzone or just generally for people to discuss Rockhampton weather ?

#1000011 - 08/07/2011 19:02 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: Vinnie]
Dawgggg Offline

Loc: Townsville
For weather events, i wouldnt live there haha.

#1000012 - 08/07/2011 19:02 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: Dawgggg]
Dawgggg Offline

Loc: Townsville
If your looking for good rain, cyclones, thunderstorms, its probably the worst place in australia for it haha

#1000015 - 08/07/2011 19:12 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: Dawgggg]
Seabreeze Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: South West Rocks, NSW
Agree with Trav Dawg. Probably a nice place to live for those who enjoy the drier weather, yet also want the opportunity to have a coastal lifestyle.
Here's where Rocky/Yeppoon/Emerald weather gets discussed: http://forum.weatherzone.com.au/ubbthreads.php/topics/987287/Central_QLD_Dry_Season_2011#Post987287
Kinda quiet, but that's to be expected at this time of year.

#1000049 - 08/07/2011 21:48 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: Vinnie]
PVW Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Thuringowa, Townsville QLD
Originally Posted By: vinny06
So it looks like it is almost a certainty now due to a job offer (not for me , for my parent) that we are all moving to Rockhampton .. before the end of the year.

Having lived in Australia starting in Bundaberg then Perth and to go to Rockhamtpon.... I would like to know as much as possible about the weather and climate in Rockhampton, Yeppoon etc. I know both Perth and Rockhampton can have 38 degrees, though it would I suppose be more bearable in Perth as it is dry. Though peeople say Rocky is less humid than Cairns ?

I'm assuming SE winds are what gives most of the rain and westerlies are cold ? Apparently Rocky misses out on all the good weather ? and it only rains for 65 days of the year ?

Doesn't Rockhampton flood ? Isn't the economy recovering still ?

I suppose both Rockhampton and Perth have hills to the east ...though Rocky apparently gets no seabreeze !!! What is the climate like in Mt Archer in the hills , cooler like in Perth hills ? wetter ?

Might have to persuade parents to go to Yeppoon !

Well Rockhampton is definitely TOO hot for me!!
On one summers day a year or two ago, I was in Rocky and it was 39 degrees while 30 minutes drive away in Yeppoon it was only 29 degrees, Mount Archer is a hill that sits between Rocky and Yeppoon and it stops all sea breeze from hitting Rocky, helping keep Rocky very hot in Summer. I can even remember one winter's day when I was there it was 32 degrees, though winter nights can get down to the low single digits.

I would think Rockhampton would be a little more humid than Perth, though Rocky is quite dry during the winter, yesterday I think the humidity there was just 15%.

Rocky is definitely less humid than Cairns.

A typical day in Rocky is summer may be 24 to 33 degrees, while in Winter it would be probably more like 8 to 23 degrees.

Winter temperatures can get down to 1 - 4 degrees,
Summer temperatures can get up to 37 - 40 degrees.

Rocky does miss out on a massive amount of Rain, due to Mount Archer which I stated before, but SE'ly winds are usually the ones that would bring rain to Yeppoon area.

Westerly winds are hot in summer, but cold in Winter.
South-westerlies are usually the most coldest during Winter, and they are usually the ones that bring the temperatures down into the low single digits.

Rockhampton does flood easily as it's river system is very large. There can be 250mm of Rain to the west or even North of Rockhampton, with Rockhampton getting no rain at all and the river will rise significantly in the city, even though they've had no rain.

Do Not move to the suburb of Depot Hill, it floods there really easily. The difference with floods between Rocky and other places though is that there is much more warning as it takes a long time for all the water to get up the river to the city, usually enough time for warnings to be issued.

Haha, I just noticed you mentioned Mount Archer.
Yes, having Mt Archer to the east means Rocky gets No Seabreeze what so ever, making it very hot on Summer days compared to Yeppoon.

On Mount Archer it is much more pleasant, it is about 600m above sea level so it can get quite cool up there, though there are no weather stations up there too record it, I'd estimate it makes the temperatures significantly colder than in Rocky.

I've been up to Mt Archer during summer, it was 35 degrees and nearly calm in Rocky and I got to the top of Mt Archer and it was windy and felt much much cooler.

I'm not quite sure if Mt Archer is wetter or not.

Overall, this is a nice area, but my advise would be, move somewhere east of Mt Archer, like Yeppoon. The heat of Rocky's summers is quite unbearable in my opinion.

Oh, and I think Rocky get's most of it's summer rainfall from Thunderstorms, it does get a few of storms during Summer, but not as many as some other cities.

#1000053 - 08/07/2011 22:12 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: PVW]
PVW Offline
Weatherzone Addict

In relation to the flooding, have a look at this:
http://www.rockhamptonregion.qld.gov.au/...od_Map_-_9m.pdf

Shows a map of the parts of the city likely to flood if the river was to rise to a flood level of 9.0 metres.

#1000055 - 08/07/2011 22:18 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: PVW]
Rainrunner Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Whitsundays
Although very hot during summer, it is a dryer heat when compared to coastal areas with humidity, which makes the heat a bit more tolerable. Rocky is not a typical Qld coastal city, more like an inland hot/dry one.

On a more positive note, the spring/summer storms are pretty good. Well, they were when I lived there. I think Rocky must fall just south of the area where storms are much less frequent (see nitso's post in the NQ thread a couple of days ago).

#1000068 - 09/07/2011 00:03 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: Dawgggg]
Vinnie Offline

Originally Posted By: Trav Dog
If your looking for good rain, cyclones, thunderstorms, its probably the worst place in australia for it haha

You could say the same thing about Perth - no cyclones, thunderstorms rarely in summer and winter and good rain some years and not others.

#1000069 - 09/07/2011 00:09 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: Rainrunner]
Vinnie Offline

So comparing say Bundaberg's climate with Rockhampton, I remember Bundaberg would have dew points of 22deg in summer, would it be less than that in Rockhampton ? Obviously Rockhampton gets warmer temps.

Is it possible for Rockhampton to have temps like 29 at night like Perth and sometimes Adelaide get in summer or to be below 0 -3 at night in winter like Perth in a cold spell ? Is the winter in Rockhampton there about 5 weeks like Bundaberg before the humidity sets in again ?

Bundaberg got tons of rain in summer when I was there and generally though. I lived in Bundaberg for 5 years and storms seemed to be rare in summer, all the big storms seemed to be on the gold coast or near Brisbane.

Rockhampton gets 799mm a year, Perth in a good year gets 850mm . How much does Yeppoon get ... more ? I suppose you have to wait months for rain in both places as it is seasonal.

Is Yeppoon's climate more like Bundaberg ?

And if SE winds don't bring rain to Rocky then what winds do ? What does cause the rain in Rockhampton if it misses out ? Troughs ?

Edited by vinny06 (09/07/2011 00:16)

#1000071 - 09/07/2011 00:23 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: Vinnie]
Vinnie Offline

Bugger, I wanted to add to my previous post but can't...

579.8mm

64 day(s)

Is how much rain it says Rockhampton has had so far this year. Wikipedia says though that 300 days of the year is fine and sunny and the rest is rain. The wet season is coming in a few months, wouldn't that make the number of rain days higher than normal this year ?

Edited by vinny06 (09/07/2011 00:24)

#1000082 - 09/07/2011 02:13 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: Vinnie]
Moonstruck Offline
Weather Freak

I grew up in Rocky. Yes it it Hot in summer very hot and can get humid as well after rain. The storms seem to be less frequent these days ( according to family still there) but are spectacular when they come - I recall watching electrical storms come from the west. I think also that hot winds come across the Gavial Plains and Yeppon Flood plains which are to the south of the city in the Port Curtis area. I also recall a cooler breeze coming up the Fitzroy in the afternoon. (We lived in Depot Hill close to the river).

Mt Archer is cooler, it also gets quite misty and cold in winter. Suburbia is encroaching into the bushland on the slopes of Mt Archer and bushfires are a problem for that area.

Yeppoon has grown and the highway between the two towns is quite reasonable and lots of people commute. Yeppoon and the Capricorn coast has a fairly enjoyable climate but does get blustered by passing cyclones as do the islands and I would agree that it is not too different to Bundy/Woodgate.

Emu Park and Zilzie have also grown considerably with my recollection that those areas are windier than Yeppoon.

Yeppoon would be my pick of places to live in that area - somewhere high on the Bluff or up toward Byfield National Park. Actually anywhere along the Cap. coast is very nice.
Just my thoughts.

#1000107 - 09/07/2011 09:36 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: Moonstruck]
Seabreeze Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Vinny, if you haven't already found Rocky/Poon's averages, then here they are:
Rocky:
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_039083_All.shtml

Yeppoon (only been recording since 1993 though):
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_033294_All.shtml

#1002933 - 27/07/2011 17:17 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: Seabreeze]
Vinnie Offline

Looks like it will more likely be Yeppoon we go to and not till November.

At least Yeppoon gets decent rain and there is a seabreeze!

So now that is is more likely to be Yeppoon can someone tell me all there is to know about the weather and climate there ? Or is it just wetter and cooler than Rocky ?

Edited by vinny06 (27/07/2011 17:20)

#1005181 - 09/08/2011 12:09 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: Vinnie]
Sandfly Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Rockhampton
Yeppoon is ok weather wise. Much the same as those coastal areas around Bundaberg.

It's pretty boring though, not much to do, bad beaches, poor surf, and no fish. The water is shallow and muddy, and it is prone to severe Trichodesmium (cyanobacteria) blooms from Spring to Christmas which makes the beaches stink and virtually un-swimmable.

Yeppoon gets more rain than Rocky due to coastal showers. It has less fluctuations in temp due to the stable ocean temps which only vary from 26-23deg from summer to winter, in summer Yeppoon is usually a couple of degrees cooler than Rocky, and its also a couple of degrees warmer in winter. I have never heard of a frost at Yeppoon, but Rocky gets one or two every couple of years.

#1005474 - 11/08/2011 13:49 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: Sandfly]
Vinnie Offline

I think Yeppoon from what I read is a couple degrees cooler than Rocky in winter not warmer.

#1005641 - 12/08/2011 09:39 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: Vinnie]
Sandfly Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Rockhampton
Last 5 days Min and Max Rocky v Yepoon. (Yeppoon) figures are those in brackets.

Thur 11th 11 (9.8) 29 (28)
Wed 10th 5.5 (7.8) 26.8 (23.3)
Tue 9th 6.5 (9.3) 24.8 (21.7)
Mon 8th 12.7 (13.2) 27.6 (25.9)
Sun 7th 10.9 (13.9) 26.4 (22.5)

So what I was suggesting is that in winter Rocky generally has lower "minimum" Temps. Yeppoon's proximity to the warmer sea provides this, while Rocky being inland means it loses more heat overnight.

Yeppon does have the cooler maximum however. So Yeppon has a more pleasant climate than Rocky due to it's warmer winter mornings and clooer summer days.

#1012751 - 18/09/2011 03:46 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: Sandfly]
Vinnie Offline

30 deg in Rocky according to WZONe and 23 in Yeppoon . Sounds pleasant. Warmest in Yepppon is just 1 day this month of 27.

#1015968 - 30/09/2011 13:40 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: Vinnie]
SBT Offline

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
I saw a nature show on ABC about how Earth was formed and it had a section on the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn. It explained that in both cases the prevailing winds that blow towards them have lost 90% of moisture before they arrive over them. So that would account for Rocky being so dry.

#1026335 - 02/11/2011 18:36 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: SBT]
Tom1234 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Port Stephens
Originally Posted By: Sir BoabTree
I saw a nature show on ABC about how Earth was formed and it had a section on the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn. It explained that in both cases the prevailing winds that blow towards them have lost 90% of moisture before they arrive over them. So that would account for Rocky being so dry.

Yeah the tropics of capricorn and cancer are pretty bad places to be weather wise. Most of the worlds deserts are located in this region, due to the weak prevailing winds that you mentioned.

"Horse Latitudes

Between about 30 to 35 north and 30 to 35 south of the equator lies the region known as the horse latitudes or the subtropical high. This region of subsiding dry air and high pressure results in weak winds. Tradition states that sailors gave the region of the subtropical high the name "horse latitudes" because ships relying on wind power stalled; fearful of running out of food and water, sailors threw their horses and cattle overboard to save on provisions. (It's a puzzle why sailors would not have eaten the animals instead of throwing them overboard.) The Oxford English Dictionary claims the origin of the term "uncertain."

Major deserts of the world, such as the Sahara and the Great Australian Desert, lie under the high pressure of the horse latitudes.

The region is also known as the Calms of Cancer in the northern hemisphere and the Calms of Capricorn in the southern hemisphere."

#1122912 - 25/08/2012 16:44 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: Vinnie]
Vinnie Offline

I know I am dragging up my old thread but am glad I chose to live near the coast. Currently the app temp is 19 deg in Yeppoon and 29 in Rocky !

#1122916 - 25/08/2012 17:14 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: Vinnie]
Noname Offline
Weatherzone Addict

How that possible for such large difference? If Ballina is 19C, then Lismore would be 21Cish. Why massive 10C difference without geographical influence..... how weird...

#1122921 - 25/08/2012 17:40 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: Noname]
Seabreeze Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Originally Posted By: MathewTownsend
How that possible for such large difference? If Ballina is 19C, then Lismore would be 21Cish. Why massive 10C difference without geographical influence..... how weird...

Vin was referring to the 'Apparent Temperature', rather than the Air Temperature (Air temp at Rocky was around 27/28C and Yeppoon around 22C).
Mount Archer (about 600m ASL) and small to moderate hills to the east and northeast of Rockhampton would be to blame for the difference in temp (both air and apparent temp). Yeppoon has experienced a NE'ly seabreeze this afternoon, moderating the air temp but the increase in wind caused the 'apparent' temp to drop down to around 19 degrees). Meanwhile, Rockhampton has had light and somewhat variable winds and it is rather warm too, the moderating seabreeze has not arrived with the hills blocking the seabreeze. I believe it is a common occurrence for Rockhampton to not receive the seabreeze (or when it does, it tends to be later in the evening).

#1122972 - 26/08/2012 08:46 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: Seabreeze]
Vinnie Offline

Yeah sorry for not being clear Matt, app temp or apparent temp - think of it as the "feels like " temperature.

Eg using Longreach as an example

Currently 15.8 degrees but the feels like temperature is 11.2 deg because there is a dry southerly blowing .

#1122986 - 26/08/2012 10:53 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: Vinnie]
PVW Offline
Weatherzone Addict

MattT, there is a massive geographical influence in that area.

In Spring and Summer it is not unusual at all for Rocky to be 38 while Yeppoon is only 28.
The reason is Mt Archer, it's a big hill about 600 metres (could be wrong) high that sits directly east of the city of Rocky. It blocks pretty much anything coming in from the east to the city, including afternoon seabreezes.

An example of this occured on 28th November 2011. Rockhampton's maximum was 34.7, while Yeppoon's maximum was only 29.3 (both of these were the hottest for both places for that month).

On of the biggest things you notice if you compare the observations from the two stations is the predominantly easterly winds.

#1385000 - 21/08/2016 11:03 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: Vinnie]
Vinnie Offline

Lol found this looking up something else.

Having lived here about 5 years the only thing annoying here is the humidity over Jan-March.

A dew point of 27 deg is hideous .

Probably the next place moving to is the Gold Coast. I assume this would be a less humid and slightly less warmer version of temps on the Cap Coast.

Edited by Vinnie (21/08/2016 11:04)

#1461690 - 13/04/2018 20:42 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: Vinnie]
Vinnie Offline

Lol was googling something and this came up again.

Having lived here nearly 7 years ...

I can say

It gets hotter earlier than Perth, late August / September instead of Perth being mid October - November.

Rocky really does hit 30 deg in winter sometimes ! I didn't believe it until I came here and saw it . Hottest Yeppoon has been last winter was maybe 3 days of 28 or 25-26 , though winter just gone wasn't a typical one.

It gets way more humid than Bundy ... but the breeze whichever direction off the ocean it comes, it makes it so much more bearable.

Townsville seems dryer than Rocky though?

Edited by Vinnie (13/04/2018 20:43)

#1461757 - 14/04/2018 16:14 Re: Rockhampton/Yeppoon climate - tell me as much as you can. [Re: Vinnie]
Raindammit Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Townsville & Bilyana NQ
Townsville's rainfall is variable, thats for sure, much more than Rockhampton's.

Townsville seems to go through repeating ~5 years periods of wetter weather, then drier. Some of these swings are extreme, leading to years where rainfall can be 800mm (or more) below and above average.

Townsville is (hopefully) just about to come out of a dry period.

Rockhampton seems to be much more consistent, usually staying within 250-300mm of it's mean yearly average of 815mm.

Even though their yearly averages are only 300mm apart, Townsville has seen 10 years in the last 67 where yearly rainfall has been 500m+ above average, Rockhampton has only seen 5.

On the other extreme Townsville has seen 9 years in the last 67 where rainfall has been 500mm+ below average, Rockhampton none.

So some years Townsville will seem drier than Rocky (and will be), but other years it is much, much wetter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
3 registered (seaworthy, Alexia, joesk), 339 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Blinky_Bill, Blue Sky, cmonrain, hydzy79, Simon Clarke, V8R
Forum Stats
29631 Members
32 Forums
23945 Topics
1495943 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image