NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1011877 - 12/09/2011 18:51 Coal & CSG ports - coming to a beach near you!
Sara B Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Dugandan
This thread for anyone that lives on the coastline that is impacted or about to be affected by Industrial Development. A place to discuss pending proposals, community opinion and to share information!

#1011880 - 12/09/2011 19:00 Re: Coal & CSG ports - coming to a beach near you! [Re: Sara B]
Sara B Offline
Weather Freak

An information meeting is being held by Xstrata Coal to provide some engagement with community regarding the proposed Balaclava Island Coal terminal development. Tuesday 13th September 2011 6-8pm, Emu Park Cultural Hall (7-9 Hill street Emu Park).
Here is some background info from Xstrata Coal & CCC respectively.
If you are a local and have concerns, I urge you to come along!

#1012939 - 18/09/2011 22:42 Re: Coal & CSG ports - coming to a beach near you! [Re: Sara B]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Bundy and Gladstone
All I can say is God help the environment because the govt won't.

They have succeeded in killing the marine life in Gladstone harbour to the point now that people are being hospitalised from it. People who have contact with the water are sick. They were blaming the flood, that Gladstone never had.

I am told of a trawler owner/operator who is going to be paid 7 figures not to catch anything anywhere for the next 3 years. I think, please note the word think, it is the port paying him out.

We are south of Gladstone, beyond their closure, and fish caught on the reef here this weekend had lesions.

The same govt who has bought in laws that prevent us even putting a swale on our property to 'protect the reef' have poisoned the waters.

Being hung, drawn and quartered would be too good for them.

#1013572 - 21/09/2011 12:57 Re: Coal & CSG ports - coming to a beach near you! [Re: bundybear]
Sara B Offline
Weather Freak

I had to walk out of that meeting... their rhetoric was making me physically ill! The worst part is knowing that these people (getting the approvals up, doing the ahem 'consultation' with community, researching the impacts to wildlife, fisheries, tourism)'know' exactly what it is that they are doing! I wonder if it was their region, a place that they were connected to - if they would care! I don't have any children but I feel so sad for the kids who will not know what it is like to look out and see dolphins, all they will see is coal tankers lining up to be filled by a dirty conveyer belt full of coal. I pity the future generations who will not know what it is to have a feed of fresh caught reef fish, who cannot just go catching muddies or even traverse in their vessels the places that the Gladstone Ports corporation will close (to allow coal tankers right of way). I feel so angry, so helpless and worst part is that most people in Emu Park (Terminal will be located 30km away in Fitzroy River delta - Balaclava Island) are seemingly unaware or too busy to care. I saw hardly any young people at the information meeting which dissapoints me.
anyways I went interstate for a while and the place I travelled through was 'lock the gate' country, it was encouraging to see that there is a movement, but how to coordinate ourselves so that the agenda's do not get waylaid by politics, that is always the challenge!

Edited by cltrax (21/09/2011 13:00)

#1013574 - 21/09/2011 13:02 Re: Coal & CSG ports - coming to a beach near you! [Re: Sara B]
Sara B Offline
Weather Freak

whoa - the fish in your area are also affected!!! Government & Mining Industry will downplay it, no doubt.

#1013582 - 21/09/2011 14:17 Re: Coal & CSG ports - coming to a beach near you! [Re: Sara B]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Bundy and Gladstone
My gate is locked grin Has been for a while

#1013971 - 23/09/2011 18:42 Re: Coal & CSG ports - coming to a beach near you! [Re: Sara B]
Loopy Radar Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Lismore NSW
Originally Posted By: cltrax
I had to walk out of that meeting... their rhetoric was making me physically ill! The worst part is knowing that these people (getting the approvals up, doing the ahem 'consultation' with community, researching the impacts to wildlife, fisheries, tourism)'know' exactly what it is that they are doing! I wonder if it was their region, a place that they were connected to - if they would care! I don't have any children but I feel so sad for the kids who will not know what it is like to look out and see dolphins, all they will see is coal tankers lining up to be filled by a dirty conveyer belt full of coal. I pity the future generations who will not know what it is to have a feed of fresh caught reef fish, who cannot just go catching muddies or even traverse in their vessels the places that the Gladstone Ports corporation will close (to allow coal tankers right of way). I feel so angry, so helpless and worst part is that most people in Emu Park (Terminal will be located 30km away in Fitzroy River delta - Balaclava Island) are seemingly unaware or too busy to care. I saw hardly any young people at the information meeting which dissapoints me.
anyways I went interstate for a while and the place I travelled through was 'lock the gate' country, it was encouraging to see that there is a movement, but how to coordinate ourselves so that the agenda's do not get waylaid by politics, that is always the challenge!

There is only 2 parts to the agenda. Lock the gate, and keep it locked.

#1015764 - 29/09/2011 18:38 Re: Coal & CSG ports - coming to a beach near you! [Re: Loopy Radar]
avalon Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Macedon Vic 870m elev
Just reading this thread and wanted to say that i feel for you guys up there. It looks as if Coal is still King in Australia. As someone posted earlier, God help the environment because our Government has dollar signs for eyes and they could not give a rats about the reef, the residents or the wildlife.

They will let it happen on the QLD coast and The Liverpool Plains. There is talk of coal-seam-gas exploration near Bacchus Marsh here in Victoria, which is one of the vegetable and fruit growing areas near Melbourne.

Good luck to you all.

Edited by avalon (29/09/2011 18:38)

#1015769 - 29/09/2011 18:45 Re: Coal & CSG ports - coming to a beach near you! [Re: avalon]
Petros Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
Why would Australia Govt allow another coal port to open thus export more coal, allowing even more coal to be burnt in the world when its spending $$$$ of OUR money to shut down coal fired power stations in Aust to reduce CO2 emmissions!!

Dosent this proposed coal port go against the very fundamental CO2 reduction policy that Julia is implementing - despite telling us she wouldnt???

#1015931 - 30/09/2011 10:21 Re: Coal & CSG ports - coming to a beach near you! [Re: Petros]
Loopy Radar Offline
Weather Freak

Why? Do you really believe in anything they spout publicly? It's all rhetoric and spin. And the population has been dumbed down so much so that they can lie like they do before every election, and get away with it. Well, I think the tide is turning against them now. The Many people are waking up to the game. It's all in plain view now. With the internet, the ballgame is changing, and the circle squeezing ever smaller.

#1016463 - 01/10/2011 21:09 Re: Coal & CSG ports - coming to a beach near you! [Re: Loopy Radar]
Sara B Offline
Weather Freak

#1017949 - 08/10/2011 12:18 Re: Coal & CSG ports - coming to a beach near you! [Re: Petros]
Tempest Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Petros
Why would Australia Govt allow another coal port to open thus export more coal, allowing even more coal to be burnt in the world when its spending $$$$ of OUR money to shut down coal fired power stations in Aust to reduce CO2 emmissions!!

Dosent this proposed coal port go against the very fundamental CO2 reduction policy that Julia is implementing - despite telling us she wouldnt???

Plain and simple , the govt is banking on the resource sector to get thier budget back into the black through mining and carbon taxes.

The biggest polluter is emssion from vehicles, no mention of that from the govt, they receive billions of $$ through fuel taxes.

The mining sector is keeping Aust out of recession and keeping a lot of people emplyed, thats reality.

Edited by Tempest (08/10/2011 12:18)

#1018182 - 09/10/2011 08:42 Re: Coal & CSG ports - coming to a beach near you! [Re: Tempest]
Sara B Offline
Weather Freak

But that does not justify environmental vandalism. Degradation of environment is not acceptable collatoral damage.
In the process of keeping the economy afloat (in the short term):
They (we) are discharging mine wastewater directly into our water supply,
They are redirecting rivers and streams which contributes to flooding impacts, decline in water quality, sediment erosion & transport, destruction of habitat values and loss of biodiversity.
They are destroying underground aquifer systems and contributing to decline in water quality, loss of groundwater dependent ecosystems and loss of valued ecosystem services.
They are destroying high quality agricultural land - once lost - lost forever. Try and eat that!
They are destroying coastal and marine environments - decline in water quality, pollution, destruction of habitat - diminishing ecological integrity and in turn decline in fisheries productivity & contributing to loss of biodiversity not to forget the impact on Tourism assets.
This is now playing out in a big way at the localised, regional and national level. There is no long-term plan to conserve our environment - nowhere is safe or is valued highly enough. Remember too that your health and wellbeing depends upon continued functioning of the environment (healthy, air, water & soil) along with all the other ecosystem services that you and many Australians are taking for granted.
Mining is now a liability in so much as it is our 'failsafe' mechanism to stave off the recession. One day it will fall arse up and what will we have then? A degraded landscape that can no longer feed us/ support our consumptive needs.
I don't think that we should consider economic prosperity in isolation from environmental impacts or have such short-term scope. I believe that we must consider carefully what it is that we are doing now and how this will affect our prosperity into the future, if not consider carefully how our actions will affect our survival as a nation, if not global human population! Economic prosperity does not sit at the top of my triangle - the Environment does because upon it - I depend!

#1018183 - 09/10/2011 08:44 Re: Coal & CSG ports - coming to a beach near you! [Re: Sara B]
Sara B Offline
Weather Freak

I always thought the plan was to diversify... we should be developing other industries, alternative economies (i.e. manufacturing) so that when the time comes we can affect a transition out of mining. Mining is not, will not be forever - because nothing ever is forever!

Edited by chunkyluxtrax (09/10/2011 08:45)

#1018200 - 09/10/2011 10:34 Re: Coal & CSG ports - coming to a beach near you! [Re: Sara B]
Loopy Radar Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: chunkyluxtrax
But that does not justify environmental vandalism. Degradation of environment is not acceptable collatoral damage.
In the process of keeping the economy afloat (in the short term):
They (we) are discharging mine wastewater directly into our water supply,
They are redirecting rivers and streams which contributes to flooding impacts, decline in water quality, sediment erosion & transport, destruction of habitat values and loss of biodiversity.
They are destroying underground aquifer systems and contributing to decline in water quality, loss of groundwater dependent ecosystems and loss of valued ecosystem services.
They are destroying high quality agricultural land - once lost - lost forever. Try and eat that!
They are destroying coastal and marine environments - decline in water quality, pollution, destruction of habitat - diminishing ecological integrity and in turn decline in fisheries productivity & contributing to loss of biodiversity not to forget the impact on Tourism assets.
This is now playing out in a big way at the localised, regional and national level. There is no long-term plan to conserve our environment - nowhere is safe or is valued highly enough. Remember too that your health and wellbeing depends upon continued functioning of the environment (healthy, air, water & soil) along with all the other ecosystem services that you and many Australians are taking for granted.
Mining is now a liability in so much as it is our 'failsafe' mechanism to stave off the recession. One day it will fall arse up and what will we have then? A degraded landscape that can no longer feed us/ support our consumptive needs.
I don't think that we should consider economic prosperity in isolation from environmental impacts or have such short-term scope. I believe that we must consider carefully what it is that we are doing now and how this will affect our prosperity into the future, if not consider carefully how our actions will affect our survival as a nation, if not global human population! Economic prosperity does not sit at the top of my triangle - the Environment does because upon it - I depend!

Unfortunately most people believe that we are an enlightened breed, somehow smarter than all previous generations, and that our technological advances is proof of this, and that somehow this justifies our 'high standard' of living and makes it right.

#1018201 - 09/10/2011 10:38 Re: Coal & CSG ports - coming to a beach near you! [Re: Loopy Radar]
Loopy Radar Offline
Weather Freak

#1018311 - 09/10/2011 21:40 Re: Coal & CSG ports - coming to a beach near you! [Re: Tempest]
mumso Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Taree, NSW
Unfortunately, it is a mistake to believe that the mining industry employs a lot of people in Australia. It does not. There is an excellent report called "Mining the Truth" which was produced by the Australia Institute and published about a month ago. The report states that the "mining sector accounts for 217,000 jobs - less than 2% of total employment." Apparently the mining industry takes credit for 'upstream' and 'downstream' jobs such as employment in the construction and cafe industries. Quote: "If every industry tried to claim credit for all the upstream and downstream jobs in other industries then, collectively, Australian industries would be taking credit for over 30 million jobs." The Australian workforce is only around 11 million people.

It is hightime that the Australian people stood up to be counted. There are too many people who think that Australia is one big quarry.

#1019038 - 12/10/2011 18:14 Re: Coal & CSG ports - coming to a beach near you! [Re: mumso]
davidg Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Glenbrook/Penrith
The mining industry might "directly" employ 217,000 people but the flow on effect is real. I work in an industry that doesn't soley rely on mining, but without large contracts from BHP, Pilbara Iron, FMG and QR there would be plenty of people out of a job in my workplace. I dont recall helping the Australia Institue conduct their study, nor do any of our suppliers that rely heavily on us. Sounds like a load of left wing "think tank" paper shuffling BS to me.

#1019503 - 13/10/2011 19:36 Re: Coal & CSG ports - coming to a beach near you! [Re: davidg]
Loopy Radar Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: davidg
The mining industry might "directly" employ 217,000 people but the flow on effect is real. I work in an industry that doesn't soley rely on mining, but without large contracts from BHP, Pilbara Iron, FMG and QR there would be plenty of people out of a job in my workplace. I dont recall helping the Australia Institue conduct their study, nor do any of our suppliers that rely heavily on us. Sounds like a load of left wing "think tank" paper shuffling BS to me.

It's the whole left/right paradigm that's BS. Every issue gets co-opted by it.
I see clearly the conundrum we are in. We have become addicted to cheap oil. And corporate and political corruption has resulted in an awful bloody mess that will take many generations to clean up.
But there are problems that make even the oil problem shrink in comparison. How many "Fukushimas" will it take to completely screw life on earth. We have a humungous challenge at hand. Actually, words cannot express the peril we are in.
Sure there are some that lean to the extreme, but the reality is, most people are moderate. Are most of your friends moderate? Ask 100 people that, and I am pretty sure that 99 of them will have moderate friends. And sure, many get carried away by left or right leaning towers of distraction, spin, and downright lies and deception, but most, if given a chance, and enough information on the table, will inevitably take a moderate path.
Lefty bashing etc, will only perpetuate the ages old game of divide and rule. It's the oldest system of control, so no wonder it's the predominant paradigm today also.

#1019771 - 14/10/2011 08:32 Re: Coal & CSG ports - coming to a beach near you! [Re: Loopy Radar]
Sara B Offline
Weather Freak

A meeting organised by KAFDA to be held at the Yeppoon Town Hall, 18 October 2011. This is a chance for the locals & others living in & around Capricornia to learn about what is being proposed and consider the implications & impacts of any industrial development in the Fitzroy River Delta, Keppel Bay, Capricorn Coast. Think Community, Think Environment, Think Sustainable Healthy Future!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
aussie_thunder, Davem29, Joidy, kymm, Pinhead, Steveo1, tramar
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image