Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16 17 >
Topic Options
#1025900 - 31/10/2011 13:49 Re: Snake Spotting [Re: Dawgggg]
Firepac Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Proserpine
The short answer Trav is no I can't. Its always hard to ascribe human motives to animals that are essentially instinctive and do little in the way of what we would call rational thought.

I have been catching and playing with venomous snakes for many years and have only been what i would call 'attacked' on one occassion, and that was Taipan I cornered while trying to relocate on a hot day and not surprisingly he felt extremely threatened and struck at me repeatedly in self defense.

In my experience, snakes are not aggressive but rather are reactive. They do not have particularly good vision but do detect movement very well. If they see movement and they feel threatened then they may react in 'self defense' but mostly will try to just get away.

In your situation (and this is pure supposition) it detected your approach from your footfalls whilst it was in the grass and feeling threatened decided to hightail it back to somewhere where it felt safe ie its hole in the ground, hollow log etc. In heading in that direction it had to cross the track you were walking on, when it came onto the track it detected the movement of you walking towards it. Instinctively it raised it head to get a better view of what it percieved as a threat, saw you and flared its neck as a warning. If you had stood absolutely still I firmly believe that it would have continued to look around for a short period of time then continued on its way. Running away is fine as long as the snake is not too close as its strike speed is quicker than you can turn and run. The good news is though that you can outrun ANY snake on this planet. From memory I think the fastest speed over the ground ever recorded was a mere 15kph, and that was a Black Mamba, so once out of strike range you were safe to run.

I am not sure if that helps you but I am not convinced the snake 'attacked' you as such but it certainly could have given that impression.

#1025917 - 31/10/2011 16:00 Re: Snake Spotting [Re: Firepac]
MC Thomas Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Melbourne
Thanks for your information Firepac. Fortunately most snakes I have unintentionally got too close to have been busy trying to get out of my way.

Maybe the one exception was once I walking along the edge of a creek and a big red-bellied black snake swam straight towards me. The edge of the creek was very steep with only one path heading out. I got out of there pretty quick since I didn't want it blocking my access to the path. My guess is the snake may of not even known I was there?

I have tried in vain to work out what the other snake I saw near Rockhampton. From what I understand, some snake species have a wide range of colours/markings which can make identification difficult (at least for me anyway). On top of that, I only got a brief look at the snake which was laying on a dirt road. When I stopped the car (maybe 5m away) it took off into long grass. From memory, it was a dark brown colour with maybe a bit of red/bronze (quite different to Scott A's eastern brown). If I remember correctly, I also thought it's head was quite dark. The best match I have seen for that is the inland taipan but that shouldn't be present around Rockhampton so I can rule that out. Any ideas?

Edited by MC Thomas (31/10/2011 16:05)

#1025921 - 31/10/2011 16:24 Re: Snake Spotting [Re: MC Thomas]
Markus Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Clare, SA
Trav Dog,
I have heard of such things happening around here with Brown Snakes, especially during the springtime. Snakes around here are extremely active during this period and rather than the norm where they will avoid you, they seem to hold their ground and like you mentioned even 'charge' at possible threats. Perhaps it is due to there need to breed and they might be defending their female.
I hav heard of people walking out their back doors and being bitten in the stomach and snakes leaping out of hidy holes at people. Naturally I tend to try and avoid grassy areas and highly wooded areas during this period.

http://markdawsonphoto.wordpress.com/

#1025930 - 31/10/2011 17:09 Re: Snake Spotting [Re: Markus]
ant Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Overlooking ACT at 848m
(I'm reading this topic very carefully in case there's pictures, I jump quite violently if I am surprised by a picture of a snake, you should see me levitate in the presence of a real one!).

I had an eastern brown (our main snake) come at me 2 summers back, when I approached the compost bins to put something in. He was hanging around for mice, I imagine, but those bins are right in the main thoroughfare from my main steps to the other steps and the clothesline, gardens etc.

He sprang out and I jumped back about 10 feet and backpeddaled, with him continuing to come out at me. I threw some rocks and he turned around at that point and shot under the verandah. (and stayed there as I suspected, fruit netting and the snake guy at Wildcare were later employed!).

I have encountered many eastern browns on my place, and have never had one turn and run, they either stand their ground and watch me, or just lie around uncaring. I found a red-belly black near my pooh tanks one day, and he did turn and run. But the browns, never.

I've seen quite a few squashed on the road in recent weeks, people will aim for them, one less aggressive deadly snake to worry about. The local ones often look silver, or grey, which is interesting.

#1025934 - 31/10/2011 17:36 Re: Snake Spotting [Re: ant]
Firepac Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I can only tell you my experience, as i said I have been catching snakes for many many years, and I am yet to have an Eastern Brown try to attack me. Yes several have stood their ground and I stand mine until they eventually move on. Many have even made a few warning strikes in my direction, but no more than bluffs as after all if the can hit a mouse as it runs past them then can hit my leg when I am standing still!!

I would have thought that after all these years of being called out to relocate them if they were that aggressive I should have been attacked by now, but it just is NOT the case.

#1026409 - 02/11/2011 23:52 Re: Snake Spotting [Re: Firepac]
Markus Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Yeah Browns certainly aint dangerous things, the instances I talk about are rare occurances that were probabaly provoked due to frightening the snake. If they were that dangerous you would hear of alot more bites from them, its more of a take care thing.

The image below was taken at the end of Winter so this (i presume baby eastern brown, don't think we get legless lizards here, the colouration looks like a brown) I found under a piece of tin on plastic covered in straw. It was still in almost full hibernation when I found it, it barely moved. I took a picture (cropped btw) and rebuilt its little home for it. You can see just how tiny it really was by the millipedes next to it. Gorgeous things they are.

#1026416 - 03/11/2011 01:25 Re: Snake Spotting [Re: Markus]
Rime Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Perth,WA
Markus,

I am fairly certain that is not a brown snake. Juvenile brown snakes usually have large eyes. To me it looks like a lizard due to the body and head shape.

#1026417 - 03/11/2011 01:48 Re: Snake Spotting [Re: Rime]
Horizon2 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Parkwood, QLD
Seen lots of snakes here living on the GC over the years. Will write up some when I get more time.

The most interesting for me was a brown snake rearing up its head and slightly flaring it neck at us while it was swimming across a creek at the time. Didn't know they could do that on water

#1026449 - 03/11/2011 09:11 Re: Snake Spotting [Re: Horizon2]
Firepac Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Definately not a juvenile Eastern Brown, my initial thought is Delma tincta, one of the legless lizard species, but I don't know enough about them to be sure. I will find out for you this afternoon when I get home from work.I assume this was found in Clare SA?

#1026451 - 03/11/2011 09:17 Re: Snake Spotting [Re: MC Thomas]
Firepac Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: MC Thomas

I have tried in vain to work out what the other snake I saw near Rockhampton. From what I understand, some snake species have a wide range of colours/markings which can make identification difficult (at least for me anyway). On top of that, I only got a brief look at the snake which was laying on a dirt road. When I stopped the car (maybe 5m away) it took off into long grass. From memory, it was a dark brown colour with maybe a bit of red/bronze (quite different to Scott A's eastern brown). If I remember correctly, I also thought it's head was quite dark. The best match I have seen for that is the inland taipan but that shouldn't be present around Rockhampton so I can rule that out. Any ideas?

Very true, colour is not a good indicator to identify snakes, as you said colour varies dramatcially from location to location and even within populations. Scale counts are the best way but I don't recommend picking up a taipan and counting the scales. laugh

There really isn't enough information to be able to even give an educated guess for the snake you saw near Rocky unfortunately.

#1026467 - 03/11/2011 10:40 Re: Snake Spotting [Re: Firepac]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
Definitely a legless lizard. If you look closely at the side of the neck between the dark head colouration and the dark stripe across the nape of the neck you can actually see the indentation of an ear hole. This is the best way to quickly identify a legless lizard as opposed to a snake as snakes do not have ears.

As for identifying that snake near Rockhampton. What I always used to tell the inexperiennced is that if you cant tell what it is then it is the most venemous snake in the world and stay well away.

#1026499 - 03/11/2011 12:44 Re: Snake Spotting [Re: Brett Guy]
Sandfly Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Rockhampton
My work colleague, having spent many years as a cane farmer, claims to be a snake expert.
These are some of his expert claims and opinions, all of which I think are complete rubbish, but thought I would share for their comical value.
• The only good snake is a dead snake.
• Snakes love milk, a good way to get a snake out of cover or hiding is put a saucer of milk out in the yard to attract it.
• Tiapans and Brown snakes have been inter-breeding and have created a hybrid that he calls a hoop-snake. It is highly venomous and is 100% pure aggressive towards all things. They lay on the top of hills and wait for people to walk by, they then bite their own tails, forming a hoop, then roll down the hill towards the victim, when close enough they stretch out like an arrow flying through the air mouth wide open until it finds it’s hapless victim.
• IF you kill a snake, you have to burn it. Because a snake can grown a new head overnight if not completely destroyed.
• Tiger snakes can travel at 100kms per hr over short distances.
• Snakes have to expel their venom regularly or their glands swell up and they die. That’s why the go looking for people and dogs to bite.
• When they bite they also suck blood, once they get the taste of blood they will keep coming back looking for more.

#1026503 - 03/11/2011 12:52 Re: Snake Spotting [Re: Sandfly]
MC Thomas Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Melbourne
Thanks Firepac and Brett, pretty much as I thought. Very hard to identify a snake with very limited information. I am quite sure it would have been a venomous snake. It wasn't a python and it was quite large so that rules out alot of other species. Unfortunately I will have to say either king brown, eastern brown or coastal taipan.

#1026505 - 03/11/2011 12:59 Re: Snake Spotting [Re: Sandfly]
Firepac Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Sandfly
My work colleague, having spent many years as a cane farmer, claims to be a snake expert.
These are some of his expert claims and opinions, all of which I think are complete rubbish, but thought I would share for their comical value.
• The only good snake is a dead snake.
• Snakes love milk, a good way to get a snake out of cover or hiding is put a saucer of milk out in the yard to attract it.
• Tiapans and Brown snakes have been inter-breeding and have created a hybrid that he calls a hoop-snake. It is highly venomous and is 100% pure aggressive towards all things. They lay on the top of hills and wait for people to walk by, they then bite their own tails, forming a hoop, then roll down the hill towards the victim, when close enough they stretch out like an arrow flying through the air mouth wide open until it finds it’s hapless victim.
• IF you kill a snake, you have to burn it. Because a snake can grown a new head overnight if not completely destroyed.
• Tiger snakes can travel at 100kms per hr over short distances.
• Snakes have to expel their venom regularly or their glands swell up and they die. That’s why the go looking for people and dogs to bite.
• When they bite they also suck blood, once they get the taste of blood they will keep coming back looking for more.

Yeah, I have heard those and many others over the years and exactly as you said they are 100% false.

#1026520 - 03/11/2011 13:50 Re: Snake Spotting [Re: Firepac]
Markus Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Thanks guys. I wasn't really sure what it was because it looked a bit 'fat' to be one but I have never seen anything like it before, not around here at least. Yeah found just north of. Had a look at the species you mentioned and it aint found anywhere very close to here but there are exceptions. Regardless I was very careful around it as the last person at our school that played with a 'legless lizard' ended up being bitten by a brown lol.

Looks like a Moller's Delma (delma molleri). Same markings, colour, head shape but its lacking the long tail

Edited by Markus (03/11/2011 13:56)

http://markdawsonphoto.wordpress.com/

#1026541 - 03/11/2011 15:02 Re: Snake Spotting [Re: Markus]
missychop Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: brisneyland
I found these about a month ago at Tamborine QLD, I dont have a snake phobia so I enjoyed watching them. A few people seem to thing they were tigers, so a catcher was called given the close proximity to the house and workshop ( and our birds!) but they moved on.. or are hiding very well! [img:left][/img]
[img:left][/img] [img:left][/img]

#1026562 - 03/11/2011 16:18 Re: Snake Spotting [Re: missychop]
shama Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Frenchs Forest, Petrie, QLD (H...
Wow at all the snake pics! I've only been in Australia for 4 years, and haven't seen a snake (apart from those in captivity) since being here... to be fair though I don't venture into the country/bush much! I'm sure the first time I do I will be scared witless!

Having said that, after reading Travs story a few days ago, and I then went onto to dream I was on a storm chase, which turned into taking photos of tornado damage, only to end up at a swamp with 5 or 6 other WZ'ers and getting attacked by a snake! smile So no more scary snake stories please... smile
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe habour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover....

#1026615 - 03/11/2011 19:20 Re: Snake Spotting [Re: Markus]
Firepac Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Markus

Looks like a Moller's Delma (delma molleri). Same markings, colour, head shape but its lacking the long tail

Yes, its a Delma Molleri as you suggested.

#1026626 - 03/11/2011 20:18 Re: Snake Spotting [Re: Firepac]
Seabreeze Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: South West Rocks, NSW
I've only seen three snakes in my 21 years of existence. In the seven years I lived in the bush, I never saw a snake. The first time I saw a snake was when I was about fifteen at my mum's friends place near Kempsey, and it was only a little green looking snake that was wandering along the wooden fence minding his own business.
About three weeks ago, I saw my second snake on Heathersleigh Road (near Armidale). It was dark brown, and quickly darted back into the long grass as my car got nearer.
My third snake, I saw two days ago on Ryanda Creek Road (near Ben Lomond). It was black, and was just very slowly slithering its way across the gravel road. I attempted to run over it (because I felt like it), but it was just quick enough to avoid me.

#1026662 - 03/11/2011 22:44 Re: Snake Spotting [Re: Seabreeze]
Jules J Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: West of Biggenden Qld
Firepac not sure you can identify this one, taken in Cutta Cutta Caves, NT. He/she was very sedate & more interested in drinking than me...... thankfully. He/she did embark on a couple of extra posses for the camera before slithering off into the darkness. grin

As for redbelly blacks, my biggest nightmare! Been chased & struck at by several mainly during spring when out mustering & chased by one when I was on a motorbike, dang they can move! I've had several browns join me in the dam for a swim, so now have a lovely big swimming pool just for me bounce

Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16 17 >

Who's Online
5 registered (Knot, bundybear, Wave Rider, 2 invisible), 285 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Ree, tiz
Forum Stats
29309 Members
32 Forums
23640 Topics
1456059 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image