Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1043731 - 15/12/2011 08:51 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: boxsey]
stormy_bec Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Kimberley Station Qld
Thanks boxsey for the fascinating read. Even the family history. I live in wondai. So the link is there for me too. Keep writing as you are an amazing researcher and writer.

#1094581 - 22/03/2012 09:06 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: PDDave]
boxsey Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Aitkenvale, Townsville
Just read a police report on facebook that says the Burketown Pub has been destroyed by fire, and that it is suspicious. Terrible news.

#1094599 - 22/03/2012 10:03 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: boxsey]
SBT Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
Bugger thats no good Boxey. That place is central to the Burketown Cyclone history.

#1094641 - 22/03/2012 12:06 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: SBT]
boxsey Offline
Weather Freak

Also central to the courting history of myself and my now husband! Devastating!

#1094650 - 22/03/2012 12:54 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: boxsey]
Majors Daughter Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Mysterton Townsville
Hi Boxsey, I Have been a member of this forum for three years and only posted three times in that period (always reading it though :)). I could not sit here idly without telling you that your research and written recount is amazing, gripping and I look forward to reading more on your discoveries. I agree with SBT...would make a great novel!

#1094720 - 22/03/2012 17:33 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: Majors Daughter]
boxsey Offline
Weather Freak

Glad you enjoyed it Majors Daughter! I love history and weather...and they collided here in an amazing way.

A sad site...the burnt out remains of the Burketown Pub.

#1094959 - 23/03/2012 01:01 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: boxsey]
TC Qotsa Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Kirwan
I just discovered this thread Boxsey. That was an excellent read, it's a shame that the pub has been burnt down though. Do you think any of it will be salvageable?

#1095023 - 23/03/2012 10:41 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: TC Qotsa]
LightningLucy Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: east of ipswich
hi,what an interesting read..thankyou.My sister works/worked behind the bar at the pub and yeah it is such a shame its now gone.

#1095364 - 24/03/2012 14:22 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: LightningLucy]
Gordon Bennett Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Port Moresby.
What a sad ending to the story. Thank you for sharing Boxsey, I had some work to do in the garden and I thought I would just take a quick look at the WZ forum, and what a gem of a story. Even got a cold beer out for the longer newspaper article!

Cheers!

#1095367 - 24/03/2012 14:30 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: Dawgggg]
boxsey Offline
Weather Freak

Trav, just saw this from a few pages back. LOL'ing to myself...because your family knows my family, and I didn't realise that at the time you wrote it. See if you can work out the connection...perhaps ask your dad! I believe you have even been to my house.....

Originally Posted By: OzCyChaser Trav
Wow boxesy, myself having lived in Normanton for a few years and making lots of trips to burketown over the years, I really am interested in this thread. It's almost like a personal thing to be reading about what had happened to those towns.

#1095400 - 24/03/2012 16:43 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: Brett Guy]
Maisie Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bluewater Park,Nth of Townsvil...
Hi Boxsey
The compensation paid looks to be 76 pound 6 shillings which is equal to $168.20 Australian Dollars.
I am very involved in Family History and have seen this type of money information before.

That was a LOT of money back then.
Even though he asked for more compensation this amount is huge for 1887.

Plus I am old enough to remember pre decimal money.

#1095401 - 24/03/2012 16:47 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: Maisie]
boxsey Offline
Weather Freak

Thanks Maisie...he did ask for 120 pounds, so 76 pounds is probably correct. I thought it was 6, which would have been pretty measly.

#1095712 - 25/03/2012 19:58 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: boxsey]
Maisie Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Boxsey
When I did my conversion yesterday I was on my way out, after reviewing it with more time the conversion would be 76 Pounds 6 Shillings = $183.12 not as above. Based on the conversion of the Pound in the 1880,s to the current Aussie Dollar.

Sorry for the wrong info

Just for anyone interested the Pounds, Shillings and Pence of our pre 1966 currency is calculated in 12,s not 10,s as our current dollar is.

Edited by Maisie (25/03/2012 20:01)

#1095713 - 25/03/2012 20:00 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: Maisie]
boxsey Offline
Weather Freak

No worries Maisie! You were still close. It'd be interesting to know how many loaves of bread or some other thing like that it would buy....to make it more meaningful, kwim?

#1095716 - 25/03/2012 20:05 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: boxsey]
Maisie Offline
Weatherzone Addict

It wouldnt be much now but a lot then,probably only tuppence which to those who don't know is equal to 2c and that would have been a lot of money.
Even when I married in 1967, my husband worked in a mill 6 days for a wage of $45 dollars so even since then its a lot different. Bottle of milk 20c.

I will do some research about it.
Actually already found it, a loaf of bread in 1901 in Australia cost tuppence, equal to about a dollar today.

Edited by Maisie (25/03/2012 20:09)

#1095725 - 25/03/2012 20:20 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: Maisie]
boxsey Offline
Weather Freak

I did a calculation (50(loaves of bread a dollar would buy)x 183(his payment) x$2.50 (conservative average price for a loaf of bread today) to come up with $22875 as being a rough estimate of what it might have been in today's money.

It would, I assume, be enough for a now single man to re-establish himself of clothes and basic possessions quite well (given he still is employed, and would probably have police lodgings). Still, no price on losing your wife and kids, is there. Not enough to buy a pub with....he later became a publican, but I'm not sure that he owned it, or was just the proprietor.

#1095728 - 25/03/2012 20:33 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: boxsey]
Maisie Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Very interesting story,especially for someone like me who is very much into family history. You should write down something about the story,especially if its family related. A great thing for future generations to have. I am doing that for my family about my Grandfather. Military Man and English. Lots of skeletons but its his story and I can see your ancestor, if thats what he is has a very interesting story as well.
Family history is always full of heartache, surprise, revelations of unknown things some good, some not so good, but its fascinating to watch it unfold and you certainly have a good start to this story. And they are our family and that is their life.
I have never written before but doing mine on a site called Blurb. You write it as you feel like it,add photos or certificates and letters and its published by them and sent to you finished.

#1095747 - 25/03/2012 21:39 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: Maisie]
boxsey Offline
Weather Freak

I printed out this thread...does that count? I did a lot of my family history in the 90's, before the internet took off. I did input the bare details into FTM some years ago, but I have so much more than that...and no time now I have the kidlets. It's all filed though, so that's something.
This bloke was my g.g.uncle. He had no other kids, and, raised my great grandmother...so is as close to being my ancestor as you can get, I guess.
Blurb sounds interesting, will check out. With the interwebs now, you can find out SO much more, so quickly. Amazing.

#1095788 - 25/03/2012 23:52 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: boxsey]
Maisie Offline
Weatherzone Addict

It doesn,t matter Boxsey how long it takes,I have been doing it for more than 20years, as long as you keep all the info somewhere and when time permits you can always go back to it later. He is certainly an ancestor with an interesting story, something your children and grandchildren would love to read in many years to come.

My Grandfather was in 3 wars ( Boer War as a 15yr old with British Army) WW1 and WW2 (Aussie Army)so he has a long Military History and with a son also in the Military of course it is very important for him to have this story to keep.
Anyway wont go on anymore, this is your thread not mine,but I have enjoyed the trip.

#1097083 - 01/04/2012 02:55 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: Maisie]
sixties Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Cabooltrue North
i must say that was a really interesting read so i thought i's have a little bit of a further look for more information on this event and found this
dated 15/3/1887

CYCLONE IN THE GULF.
Burketown Destroyed and Seven Lives Lost
Further Particulars
The Colonial Treasurer has received further particulars of tho ccyclone from Mr. A. C. Lawson, P.M. and Sub-collector of Customs, of Burketown. The wires in the neighbourhood of Burketown were all destroyed, and Mr. Lawson was obliged to send his message to Kimberly by Mr. Cullen, Marine Survoyor. Mr. Cullen visited the town, and also reported to the Colonial Treasurer that it had been
nearly destroyed by the gale on the 5th in- stant. Mr. Lawson's telegram, dated 11 th instant, is as follows :
On Saturday afternoon, the fith instant, a terric cyclone, accompanied by heavy rain, passed over Burketown. The gale lasted for ten hours. Nearly all the buildings in the place were either unroofed or blown down, excepting the Custom-house and court- house, which are not very much damaged. I have provided destitute families with temporary accommodation in these build- ings. The river overflowed its banks and submerged a portion of tho town, the water being about 1ft. over the floor of the Custom-house. Mrs. Catherine Williams, Mrs. Higman and two children, James M'Ginn, a carrier, and his mate, whos name is unknown, and also a Chinaman were drowned. The wator has now subsided. The post and tele- graph office was unroofed. The books were destroyed; the mails and instruments wore, how- ever, sived but damaged. The telegraph line was completely destroyed as far as its route can be travelled. The repairers are now re connecting the same in the town. At the court- house, lands office and Customs office, the books and records are intact, but the stationery and forms are somewhat damaged. The Divi- sional Board books and property were damaged to a serious extent. The boatman's cottage and outbuildings at the Custom-house, were blown down, and the boat carried away. Heavy losses in horses and stock are also re- ported.
, (FROM OUR OWN CORRESPONDANT.)
(By Electric Telegraph)
Burketown (Via Normanton), March 11.
On Saturday morning at 10 o'clock a terrific cyclone commenced blowing, accompanied by heavy rain, from the south-east, which gradually increased in violence up to about 2 o'clock, when tho most fearful destruction commenced. Tho river rose 2ft. in half-an
hour, and ultimately reached a height of
8ft. above tho summer level. The storm continued for twelve hour. Every building in town was more or less destroyed except the Customs and court-house Somo buildings were completely wrecked. The men turned out and endeavoured to save life, but in spite of all efforts two women, two children, and a Chinaman perished. The loss of horses and stock is very groat. Telegraph posts were snapped like glass, and the whole of the line totally destroyed, as far as it is possible to travel along it. The post and telegraph office is wrecked, but the instruments and mails wero saved by the post- master at great personal risk. Many destitute families have been succoured by the police magistrate and sergeant of police, ably assisted by his wife. Great hospitality was shown to many sufferers by the manager of the Q.N. Bank assisted by the postmaster. Many business people have been hopelessly ruined. The loss to Messrs. Aplin, Brown, and Co. is variously estimated at from £12,000 to £20,000. Two men perished on the road while travelling with
teams.
A very narrow escape from the drowning of a party of engineers in one of the sewers of the city is stated by our (Argus) Dunedin corre- spondent to have happened there on 3rd March : -A very heavy fall of rain, which was accompanied by distant thunder, took place in the afternoon. Mr. Miram, the city engineer, Mr. Cuthbert, C.E., of Christchurch, Mr. R. Hay, O.E., and a corporation employé named Sandilands, went into tho main sewer to inspect it in connection with a lawsuit brought by Messrs. Sargood, Son, and Ewen against the corporation, arising out of recent floods, and before the man on the look-out could give them warning a tremendous down- pour of rain commenced. In a few seconds an immense body of water was fimding its way into the sewer from the hills, and this reached the party in the Sewer while they were about 200 yards from a man- hole. The water rose from a few inches to about 5ft. It was with the utmost diffi- culty that the party kept themselves from being swept off their feet by the rushing water, and they were becoming weaker and weaker for want of air, which had no room to circulate. They stuck together, and by cling- ing to the top and sides they managed to hold on till a manhole was reached. A final effort prevented their being swept past, and they, clambering on the shoulders of others, managed to get out in a pitiable plight. They received many severe bruises, and were thorougldy ex- hausted. No dangerous results are anticipated. Sandilands suffered most. He is a short man, and the water was up to his chin. Mr. Hay i managed time after time to keep him from being swept away.

however i will also post the link for this as there is some other really valabule information to help peice together this puzzle
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/3464917
now the information i'm refering to is tothe right of this article under the title Queensland news full artale here http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/3464912
but to summerise

MARYBOROUGH, March 14.
The Flood Relief G'onunitteo has decided to forward tho remaining £300 to the Central Committeo, mid with a request that £100 bo placed to tho credit of tho Malborough committee, to meet local distress occasioned hy-
the recent flood.
A rainfall of 3in. was registered hero last night. The rain has now ceased, and tho river has oidy rison slightly.
A man named James Collins has been com- mitted for trial on tho chargo of having com-
mitted an unnatural offence
RICHMOND, March 14.
Sevonty-nino points of rain fell on the 11th instant, 3G points on tho I2th, and l8 points, on tlio lath instant. The weather is threaten- ing for moro rain, and tho Flinders is running
a banker.
BUNDABERG, March 14.
Tremendous rain fell and half a hurricane prevailed during the greater part of labt îdght. llie creeks in the vicinity of tho town quickly roso in a violent current that submerged the bridges, thereby blocking traffic. The wind then changed from south-east to east and north-east, earrj'ing perfect sheets of water with it. The rainfall, as given officially, is 5'87in.; but rain gauges in other positions givo G'öOin. Much damage has been done to bridges, approaches, &c.Fix this text

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
4 registered (ScubaSteve, scott12, ashestoashes, 1 invisible), 59 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Aussie twister lover, nthqlndr, remead, Sitilliqaq, Western Blew
Forum Stats
29652 Members
32 Forums
23960 Topics
1497607 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image