Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1097148 - 01/04/2012 12:34 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: sixties]
curious onlooker Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Annandale - Townsville
hey all, just found this thread and have totally been engrossed in the last 12 pages I have read!

Fantastic work there boxsey it really paints a picture, you couldn't even start to imagine how tough it would have been back then. To think what Mrs Higman went through with her 2 children would have been horific and the torment of losing your family like that.

#1097181 - 01/04/2012 15:26 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: curious onlooker]
SBT Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
http://www.measuringworth.com/ukcompare/ I inputed the £76 for 1859 and got http://www.measuringworth.com/ukcompare/result.php

Gives you a result on what £76 in 1859 to present day (2010) £46,300.00

So for average earnings it would equate in todays money as £46,300.00 or convereted to AUD it would be $71,268.20 in todays money. No where near enough to buy a house or even build one but more than enough to buy replacement clothes furniture etc.

#1097187 - 01/04/2012 15:52 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: sixties]
boxsey Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Aitkenvale, Townsville
Originally Posted By: sixties
i must say that was a really interesting read so i thought i's have a little bit of a further look for more information on this event and found this
dated 15/3/1887

CYCLONE IN THE GULF.
Burketown Destroyed and Seven Lives Lost
Further Particulars
The Colonial Treasurer has received further particulars of tho ccyclone from Mr. A. C. Lawson, P.M. and Sub-collector of Customs, of Burketown. The wires in the neighbourhood of Burketown were all destroyed, and Mr. Lawson was obliged to send his message to Kimberly by Mr. Cullen, Marine Survoyor. Mr. Cullen visited the town, and also reported to the Colonial Treasurer that it had been
nearly destroyed by the gale on the 5th in- stant. Mr. Lawson's telegram, dated 11 th instant, is as follows :
On Saturday afternoon, the fith instant, a terric cyclone, accompanied by heavy rain, passed over Burketown. The gale lasted for ten hours. Nearly all the buildings in the place were either unroofed or blown down, excepting the Custom-house and court- house, which are not very much damaged. I have provided destitute families with temporary accommodation in these build- ings. The river overflowed its banks and submerged a portion of tho town, the water being about 1ft. over the floor of the Custom-house. Mrs. Catherine Williams, Mrs. Higman and two children, James M'Ginn, a carrier, and his mate, whos name is unknown, and also a Chinaman were drowned. The wator has now subsided. The post and tele- graph office was unroofed. The books were destroyed; the mails and instruments wore, how- ever, sived but damaged. The telegraph line was completely destroyed as far as its route can be travelled. The repairers are now re connecting the same in the town. At the court- house, lands office and Customs office, the books and records are intact, but the stationery and forms are somewhat damaged. The Divi- sional Board books and property were damaged to a serious extent. The boatman's cottage and outbuildings at the Custom-house, were blown down, and the boat carried away. Heavy losses in horses and stock are also re- ported.
, (FROM OUR OWN CORRESPONDANT.)
(By Electric Telegraph)
Burketown (Via Normanton), March 11.
On Saturday morning at 10 o'clock a terrific cyclone commenced blowing, accompanied by heavy rain, from the south-east, which gradually increased in violence up to about 2 o'clock, when tho most fearful destruction commenced. Tho river rose 2ft. in half-an
hour, and ultimately reached a height of
8ft. above tho summer level. The storm continued for twelve hour. Every building in town was more or less destroyed except the Customs and court-house Somo buildings were completely wrecked. The men turned out and endeavoured to save life, but in spite of all efforts two women, two children, and a Chinaman perished. The loss of horses and stock is very groat. Telegraph posts were snapped like glass, and the whole of the line totally destroyed, as far as it is possible to travel along it. The post and telegraph office is wrecked, but the instruments and mails wero saved by the post- master at great personal risk. Many destitute families have been succoured by the police magistrate and sergeant of police, ably assisted by his wife. Great hospitality was shown to many sufferers by the manager of the Q.N. Bank assisted by the postmaster. Many business people have been hopelessly ruined. The loss to Messrs. Aplin, Brown, and Co. is variously estimated at from £12,000 to £20,000. Two men perished on the road while travelling with
teams.
A very narrow escape from the drowning of a party of engineers in one of the sewers of the city is stated by our (Argus) Dunedin corre- spondent to have happened there on 3rd March : -A very heavy fall of rain, which was accompanied by distant thunder, took place in the afternoon. Mr. Miram, the city engineer, Mr. Cuthbert, C.E., of Christchurch, Mr. R. Hay, O.E., and a corporation employé named Sandilands, went into tho main sewer to inspect it in connection with a lawsuit brought by Messrs. Sargood, Son, and Ewen against the corporation, arising out of recent floods, and before the man on the look-out could give them warning a tremendous down- pour of rain commenced. In a few seconds an immense body of water was fimding its way into the sewer from the hills, and this reached the party in the Sewer while they were about 200 yards from a man- hole. The water rose from a few inches to about 5ft. It was with the utmost diffi- culty that the party kept themselves from being swept off their feet by the rushing water, and they were becoming weaker and weaker for want of air, which had no room to circulate. They stuck together, and by cling- ing to the top and sides they managed to hold on till a manhole was reached. A final effort prevented their being swept past, and they, clambering on the shoulders of others, managed to get out in a pitiable plight. They received many severe bruises, and were thorougldy ex- hausted. No dangerous results are anticipated. Sandilands suffered most. He is a short man, and the water was up to his chin. Mr. Hay i managed time after time to keep him from being swept away.

however i will also post the link for this as there is some other really valabule information to help peice together this puzzle
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/3464917
now the information i'm refering to is tothe right of this article under the title Queensland news full artale here http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/3464912
but to summerise

MARYBOROUGH, March 14.
The Flood Relief G'onunitteo has decided to forward tho remaining £300 to the Central Committeo, mid with a request that £100 bo placed to tho credit of tho Malborough committee, to meet local distress occasioned hy-
the recent flood.
A rainfall of 3in. was registered hero last night. The rain has now ceased, and tho river has oidy rison slightly.
A man named James Collins has been com- mitted for trial on tho chargo of having com-
mitted an unnatural offence
RICHMOND, March 14.
Sevonty-nino points of rain fell on the 11th instant, 3G points on tho I2th, and l8 points, on tlio lath instant. The weather is threaten- ing for moro rain, and tho Flinders is running
a banker.
BUNDABERG, March 14.
Tremendous rain fell and half a hurricane prevailed during the greater part of labt îdght. llie creeks in the vicinity of tho town quickly roso in a violent current that submerged the bridges, thereby blocking traffic. The wind then changed from south-east to east and north-east, earrj'ing perfect sheets of water with it. The rainfall, as given officially, is 5'87in.; but rain gauges in other positions givo G'öOin. Much damage has been done to bridges, approaches, &c.Fix this text

Thanks for the extra info! The Engineers in the Sewer is a different event I think...it looks like it happened in Dunedin (those old newspapers seem to run articles together!).
Do you think the flooding in Richmond/Maryborough/Bunderberg were related to the Burketown Cyclone? These old newspaper reports are sometimes dodgy with dates....so I guess it could be. It hit Burketown on the 5th....and the newspaper reports the weather on the 14th...but that might be the date they recieved the report, and it happened days earlier. Hard to work out.

#1097189 - 01/04/2012 15:53 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: SBT]
boxsey Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: Sir BoabTree
http://www.measuringworth.com/ukcompare/ I inputed the £76 for 1859 and got http://www.measuringworth.com/ukcompare/result.php

Gives you a result on what £76 in 1859 to present day (2010) £46,300.00

So for average earnings it would equate in todays money as £46,300.00 or convereted to AUD it would be $71,268.20 in todays money. No where near enough to buy a house or even build one but more than enough to buy replacement clothes furniture etc.

That's a useful tool SBT. Yeah, enough to start a new life, given he had a income, and probably police quarters to live in. Hardly compensation for losing your family though.

#1097190 - 01/04/2012 15:54 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: boxsey]
boxsey Offline
Weather Freak

Also, thanks for everyone's kind words! Glad you enjoyed the read. I think the personal angle often makes such events so much more meaningful than bland descriptions on the BOM site.

#1097239 - 01/04/2012 19:12 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: boxsey]
SBT Offline

Boxey, you are right about teh articles running together, the engineers where in Dunedin New Zealand and had nothing to do with the Burketown Cyclone.

#1100667 - 22/04/2012 11:21 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: SBT]
mickedmoo Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Kununurra WA
Fantastic work Boxsey! Need more of this stuff to keep me occupied through the dry season! crazy

#1100777 - 22/04/2012 23:08 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: mickedmoo]
SBT Offline

Curse you Boxey. I keep going back to Trove like a moth to a flame and I am addicted now.

2450 text edits 1269 this month alone.

Mostly on aboriginal murders in NT/QLD (whites killing aborigines are way out numbered by aboriginals killing their own) but some are also linked to Burketown long after the cyclone though and my wifes family from around Kingaroy who didn't kill any aboriginals but the tone of the news articles would make a Politically Correct Numptee turn cartwheels of faux embarrasment.

#1297025 - 07/01/2015 20:50 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: boxsey]
boxsey Offline
Weather Freak

Not sure where to put this so putting it in here. Found it while doing a new search to see if I could find any new stuff on the cyclone. Seems as this fancy new chart commenced in the same year the cyclone hit.

1887 'NEW WEATHER CHART OF AUSTRALASIA.', The Inquirer and Commercial News (Perth, WA : 1855 - 1901), 5 October, p. 5, viewed 7 January, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66082406

NEW WEATHER CHART OF AUSTRALASIA.

Impressed with the great importance of studying atmospheric and climatic phenomena — not only in the cause of science but practically for the benefit of agricultural, pastoral, shipping, and general interests — the Government of Queensland established in January last a Meteorological Office, forming a branch of tbe Post and Telegraph Department of the Colony, under the direc tion of the Hon. T. Macdonald-Paterson, then Postmaster-GeneraL Mr. Clement L. Wragge, F.R.G.S., &c, who established the

well -Known Ben Mevis observatory, was placed in charge as Government Meteorol-. ogist ; and he based his plan of action on the linesof the Meteorological Office, London, and Chief Signal Office, Washington, forth with commencing to organise new Observing Stations in strict accordance with the most approved principles. . A system, of weather warnings and forecasts was in contemplation no less than acquiring data sufficient to elucidate the nature and peculiarities of the local climates of all parts of the Colony. In order to correctly interpret the pheno mena of Queensland weather, he also arranged

the other Colonies, induding Western Australia, the Northern Territory, Tas mania, and New Zealand should be telegra phed daily to Brisbane, and from information thus obtained a Small Weather Chart was published daily showing the march of changes across the Australian Continent. So rapidly did the system develop that although other observatories in Queensland have yet to be established, the data plotted on the Chart enabled the new Office to issue frequent forecasts of value to the country. During a recent visit to his colleagues at the observatories of the southern Colonies, Mr. Wragge arranged for the wiring of additional data from all quarters of Australia. A new Chart was afterwards prepared, three times the size of the former one, so as te contain this in creased information, and is now published regularly at the Post and Telegraph Office, Brisbane. On it are plotted the isobars, or lines of equal atmospheric pressure, and the course of the winds depending on that pres sure; regions of barometic disturbances are clearly shown, so are the amounts of cloud and areas of clear sky, shade tem- peratures, percentages 'of humidity, quan-

tities of rainfall, condition of the sea and other information. Towns from Western Australia to Queensland and New Zealand, and from the Northern Territory to Tas- mania are conditions of weather graphically shown each day; and farmers, ship-masters, and others interested can readily under- stand the character of the changes affecting a given district. By an advertisement in another column it will be notified that a copy of the enlarged Chart will be posted daily (except Sundays and holidays) to any address in the Australian Colonies for a subscription of (pound symbol)2 2s. per annum.

#1297027 - 07/01/2015 20:53 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: boxsey]
boxsey Offline
Weather Freak

And, an example of this new fangled chart.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/static/ndp/tmpIm...33194-3-001.jpg

#1297028 - 07/01/2015 20:55 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: boxsey]
boxsey Offline
Weather Freak

[img]http://http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/printArticleJpg/7933194/3?print=n[/img]

Edited by Mick10 (07/01/2015 21:50)

#1297058 - 07/01/2015 21:52 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: boxsey]
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Kirwan, Townsville - NQld.
hi boxsey, I have attempted to fix your link, but it doesn't work. I can find it on the net.
2018 Yearly total to date - 794.4mm (1107mm)

#1297059 - 07/01/2015 21:58 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: boxsey]
boxsey Offline
Weather Freak

The first one or the second one? The first works for me. Let me see if I can find it again.

#1297061 - 07/01/2015 22:01 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: boxsey]
boxsey Offline
Weather Freak

Nope, can't remember how I found it. It was a cool looking old chart.

#1297097 - 07/01/2015 22:44 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: boxsey]
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

nah sorry mate cant get either to work. can get the webpage you linked ok but just not the pics sorry.

#1297104 - 07/01/2015 22:56 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: boxsey]
Raindammit Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Townsville & Bilyana NQ
Raindammit to the rescue!!

#1297109 - 07/01/2015 23:07 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: boxsey]
Nerd65 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Cranbrook, Townsville
Worked it out. This is the working link to the article:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/7933194

This is the weather chart:

#1297112 - 07/01/2015 23:12 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: boxsey]
Nerd65 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Cranbrook, Townsville
Beat me to it RD... I was still working it out while you were posting.

#1297174 - 08/01/2015 08:08 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: boxsey]
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

still not working for me, showing it as a black cross with a http error. must be my computer.

#1297183 - 08/01/2015 08:37 Re: Burketown Cyclone 1887 [Re: boxsey]
boxsey Offline
Weather Freak

Me too Mick.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
8 registered (GringosRain, Kino, bundybear, ThunderBob, StormCapture, 3 invisible), 342 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
araT, danz, kimsmith, Tara, Welshmun
Forum Stats
29545 Members
32 Forums
23885 Topics
1489554 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image