Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1035488 - 28/11/2011 12:47 Best weather presenter on Australian TV??
Occo. Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Upper Coomera
Im sure this topic has been already discussed somewhere over the months/ years. ( Mods Im sorry if it has). But Im just wondering who you all regard as Australias BEST weather presenter on TV?
Alot of the weather presenters these days are mostly people who have absolutely no idea of what theyre talking about. For example- last week on the Channel 10 news in Brisbane there was a blonde woman who was saying that there was an enormous dump of rain coming within an hour ( only from what she saw on the satellite photo). But of course nothing like that happened. Exactly which TV weatherpeople are in fact fully- fledged meteorologiststs? There certainly has been alot of controversial presenters over the years. Sami Lukas, Monique Wright, even Grant Denyer!
When I was living up in Mackay- we had Livio Regano ( 7) and John Byrnes ( 9). When I was living in Southern NSW- we had David Brown ( 7) and on the NSW ABC there was a bloke called Mike Baily who were both exceptional in my books.
Then theres the Weather Channel with the bloke with the last name Saunders. Forget his first name. Also Dick Whittaker.
Weather presenters from other staes in not familiar with.
But in my books- David Brown would be the best in my opinion.
Thoughts anyone? cheers

#1035501 - 28/11/2011 13:12 Re: Best weather presenter on Australian TV?? [Re: Occo.]
petethemoskeet Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: toowoomba
Graeme Creed on the ABC and Jane Bunn on our local tv,she's actually a meteorologist and not bad on the eyes either

#1035508 - 28/11/2011 13:25 Re: Best weather presenter on Australian TV?? [Re: petethemoskeet]
storms95 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Northside of Brisbane
David brown and even magdalina rose from ten news wkend isnt that bad.

#1035520 - 28/11/2011 13:49 Re: Best weather presenter on Australian TV?? [Re: storms95]
Mega Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maryborough, Wide Bay, QLD
Graeme Creed is very good, I used to watch him present on the weather channel years ago.

Others include Peter Byrne (so glad we get to see him on regional edition of WIN News now), Livio Regano (some people don't like him but I've always been a fan of him).

I would also say Gary Youngberry but I lost respect for him when he decided to show a GFS +360hr hour chart of a cat 5 cyclone smashing SE QLD while giving it a certain (but low) percent chance of it happening. I thought that was quite distasteful.

Dislikes - John Schluter and that blonde bimbo from channel 10 weekday weather who evidently has no idea what she's talking about.

#1035525 - 28/11/2011 13:58 Re: Best weather presenter on Australian TV?? [Re: Mega]
Occo. Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: Mega
Graeme Creed is very good, I used to watch him present on the weather channel years ago.

Others include Peter Byrne (so glad we get to see him on regional edition of WIN News now), Livio Regano (some people don't like him but I've always been a fan of him).

I would also say Gary Youngberry but I lost respect for him when he decided to show a GFS +360hr hour chart of a cat 5 cyclone smashing SE QLD while giving it a certain % chance of it happening. I thought that was quite distasteful.

Dislikes - John Schluter and that blonde bimbo from channel 10 weekday weather.

Thanks for correcting my error Mega- its PETER Byrne- not John Byrne as I stated in my story. My bad!
Yeah- i dont think much of John Schluter either. Is he reading the weather from his own thoughts/ experience or is he reading from a script????

#1035537 - 28/11/2011 14:43 Re: Best weather presenter on Australian TV?? [Re: Occo.]
AaronD Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
No one likes Tim Bailey?
poke

#1035539 - 28/11/2011 14:50 Re: Best weather presenter on Australian TV?? [Re: AaronD]
apocalypse Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wagga Wagga NSW
I met Magdalena Roze when she was with the Weather Channel (not sure if she still is?), when the Murrumbidgee was in major flood last December. She spoke to me for about an hour and a half, and also sent me one of their weather calendars worth $25 for free, along with a card saying I was going to be an amazing meteorologist. So based on that, I have to say Magdalena all the way!!

Edited by apocalypse (28/11/2011 14:53)

#1035546 - 28/11/2011 15:30 Re: Best weather presenter on Australian TV?? [Re: apocalypse]
Occo. Offline
Weather Freak

Another name that comes to mind is Rob Gell- he used to read the Ch 9 weather in Melbourne- well at least he did about 8 years ago. Not sure where he is now tho. he was awesome too!

#1035563 - 28/11/2011 16:02 Re: Best weather presenter on Australian TV?? [Re: Mega]
Dave-Wx Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Heritage Park, Brisbane, QLD
I would also say Gary Youngberry but I lost respect for him when he decided to show a GFS +360hr hour chart of a cat 5 cyclone smashing SE QLD while giving it a certain (but low) percent chance of it happening. I thought that was quite distasteful.

I know ultimately it all falls on his shoulders as he is the one presenting it, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was browsing extended GFS, and his boss looked over his shoulder, saw it and said "right, we are sticking THAT on air!!!" As it was very unlike Garry, he is usually well informed and presents it sensibly!

Dislikes - John Schluter

As for Schluter, presents and speaks well (does great docco/flashback stuff for Ch 7 Brisbane) but terrible on the weather segment...any way he can find not to mention storms or rain or any significant weather, just so he can say his favourite phrase each day - 'it was mostly dry across SEQ' !

#1035577 - 28/11/2011 17:25 Re: Best weather presenter on Australian TV?? [Re: Dave-Wx]
Jason P Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Lismore, Northern Rivers
Gavin Morris. a former Weather Channel presenter, does our NBN ( Channel 9 local station) weather now ( took over from Gary Youngberry). He is very good and doesn't over sensationalise upcoming systems. Coming from the Weather Channel I'd assume he is a meteorologist and his presentations certainly have that professional feel about them.....unlike Tim Bailey who I think is an absolute tosser. He also does a great job in explaining weather phenomenon in lay persons terms so that the average Joe can understand.

#1035582 - 28/11/2011 17:35 Re: Best weather presenter on Australian TV?? [Re: Jason P]
Things Offline

Loc: Blair Athol, SA
Peter Byrnes takes my vote. I still don't forget when he told everyone off for making up garbage about a cyclone I can't remember the name of last year. Straight to the point, and he knows his stuff.

Only other presenter I've really seen (Don't watch TV much at all) is Livio. Not quite as detailed as Byrnes, but good on him for at least trying to educate people.

#1035583 - 28/11/2011 17:35 Re: Best weather presenter on Australian TV?? [Re: Jason P]
ColdsnapIII Offline

Loc: Mount Macedon, VIC
David Brown is alright sometimes but went through a period, basically at the height of VIC's horrific long term drought, when he tried to downplay every system. To be fair, many systems did fail to deliver rainfall, but obviously there were still some systems that were half decent but every night there was a major system approaching it would be, 'just a few light showers right along the coastal fringe', when sometimes we would end up getting 25mm+ statewide.

Another favourite line from David Brown when referring to the arrival time of showers in Melbourne, or a southerly change is 'showers very, very late in the day', sometimes stretched out to 'very, very late in the day indeed'.

#1035585 - 28/11/2011 17:52 Re: Best weather presenter on Australian TV?? [Re: ColdsnapIII]
Occo. Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: ColdsnapIII
David Brown is alright sometimes but went through a period, basically at the height of VIC's horrific long term drought, when he tried to downplay every system. To be fair, many systems did fail to deliver rainfall, but obviously there were still some systems that were half decent but every night there was a major system approaching it would be, 'just a few light showers right along the coastal fringe', when sometimes we would end up getting 25mm+ statewide.

Another favourite line from David Brown when referring to the arrival time of showers in Melbourne, or a southerly change is 'showers very, very late in the day', sometimes stretched out to 'very, very late in the day indeed'.

Haha- thats right- he often used those terms! But another favourite term of his during winter was- when there was a cold snap coming- he would always say something along the lines of " Very very cold air will sweep up from the Antarctic.." So- in general terms- he likes to use the phrase " very very" very often!

#1035596 - 28/11/2011 18:29 Re: Best weather presenter on Australian TV?? [Re: Occo.]
Robbie84 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Kalangadoo,South Australia
The best weather presenter on SES8 back in the 90's would have had to been without at doubt Jeff Sly

#1035607 - 28/11/2011 19:07 Re: Best weather presenter on Australian TV?? [Re: Robbie84]
storms95 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Northside of Brisbane
John Schluter pretty much reads word to word on brisbane forecast from BOM,

#1035649 - 28/11/2011 21:07 Re: Best weather presenter on Australian TV?? [Re: storms95]
Ruckle Offline

Loc: Woodend VIC 579m ASL - where w...
One of my all time favourites was John Barnett on the ABC in Perth in the 80's. He was quite the dork but I used to hang on every word. Particularly when a big winter system approached. Didnt mind Rob Gell but was always annoyed in winter when he emphasised "cold change" approaching and it was 14 day 1 and 13 day 2.

#1035747 - 29/11/2011 02:47 Re: Best weather presenter on Australian TV?? [Re: Ruckle]
Seabreeze Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: South West Rocks, NSW
I like Magdalena Roze from Ten's Weekend Weather News:

Also, Gavin Morris from NBN News Weather showing weather (the local news/weather is localised also for the Hunter, New England North West, Mid North Coast and Northern Rivers):

I didn't realise until I read this thread that they are both ex-Weather Channel employees. Makes sense though, I just got the vibe that they seemed to have a decent knowledge of the weather. Would like to see Madgalena take over from Tim Bailey when his contract expires. The only thing I like about Tim Bailey's weather is that he always presents it from outside the studio, usually in and around various parts of the harbour. Unfortunately, that means he has no autocue, and can fluff his words and say the most strange things at times, lol.

Sarah Cumming on Seven News is ok, even though she sticks to the script. She has a strong future at the network, and this presenting is giving her more experience:
(BTW, if you have a dirty corrupted mind, you'll probably get a little laugh around 0:43, lol)

Daniel Gibson on Prime Local News is special. He tries to say something funny/weird every night. He also enjoys making blowing faces in front of wind icons and placing his mouth over storm icons so the lightning bolts look like fangs coming out of his mouth. Never a dull moment, lol.

#1035759 - 29/11/2011 05:20 Re: Best weather presenter on Australian TV?? [Re: Seabreeze]
Horizon2 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Parkwood, QLD
Our local weather man ... heh ....

I like him but could be biast as Ive meat him before at his home

#1035795 - 29/11/2011 09:02 Re: Best weather presenter on Australian TV?? [Re: Horizon2]
DaveM Offline

Loc: Bathurst NSW about 700 m asl
Daniel Gibson is a very enthusiastic weather presenter and I think he's really quite interested and knowledgeable. He tries to explain it to the average person quite well.

Graeme Creed is definitely very good.

In Tassie Simon McCullough (ABC) was excellent (Senior BOM employee). Had a fair bit to do with Simon through our Tassie snow group.

#1035807 - 29/11/2011 09:32 Re: Best weather presenter on Australian TV?? [Re: DaveM]
ant Offline

Loc: Overlooking ACT at 848m
Mark Carmody, ABC Canberra news. He used to do the gardening show on the local ABC radio and always puts in something about gardening or plants, and always wears a seasonal plant on his lapel... sometimes he almost wears a whole tree. He tends to polarise viewers with his eccentric, gawky performance but it's refreshing after all the hair-gelled slickos on the commercial channels, or carbon-cut-out girlies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
16 registered (Rainbow Spirit, Snapper22lb, cold@28, mithrandir, Weary, bundybear, Dr Philosophy, wet sky, Farra, kizz, GringosRain, Birdie, Weathergrrl, 3 invisible), 104 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Dale Small, Michael Bath, Ronfishes
Forum Stats
29890 Members
32 Forums
24117 Topics
1521815 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image