Page 2 of 32 < 1 2 3 4 ... 31 32 >
Topic Options
#1049533 - 27/12/2011 23:01 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Oxley Brisbane Qld
Have you ever wondered how big our universe really is? Have you ever considered the size of our Star (the Sun) compared to other Stars nearby?

I hope you enjoy the next two videos I would like to share, as they are truly mind blowing with visuals and annotations of how little we are and how BIG they are!

1. Star Comparison in HD

Here you will see just how small our Star, the Sun, is compared to others in our solar system and universe discovered so far today. Mind blowing to know these giants do exist out there. Truly incredible!

http://youtu.be/HEheh1BH34Q

Here are just two of many photos you can Google search to see from a still photo perspective the sizes of these Stars smile

This is also brilliant – How big is our solar system within our universe?

2. The known universe by AMNH (American Museum of Natural History)

The Known Universe takes viewers from the Himalayas through our atmosphere and the inky black of space to the afterglow of the Big Bang. Every star, planet, and quasar seen in the film is possible because of the world's most complete four-dimensional map of the universe, the Digital Universe Atlas that is maintained and updated by astrophysicists at the American Museum of Natural History. The new film, created by the Museum, is part of an exhibition, Visions of the Cosmos: From the Milky Ocean to an Evolving Universe, at the Rubin Museum of Art in Manhattan through May 2010.

http://youtu.be/17jymDn0W6U

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do time and time again smile

Edited by SunnyDays (27/12/2011 23:02)

#1050141 - 29/12/2011 15:46 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

In providing an update to my post prior to the last one on Star sizes....

The latest update from ACE was that a minor CME impact was detected just after 9:00 UT Wednesday morning. A geomagnetic sudden impulse of 7nT was detected shortly thereafter. No geomagnetic storming resulted.

There may be another impact on Thursday due to an explosion earlier in the week (M-Class Flare). Interesting to note a very active sunspot region 1389 is turning the Sun’s Limb. So while waiting to determine whether we are going to get a minor solar storm I have some short youtube videos from NASA explorer to share with you.

The following 5 videos will help explain in a little more detail information on sunspots, solar flares and solar storms. They are really well done and right from NASA smile

1.This one is excellent in explaining the varying intensities of Solar Flares on the scale of B to X (X being the worst)

NASA | X-Class: A Guide to Solar Flares From: NASA explorer Aug 9, 2011 http://youtu.be/oOXVZo7KikE

2. This is the most impressive Solar Eruption we have experienced this Solar maximum. It had a lot of people in a buzz at the time and I will admit I was very nervous waiting for NASA to determine whether it had produced an Earth directed CME.

NASA | Massive Solar Eruption Close-up From: NASA explorer Jul 1, 2011 http://youtu.be/HloC4xMg4Z4

3. This is a good short video explaining the position of the STEREO Satellites that capture a complete view of the Sun’s surface and atmosphere. They were only launched in OCT 2006 so seeing the Sun the way we can now is only relatively new.

NASA | STEREO reveals the Entire Sun From: NASA explorer Feb 6, 2011 http://youtu.be/qLB5ma2Yz1I

4.This is a quick video explaining Solar Cycles – minimum & maximum and their duration

NASA | Solar Cycle From: NASA explorer Oct 27, 2011 http://youtu.be/sASbVkK-p0w

5.This video shows NASA explaining in a calm rational way what we could expect with the next Solar maximum beginning 2012

NASA | The Truth about 2012 - Solar Storms http://youtu.be/HvJfjVdJ79o

And lastly...... *A Must Watch 5 part Series*

The Discovery Channel's show on what we could expect with the next Solar maximum beginning 2012, and IF we are hit by a massive Solar Storm what could we expect.

PLEASE NOTE: Whilst the following videos are a somewhat alarming enactment they have kept it fact based. It really helps explain Solarflares, CME’s, NOAA’s monitoring of Solar Storms (ACE) and how these Solar Storms do affect us from mild ones to the absolute worst case scenario which is played out during the 5 videos.

But remember we on Earth would have time to react. The quickest a Solar Storm has ever taken to reach Earth that we know of today was 18 hours – ‘The Carrington Event’ in 1859 – it melted transformers on Earth and caused significant damage (mentioned in the videos). Our electricity companies today can turn off power to preserve transformer/grids things of that nature, so we have to put faith in our governing bodies that they are prepared for whatever could eventuate. Because just like our storm seasons on Earth, Solar maximums are hard to predict with how many storms will be produced and how severe they might be. Hope you enjoy - it is food for thought smile

Discovery Channel - Solar Storm - pt 1 (15 Minutes)
http://youtu.be/QIr6nfwpctA

Discovery Channel - Solar Storm - pt 2 (15 Minutes)
http://youtu.be/22H0iiMwjac

Discovery Channel - Solar Storm - pt 3 (15 Minutes)
http://youtu.be/HBYGPUpxVco

Discovery Channel - Solar Storm - pt 4 (15 Minutes)
http://youtu.be/SRI34cV-xXY

Discovery Channel - Solar Storm - pt 5 (15 Minutes)
http://youtu.be/01EdXTjzhvE

#1050524 - 30/12/2011 11:27 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Morning All smile

NOAA forecasters have now downgraded the chances of a geomagnetic storm to 20%. A CME is still expected to arrive today, but the longer it takes to get here, the weaker its impact is likely to be. The K Index hasn’t reached higher than 3 which is still quiet.

Earth is currently entering quite a dense wind stream from a Coronal Hole I showed you a couple of posts back - Proton levels increased to over 20 last night which is the highest I’ve seen for some time. Anyone got a headache? and that’s not from enjoying too many drinks either poke just curious!

There have been two more M-Class flares produced by new active regions 1388 & 1389, as shown below 29 December 2011.

Sunspots 1386 and 1387 have "beta-gamma" magnetic fields that harbor energy for M-class solar flares. In addition, new sunspot 1389 produced an M2-class flare on Dec. 29th, so there are now three potential M-class blast sites on the solar disk. Credit: SDO/HMI

NASA released special footage of Comet Lovejoy - check this out smile

Quick video clip - http://youtu.be/fFC2IU-O8M0

One instrument watching for the comet was the Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO), which adjusted its cameras in order to watch the trajectory. Not only does this help with comet research, but it also helps orient instruments on SDO - since the scientists know where the comet is based on other spacecraft, they can finely determine the position of SDO's mirrors. This first clip from SDO from the evening of Dec 15, 2011 shows Comet Lovejoy moving in toward the sun.

Comet Lovejoy survived its encounter with the sun. The second clip shows the comet exiting from behind the right side of the sun, after an hour of travel through its closest approach to the sun. By tracking how the comet interacts with the sun's atmosphere, the corona, and how material from the tail moves along the sun's magnetic field lines, solar scientists hope to learn more about the corona. This movie was filmed by the Solar Dynamics Observatory in 171 Angstrom wavelength, which is typically shown in yellow.

Did you see it’s little tail wobbling behind bouncing over the magnetic field lines? Pretty cool footage - below is a photo smile

Now for something quite beautiful... from Spaceweather.com

MOTHER OF PEARL: As December draws to a close, the first polar stratospheric clouds (PSCs) of northern winter are forming around the Arctic Circle. Anders Gjørwad Hagen of Vinstra, Norway, photographed this specimen on Dec. 27th

Also known as "nacreous" or "mother of pearl" clouds, icy PSCs form in the lower stratosphere when temperatures drop to around minus 85ºC. Sunlight shining through tiny ice particles ~10µm across produce the characteristic bright iridescent colors by diffraction and interference.

The display Hagen witnessed formed in the wake of "Dagmar," a storm that "hit the coast of Norway with hurricane strength on Dec. 25th and 26th," says Hagen. "Record breaking winds up to 145 mph were recorded. While people on the coast dealt with the aftermath, photo enthusiasts inland saw the effects of high altitude winds in these colorful clouds. It was a beautiful display, but not comfortable to think of all the suffering lying behind it."

Hope you enjoy the updates and information - Have a good day smile

Edited by SunnyDays (30/12/2011 11:31)

#1050591 - 30/12/2011 16:22 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
GDL Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Bowen Mountain NSW
love your work Sunny Days thank you GDL

#1050687 - 30/12/2011 22:37 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: GDL]
PlumbBob Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Ashmore Gold Coast
All interesting Stuff Sunnydays, great coverage, well done . .
I have been following Space Weather for some years now, though Not as thoroughly as you have, Basically just check for Sunspots, speshly this year during the suns incline to Solar Max after a somewhat rare 2 year solar minimum ?

On occasions when Sun Spots are quite numerous or large I will (weather permitting) attempt to image them with a small telescope and solar filter, so just wondering if you require any additional content to this thread, than I am more than oblidging ?

#1050693 - 30/12/2011 22:49 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: GDL]
EddyG Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: NSW Port Stephens
Originally Posted By: GDL
love your work Sunny Days thank you GDL

Agreed, love the time & effort you put in!!

Thanks Eddy
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eddygroot/
YNWA

#1050787 - 31/12/2011 10:55 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: PlumbBob]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: PlumbBob

On occasions when Sun Spots are quite numerous or large I will (weather permitting) attempt to image them with a small telescope and solar filter, so just wondering if you require any additional content to this thread, than I am more than oblidging ?

I would love you too contribute Plumbob, and for other WZ members watching in by all means feel free to jump in and ask questions, post links, highlight any interesting news articles etc. I can also appreciate many of you may not know much about Spaceweather either and that is OK too.

This solar maximum I think is going to be full of action considering the massive Solar eruption in July 2011 (video link) I shared in a prior post and that the Sun kicked out an X6.9 Class flare on 9 August 2011 – boy we were lucky for that not to be Earth directed eek

There are so many interesting facts about Spaceweather and I'm still forever learning. I've been posting just a little at a time so it is not too much of an information overload for those who are keen to learn. Plus time permitting I’m so busy this time of year.

I remember some scientist type guy writing once in NASA’s buzz room ... what they have learnt so far about the Sun is probably only 10% of what the Sun is all about, how it really does affect us on Earth let alone its influence on our solar system. Mind boggling!

I would like very much to see some of your photography of the Sun. What type of Telescope do you have? I've been saving up for one that I can use to view the Sun & Planets, have no idea of the model or make yet but have found a place out past Mt Gravatt that sells BIG telescopes - however they come with BIG prices smile

Thanks for posting and have a good day - gosh it's the last day of the year. Where does the time go?

#1050841 - 31/12/2011 14:31 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
PlumbBob Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: SunnyDays

I would love you too contribute Plumbob, .
I would like very much to see some of your photography of the Sun. What type of Telescope do you have? I've been saving up for one that I can use to view the Sun & Planets, have no idea of the model or make yet but have found a place out past Mt Gravatt that sells BIG telescopes - however they come with BIG prices smile

Thanks for posting and have a good day - gosh it's the last day of the year. Where does the time go?

Cool as, SunnyDays. You have come to the right person about Telescopes, I have Built a few scopes from the ground up, including Grinding, shaping & polishing mirrors, I have owned about 30 scopes in my days and currently posses 7 with hopefully a new addition early next yr : )

There are many types for different purposes relating astro, Some are very expensive, especially the Larger ones, which dont necessarily mean they will accomidate what you would like to achive ! Others are full of bells and whistles, quite expensive, yet perform rather poorly unless you are prepared to spend that much again and more to equip the scope with neccessary gear for it to reach its full potential ?

After your visiting your mentioned astro dealer, I'm sure your well aware off this and it would be hard to direct you appropriately here as it may clutter this thread ? I therefore will PM you later for further discussion !

By the Way, is the astro dealer you refer to in Logan ? ?

Rgrds !

#1050851 - 31/12/2011 15:51 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: PlumbBob]
PlumbBob Offline
Weather Freak

Yep, I dare say it would be Ron's shop on Logan Rd Underwood, Sirius Optics ?

Link : http://www.sirius-optics.com./telescopes.htm

#1050858 - 31/12/2011 16:14 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: PlumbBob]
PlumbBob Offline
Weather Freak

Special NOTE : to all ! Please be aware Not to look at he Sun with the Unaiaded Eye, Especially with a telescope or binoculars as these optical intruments Magnify the Solar Light which will burn your Retina in less than a second.
Only can you observe or image the Sun with Approved quality Solar Filters !

Safe observing !

#1051321 - 02/01/2012 15:58 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: PlumbBob]
Gordon Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Loomberah 685m ASL
Plumbbob, please remove my Comet Lovejoy image from your web page, I see you have it listed as your latest upload in your profile. You have removed my copyright notice from the image, that amounts to theft.

#1051390 - 02/01/2012 20:59 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Solar Update:
Happy New Year Everyone!

Solar activity has declined over the last 24 hours but not before another two M-Class flares were released New Years Eve - the Sun's version of fireworks smile , the largest being an M2.4. Sunspot 1384 rotated onto the western limb and out of direct Earth view. Active Sunspot 1389 remains a large area, but is losing magnetic complexity. There will remain a chance for C-Class flares and only a very slight risk of another M-Class event.

Now for something I really don’t know much about but it is quite fascinating;

The following is quoted directly from Spaceweather.com....

NEW YEAR'S FIREBALL: The first bright fireball of the New Year streaked over the southwestern USA on Jan. 1st at 03:15 UT. It was visible from Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico. "I was able to see it out my window," reports amateur astronomer Thomas Ashcraft from his rural observatory outside of Santa Fe. "It was brilliant turquoise blue." Ashcraft operates a combination all-sky camera/forward-scatter meteor radar system, which captured the fireball's flight.

If you are interested to hear it go to Spaceweather.com (ensure the date is January 2 2011) and click on the image to play the movie--and don't forget to turn up the volume to hear the ghostly radar echo:

Cameras belonging to NASA's All-Sky Fireball Network also recorded the fireball from multiple locations. An orbit calculated from those data show that the fireball was a random meteoriod hailing from the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. It hit Earth's atmosphere at 26 km/s (58,000 mph), which is relatively slow compared to other meteoroids, and disintegrated 82 km above Earth's surface.

I've have listened to a couple of recordings of the Sun and other objects floating past Earth...they do sound eerie at times.

P.S. Please ignore my prior earthquake post I was having a senior moment and posted it in the wrong thread - I've asked the Mods to delete it for me. crazy blush

#1051394 - 02/01/2012 21:10 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: PlumbBob]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Plumbob, yes that is the shop - all I could remember was that is was out past Mt Gravatt somewhere. Nice big telescopes in there. I would like to get one to view the Sun - and yes you must always have a special fitted solar filter to view the Sun - Never look at the Sun without one smile

#1051651 - 03/01/2012 22:24 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
PlumbBob Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: SunnyDays

Hi Plumbob, yes that is the shop - all I could remember was that is was out past Mt Gravatt somewhere. Nice big telescopes in there. I would like to get one to view the Sun - and yes you must always have a special fitted solar filter to view the Sun - Never look at the Sun without one smile

Right on Sunnydays, I purchased my main Mount and Rig from Ron some years ago ? One thing with solar viewing
is that you do Not need a large scope, Large scopes are for deep sky faint fuzzies like galaxies and nebulae etc ?
I see there is a good size spot on the Sun at the moment, AR#1309, I should try and capture it tomoro with a solar filter on the end of my 4inch diameter refractor ? It will only show the Raw Sunspot, Not like some specially made Solar telescopes which need dedicated imaging cameras as DSLR's dont come to focus because of there design ? Using such Imaging cameras or Eyepieces for visual work they do show great views of Filaments, Coronal Mass Ejections & Prominences, whoo ! And these are quite small scopes, only 50-60 or 70mm in diameter, quite expensive tho, smallest start around $700 approx and can double that for the next size up etc , Wow, not a cheap hobby, Lol ?
Best to have a good look around on the web etc, learn about them before making a commitment ?
Anyway, I'll see what I can capture of AR# 1309 tomoro ? nothing flash tho, as I tend to dabble in a lot of fields rather than specialize in one : )
Hope this is helpful , , ,

#1051656 - 03/01/2012 22:37 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: PlumbBob]
PlumbBob Offline
Weather Freak

That was AR# 1389 actually : ) and a nice 1388 next to it, should make a nice pair ?

#1051891 - 04/01/2012 18:39 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: PlumbBob]
PlumbBob Offline
Weather Freak

Howdy

This taken with a DSLr and filtered telescope, Jan 4th '12,

Minimal cloud, Gust aprox 5 knots, Quite a nice sprinkling of tiny spots about the Suns surface and three good areas of moderate to high activity : )

#1052484 - 06/01/2012 16:24 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: PlumbBob]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks,

Solar Update;
The Sun has been a little quiet the last two days, however overnight a magnetic filament on the sun's northern hemisphere erupted - a rather large explosion has hurled a CME in the general direction of Earth, but the cloud might sail north of our planet with little to no impact. Just waiting for footage to download and more data from NASA.

In the meantime I'm in a silly mood (storm deprived on all fronts poke ) here is the Sun smiling at us!

Actually on 6 December 2010 you could see a rather large smiley face on the Sun - plus a magnificent filament eruption from what was the mouth of the smiley face.

Below is footage at the time of the smiley face - hope you enjoy!

NASA SDO - A solar smile moving across the Earth facing side - http://youtu.be/-cQNZm1q5_8

NASA SDO - Filament eruption on December 6, 2010 - http://youtu.be/P9Raip0Bd3c

Smiley Face On The Sun? - http://youtu.be/r0TaDfCqFhs

Edited by SunnyDays (06/01/2012 16:25)

#1052502 - 06/01/2012 16:53 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: PlumbBob]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Howdy

This taken with a DSLr and filtered telescope, Jan 4th '12,

Minimal cloud, Gust aprox 5 knots, Quite a nice sprinkling of tiny spots about the Suns surface and three good areas of moderate to high activity : )

Great Photo Plumbob, Thanks for sharing.

The Sun looks so still in images like that, doesn't it - almost haunting. It's a good photo to be able to get that many sunspots in a single image. Keep them coming smile hopefully the far side will rotate around shortly with more sunspots to view and more action. Cheers

#1052748 - 07/01/2012 13:33 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Solar Update

At first it appeared that the magnetic filament cloud would sail north of Earth as quoted from Spaceweather and completely miss our planet. However the CME might deliver a glancing blow to Earth's magnetic field on or around 7 January. NOAA forecasters were already calling for a 40% chance of polar geomagnetic storms (auroras) on 7-8 Jan in response to a high-speed solar wind stream. The arrival of a CME would boost the chances even more.

The link below is the most recent run of the ‘Ambient’ version of the Wang-Sheely-Arge (WSA)-Enlil model of the solar wind and it will show what is currently forecast to impact Earth. Have a read below the animated plot to understand a little more of what it is showing you. It takes a little time to load and feel free to use the buttons to forward, backwards or pause the animation.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/wsa-enlil/ambient/

Solarwatcher produced a video for 6-10 January (Earthquake & Volcano Watch) due to recent solar activity - http://youtu.be/QLtNbVPhmOo
Note: he is predicting another high 6M+ earthquake in this period.

Skyywatcher 88 produced a video 6 January highlighting footage of the filament eruption that has caused the CME expected shortly - http://youtu.be/qSqpBMKKMz4

The Sun Now 7 January 2012....

You can see by looking at the two different pictures of the Sun (taken at different wavelengths) how the Sun’s surface can look so different.

The orange Sun is the wavelength known as the 304 Angstrom (0.0000000304 m) = Extreme Ultraviolet. The temperature is approx 50,000 Kelvin (90,000 F). It is better to view the Sun at this wavelength to show areas where cooler dense plumes of plasma (filaments and prominences) are located above the visible surface of the Sun.

The Blue/Brown Sun is wavelength AIA Composite 211, 193,171 Angstrom – it combines three images with different, but very similar temperatures of 1 -2Million degrees Kelvin. The colours are assigned differently than a single image. Here the AIA211 is red, AIA 193 is green and AIA 171 is blue.

When combined like this it highlights the outer atmosphere of the Sun called the Corona. Hot active regions, solar flares, and coronal mass ejections will appear bright. The dark blue areas called coronal holes are places where very little radiation is emitted, yet are the main source of solar wind particles. And hence this view is better for identifying coronal holes.

Cheers for now smile

#1058995 - 20/01/2012 22:42 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Everyone - it's been awhile smile

The Sun is awakening from a wee slumber and with a vengeance. Two sunspots 1401 & 1402 are interacting on a grand scale. AR1401 has a "beta-gamma" magnetic field that harbor’s energy for M-class solar flares. It’s been unleashing one such flare almost every day since turning the eastern limb of the Sun, and A1402 is joining in the action too -producing two amazing flares.

M1 flare on Jan15
M1 0454 UT Jan17
M1 1912 UT Jan18
M2 1652 UT Jan19
M3 1608 UT Jan19

The M3 is quite a long duration flare, as you will see with the curve at the top of the high point on the plot - These last two M-Class flares were only approx 25 minutes apart.

Here is short movie of the eruption courteous of SOHO – the full hallow Coronal Mass Ejection is heading in Earths direction.

Here is the Sun as I type this and it shows AR1401 – 1402 at the top roughly in the middle

The following images show the last 3 CME’s on the link provided. Powerful geomagnetic storms (auroras) are likely and could be expected on or around 23rd January – also highly likely to produce increased seismicity. http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/wsa-enlil/cme-based/

Here is solarwatcher’s latest clip – excellent commentary and footage as always of the solar flares
http://youtu.be/YJoehhYZXjA

Here is skyywatcher88 ‘s latest clip - he has captured some great solar flare activity
http://youtu.be/SBMrdmubZ24

AND introducing Earthquake Reporter he does quite a good factual earthquake report. AND I love the music – if you want to stay abreast of Earthquakes he is fast to report. He was that quick with this clip the 6.1 was downgraded to 5.9 - USGS
http://youtu.be/JY60rjWpah4

Stay tuned I think we are in for more activity cool

P.S. Please let me know if I need to make these pictures smaller, not sure if it is playing havoc when the page is trying to download. The first two are linked directly through to the Spaceweather where they are hosted if that is the right word to use. Cheers

Page 2 of 32 < 1 2 3 4 ... 31 32 >

Who's Online
6 registered (Purnong, TrentG, Snapper22lb, StormQueen, 2 invisible), 289 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
beefy, falay002, Paul79, Ruckle
Forum Stats
29419 Members
32 Forums
23728 Topics
1469045 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image