Topic Options
#1055336 - 12/01/2012 22:12 Magic Lantern (Canon DSLR Extension Software)
Scottie A Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Spring Mountain, Greenbank
As promised to RoadkillNZ I have started up a thread devoted to Magic Lantern the FREE Extension Software packed full of features for a range of Canon DSLR including 550D, 60D, 600D, 50D, 500D and 5D MkII.

Here is a link to the software's website

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki

Here is a link to Unified the branch for all Camera Models mentioned except for the 5D markII which has its own branch. There is a table with the various features that different model cameras support amongst alot of other information about features.

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified

Basically this software is very simple to install, I had a little trouble for a start but Ill explain that later.

Ill run through the process below as best as I can with a few tips that I learnt after installing on my 550d.

To install ML all you need to do is Download the latest release and extract the files/folders into the root directory of your SD/SDHC/SDXC card.

For first time use you have to run the firmware file included in the files you just extracted to your SD by going into your Cameras Menu and select upgrade firmware version 1.0.9. Now this is where I had some small troubles. Here are a few tips if you are planing on installing.

1. Make sure you have the latest (supported) firmware version for your camera model.

Note: I have a 550D but it should be the same for all models the only difference will be the firmware version MAKE SURE you INSTALL the CORRECT FIRMWARE UPDATE VERSION for your camera model.

2. Make your SD/SDHC/SDXC Card bootable by using the following windows utility

http://pel.hu/down/EOScard.exe

3. Turn your Mode dial to M (Manual)

4. Use just a plain 4gb SDHC for installation of the firmware file, this is where I messed up and tried to use my 64gb SDHC. Long story short DOES NOT WORK just use a plain 4gb. Basically all the installer firmware does is set the bootflag option to true so that your camera can boot ML from any SDHC/SDXC you place ML files on. Once you have run the installer you may use any card including 64gb SDHC/SDXC.

5. If the installer still will not run and all you get is a flashing light when using just a 4gb SDHC navigate to the link below and install the latest firmware again from here even if you already have the latest version

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/Install

Now you should have got the green screen with a confirmation that ML installer has completed, simply switch your camera off once you see this message.

Your camera will now look for the autoexec.bin file on your SD card which will in turn boot the ML files on any card you have placed the files on.

Now you should have ML working!! smile to bring up the ML menu press the trash can (Delete) button on your camera.

So in reality ML does not interfere in using your Camera with Stock menu's and Settings just place in an SD card with no ML files on it THAT YOU HAVE NOT MADE BOOTABLE.

IMPORTANT: Do not just format your SD card on your computer or delete ML files when clearing the card etc, do it in camera and select the appropriate option depending on if you are planning on keeping ML or Cleaning the card for normal use without ML.

If you format the card from your computer it will leave your SD card in a bootable state which will cause your camera to freeze on startup and you will have to take the battery out and use the EOScard utility to make your card not bootable.

Im very happy with the install process, had to do a bit of searching around the net to put all the pieces of the puzzle together thats why I have gone through the process above. The main thing there was no damage done to my 550d and now I have a whole bunch of new free professional features to use!!

I Hope I did not ramble on to much smile and there are some nice tips in there that help you with your install. Now continued below with my thoughts and experience in using these fantastic free features we have just unlocked. Should be posted in about an hour or so got pets to feed etc.

Edited by Scottie A (12/01/2012 22:20)

#1055375 - 12/01/2012 23:19 Re: Magic Lantern (Canon DSLR Extension Software) [Re: Scottie A]
Scottie A Offline
Weatherzone Addict

ML has many features but some of the standouts ill list below I have not really had to much experience with them but will keep you posted as I get more familiar.

Motion Detection

In our case this would be great to use for lightning detection it is basically the same things as the physical detectors you can buy but this is all in camera and FREE. I have not yet had the chance to test this feature but the next time we have a nice lightning active storm ill give it a try.

Intervalometer

Great for timelapses a great feature to have in camera... Have tried this an it works great!!

LCD Remote Shot

This feature takes a photo/releases shutter/starts/Stops movie when you press your hand/finger/object infront of the LCD sensor, which is normally used to turn off the screen automatically when using the viewfinder. Great feature if you forget your remote shutter cord or cant be bothered plugging it in to reduce camera shake.

Audio Remote Shot

Takes photos/release shutter/starts/stops movie/ when sound received through the mic reaches a set threshold.

There are simply so many GREAT features that it will take me all night to list them... I would recommend ML to anyone who is keen on getting the most out of there Canon DSLR.

If anyone needs a little help installing please don't hesitate in contacting me via pm, I may be able to steer you in the right direction. Hopefully we can get more people sharing there experiences and tips on using ML.

Edited by Scottie A (12/01/2012 23:22)

#1055383 - 12/01/2012 23:36 Re: Magic Lantern (Canon DSLR Extension Software) [Re: Scottie A]
Scottie A Offline
Weatherzone Addict

In Regards to Warranty Im not 100% sure on how you stand with having ML installed but it is pretty simple to revert back to the standard Canon firmware ie; bootflag= false.

#1055562 - 13/01/2012 15:19 Re: Magic Lantern (Canon DSLR Extension Software) [Re: Scottie A]
RoadkillNZ Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Jimboomba, Qld
Thanks for that info, I may think about getting this sometime soon, as some of the features I read on the wiki page could be handy, like longer timed shots, autorestart of movies when stopping due to time/file size. But the main thing I want it for is motion detection and as you say it looks fairly easy to setup or remove

Wind is under reported because it is sheltered by trees.

#1055574 - 13/01/2012 15:46 Re: Magic Lantern (Canon DSLR Extension Software) [Re: RoadkillNZ]
Greg Sorenson Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Canberra!
yer i'm pumped about it. A Win News camera man told me about it a little while ago - he said that all of his documentary maker friends who use 5dmk2 all use magic lantern. I just think it's amazing that it's free.... i almost want to donate some money, lol.

#1055737 - 14/01/2012 00:49 Re: Magic Lantern (Canon DSLR Extension Software) [Re: Greg Sorenson]
RoadkillNZ Offline
Weather Freak

I have just installed it on my 60D, it took a couple attempts, because even though I had the right firmware version, it was not the correct copy (probably slight changes between US version and AU version or something silly like that) But all I had to do was reinstall the firmware they linked to over the one I had then try again.

I have not got around to reading the manual to find the right key presses, but found where to turn the bulb timer on, and the motion detector on, but not how to change the thresholds yet, so that is something for me to sort out sometime soon.

#1055741 - 14/01/2012 01:00 Re: Magic Lantern (Canon DSLR Extension Software) [Re: RoadkillNZ]
Mezo Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Under the Meso (or Springfield...
Until someone who is a proven photographer posts about its benefits, I think ill hold off. Certainly has some interesting potential features tho.

Springfield Weather Obs

#1055814 - 14/01/2012 10:07 Re: Magic Lantern (Canon DSLR Extension Software) [Re: Mezo]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW, Australia
Originally Posted By: Meso7
Until someone who is a proven photographer posts about its benefits, I think ill hold off. Certainly has some interesting potential features tho.

I think there are examples in the above posts of professionals using it. They is no question in my mind that it is a very powerful product - go and look at YouTube !

I will however hold off until my warranty at least runs out.

#1055885 - 14/01/2012 12:58 Re: Magic Lantern (Canon DSLR Extension Software) [Re: ozthunder]
Mezo Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Under the Meso (or Springfield...
Yeah, I didn't really do my research before posting that...also skimmed over a few posts. Some good stuff on YouTube.

Springfield Weather Obs

#1069336 - 31/01/2012 23:05 Re: Magic Lantern (Canon DSLR Extension Software) [Re: Mezo]
RoadkillNZ Offline
Weather Freak

Managed to find the button to change the timers, it was the "Q" button, but still waiting for a decent storm rather than just overcast rain to take photos

#1070495 - 03/02/2012 12:22 Re: Magic Lantern (Canon DSLR Extension Software) [Re: RoadkillNZ]
Harry Spotter Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Springwood, Brisbane
Pity they can't hack the 7D yet!

#1100014 - 18/04/2012 09:42 Re: Magic Lantern (Canon DSLR Extension Software) [Re: Harry Spotter]
RoadkillNZ Offline
Weather Freak

I noticed today that someone is doing an Android control program for it as well.

Have not had a chance to play with Magic lantern as much as I would of liked due to this years season and the times it would of been good to use I was either at work or home depending on which was the wrong place to be smirk

#1145459 - 28/11/2012 17:57 Re: Magic Lantern (Canon DSLR Extension Software) [Re: RoadkillNZ]
RoadkillNZ Offline
Weather Freak

Time to bump up this subject again instead of starting a new one.

I tried playing with the lightning detection with exposure levels when we had that storm through Brisbane on 19/11/12 as I managed to get up high to take the shots to the south. But no matter what setting I set the value to, the camera would not manage to do what I wanted. I either got false positives, or it completely missed them no matter how close and bright they were.

I was wondering if anyone who has been using Magic lantern has had any success in using its modes for daytime lightning photos, and if so what settings did you use ?

#1387525 - 16/09/2016 11:58 Re: Magic Lantern (Canon DSLR Extension Software) [Re: Scottie A]
EddyG Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: NSW Port Stephens
Any 6d users have Magic Lantern installed on their camera, if so are you happy with the way ML performs?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eddygroot/
YNWA

#1390125 - 12/10/2016 15:50 Re: Magic Lantern (Canon DSLR Extension Software) [Re: Scottie A]
StormCapture Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Uleybury
I have had the idea of installing it on my Canon 650D, be out of warranty now being 3 years old (Sept 2013)

Looks to be a very neat piece of software with more flexibility in features such as more ISO's to choose from.

Regarding the Motion Detection for lightning, it appears it can be very tricky and some people have used this: Quote "Intervalometer and long exposures might be a better trick."

I found it on this: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5078.0

I'll research it more in detail and will flash it onto my camera soon

#1390148 - 12/10/2016 20:54 Re: Magic Lantern (Canon DSLR Extension Software) [Re: Scottie A]
EddyG Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: NSW Port Stephens
I've actually installed it, haven't had a good chance to use it yet. Has some very nice features that I like!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eddygroot/
YNWA

#1390173 - 13/10/2016 10:03 Re: Magic Lantern (Canon DSLR Extension Software) [Re: Scottie A]
StormCapture Offline
Weatherzone Addict

On my camera now, only on one SDHC card as I use 4 (1 for flowers/landscape, 1 for video, 2 for weather poke )

I want to try the motion detect for lightning when we get our next storm, being SA we have to always sit very patiently. Be interesting to see how well it works against a lightning trigger, mine is a Patchmaster one and can often trigger false images, I found video recording is more efficient for the trigger.

But a very broad piece of software.

#1390763 - 19/10/2016 20:43 Re: Magic Lantern (Canon DSLR Extension Software) [Re: Scottie A]
StormCapture Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Anyone had much luck with the Bolt Trigger module they have added?

Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Forum Stats
29346 Members
32 Forums
23663 Topics
1458957 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image