As promised to RoadkillNZ I have started up a thread devoted to Magic Lantern the FREE Extension Software packed full of features for a range of Canon DSLR including 550D, 60D, 600D, 50D, 500D and 5D MkII.
Here is a link to the software's websitehttp://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki
Here is a link to Unified the branch for all Camera Models mentioned except for the 5D markII which has its own branch. There is a table with the various features that different model cameras support amongst alot of other information about features. http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified
Basically this software is very simple to install, I had a little trouble for a start but Ill explain that later.
Ill run through the process below as best as I can with a few tips that I learnt after installing on my 550d.
To install ML all you need to do is Download the latest release and extract the files/folders into the root directory of your SD/SDHC/SDXC card.
For first time use you have to run the firmware file included in the files you just extracted to your SD by going into your Cameras Menu and select upgrade firmware version 1.0.9. Now this is where I had some small troubles. Here are a few tips if you are planing on installing.
1. Make sure you have the latest (supported) firmware version for your camera model.
Note: I have a 550D but it should be the same for all models the only difference will be the firmware version MAKE SURE you INSTALL the CORRECT FIRMWARE UPDATE VERSION for your camera model.
2. Make your SD/SDHC/SDXC Card bootable by using the following windows utilityhttp://pel.hu/down/EOScard.exe
3. Turn your Mode dial to M (Manual)
4. Use just a plain 4gb SDHC for installation of the firmware file, this is where I messed up and tried to use my 64gb SDHC. Long story short DOES NOT WORK just use a plain 4gb. Basically all the installer firmware does is set the bootflag option to true so that your camera can boot ML from any SDHC/SDXC you place ML files on. Once you have run the installer you may use any card including 64gb SDHC/SDXC.
5. If the installer still will not run and all you get is a flashing light when using just a 4gb SDHC navigate to the link below and install the latest firmware again from here even if you already have the latest versionhttp://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/Install
Now you should have got the green screen with a confirmation that ML installer has completed, simply switch your camera off once you see this message.
Your camera will now look for the autoexec.bin file on your SD card which will in turn boot the ML files on any card you have placed the files on.
Now you should have ML working!!
to bring up the ML menu press the trash can (Delete) button on your camera.
So in reality ML does not interfere in using your Camera with Stock menu's and Settings just place in an SD card with no ML files on it THAT YOU HAVE NOT MADE BOOTABLE.IMPORTANT: Do not just format your SD card on your computer or delete ML files when clearing the card etc, do it in camera and select the appropriate option depending on if you are planning on keeping ML or Cleaning the card for normal use without ML.
If you format the card from your computer it will leave your SD card in a bootable state which will cause your camera to freeze on startup and you will have to take the battery out and use the EOScard utility to make your card not bootable.
Im very happy with the install process, had to do a bit of searching around the net to put all the pieces of the puzzle together thats why I have gone through the process above. The main thing there was no damage done to my 550d and now I have a whole bunch of new free professional features to use!!
I Hope I did not ramble on to much
and there are some nice tips in there that help you with your install. Now continued below with my thoughts and experience in using these fantastic free features we have just unlocked. Should be posted in about an hour or so got pets to feed etc.