Page 363 of 1727 < 1 2 ... 361 362 363 364 365 ... 1726 1727 >
Topic Options
#1071794 - 05/02/2012 15:46 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Tom1234]
GrizzlyBear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Yetholme [1180m] Central Table...
It can often be warmer at Ant's place especially from morning right up to lunch and in winter in can even be warmer all day when Canberra gets stronger inversions. I have been surprised myself how long it can take for Bathurst to catch up to my temp up here when there is an inversion in the Bathurst valley, even in summer this can take until noon. My situation is similar in distance and even more extreme I am some 25km east and 500m higher. So a difference of only 250m or so can keep the temps in the hills higher for just a little longer I guess when warmer airmass's are moving in or inversions are about.

A check of the reading could be made against any known well calibrated thermometer or one checked in ice. I would love to see a pic of the set up to try to understand why the temps would be what they are. However from what I understand the set up seems to be ok which I why I want to rule out any small calibration error.

Somehow I am not getting as warm as I thought I would today with some patchy cloud have only maxed at 23.9 so far.

#1071809 - 05/02/2012 16:21 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: GrizzlyBear]
Homer Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Dural
Originally Posted By: PeterDuke
It can often be warmer at Ant's place especially from morning right up to lunch and in winter in can even be warmer all day when Canberra gets stronger inversions. I have been surprised myself how long it can take for Bathurst to catch up to my temp up here when there is an inversion in the Bathurst valley, even in summer this can take until noon. My situation is similar in distance and even more extreme I am some 25km east and 500m higher. So a difference of only 250m or so can keep the temps in the hills higher for just a little longer I guess when warmer airmass's are moving in or inversions are about.

A check of the reading could be made against any known well calibrated thermometer or one checked in ice. I would love to see a pic of the set up to try to understand why the temps would be what they are. However from what I understand the set up seems to be ok which I why I want to rule out any small calibration error.

Somehow I am not getting as warm as I thought I would today with some patchy cloud have only maxed at 23.9 so far.

Peter, I'm fully aware of those small differences and certainly the inversions that can take place. They are clear to see in many places across NSW. The two stations at Coonabarabran are a perfect example of this. I was just sayin' mate.

Homer

#1071813 - 05/02/2012 16:24 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Tom1234]
Homer Offline

Originally Posted By: Richard Rahl
Originally Posted By: Homer

If I posted this, ant would accuse me of saying that she is lying.

Homer

HAHA, so true dude. Im guessing Ants station over reads by a fair margin. I cant see why gaining 200m altitude would gain you 2-3c over the city.

Mate, 2-3 degrees is possible over a 200 metre altitude difference. I've got no problem with that. I'm almost 200 amsl here and it is often the case. I was just making a point.
Even though ant has since posted, I see she failed to reply to Peter's question. Mmmm.

Homer

Edited by Homer (05/02/2012 16:25)

#1071814 - 05/02/2012 16:36 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: mkeene(pingtang)]
kizz Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Beacon Hill, Sydney 152m asl
Originally Posted By: mkeene(pingtang)
26c is still depressing though and to make matters worse the sky had an Autumn look to it for the first time this year( atleast in my eyes)

I was seriously thinking the same thing yesterday - feels like autumn. Today is different as I have been busting my gut out in the yard and sweating an ocean. Much better.
BUT
The Sydney forecast for the next 7 days has cloudy/partly cloudy, showers, SE winds & below average temperatures EVERY DAY. Early April weather coming up.

#1071815 - 05/02/2012 16:37 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Homer]
GrizzlyBear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Yetholme [1180m] Central Table...
I know you understand Homer, that is all good. I mainly wanted Richard to understand that it can be tricky. Thanks for mentioning Coonabarbran I will keep an eye on that one, about 140m difference, too bad one is not an AWS though.
Last thing I want is to accuse someone of lying, am sure Ant is genuinely reading what she thinks is correct, I just want to confirm for my own knowledge that it is the right reading.

#1071826 - 05/02/2012 16:53 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: GrizzlyBear]
Homer Offline

I know you understand Homer, that is all good. I mainly wanted Richard to understand that it can be tricky. Thanks for mentioning Coonabarbran I will keep an eye on that one, about 140m difference, too bad one is not an AWS though.
Last thing I want is to accuse someone of lying, am sure Ant is genuinely reading what she thinks is correct, I just want to confirm for my own knowledge that it is the right reading.

No worries Pete.
I just wanted her to confirm her recollection of regular summer snowfalls in the Snowies, but never had it substantiated either.

Homer

#1071864 - 05/02/2012 18:12 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Homer]
Quagmelson Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Glenorie NSW
Haha Homer and Ant, you two need a spa 2 martinis and some barry white music, its entertaining reading youre posts, i hope you both dont take it too serious and just enjoy the weather. Communication is the key!, pm each other and sort that [censored] out lol

#1071868 - 05/02/2012 18:28 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Quagmelson]
IkeTheSpike Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Brisbane
What a ripping good day it was today. I guess after all the cloud and rain lately, we had a great weekend and my good weather batteries are charged up again. One thing I have noticed this summer is the distinct lack of fully clear days and today had very little cloud about.

Edited by IkeTheSpike (05/02/2012 18:28)

#1071873 - 05/02/2012 18:36 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Quagmelson]
Homer Offline

Originally Posted By: Quagmelson
pm each other and sort that [censored] out lol

Tried that. Doesn't work.

Homer

#1071875 - 05/02/2012 18:42 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: GrizzlyBear]
Tom1234 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Port Stephens
am sure Ant is genuinely reading what she thinks is correct, I just want to confirm for my own knowledge that it is the right reading.

Come on PD and Homer, i have been around here for 8 years so im not that amateur.

im still doubtfull its calibrated correctly. Constant over reading day after day kind of rules out inversions IMO. I have no Idea where Ant lives so i cant comment on the aspect of her property, perhaps its an unfavourable aspect.

There is a howling NWr today, so it would be interesting to see todays difference.

#1071892 - 05/02/2012 19:09 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: IkeTheSpike]
gleno71 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: IkeTheSpike
What a ripping good day it was today. I guess after all the cloud and rain lately, we had a great weekend and my good weather batteries are charged up again. One thing I have noticed this summer is the distinct lack of fully clear days and today had very little cloud about.

Was a fantastic day today but looks like were in for depressing weather once again this week,why sydney cant get a run of fine days is beyond me. Looking forward to the winter sun

Edited by gleno71 (05/02/2012 19:09)
Edit Reason: spelling

#1071896 - 05/02/2012 19:18 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: gleno71]
Homer Offline

Originally Posted By: gleno71
why sydney cant get a run of fine days is beyond me. Looking forward to the winter sun

Go back about 4 months. Swings and roundabouts.

Homer

#1071903 - 05/02/2012 19:46 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Homer]
Steve777 Online   content
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Artarmon (Sydney North Shore)
The models look a bit like they did in early December, with Southerlies and Easterlies as far as the eye can see. They seem to show a possible break mid month - brief, like this weekend. The oceans have since warmed up so it will be 23/24 most days instead of 21/22, not only this week as forecast but I think next week as well (my amateur opinion).

Don't want any more of this summer, roll on Autumn.

#1071905 - 05/02/2012 20:03 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Steve777]
gleno71 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Steve777
The models look a bit like they did in early December, with Southerlies and Easterlies as far as the eye can see. They seem to show a possible break mid month - brief, like this weekend. The oceans have since warmed up so it will be 23/24 most days instead of 21/22, not only this week as forecast but I think next week as well (my amateur opinion).

Don't want any more of this summer, roll on Autumn.

Your pretty much right on the money what your saying,i would like to know why were getting the easterlies all the time?? I know its because of the position of the high,but whats causing the high to be in that particular postiion to cause the easterlies??
In other words,whats stopping the high from being dead smack right over sydney??

#1071909 - 05/02/2012 20:15 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Steve777]
mkeene(pingtang) Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Nowra,NSW
I more looking forward to May,as all the people tend to dissapear around then,and I have the beaches all to myself again.

I really cannot stand April,as its usually a month where you can get into big ruts of either sunny weather or showery low 20's weather,and its likely there will be more showery weather than sunny weather. Easter is probrably my most hated time of year,as theres still heaps of people flocking around,and the days start to get depressingly short again.

What I do like about Autumn is the increased prospects of an ECL,and also those offshore lightshows where if theres cold air aloft it will often be enough to make offshore storms as the sea surface temps are still warm. Some Autumns you will you get great lightshows,and then others the best you'll get is a faint flicker on the horizon. The last good Autumn for lightning was 2008,though that followed a pretty handy storm season.

#1071921 - 05/02/2012 20:53 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: gleno71]
Weatherzone Addict

Gleno - in the warmer months the land is usually much warmer than the oceans, so it's unusual for high pressure areas to form over land or to persist there for any length of time. We'll have high pressure on top of us in late Autumn and early Spring and further North in winter. That being said, in a normal summer we get longer periods of high pressure in the Tasman, often ridging to the North, blocking out Tasman Sea air and bringing warmer N/NW winds. This summer, the high pressure has tended to stay way South, with low pressure over the Northern Tasman and Coral seas, giving rise to persistent Easterlies and leaving room for coastal troughs and lows to form. I think it's a La Nina thing. I believe three La Ninas in a row is very unusual, so next summer should be better.

Edited by Steve777 (05/02/2012 20:54)

#1071928 - 05/02/2012 21:27 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: mkeene(pingtang)]
Weatherzone Addict

yes Mkeene, I grew up in Sydney and my memories of Easter is that April's a pretty wet time of year, but sometimes you get long sunny spells. Same goes for May. I often though it strange that people went swimming in October when the water was cold but not in May and June when the water was often warmer than in November / December and the weather often better.

I think the track record is for Autumn after a cool wet summer is a bit mixed. I had a look at the stats for Sydney. 1987/88, 88/89 and 89/90 each had wet summers and each had a massively wet April. There must have been some ECL's in that lot. 1988/89 was very wet from November through to June, with the tap being turned off in July. 1991/92 had a wet December and very wet February followed by a dry Autumn and Winter. I'd be happy with sunny or wet, but not the constant drip of coastal showers.

#1071941 - 05/02/2012 22:07 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Steve777]
ant Offline

Loc: Overlooking ACT at 848m
Now I have two nasty little fans! How nice. What on earth drives people to write what you do on a weather forum, Homer and "Richard Rahl"? Are you trying to "win" something? Prove something?

And to descend to your levels for a minute, my weatherstation is over-reading yet again. yep. It's officially 23.5c in Canberra, and my weatherstation says it's 21.7 up here. Oh hang on, now it's under reading. How can this be? Oh yes, that's right, I'm LYING again.

In fact, I'm an idiot for buying a weather station because, since my weather should be identical with Canberra's, I only need to look at their obs.

You two really need to get a grip. I have no idea why the nasty, bitchy posts, but as I've said before, having your nasty little sniping voices calling me a liar on a regular basis is uncalled-for, offensive and really says more about you than I think you realise it does.

Bottom line. Please stop. Please stop posting these nasty comments. I have a weatherstation. It measures the weather I have up here. I'm sorry you are upset that it often differs from the official weather obs in Canberra.

Deal with it. I guess your object is that I leave this forum. Bad luck, I've been here way longer than you, and I'm staying. So snipe away, little boys. The rest of us will continue to talk about the weather, I hope, without resorting to imputations that other posters are liars, or stupid.

#1071947 - 05/02/2012 22:28 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: ant]
ant Offline

Loc: Overlooking ACT at 848m
I can't believe I'm doing this, but here's the weather station. No doubt it's wrong, or I just can't read the console correctly.

The mountains in the background are Black Mountain and Mt Ainslie in Canberra. They appear to be receiving rain but that can't be right, because I should be getting rain too, as my weather must be identical to Canberra's.

#1071948 - 05/02/2012 22:29 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: ant]
Homer Offline

Originally Posted By: ant
Now I have two nasty little fans! How nice. What on earth drives people to write what you do on a weather forum, Homer and "Richard Rahl"? Are you trying to "win" something? Prove something?

And to descend to your levels for a minute, my weatherstation is over-reading yet again. yep. It's officially 23.5c in Canberra, and my weatherstation says it's 21.7 up here. Oh hang on, now it's under reading. How can this be? Oh yes, that's right, I'm LYING again.

In fact, I'm an idiot for buying a weather station because, since my weather should be identical with Canberra's, I only need to look at their obs.

You two really need to get a grip. I have no idea why the nasty, bitchy posts, but as I've said before, having your nasty little sniping voices calling me a liar on a regular basis is uncalled-for, offensive and really says more about you than I think you realise it does.

Bottom line. Please stop. Please stop posting these nasty comments. I have a weatherstation. It measures the weather I have up here. I'm sorry you are upset that it often differs from the official weather obs in Canberra.

Deal with it. I guess your object is that I leave this forum. Bad luck, I've been here way longer than you, and I'm staying. So snipe away, little boys. The rest of us will continue to talk about the weather, I hope, without resorting to imputations that other posters are liars, or stupid.

wow ant.

I've only just asked you ever to elabotate on your claims, as has Peter.
No need to go troppo.

Homer.

Page 363 of 1727 < 1 2 ... 361 362 363 364 365 ... 1726 1727 >

Who's Online
10 registered (Stormy3, Ricky, Mad Elf #1.5, PeteM, rwj95, Steve777, betsuin, mysteriousbrad, Jimi, gleno01), 85 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Chris #3, Cloudwatcher, dave-tsv, GuyH, Joshg, Prettybub, s016230, Sprouts
Forum Stats
29700 Members
32 Forums
24005 Topics
1502905 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image