Another cool autumn morning on the NT.
Min at Armidale city was 4.4C,
Salisbury Plains near Uralla 2.2C,
Glen Innes airport 2C.

#1087273 - 09/03/2012 11:11 Re: Autumn has arrived in NSW [Re: HumphreyBear]
kizz Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Beacon Hill, Sydney 152m asl
Autumn starts for me when the first of the winter-type fronts push through Sydney. A dry SW change as opposed to the southerly change. Dew points drop to single digits and coastal sites get sub teen minima. This occurs in April.

March is still summer for mine. As it is for the equinox/solstice evangelists.

If those southerlies leave us alone for a while (which hasn't happened this Summer) the weather will still get warm and sticky in the next few weeks.

#1087278 - 09/03/2012 11:30 Re: Autumn has arrived in NSW [Re: kizz]
DaveM Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Bathurst NSW about 700 m asl
Semantics rule - MY definition of Autumn is when I know summer has basically left the scene - NOT in it's entirety but it's influence is definitely waning. I know it will get cooler still in April but it is NOT summer here.

EVERY season is either in a building up or slowing down phase at ANY point during that season. Autumn/Summer/Spring/Winter - noe of these are one set of temperatures only - all are movable feasts.

Here in Bathurst Autumn has BEGUN - that is all I've been trying to say!! I didn't say we had reached FULL autumn conditions. If you Coastal posters came out here and sat around at night you would be cold - and you would be colder (out here) now than 3 or 4 weeks ago - all I'm trying to say.

#1087282 - 09/03/2012 11:38 Re: Autumn has arrived in NSW [Re: kizz]
Steve777 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Artarmon (Sydney North Shore)
I think in a place like Sydney where average temeratures are fairly mild all year, seasons are largely a social construct. Of course, most (but not all) days in January are warmer than most days in July, but the change between those is slow and gradual with many reverses along the way. Rainfall doesn't give a cue - in Sydney it's essentially random, although stats show that the first half of the year is on average wetter than the second half - crossing traditional seasonal boundaries. Summer in Sydney is cloudier than winter, contrary to the belief and expectations even of people who have lived here all their life - again, cultural.

More definite cues come from the start and end of daylight saving, but this is man made (person made? anthropogenic?). Likewise our swimming season follows convention - only the keen surfers swim in May and June, even though the ocean (and often even the weather) is warmer than in November.

Possibly the best cues for seasons may be the occurrences of extreme temperatures (measured away from the coast). Summer would be the period when hot days (max 32+) are common - roughly mid November to mid March. Winter would be when 'cold' (by coastal standards) days are common (max below 15 and/or min below 5) - roughly mid May to Mid September. That would leave short two month seasons for Autumn and Spring. The boundaries would vary from year to year. In 2011/12, winter started in early May, Spring started in early August, Summer started around Nov 1, retreated on Dec 1 and made a shaky comeback in the New Year. It has probably finished now but we'll have to wait and see.

I'm sure lots of other schemes are possible, but I think the above fits Southern and Central coastal NSW quite well.

#1087285 - 09/03/2012 11:46 Re: Autumn has arrived in NSW [Re: DaveM]
Yowie Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Hastings, VIC (but from Dapto ...
Here in the 'Gong, there are trees turning orange and dropping their leaves. There was that noticable 'chill' in the breeze, and the sun is not quite as brutal on my (very fair) skin. I'm sure we've still got a quite a few days that still feel like summer ahead, but the days that feel more like winter have started.

And that makes it the start of Autumn to my mind. YMMV.

#1087328 - 09/03/2012 15:20 Re: Autumn has arrived in NSW [Re: Yowie]
CoastalStorm22 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Lindfield, Sydney, NSW
Well after all the excitement of yesterdays heavy rain, we have managed a beautiful sunny top of 28c here in Sydney today!!

#1087331 - 09/03/2012 15:26 Re: Autumn has arrived in NSW [Re: CoastalStorm22]
HumphreyBear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Southern Sydney
Originally Posted By: CoastalStorm22
Well after all the excitement of yesterdays heavy rain, we have managed a beautiful sunny top of 28c here in Sydney today!!

For once I'm with you CS22, we needed this to dry out after yesterday. Not surprising though given the low has spun off to the SE giving us the warm dry W'ly in its wake. This was predicted by GFS a while ago.

What is surprising is that you're crowing about a 28C day with low DP's, shows you how mild this summer has been wink.

#1087447 - 09/03/2012 22:57 Re: Autumn has arrived in NSW [Re: HumphreyBear]
davidg Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Glenbrook/Penrith
Just thought it might be worth noting that Thredbo top station has had its wettest March on record (36 years) after just the first 9days!. Prevous wettest was 217mm, they have already recorded 399mm! Not only is its its wettest March on record but both max and Min temps have been wellbelow average.

Anyway max temps have been well below average for literally the entire region bounde byt the S-SE States and then some. lets hope this trend continues through autumn and into winter. A few NW cloud bands coupled with strong fronts woud be a nice change from recent years. Couple of weeks of sun would be nice though before hand. I dont ask too much do i?

Edited by davidg (09/03/2012 22:59)

#1087484 - 10/03/2012 09:04 Re: Autumn has arrived in NSW [Re: davidg]
GrizzlyBear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Yetholme [1180m] Central Table...
Those are indeed quite incredible stats, only thing is that the rain for the 1st actually fell on the 29th, same thing happened to me 92.8mm fell on the 29th lowering my March total. Should be some better way to group the rain data to avoid this confusion when comparing monthly stats. However never the less even February has not had this much rain so that still means a record for this time of year.

Comparing to 1974 that year had a lot of rain in April, 305mm in Thredbo village and also a wet January so some similarity there anyway.

Nice cool morning here this morning at 6.2, nothing unusual but nicely on que for this time of year too. Lot more mornings like this over coming days.

Edited by PeterDuke (10/03/2012 09:06)

#1087488 - 10/03/2012 09:28 Re: Autumn has arrived in NSW [Re: GrizzlyBear]
DaveM Offline

Quite cool and foggy here this morning (7 or 8 degrees o/n) - I actually put jeans on to come to work (another sign of Autumn) left the shorts at home several days this week. Too cold on the tootsies although a nice warm day of about 25 to come once the fog gets out of the way.

Still only about 10 atm.

#1087576 - 10/03/2012 16:00 Re: Autumn has arrived in NSW [Re: DaveM]
HumphreyBear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Looks like our preview of autumn will come to a screeching halt next week, 850 temps increasing again across the continent, will definitely feel like summer at the end of the week even on the tablelands. Kalbarri got to 45C yesterday.

#1087925 - 11/03/2012 20:56 Re: Autumn has arrived in NSW [Re: HumphreyBear]
ant Offline

Loc: Overlooking ACT at 848m
Yep, even today didn't feel like autumn, although the sun had that deeper yellow cast. No nip in the air, hardly any wind, it was a classic. forecast has the temps going into the upper 20s and I wonder where all that heat from WA is going to end up?

#1087970 - 12/03/2012 00:15 Re: Autumn has arrived in NSW [Re: ant]
Homer Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Dural
Maybe all this Autumn talk is jumping the gun a bit.

I know what Dave Number 4 means by starting this thread, and I've actually found that he has a point with the cooler mornings etc....

But..... I mowed the back lawn today. It took 15 minutes and afterwards, I was sweating like a WWF wrestler that had stopped pretending for his wages and had started working for it.
DP's are still quite high at times at this time of the year, so although the temps may have dropped a degree or three, and the mornings are a little cooler, the fact is we are still a month away from the proper onslaught of a decent change of seasons.
I do know what Dave No. 4 means though. The trees are changing and there is certainly a feel in the air.

Homer

#1087993 - 12/03/2012 06:57 Re: Autumn has arrived in NSW [Re: Homer]
HumphreyBear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Spot on Homer, love the wrestling analogy.

Obs Hill didn't fall below 19.9C last night. Canberra was warm too at 12.0, already up to 15 there. Hardly autumnal now!

#1088004 - 12/03/2012 08:59 Re: Autumn has arrived in NSW [Re: HumphreyBear]
GrizzlyBear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Another above 10deg night (12.2 in fact) which is more like summer than autumn now, certainly this week will be more summer like than any other week the summer gone. Mowed the lawn again 4.5 hours of slogging (not 15min like you Homer), grass and other growth has got a second burst of spring like growth which is not autumn like at all.

I have to agree with the notion that the first day of autumn is in fact about the 23/03 once we reach the equinox that is still not until the end of next week.

Anyway still nice to enjoy the last weeks of an "Indian summer" seeing we have not had any real summer anyway.

Over the years I have always noticed there comes a specific point when autumn finally starts proper when you notice that patches of grass suddenly stop growing. Usually the tips of the grass get dry or yellow ends despite the grass remaining green. This is not always necessarily due to frost or dry conditions just the grass going into hibernation. Usually this will happen in April, can be early April. This day cannot come soon enough now since that is when the grass truly stops growing and autumn is definitely here. Also cannot wait for daylight savings to end, just incredibly tiring at this time of year, feels like I am loosing an hour a day until it ends.

#1088076 - 12/03/2012 14:16 Re: Autumn has arrived in NSW [Re: GrizzlyBear]
Tom1234 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Port Stephens
4.5 hours to mow your lawn, hope you have a ride on for that.

#1088082 - 12/03/2012 14:35 Re: Autumn has arrived in NSW [Re: Tom1234]
GrizzlyBear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Nope, just pushing, too many trees/bushes/obstacles to weave around for a ride on, I could not imagine how I would do it other than by hand. Will not be long now before my lawn work gets replaced by cutting wood.

#1088085 - 12/03/2012 14:39 Re: Autumn has arrived in NSW [Re: GrizzlyBear]
Tom1234 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Port Stephens
Damn, get a zero turn mower. No way would spend 4.5 hours walk mowing, unless im getting paid at work to walk mow greens.

#1088113 - 12/03/2012 16:24 Re: Autumn has arrived in NSW [Re: Tom1234]
DaveM Offline

PD - 9 here overnight, you must live in the "tropical" highlands smile

At least this time of year, the temp starts dropping reasonably quickly after sunset (at least in the Tablelands areas) We can have warm days but the house is not heating up too much at all now.

Daves - non conventional signs of Autumn coming on:

1) Sometimes wearing jeans and shoes to work instead of shorts/sandles
2) Considering sometimes leaving curtains open during day to actually allow heat into house
3) Start looking at wood pile
4) Look for sleeveless vest to take to tennis
5) Sometimes switching blanket on bed for thin quilt - then taking off again.
6) Will sometimes actually stand in the sun and not whinge too much
7) Notice wiper blades not so good when swiping heavy dew off screen

I'm sure others have some "interesting" non conventional signs/symptoms of Autumn other than traditional weather & tree monitoring. smile I thought of a few other good ones previously but they've left me now.

#1088132 - 12/03/2012 17:43 Re: Autumn has arrived in NSW [Re: DaveM]
Blizzard Offline

Loc: Blue Mountains
Colours starting to look nice here but its still a way off for autumn to really kick in. It varies every year but some time in April shows signs of cooler/crisper days. Autumn, from about early April to early June is my favourite time of year, as winter doesn't usually kick in here until mid June, although each year varies.

I like winter gutsy cold fronts by far as the best weather event but cool mornings under 6C and mild, sunny/cloudy days under 15C is my favourite outdoor weather, closely followed by 8C and sunny in winter. Great for gardening and anything outdoors. Lower risk of skin cancer too.

I've ditched a lot of the lawn here, made the front lawn a cottage garden with picket fence and path and half of the back lawn a chook yard, which is fenced off and includes a pond. They mow the grassy part and fertilize the native garden part for me. Mowing takes me half an hour, for the bit of grass I have left, including the verge.

Found a largish one of these crawling over me in the shower this morning, thought it was water dripping down my neck so brushed it onto the ground, and was a bit shocked. Everything is breeding up like mad this year, this fella was in my towel!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centipede

Edited by Blizzard (12/03/2012 17:50)

Page 3 of 30 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 29 30 >

Who's Online
1 registered (Cheers), 245 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Kellly, Melanian, Peter.G, Turnip
Forum Stats
29277 Members
32 Forums
23614 Topics
1451928 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image