Topic Options
#1096157 - 27/03/2012 20:21 Cyclones SSTs and effect on fishing
devocean Offline
Cloud Gazer

Just looking over a number of SST anonomoly pics from past cyclones and it seems that after major cyclones the SST anonomolies in the area where the cyclones passes seems to be quite obvious. Where I live (commercial fishing port) we seem to experience rather poor fishing results after cyclones on the reef for months and I was wondering if these anomoloies would have anything to do with it? Not sure how long they hag around for but if someone with some more knowledge on SST anamolies and cyclones could help that would be great

#1096193 - 27/03/2012 22:41 Re: Cyclones SSTs and effect on fishing [Re: devocean]
nitso Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Kirwan
Hi devocean,

I got your PM and have replied with some maps for your perusal. Of particular interest to your question will be the tropical cyclone heat potential map. You will see that this map shows that even if conditions were otherwise perfect out there in the SE Indian Ocean right now, there is a distinct lack of available energy available to a TC due to the shalow favourable SST's. Normally those anomalies last up to a month with larger systems and at least 2-3 weeks with smaller ones. Midgets tend to have a minimal negative impact on future potential. Case in point just last year we had Anthony who was pretty close to a midget Cat 2 and then Yasi a giant C4/5. Take a look at SST's after Anthony and then after Yasi to see the huge difference the size of a system makes to the future energy potential. Yasi destroyed energy potential in the Coral Sea for over a month and by the time it returned, other conditions became unfavourable. Can send you those maps as well if you PM me.

#1096287 - 28/03/2012 11:10 Re: Cyclones SSTs and effect on fishing [Re: nitso]
SBT Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
Devocean, I saw a Landline program a couple of years ago that sort of addressed this issue. Research done by AIMS and JCU showed that top tier predators such as mature/breeding age Coral Trout, Mangrove Jack Fingermark, Nannagyi Groupers etc tend to move out to deeper/calmer reef areas after a cyclone has passed and SST's have dropped. This leaves huge populations of immature juveniles of the same species which are likely to be undersized and that results in the poor catches.

This however, allows a mass of pelagics to move in to predate on the smaller fish that still congregate around the near surface reef structures. So what they are saying is that mackeral/trevally/wahoo/cobia spieces increase but demersal spieces reduce. Depending on what is the target fish then operators need to change tactics or target speices.

The flip side is that the resulting flooding of creeks and rivers opens up vast areas for repopulation as well as flushing dead animals, vegetation debris, silt and nutrients on to the reef. But within 12 months the reef populations have increased dramatically and the larger fish then return some time after 12 months.

Other speices that boom after a cyclone are prawns and crabs. Been a fisherman for over 40 years and fished on the GBR for around 20+ years not as a pro but as a hobby.

Nature is all swings and roundabouts, what you lose in one area is compensated for in another.
The up shot of teh article was that for pros to make money they have to travel further and fish deeper and that will reduce profits or at least increase costs to bring it home and that means high prcies at the point of sale.
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#1096390 - 28/03/2012 19:51 Re: Cyclones SSTs and effect on fishing [Re: SBT]
devocean Offline
Cloud Gazer

Thanks SBT for the info. I was just checking out anomolies and I thought I may have been reaching so am glad you were able to clarify. It is hard to get any official info on how cyclones affect fishing because the GOVT refuses to compensate fishermen (unlike farmers) after a cyclone goes through even though it basically stops the live trout industry dead in its tracks. I went to a BRUV presentation in Airlie Beach and the AIMS guys were pretty clear that there was no correlation.....

#1096411 - 28/03/2012 20:42 Re: Cyclones SSTs and effect on fishing [Re: devocean]
tornado girl Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: mackay qld
I remember cyclone hamish done alot of damage to the reefs around the mackay area my brother is a pro fisherman and the could not fish around this area they had to go towards gladstone area for months. he took photos of what use to reefs and all there was broken coral and and big rocks amongst the sand. it had alot of effect on the fishing industry some of the fisherman sold there boats around our area. They have pulled there boat out of the water because of this low that is developing in the coral sea.

#1096622 - 29/03/2012 19:17 Re: Cyclones SSTs and effect on fishing [Re: tornado girl]
SBT Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
General Iformation for overseas vistors/lurkers/media/non north queensland members and those who don't know: The Great Barrier Reef is the world's largest coral reef system composed of over 2,900 individual reefs and 900 islands stretching for over 2,600 kilometres (1,600 mi) over an area of approximately 344,400 square kilometres. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Barrier_Reef

That leaves plenty of room for stocks to repopulate decimated populations. For some reason the entire world thinks the reef is 100 metres off shore is 10 metres wide and 5 kilometrs long made out of tissue paper and grew overnight sometime last tuesday 3 weeks ago, when you read some of the rubbish put out by PEW and Greenpeace.

Cyclones smash reef formations, destroying habitat and evicting some species from areas that may take 50 to 100 years to recover, but it is a purely natural occurance, the same with floods and silt deposits etc. It has been in existance for around 500,000 years and has been subjected to cyclones, floods, earthquakes and has somehow managed to survive without any help from man kind.
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#1260135 - 16/04/2014 13:52 Re: Cyclones SSTs and effect on fishing [Re: devocean]
breezy04 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: whitsundays
just reading through some of this thread and would like to offer a big thanks to sbt for the great info, heading out this evening for a few hours and will be changing my approach, found out yesterday exactly what you have said previously to be the case, millions of juvenile fish about and nothing really decent caught , thanks again sbt for the enlightening information.

Who's Online
9 registered (Trumper, EddyG, Steve777, Mathew, Ollieo, Hagrid, Kino, 2 invisible), 280 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
batty
Forum Stats
29370 Members
32 Forums
23686 Topics
1462556 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image