Page 19 of 20 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 >
Topic Options
#1099093 - 12/04/2012 09:53 Re: earthquakes are increasing what is the cause? [Re: chapo]
petethemoskeet Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: toowoomba
5.9 in Oregon USA

#1099176 - 12/04/2012 18:53 Re: earthquakes are increasing what is the cause? [Re: petethemoskeet]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Oxley Brisbane Qld
Oh boy... a 6.2M and a 6.9M in the gulf of California moments apart!

Incredible movement in the Pacific Rim. I don't think it is the last of it either unfortunately their is a very large equatorial coronal hole on the Sun and earlier today solar instruments looked a little haywire. Earth is in a solar wind stream expected to highten a little further in the coming 48 hours.

I am however so glad the big earthquakes in Indonesia did not produce a Tsunami. I stayed up last night as long as I could just watching all the news filtering in on various websites and different forums. A very unnerving time for those experiencing no doubt first hand.

Solarwatcher made this video on the 7th April for his members who follow him - you may find it interesting. He has published it now on his site for the public to view - read the comments below on Youtube. Click here to go to Solarwatcher.net

#1099186 - 12/04/2012 20:27 Re: earthquakes are increasing what is the cause? [Re: SunnyDays]
bruski Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Helensvale, Gold Coast

#1099187 - 12/04/2012 20:31 Re: earthquakes are increasing what is the cause? [Re: SunnyDays]
GringosRain Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Quorrobolong NSW
Im not sure where the debate is at regarding earthquakes increasing. I believe they are and I have a fair idea why, but that isnt for this forum.

Im wondering if anyone has done any analysis of global quakes, ie, quakes that register every seismograph on the globe.
It seems this happened again yesterday.

Perhaps a good way to determine whether what we are seeing (seismic events) is inside or outside of the norm is to compare global quakes since records have been kept.

I havent spent much time on this particular area, but I would be keen to know if someone has any feedback on that.

#1099188 - 12/04/2012 20:41 Re: earthquakes are increasing what is the cause? [Re: GringosRain]
NCSC - Antonio Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Goonellabah NSW
The earth has something very very wrong with it at the moment earthquakes everyware! 2 more strong earhquakes have hit the coast of california and more aftershocks, look how many near sumatra!!! whats going on ?

North Coast Storm Chasers Page: www.facebook.com/ncstormchasers
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/AntonioParancin/videos
NCSC Website : http://www.ncstormchasers.com/

#1099198 - 12/04/2012 21:53 Re: earthquakes are increasing what is the cause? [Re: NCSC - Antonio]
Raindammit Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Townsville & Bilyana NQ
Just another day on planet Earth. Nothing unusual there.

#1099227 - 13/04/2012 09:21 Re: earthquakes are increasing what is the cause? [Re: Raindammit]
SBT Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
Agreed RD. Nothing out of the ordinary people.

So we have a series of earthquakes, meh so what? We have thousands of earth tremors every week and have had since the planet was formed and they will continue until the planet is destroyed sometime in the next 10 billion years or so when the sun dies.

http://www.etsu.edu/physics/etsuobs/starprty/22099dgl/planalign.htm
2017 Total 836mm
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#1099230 - 13/04/2012 09:36 Re: earthquakes are increasing what is the cause? [Re: SBT]
ROM Offline

+ one

#1099232 - 13/04/2012 09:46 Re: earthquakes are increasing what is the cause? [Re: SBT]
SBT Offline

There are ways and means of obtaining credible information that you should rely on and religous nut job survivalists from the USA isn't one of them brunksi. An ability to obtain a Youtube account and play with graphics doesn't make it true.

Any theory that has a component of faith as a core element (as in believe me this works or trust me I have done the maths, it feels good to my soul etc) isn't anything but psuedoscience. In fact what the person proposing the theory is actually saying is "I have deluded myself into believing this, so you need to believe it too so I can feel secure". If you then attempt to derive a profit by these theories then you are commiting a criminal offence called fraud.

If you can't prove it scientifically, haven't submitted it for investigation, had your theory peer reviewed in a credible scientific journal or it fails outside of what is credible within a series of scientific princliples that govern sciences such as geology and physics then your hypothesis is wrong.

So here is a challenge to all you fringe dwellers out there. Put up your theories and lets see if they hold any water.

I'm no scientists but I can spot bullshit from 1000 metres. If your not prepared to discuss it don't post unfounded piffle as facts. You are only frightening the gullible.
2017 Total 836mm
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#1099237 - 13/04/2012 10:20 Re: earthquakes are increasing what is the cause? [Re: SBT]
vpprt Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Australia
Sanity prevails.

#1099240 - 13/04/2012 11:04 Re: earthquakes are increasing what is the cause? [Re: vpprt]
Storm Hunter Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Ellalong.10kms SW of Cessnock ...
I am far from a religous person but my wife studied the bible a while ago and she showed me in the last capture in revelations where it says earthquakes are going to increase,it looks like it is starting to happen.it has been happening for a while,it also says more droughts and severe storms disasters etc.That is if you believe in the bible.a lot do a lot dont.

Edited by Storm Hunter (13/04/2012 11:10)

#1099272 - 13/04/2012 14:23 Re: earthquakes are increasing what is the cause? [Re: Storm Hunter]
vpprt Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Australia
A more plausible connection between solar activity and the Earth's tectonic movement won't happen for another billion years(1,000 million).

As the sun is a G-type star roughly mid way through its life it will slowly transition to a red giant. As a result, insolation on the Earth's surface will increase by about 10% in a billion years. This is expected to raise the global temperatures to 47C.
As there will be so much water vapour in the atmosphere, the loss of water to space will be accelerated by the disassociation of water by UV light into H2 and O. The Hydrogen molecules have low mass, high velocities and are subsequently lost to space.

Earth eventually loses all of its water.

The tectonic plates are no longer lubricated by water and tectonic activity 'grinds' to a halt smirk
Earth's tectonic activity will become like that of Venus which is close to nil. The crust will then be renewed periodically through complete resurfacing via heat conduction from the outer mantle, rather than by tectonic subduction.

#1099274 - 13/04/2012 14:30 Re: earthquakes are increasing what is the cause? [Re: Storm Hunter]
Popeye Offline

Loc: Cable Beach - Broome WA
Those last few big earthquakes occured just after the biggest tides of the year up in the indian ocean basin. I often wonder what 1000's of trillions of tonnes of water being displaced every 6 hours has on some of the tectonic plates under water. Not to mention the associated increase in gravitational pull in that period. When ever there has been a big earthquake of late it always seems to tie in well with big tides and the moon cycle. Makes sense really the earth groaning under the increase in pressures placed on her.

#1099283 - 13/04/2012 15:52 Re: earthquakes are increasing what is the cause? [Re: Popeye]
ROM Offline

Not quite Popeye but you are getting close.
The seismologists and geologists are discovering quite a number of new phenomena deep down in the Earth's crust and some of those new items do have a fair bit to do with water but not water as we know it.

I came across these items some time ago.

From Science Daily;
Quote:
Earthquakes: Water as a Lubricant
ScienceDaily (Nov. 30, 2011) — Geophysicists from Potsdam have established a mode of action that can explain the irregular distribution of strong earthquakes at the San Andreas Fault in California. Reporting in the latest issue of the journal Nature, the scientists examined the electrical conductivity of the rocks at great depths, which is closely related to the water content within the rocks. From the pattern of electrical conductivity and seismic activity they were able to deduce that rock water acts as a lubricant.

Huge 'Ocean' Discovered Inside Earth
Quote:
Scientists scanning the deep interior of Earth have found evidence of a vast water reservoir beneath eastern Asia that is at least the volume of the Arctic Ocean.

The discovery marks the first time such a large body of water has found in the planet's deep mantle. [The World's Biggest Oceans and Seas]

The finding, made by Michael Wysession, a seismologist at Washington University in St. Louis, and his former graduate student Jesse Lawrence, now at the University of California, San Diego, will be detailed in a forthcoming monograph to be published by the American Geophysical Union.

Looking down deep

The pair analyzed more than 600,000 seismograms — records of waves generated by earthquakes traveling through the Earth—collected from instruments scattered around the planet. [Image Gallery: This Millennium's Destructive Earthquakes]

They noticed a region beneath Asia where seismic waves appeared to dampen, or "attenuate," and also slow down slightly. "Water slows the speed of waves a little," Wysession explained. "Lots of damping and a little slowing match the predictions for water very well."

Previous predictions calculated that if a cold slab of the ocean floor were to sink thousands of miles into the Earth's mantle, the hot temperatures would cause water stored inside the rock to evaporate out.

"That is exactly what we show here," Wysession said. "Water inside the rock goes down with the sinking slab and it's quite cold, but it heats up the deeper it goes, and the rock eventually becomes unstable and loses its water."

The water then rises up into the overlying region, which becomes saturated with water [image]. "It would still look like solid rock to you,” Wysession told LiveScience. "You would have to put it in the lab to find the water in it."

Although they appear solid, the composition of some ocean floor rocks is up to 15 percent water. "The water molecules are actually stuck in the mineral structure of the rock," Wysession explained. "As you heat this up, it eventually dehydrates. It's like taking clay and firing it to get all the water out."

The researchers estimate that up to 0.1 percent of the rock sinking down into the Earth's mantle in that part of the world is water, which works out to about an Arctic Ocean's worth of water.

"That's a real back of the envelope type calculation," Wysession said. "That's the best that we can do at this point."

The Beijing anomaly

Wysession has dubbed the new underground feature the "Beijing anomaly," because seismic wave attenuation was found to be highest beneath the Chinese capital city. Wysession first used the moniker during a presentation of his work at the University of Beijing.

"They thought it was very, very interesting," Wysession said. "China is under greater seismic risk than just about any country in the world, so they are very interested in seismology." [Natural Disasters: Top 10 US Threats]

Water covers 70 percent of Earth's surface and one of its many functions is to act like a lubricant for the movement of continental plates.

"Look at our sister planet, Venus," Wysession said. "It is very hot and dry inside Venus, and Venus has no plate tectonics. All the water probably boiled off, and without water, there are no plates. The system is locked up, like a rusty Tin Man with no oil."

What's Down There [ etc ]

And from Wiki; Kola Superdeep Borehole[ 12,262 metres (40,230 ft) in 1989, ]
Quote:
Research

The Kola borehole penetrated about a third of the way through the Baltic continental crust, estimated to be around 35 kilometres (22 mi) deep, reaching rocks of Archaean age (greater than 2.5 billion years old) at the bottom.[7]
The project has been a site of extensive geophysical studies. The stated areas of study were the deep structure of the Baltic Shield; seismic discontinuities and the thermal regime in the Earth's crust; the physical and chemical composition of the deep crust and the transition from upper to lower crust; lithospheric geophysics; and to create and develop technologies for deep geophysical study.
To scientists, one of the more fascinating findings to emerge from this well is that the change in seismic velocities was not found at a boundary marking Harold Jeffreys's hypothetical transition from granite to basalt; it was at the bottom of a layer of metamorphic rock that extended from about 5 to 10 kilometers beneath the surface.
The rock there had been thoroughly fractured and was saturated with water, which was surprising. This water, unlike surface water, must have come from deep-crust minerals and had been unable to reach the surface because of a layer of impermeable rock.[8]
Another unexpected discovery was the large quantity of hydrogen gas, with the mud flowing out of the hole described as "boiling" with hydrogen.

#1100440 - 20/04/2012 16:46 Re: earthquakes are increasing what is the cause? [Re: ROM]
liberator Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Kyabram
So mini tornadoes are not enough nowdays - we now have mini earthquakes.

http://www.theage.com.au/act-news/mini-quake-shakes-act-20120420-1xaqf.html

Its an earthquake, of lower magnitude - why could they not say that, or as in the body of the article, earth tremor?

#1100447 - 20/04/2012 17:32 Re: earthquakes are increasing what is the cause? [Re: liberator]
SBT Offline

Yes the word mini in anything except skirts and cars holds no credence as far as I'm concerned. Any news organisation that uses it just exposes it lack of research to anyone who reads it. Just because your average reporter has an IQ less than any two shoes sizes added together shouldn't be an excuse for sloppy reporting. If the BoM don't have it in any offical terms then why the hell use it in a News story? It was a earth tremor.
2017 Total 836mm
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#1100564 - 21/04/2012 15:06 Re: earthquakes are increasing what is the cause? [Re: SBT]
SGB Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Canberra
An interesting article on earthquake prediction here:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/0...on/#more-107092

#1100570 - 21/04/2012 15:52 Re: earthquakes are increasing what is the cause? [Re: SGB]
SBT Offline

Nice find SGB and makes some very interesting points about shonky frauds selling rubbish to the gullible.

Meanwhile I have seen Internet Chat that the earth tremor near Canberra was a result of someone with red hair falling off a bed. I didn't know Ronald Mcdonald was visiting.
2017 Total 836mm
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#1102844 - 05/05/2012 19:02 Re: earthquakes are increasing what is the cause? [Re: SBT]
SGB Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Canberra
Here's another take on the Earthquake-Eruptions/Moon theory.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/0...ed/#more-109115

#1102883 - 06/05/2012 08:35 Re: earthquakes are increasing what is the cause? [Re: bd bucketingdown]
belairjo Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Newcastle NSW
From United States Geological Survey’s (USGS) Earthquake Hazards Program (to reduce earthquake hazard in the United States):

Q: Is the recent sequence of earthquakes near Youngstown, Ohio, related to the wastewater disposal activities there?

A:

There is a credible connection between the wastewater injection activities near Youngstown and the recent earthquakes, including the magnitude 4 earthquake that occurred on New Year’s Eve, 2011. This connection is based on the close proximity of the earthquakes to the injection well and depth of injection, and the observation that these events began soon after the start of the injection activities.

Q:

What work is the USGS doing to better understand the occurrence of injection- induced earthquakes?

A:

USGS supports both internal and external (university-based) research on the causes of induced earthquakes. This research has a focus on injection-induced earthquakes, both from wastewater disposal and from enhanced geothermal technologies. USGS and its university partners have also deployed seismometers at sites of known or possible injection-induced earthquakes in Arkansas, southern Colorado, Oklahoma and Ohio. The USGS is also providing advice to the Environmental Protection Agency about how to assess the earthquake hazard associated with wastewater injection activities at Class II disposal wells.
United States Geological Survey's

Page 19 of 20 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 >

Moderator:  Lindsay Knowles 
Who's Online
6 registered (Petros, Weather_Viewer, Cheers, RC, Steve777, Max744), 248 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
heathc, kgb007, Michael M
Forum Stats
29401 Members
32 Forums
23725 Topics
1468892 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image