Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#1297205 - 08/01/2015 09:30 Re: Volcanoes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi folks.

Have a look at the stunningly beautiful and eerie photos of a volcano in Russia, Kamchatka.

Link; here

Duck.

#1298338 - 10/01/2015 15:14 Re: Volcanoes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Some time ago I mentioned keeping an eye out for undersea volcanic activity which will present itself (in various places across the globe - but I may have mentioned the Pacific specifically).

See the below mentioned report regarding such a thing occurring in the pacific near Tonga.

Undersea eruption of Hunga Tonga-Hunga H...anuary 06, 2015

I have felt for a long time now that with all of the major activity in the plates around the Pacific, that along and near those edges there may be emergent or regenerated volcanic activity. The energy (including magma deep plumes) may also come to emerge in other regions of the Pacific, which have been silent or their position may not be currently on record as potential 'weak spot' for the potential of emergent activity.
I just feel that there is alot of stress being released in the Pacific (and some other spots- like the Atlantic etc.) over some time now, that I feel there just may be a possibility of these 'sneaky' undersea type of spots 'giving' a little or a lottle with the pressures.....

Here is a site which I must visit more, as I rarely do, to learn more about current volcano activity worldwide - Volcano Discovery

Volcano Live - with John Seach is another excellent site.

For now, Duck.

#1299386 - 14/01/2015 11:15 Re: Volcanoes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Chris #3 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Semaphore SA
Kate Humble Into The Volcano is worth watching if you can get your hands on it. Not going to be as technical as we like, but still interesting and some great shots done with drones which I haven't seen much of before.

#1314903 - 04/03/2015 01:37 Re: Volcanoes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Dawoodman Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Thoopara; Prossie/ Bayswater
Chile seems to have given us the latest, and rather spectacular eruption... 3000 people evacuated

#1326195 - 23/04/2015 13:04 Re: Volcanoes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Arnost Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Calbuco volcano has blown and the eruption column has blown through 40K feet. It is located in southern Chile, 11 km south of Lake Languished, and 30 km NE of Puerto Mont.

And this of course applies to scientific principles. Never compromise these. Never! [Follow the science and you will be shown correct in the end...]

#1326202 - 23/04/2015 15:18 Re: Volcanoes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yeah it's definitely a spectacular eruption, that's for sure! Haven't seen much night-time footage of volcanic lightning within the ash cloud yet but heard the tail end of some on the news being captured.

The 1st image below shows the latest ash concentrations as detected by multiple satellite sensors via the Support to Aviation Control Service at 12:34pm AEST.

The 2nd image below is the experimental version of the official ash advisory issued by the Buenos Aires Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre which goes out to 12:30pm Fri (the red outline indicates the potential outer edges of the volcanic ash).

The 3rd image is the result of a job I ran using the volcanic ash dispersion component of the HYSPLIT model. The higher ash concentrations are shown in purple. Probably too early to say with certainty how localised or widepsread any disruptions to aviation might be in the longer term though:

#1326210 - 23/04/2015 16:22 Re: Volcanoes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Amazing stuff...

#1326262 - 23/04/2015 22:55 Re: Volcanoes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
snowbaby Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Albany, W.A

Culbuco eruption is reported on ABC tonite,to have reached 20 Km(may need verification?) which puts the plume well into the stratosphere. The effect of volcanic eruptions on stratosphere and climate in general seems to involve the injection of sulphur compounds, dust particles and perhaps other gases.

A lot depends on the volume of material getting injected into the stratosphere and in the case of dust -particle size. Also the effects may lag for quite some months.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens in the next little while - if Calbuco keeps erupting to get a handle on the volume of material thats getting pumped at this level - it may not need to reach the proportions of Pinatubo to have an effect because it has clearly breached the tropopause from it’s position >40 south. Only a small proportion of eruptions manage to do this.

#1326283 - 24/04/2015 09:46 Re: Volcanoes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
It will be very interesting to see any future effects on the climate from this one. From the footage I have seen it appears as though it is pumping a LOT of particulate matter into the air so it should manage to cover a large area of the southern hemisphere.

#1326301 - 24/04/2015 14:03 Re: Volcanoes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Arnost Offline
Weatherzone Addict

One of the reasons why I followed volcanos so keenly was because of the correlation between volcanic events and El Nino.

So it will also be interesting to see what happens to the Pacific ENSO situation where we are hovering at the start of an El Nino. It may be that, unlike the two preceding La Nada years, this event will push the Pacific into a full blown Nino.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v426/n6964/full/nature02101.html

http://www.geography.hunter.cuny.edu/~hsalmun/pg130web/elnino.html

Here is the imaing of the SO2 plume starting to spread.

And this of course applies to scientific principles. Never compromise these. Never! [Follow the science and you will be shown correct in the end...]

#1326320 - 24/04/2015 17:15 Re: Volcanoes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
snowbaby Offline
Weather Freak

Not sure which point in the eruption this plume depicts

Timestamp: 2015-04-23 03:00
GOES-E Courtesy Eumetsat

Excellent source of sat pics. http://www.fvalk.com/day_image.htm.
Thanks to Ferdinand Valk.
Permission to use in posting required-details on website.

#1326332 - 24/04/2015 18:15 Re: Volcanoes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Below is yesterday's spectacular imagery from NASA's Terra and Aqua satellites clearly showing the ash plume.

Also for anyone who hasn't seen yet, some spectacular volcanic lightning (the 1st photo was taken by Francisco Negroni and the 2nd photo was taken by David Cortes):

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xf...379&oe=55E35989

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xp...54b&oe=55DBDB6E

#1326382 - 24/04/2015 22:01 Re: Volcanoes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
snowbaby Offline
Weather Freak

Spectacular Ken. Certainly gives a great perspective of extent.

Looks like a demarcation line separating the brown tint speckled cloud from the whiter. Artefact of imaging?

Edited by snowbaby (24/04/2015 22:06)

#1326574 - 26/04/2015 12:29 Re: Volcanoes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Sure does snowbaby. And the line is just the boundary of the composite images from the Terra and Aqua satellites being merged (but due to differences in orbital swaths, they often don't line up perfectly).

#1327260 - 01/05/2015 09:51 Re: Volcanoes [Re: Ken Kato]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Here are some interesting articles on some of the current volcanic activity in our world and, fascinatingly but not surprisingly in my 'books', an undersea volcano is activating off the west coast of America;

Did she blow? NW submarine volcano like...015 at 1:21 pm

Kilauea activity update: Lava flows on ... April 30, 2015

Another strong explosive eruption of Calbuco volcano, Chile Posted by Adonai on April 30

GNS warning: New Zealand’s Ruapehu Volca... April 30, 2015

For now, Duck.

#1330925 - 04/06/2015 16:53 Re: Volcanoes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW, Australia
Hi Duck Weather

What is your opinion on future (next few thousand years) of Australia ever seeing volcanic activity. Areas such as western Victoria as an example.

#1330930 - 04/06/2015 17:46 Re: Volcanoes [Re: ozthunder]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Michael (ozthunder).

That's a great question and if I was to give you my opinion, I'd say that there is a good chance of some activity occurring in the next 2000 years. But....we may see some very minor niggles sooner than that. With the incredible number of volcanoes going off around the world in the current time/s, the percentage chance of Australia, possibly in our volcanic regions, has risen by a small percentage. (Remember; this is just my amateur opinion).

In my 'books', no volcano is extinct. Every recognized volcanic mound, mountain on land or under the sea has had varying degrees of magmatic pressure in the past to have created these formations in the first place. It is a matter of time before some of (or many) these 'weak spots' could reactivate....or new presentations of weak spots in the earth's crust (or in plate edge regions) may occur. That's just going on the large number of volcanic activity on the planet atm., and what has occurred as volatile times in the past (even before 'modern' man kept records).

I feel that there are old worn 'tracks' (historical and possibly new ones being formed here and there) of where magma has come to the surface or run around under the crust, and the connections between them may become more apparent as science discovers their extent. I feel that man is yet to get a complete picture of the actual deposits and locations some of the 'tracks' and the linkage between many of them...remembering it is awfully difficult to 'see' some of this possibility and 'we' have to use the best technical instruments currently available to build the best picture
'we' (man and science) can.

I have put a couple of links below regarding past reports on our volcanoes and the thoughts of scientists;

"Volcanoes 'due to erupt' Date July 6, 2011 " - The Age - regarding Victoria's volcanoes

"Australia: The Land Where Time Began A biography of the Australian continent "

We may see what may be some harmonic tremors in the future (when I don't know)....some activity on the seimo's in the past in our (SA and VIC regions) have displayed what looked like a smidgen of harmonic tremors - BUT - my observation may have been very, very wrong folks.

I don't discount seeing some minor(?) activity in my lifetime...we will just have to wait and see....

Cheers, Duck wink

Edited by duckweather (04/06/2015 17:48)
Edit Reason: spelling again ;)

#1331357 - 10/06/2015 12:00 Re: Volcanoes [Re: duckweather]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW, Australia
Originally Posted By: duckweather
Hi Michael (ozthunder).

That's a great question and if I was to give you my opinion, I'd say that there is a good chance of some activity occurring in the next 2000 years. But....we may see some very minor niggles sooner than that.

The reason I ask is that 20 years ago I visited that western Vic area and was amazed at how recent some of the geology and landscape looked.

I suspect that the last eruptions 4-5k years ago were no random dates. That coincides too much with the flooding of Bass Strait after the last ice age.

#1331360 - 10/06/2015 12:52 Re: Volcanoes [Re: ozthunder]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi ozthunder.

I only have a basic knowledge of volcanoes in Victoria (or any where else for that matter), so I can only offer up some links which may describe 'current' knowledge of such activity wink

Note in the following link there is a mention of'
Quote:
Love et. al. (2004) have suggested that they may be generically related to the volcanoes in the area.
which refers to an image in this link which shows various earthquakes in the western side of Vic - in proximity to some known volcanic formations;

Volcanoes & Earthquakes in SE Australia - Uni of Western Aust. 2004

"Volcanic eruptions long overdue in SE A...lian Geographic

30 June, 2014 11:37AM AEST New volcanoes spotted in south west Victoria By Georgia Westgarth

Science in recent times is realizing/discovering more old volcanic formations, which if you travel the lands of Victoria, it is not hard to see some curious little volcanic sites poking at your eye - as you have mentioned regarding what you have observed ozthunder. I don't mean to be a 'smarty-pants' here, but some of the formations science is now recognizing as volcanic features - I saw as old volcanoes, as kid, many moons ago...

I can't help but think that volcanic activity, even very, very minor in size and type, has occurred later than the 5000 or so years currently thought to be the last notable volcano activity in Victoria/South Australia (and perhaps even elsewhere in Australia).

Regarding Bass Strait, we used to have a house on Philip Island and would travel all over the place, photographing scenery, and I always had a strong feeling about the volcanic connection with the Strait, the islands and the vast regions near San Remo and even further SE to towards Wilson's Prom. I am still drawn to these regions (particularly near San Remo) and may move back down that way - amongst the rolling mounds/hills down there. I was always fascinated with the land formations/geology down there.

Cheers, Duck.

#1331573 - 13/06/2015 07:27 Re: Volcanoes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
Wifey took me along to see san andreas movie last night. Realism was never going to be a strength but effects were. Two highlights , first was seeing s waves rolling through san fran flipping the entire bay area about 30 to 40ft up each wave ( outstanding that ) , the 2nd was the actress who plays the daughter , not sure who she is but oh boy , she gave me an M5.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Who's Online
5 registered (DerekHV, Lindsay Knowles, eauetsoleil, mitasol, 1 invisible), 299 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
CraigA74, Ken, Maarten Brandt, wing tip vortex
Forum Stats
29370 Members
32 Forums
23685 Topics
1462347 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image