Page 126 of 131 < 1 2 ... 124 125 126 127 128 130 131 >
Topic Options
#1423194 - 12/05/2017 22:47 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi again. Adding to my last post tonight. See previous page.

Here are a couple of videos describing a meteotsunami. Just for interest sake.

Cheers, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (12/05/2017 22:49)

#1423218 - 13/05/2017 12:49 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
All eyez on casscadia. Its being very quiet.
It could be now or not for another 100 years.
Lets hope for the latter as it will cause severe carnage

#1423305 - 14/05/2017 16:02 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Looks like hooperbeets has most of may as possible time for large 8+ quakes

#1423385 - 15/05/2017 22:48 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks and tsunami.

Yes tsunami, he seems quite focused on the Cascadia region and the chance of a large quake.
If you look at the tremor/quake action in the north of the Gulf of Alaska and the western side of the U.S., it is very active at the moment. The energy seems to be sharply ping-ponging around these regions, whilst the western shores of Canada is generally being circumvented by this activity, apart from a few smaller intermittent movements. Over the last 30 days, the lower Cascadia region has been niggling with tremors and the region inland which runs parallel to the coast. But the west coast of Canada has remained eerily quiet.

Is it a matter of time before the Cascadia succumbs to pressures [causing the Alaskan and west U.S. tremors/quakes] or is given the impetus enough to throw up an M5 or other? Who knows. Let's hope that pressures don't lock and load in the Cascadia region and 'give' in a concerted way. It may not happen. It may be that offshore of Eureka or Oregon or near Washington may be the region to show up with a good quake - or the Alaskan Gulf....
I don't think anyone can predict exactly where it could give, if this is going to happen in the short term.
But I must say that the tremor activity on the U.S. west and in the northern Gulf of Alaska [general regions] is interesting to observe at the moment.

Japan had a good moderate quake today. I still feel that the trench there and south of today's quake is in my mind's eye still.

The South Sandwich Islands and the SW of Liberia [Africa] also came up with moderate quakes today.

Considering the last paragraph, some of the major plate edges are unsettled at the moment.

Quite a while back, the centre of the Indian Ocean [in the complex plate regions] threw up many quakes in a short space of time. This concerned many and was quite the focus of attention on the net. Many thought it was a major disaster in the making. Thankfully this wasn't the case. But this is another region has been quietly in my mind's-eye also for some future movements again. Will see if my suspicions are correct in the near future.

Australia;

Vic came up with the tremor I suspected it would - Moe again. This one was recorded by Geoscience not long after the little door-rattler I mentioned in a previous post. There have been some more very small niggles on our local seismo's, which may be after-movements or pre-movements to another felt tremor for us.
In the last 7 days, the southern states, so far, of Oz have been the ones to feel tremors. Have a look at the recorded [by Geoscience] tremors for Oz -
here.....

General locations to observe in the near future may be Chile [or somewhere else on the coast of Sth. America], the Mediterranean, Indian Ocean, Alaska, U.S., The Izu Trench [south of Japan], Kamchatka, south of Pakistan [at sea in the Gulf?] amongst other regions. These are just loose thoughts and not predictions of locations for more that moderate quakes. My feelings may be way off. It could be other regions which may come up with some quakes.....

Hawaii may come up with an M4 some time...???

Pinch-of-salt with all I say folks.

For now, Duck.

#1423514 - 17/05/2017 12:45 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Thanks for the posts duck
So far so good

#1423567 - 17/05/2017 21:44 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Cheers tsunami.

So far the Cascadia region has been niggling here and there, as I mentioned it would till now, with a sneaky tremor. Another tremor came up in that region I also mentioned running parallel to the coast in the mountain regions. An M5 may eventually pop up in the Cascadia region [hopefully nothing bigger than that].

A small tremor came up off the U.S. coast, SW of Eureka. I said one may come up there. So far the tremor action there has been quite small. But this is a location which has thrown up an M5 before and may still.

I have been watching, as I get a chance, a seismograph in Nebraska in recent days. It has been showing some interesting irritations. But this is not the only seismo showing the effects of tremors across the U.S.. Some are movements local to their seismo's and others are referred energy showing up on the readings.
I am wondering if a region inland of the U.S. is going to come up with an M5 soon. There seems to be sporadic [short bursts of energy causing tremors] spotting across quite a few states of the U.S. at the moment - in the east - middle and west.

The west coast of Sth. America came up with the movements I anticipated. They may be one of those regions to show up with an M5+ in the near future.

I am still waiting for the Gulf of California to show up with a quake [M4+]. There may be some energy pushing up from central America [which may be running through to the northern reaches of Sth. America and the Caribbean. This could translate up and into the Gulf.

Other regions are coming up with tremors currently, e.g. Russia, Indonesia, The Izu Trench region [I have mentioned that one for movements], Hawaii etc.. Will chat more about other regions later.

Found this link re: Victorian [Australia] volcanoes. Probably should have chucked this in the Volcano thread, but I am being lazy for now and will put it here - Victoria's Volcanoes - Australian Geographic

For now, Duck.

#1423859 - 20/05/2017 21:00 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again folks.

So far the Cascadia region [off the Canada west coast] has been only niggling with the odd smaller tremor, as I felt it would for the time being. It may still yet come up with an M4+ if the quake activity continues consistently in Alaska and the western side of the U.S..

The Gulf of California snuck in a smaller quake, as I said it may in current times. A larger tremor came up off the mexico coast, just south of where La Paz sits on the Peninsula of the Americás which face the Pacific Ocean. It was SW of Manzanillo, a region which is not immune to some larger tremors.

Quite a few of the other regions I have prattled on about (pre-empting possible quakes and tremors for them) have come up with movements. Finally the region SE on the Saudi Arabian Peninsula came up with a quake. So far, south of Pakistan, at sea, hasn't moved yet [as far as I know].

A couple/few posts back, I mentioned a bit of a "watch" for the Himalayan Ranges [which involves northern India and nearby countries - including southern China] and these regions have come up with quakes. So far they haven't come up with a bigger quake, which is good.

The Mediterranean is coming into the 'picture' now. Cyprus came up with a tremor - not a very common region for a tremor for the Mediterranean. I get a gut feeling that a couple of M5's may come up soon in that vast region. Maybe even an M6. For some reason, Gibraltar is stuck on my 'radar' for an M3+. In my mind I 'see'a çircle'. What that means I dunno for the Mediterranean. It may be that tremors may come up in a circular plotting or over some weeks their tremors may eventually plot on a quake map as a circle [over time - weeks?].

Anyway, for the moment, Duck.

#1423958 - 22/05/2017 18:26 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

My ears have been ringing like church bells since yesterday. Whether that has anything to do with our current tremor activity...maybe - maybe not wink

I had a feeling Victoria was under some energy spurts at the moment. I mentioned a couple of posts ago that Vic may come into some activity in current times, and I wasn't wrong. We have also had some very small movements - apart from the ones formally recorded by Geoscience
It may not be beyond the realms of possibility that we may even feel another one soon. Will wait and see.

So far the Cascadia has not produced the large quake, which Frank [Ditrianum] suspected may happen - which is great. I had a gut feeling that this wasn't going to happen - but, of course, I had no guarantee [in my mind] that it would or wouldn't happen personally. I always just felt that the recent messy movements in Alaska and the west side of the U.S. were only going to send off some occasional niggles only into Cascadia zone. But that is not to say that it is not an impossibility that quakes could still come up in the future for Canada.

That location SW of Eureka came up as I said it would. But the energy also travelled or showed up further south down the coast near Ridgemark, California. It mat be that somewhere around L.A. that a tremor comes up - M4'ish?

Anyway, for now, Duck.

#1424152 - 24/05/2017 12:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hooperbeets has been talking about a strange spring..autumn for us
Normaly by this time of year earth has had 3 to 5 earthquakes of 7 or above. This year none. Which cannot be explained

#1424226 - 25/05/2017 11:45 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Still very quiet hopefully things just taking a rest

#1424324 - 25/05/2017 17:37 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi tsunami and all.

Re: Hooperbeets, the dynamics for EQ's can vary in any given year. The perceived cause of earthquakes also vary and if we are in a lull for M7's currently, Ditrianums observations of the current 'seasons' may be correct, but time will tell. Sometimes nature can be unpredictable. The EQ influences can be unpredictable and at the same time send suspicious signs of the potential for producing quakes and volcanic activity.

I tend not to follow other peoples predictions and estimations of potential EQ activity. This is because I try and stay 'true' to my own intuitive feelings about EQ possibilities and not be influenced by another's dedicated studies. Ditrianum's attention to details [he observes] is beyond me [my understanding], but I have full respect for folks like him who endeavour to predict quakes/activity via their realm of understandings. We all try our best to anticipate where EQ's may happen, mainly to add some sort of credence to the potential to being able to anticipate [I don't like the word predict] earthquakes. There are some realms of the science and non-scientific world which feel that such is not possible. Goodness knows, sometimes I am very wrong with my thoughts as to where quakes may pop up. and sometimes I am right.

Anyway, the Indian Ocean has been showing up with some M5's recently - one was just about under an hour ago below Western Australia. Another recently came up in the middle of the Indian Ocean [west of Western Australia]. I had a feeling that the Indian Ocean may show up with some quakes. There was also a good tremor west of Carnarvon [WA] at sea in the Indian Ocean.

The tremors on the lower east side of Australia have been travelling south to Victoria, then popping up in NSW - over the border near Canberra and the latest near Grenfell [actually 3 tremors in Grenfell in the last 7 days].
The Aussie states to miss out on a tremor in the last 7 days have been Tassie and Queensland. For the time being.

There is other EQ/tremor activity going on around the planet atm., but I'll natter on about that soon.

For now, Duck.

#1424348 - 25/05/2017 20:05 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Wow
Thanks duck
Very good info

#1424620 - 29/05/2017 20:58 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Cheers tsunami.

Did anyone feel a small tremor in Vic about 40 minutes ago. It looks like, according to some seismo readings, that it may have been somwehere NE, NNE, east or ? of Melbourne. I guess it may have been an M2+. Thought I may have felt something, but wasn't sure unti I saw the seismo's. here [updating seismo]

For the moment, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (29/05/2017 20:58)

#1424809 - 31/05/2017 10:02 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

So far, that 'tremor' movement I saw come up on some Vic seismo's, hasn't been registered on the Geoscience website. It registered on 3 seismo's, so I feel it wasn't a glitch on one. Anyway, will see if Geo comes up with a formal recording today or tomorrow.

At the moment, there is no one absolute location which is leading the tremor board at the moment. Meaning, no seriously concentrated tremor activity in a town or city point. The activity globally seems to be popping up sporadically, e.g. Yemen, South Sandwich island region, far eastern U.S./Canada border, Mexico, Greece, Chile. the Pacific islands and so on. So what I mean by this is that the energy causing some M5's at the time of me typing this, is popping up globally instead of heavily focused on one or several regions.

In my mind, the larger tremors that have focused on specific areas recently seem to have somewhat settled and that energy [may or may not have been caused by the larger or deeper quakes] may have filtered through the globe, possibly causing other locations, here and there, to come up with M5'ishes.

Australia;

In the last 30 days with the exception of Tasmania, every state and territory of our country has felt tremors/quakes. It seems that WA and the NT have been the ones to have recorded the largest tremors, so far, with tremors just under M4. One in WA was off the coast in the Indian Ocean, one was in Tennant Creek [NT], one was in the almost centre of WA [Lake Wells - M3,9].

All of Australia's tremors/quakes have been recorded as being 10 kms deep. This may sound like a strange analogy, but I have a [creative] vision in my mind of the continent of Australia being like the layers found in shale - with the top layer [of 10kms deep] being the level we all ride/live on and the quakes occurring [generally] in Australia, occur below that layer. On a fairly rare occasion, a shallower quake comes up to rattle the bones. Just a bit of my 'alternative' speculation there folks, without me knowing the real science smile

Canada [Cascadia] is coming up with small tremor niggles again, I feel, in response to all of the tremor/quake activity in Alaksa, inland Canada and western regions of the U.S..

Anyway, for now, Duck.

#1425226 - 05/06/2017 21:42 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Tremor felt in Gembrook [Victoria] some minutes ago - possibly and M2+. Didn't feel it here - not that far from Gembrook. There was another tremor off the SE coast of Victoria very early this morning.

Australia is still rocking along with tremors in the lower half of the continent. We may end up seeing an M4 at some point.

Hopefully back with some more EQ nattering in the next day or so.

For now, Duck.

#1425456 - 07/06/2017 15:52 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks. Focusing on Australia only for this post smile

That tremor near Gembrook was felt over quite a distance. Many reported it as a loud rumble, but I didn't see many reports of it rattling many houses. It seemed to be reported moreso a km from me, towards the Dandenong Ranges and over/including the ranges communities and beyond. It was curious that I didn't feel it here or hear it.

Tassie finally came up with a tremor. It was a matter of time before one of its faults gave a little way, with all of the activity happening south and SE of Australia and in Victoria, SA and NSW, Tassie finally came up with a tremor I was expecting.

SW of WA is having a bit of a cluster of tremors at the moment [and in the last 7 days]. I am wondering if a tremor may also come up off shore of this region. As an outside chance, the offshore location halfway between Albany and Esperance [WA], may come up with a tremor too....but will see if this happens.
Dunno why, but my mind's-eye is tracking also to Burnie - Davenport [TAS] or King Island. Maybe nothing will happen there for tremors...?

South Australia may come into another period of several tremors soon.

An unusual place for a tremor in Oz may come up soon too. Offshore Eden in NSW is another location which has popped up in my mind too.

I may be wrong with what I natter on about folks. So [broken record again] take all I say with a pinch of salt.

I don't think Vic has finished with movements at the moment...we'll see.

For now, Duck.

#1425538 - 08/06/2017 11:21 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

Tassie has come up again with a tremor, near the NW coastline this time. I knew [had a strong feeling] that there was more energy to 'give' around the Vic, Bass Strait and general regions - which, in my mind, connects possibly with the Tassie movements.

Funnily [not haha] enough, when I made the previous post, I was thinking that the centre of the NT would come up with a tremor, but didn't mention it. As has happened the NT centre has come up with an M3+ tremor. In future, I will mention these suspicions I have when I am typing - mainly to stop my own eye-rolling when they do come up and I haven't mentioned my suspicions wink

A strange quake has been pegged in the northern Pacific Ocean, way NE of Hawaii. There is a chance that this may be a glitch or a very unusual place for a quake [historically].

I may be wrong, but I feel that the Pacific may come into a time of several M5's popping up all over the place [usual spots] in a short space of time, maybe even within a 36-48 hour period...?

For the moment, Duck.

#1425698 - 10/06/2017 17:25 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

So far, I was right about the Pacific coming up with M5's in this time frame [as mentioned in my last post]. The energy seems to be kicking along around several 'parts' of the plate edges.

Hawaii has 'finally' come up with an M4+ I was anticipating a while back. And, that M5 pegged to the far NNE away from Hawaii was actually a quake and not a glitch - very interesting location.

The Atlantic Ridge has been coming up with sporadic M5's in the last week too. I am wondering if some more tremors may come up near Portugal, Britain, south of Ghana [at sea], Gibraltar and maybe Iceland again...??

I think there may have been a small tremor in Victoria yesterday, north of Melbourne or elsewhere. 3 seismographs came up with what could have been an M1+ almost simultaneously. The Toolangi seismo came in a very close second registering of a tremor somewhere nearby...? Will see if Geoscience registers anything.

I was going to say that Oklahoma may come up with an M4, and an M3.7 has just registered on the maps.

If I am correct, the New Madrid and/or sister faults may have been playing up recently. Could this eventually translate over to the east/NE of the U.S. ?

Looking at the Global Incident Map/EQ's only, the Mediterranean seems very quiet at the moment.....

For now, Duck.

#1425873 - 13/06/2017 11:16 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Jax Offline
Weather Freak

Wow Duck, you certainly have a feel for this. A 6.2 has caused massive damage and killed at least one person on Lesbos in the Greek Islands. Only seven kilometres deep.

#1425880 - 13/06/2017 12:25 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Jax]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Jax and all.

I appreciate your complement Jax wink . I have been fleetingly following the Global Incident Map/EQ's this morning, only, and totally missed the happening of the quake in the Mediterranean. It sounds to be a nasty quake unfortunately.

I had a sneaking suspicion that the Mediterranean was 'too' quiet. Though this is not a scientific perspective [as I am not a scientist], I felt that with all of the other activity happening elsewhere [M5's], the Mediterranean [according only to what was showing up on the Global Map] was too quiet - meaning that I obscurely felt that the current global energies would filter [if that is possible] into the Mediterranean region somewhere. I wasn't 'hoping' for the energy to show up there or anywhere else, but I was watching that region 'out the corner of my eye'.

Australia is still bopping along with tremors here and there, and a fairly unusual place for a tremor came up [as I felt might] in the Murray region of NSW [Balranald]. Interesting how the energy causing the temors in Vic and NSW has headed inland [NSW primarily atm.] for the time being. I thought offshore Eden [NSW] may have shown up with a tremor, but hasn't yet.

Here's the last 30 days of tremors/quakes in Australia

For now, Duck.

Just found a vid of the M6+ today

Edited by duckweather (13/06/2017 12:29)
Edit Reason: added a vid

Page 126 of 131 < 1 2 ... 124 125 126 127 128 130 131 >

Who's Online
11 registered (Sidney, Perfect Storm, Petros, kizz, Steve777, dknever, snowbooby, Brett Guy, zobubble, 2 invisible), 255 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
ronaldo7, Storm within
Forum Stats
29444 Members
32 Forums
23760 Topics
1472231 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image