Another good shake near chili

#1426046 - 15/06/2017 12:54 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi tsunami and all.

On the 10th, I mentioned;
Quote:
The Atlantic Ridge has been coming up with sporadic M5's in the last week too. I am wondering if some more tremors may come up near Portugal, Britain, south of Ghana [at sea], Gibraltar and maybe Iceland again...??

So far SW of Ghana [at sea] and Portugal [has just come up with an M4+] and, I think Iceland? have come up with the quakes I anticipated.

The larger western Turkey and Guatemala quakes have been the largest quakes so far. The western Turkey quake is and has been rather relentless with after-movements. The Guatemala quake has had some post niggles, but is tending to come up with near location M4+'s instead.

The larger quakes don't really surprise me. In the Pacific, I anticipated a run of M5's in the current time/days and along with that I had a sneaking suspicion that M5's were not going to be the only 'larger' tremors we were going to see. I had a gut feeling that even larger quakes were going to come up in the mix - it seemed there was/is too much energy, over a very large distance in the Pacific, bopping around the Pacific plates and faults [deep sea].
New Zealand has also had a good shaker in the Kermadecs. It may not be beyond reasonable to suspect that PNG or Vanuatu or eastern Indonesia or Philippines or somewhere around these regions may also come up with an M5+ or M6+....hope not, but will wait and see.

Maybe all of this activity will translate west across Indonesia and through to the Himalayas [maybe below countries] - but I could be wrong.

Germany has had a tremor a day ago. So the European countries across this region may also come up with a tremor somewhere. The words 'the Alps' are sticking in my mind's eye atm.. The Netherlands may also come up with a small tremor as may the British Isles or somehwere in the seas surrounding them.

The Aegean Sea came up with a quake recently too, which I wasn't aware of till last night. Over recent days I have had a thought that the Aegean or a country on its periphery may see some activity. Italy may come into a new round of tremors too.

Yellowstone has been 'playing up' with tremors and Hawaii has been rocking along with some small tremors in an almost synchronicity.

Alaska is slightly revving up with a couple of tremors [M3 and M3+]. They may come up with an M4 or M4+ again soon.

The Pacific is unsettled.

For now, Duck.

#1426081 - 15/06/2017 21:44 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again for today.

I have been following the Global Incident Map/EQ's for a long time. But what I am finding is that many of the other worldwide tremors/quakes are not registering on this map. So this silly Duck remembered to watch the European Map for other tremors.
Well, it seems that the Mediterranean and other European regions haven't been that quiet over the last few days as I initially thought [whilst watching the Global map]. Since my last post some of the quakes I thought were going to come up in the Mediterranean have occurred. In future, I will be watching, when I can, both the above linked maps and the Global Map combined. This will give me a better overall view of what is 'moving' around the planet.

I got too used to the Global map and realized it was rather strange that no other tremors, in places other than the U.S., Oz and the Pacific and other places - generally weren't showing up on this map. Oh well, hopefully this will give me an even better 'take' on what is going on in the EQ world from now on - dunno why I didn't do this sooner. blush

Cheers for now, Duck.

#1426300 - 19/06/2017 22:34 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Well the Pacific hasn't let up with M5's and a couple of M5+'s. As I mentioned recently and I suspected would happen, the areas of Indonesia, Philippines etc came up with quakes.
So too has the base of the Himalayas and I feel that the Mediterranean will continue to come up with tremors. I get a bit of a feeling that the volcano in Italy may show some more activity too.

I actually also feel that we may see some more volcanic activity come up in other places too.
The region around Yellowstone has been having quite alot of movement/tremors in recent time and still now. Some feel it is not a good sign, whilst others are preferring to think it may be just a not unusual periodic run of tremors. Whether it is volcanic or faultline related some are unsure. I feel that it may be volcanic.

Here's a way out thought of mine, that Yellowstone [and associated volcanic provenances] may be linked to Hawaii. Then included in the link possibly is a line which part deviates over to the trench and plate edge between below Japan and north of NZ -> then up to Kamchatka ,Russia. To make more sense on this, I would want to draw some lines on a map to illustrate what I mean. Generally, I tend to think that many of the world's volcanoes are linked by a system of what could be imagined as volcanic arteries, a bit like our own [human body] where some are more obvious under the skin [with the odd eruption sites] and the rest lying deep below the surface.

Some time ago I mentioned that I felt we may see more volcanic activity in near times. I still feel this may happen. I get a gut feeling that some regions which are feeling many minor and fluctuating tremors near some volcano sites may indicate this potential. But, remember folks, I am not a scientist nor do I have 'facts' to prove any of what I suspect may be a possibility. Soooo....pinch of salt with what I say.

Getting a wee feeling Oz may come into another jitter here and there. Vic, NSW, SA, WA more likely. QLD a bit of a chance. The line running up from west of MT Gambier -> through to the NT may come up with another tremor??? Not sure about Tassie at this stage - even though way, way SE of Tassie came up with an M5 recently.

Anyway, for now, Duck.

#1426369 - 20/06/2017 20:06 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
Thought the house moved early today but nope nothing registered

#1426528 - 22/06/2017 20:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi tsunami and all.

That movement you thought you felt the other day tsunami may not have been a figment of your imagination, I reckon. Even though not much showed up on the seismo's near you, it doesn't mean you didn't feel anything. I have had instances here when I have felt a very slight similar thing and the seismo's would have needed to be right near me to have picked something up. Usually when I am sitting at the computer, I have a glass of water sitting near me, which picks up small movements that a seismo elsewhere in Victoria won't have.

The M3+ tremor that was registered on the Geoscience website in Queensland [near Aramac, Central Outback] has been removed from the records just now. Dunno what happened there...?

As I mentioned in a previous post, feeling that Oz was going to come into another run of tremors, tremors are starting to pop up again in what I see as 'runs' or cylces of tremors, especially after and during the concerted activity [some of it very deep] in the Pacific. In my mind's-eye, when I see locations south of the Oz continent coming up with M5's, I get a feeling that we could see another run or extra energy to push tremors back into the lower half of Oz. I am wondering if the tremors coming up near Marble Bar - NW of WA - are being given some energy to move from the NE of the Indian Ocean and Indonesia...???

The Atlantic regions I had previously mentioned may come up with tremors, such as Portugal, Iceland, the North Sea [between Britain and Norway] etc.., have been coming up with those quakes/tremors as I felt they would. The North Pole has been sneaking a couple of quakes in too in the last few weeks.

Yellowstone is still misbehaving as I felt it would. Some energy is lurking closer to the Gulf of Mexico too. For some obscure reason, my mind's-eye is tracking towards San Antonio or Austin - Texas...but could be wrong for a tremor for that region.

Anyway as always there is also much nattering i could do regarding other regions, but don't want to bore you all smile

For the moment, Duck.

#1426764 - 27/06/2017 17:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I've lost track, a bit, of the quakes/tremors in the last couple of days, so a bit of a catch up needed smile

I think South Australia may have just had a tremor?? Mount Gambier, Mount Rat or other location...not sure at this stage. The movement has registered across some seismo's in Victoria as well.

Australia has come into another 'run' of tremors as I felt it would. And this will continue.

Hopefully I'll do a better post soon.

For now, Duck.

#1426814 - 28/06/2017 12:16 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Just on the tremor I saw come up on the seismo's [last post]. It does not surprise me that SW-offshore of Mount Gambier has been pegged as the location for that tremor - M3+ at 10kms deep. The Mount gambier seismo was the first to register the movement, with some others in Vic and SA not far behind [seconds]. My gut was telling me it was Mt Gambier because of this and after typing my last post I was convinced, after re-reading the seismo readings across Vic and SA that it was near Mount Gambier.

I would say that this is not a common location for a tremor in Australia. It seems [feels] to me that Bass Strait may be harbouring some potential to a small movement as well. Given that the central- NW of Victoria recently came up with a tremor. NSW/Muswellbrook has had a mini cluster of tremors. The fault causing this may be related to the fault that cause the nasty Newcastle quake some years ago. But can't prove that.

On a side note, there have been some more of those explosions heard in eastern Victoria in the last week. There was a meteorite [verified] as well. I saw it myself by chance as I was feeding the dogs. Fascinating site, though I have seen many in 'my time'.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (28/06/2017 12:17)
Edit Reason: spelling again ;)

#1427276 - 03/07/2017 17:59 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

had a look at the Global Map last night and noticed something I thought was slightly interesting. There was a 12 hour period where the quakes coming up along some of the main plates [Pacific, through the Himalayas etc] were all in an average [of all] sized M4.5 at 10 kms deep. They varied from the low M4's up to about M4.7. It almost looked like the same level of energy was affecting the plates in that time frame. I can't prove that of course. 'Usually' we tend to see a mix of M5's, the odd M4 and an M6 [bit of a chance] thrown in a similar time frames, with several M3's affecting the U.S. or Canadian regions. But the M4's were so uniform in that 12 hours time frame, it just caught my eye.

Regarding my recent mention that I thought Texas [near San Antonio or Austin] would come up with a tremor, and it did a smidgen SE of San Antonio, an M3 on the 2nd of July [UTC time].

NSW has been quite active with tremors, with an M2 coming up about 150kms east of Griffith yesterday 'lunchtime' and another this morning [early] about 50kms north of Goulburn. SA and WA have also come up with a couple of tremors in the last 7 days.

The Kermadecs have thrown up some larger quakes and the area around Fiji has come up with a deep quake [the hinge/ear]. Other parts of NZ have come up with tremors too, especially the South Island [lower].

A little while back [a few posts], I mentioned the words "the Alps" as words relating to a region which I felt was going to come up with a quake. The Swiss Alps, east of Geneva, came up with a good rattler, an M4.3.

I know I have missed, yet again, some of the EQ action in recent days.

For now, Duck.

#1427546 - 06/07/2017 18:31 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks. I have been a bit slack with posts lately smile But I hope to do some sort of catching up or just starting afresh from here.

That larger quake in Montana - M5.8 100 minutes ago was a good one which, if you were watching the smaller movements coming up sporadically in that and the nearby region, it may have been fair to think that something was brewing somewhere in the mountain ranges [Rockies] there. This region is a bit NNW of Yellowstone, and if you remember recently Yellowstone was ricking along to a cluster of tremors. Maybe that region sent energies up the fault lines towards Montana...?
There have been several after movements in Montana, which will fluctuate in size before it settles at some point. There may have been some landslides associated with this concerted movement/s.

As I am typing this post the Philippines has just come up with an a bit of a nasty M6.9. This is on land, so may have caused some problems for the folks there - hopefully nothing nasty.

NSW has thrown in a small tremor of M1.9 near Singleton. So Australia may keep coming up with the odd tremor here and there, before it start up with another run of tremors in various states again.

After the 'run' of M4's all over the place and especially the Pacific, the size of the quakes have started to sneak into the M5 region. With the Philippines larger quake, this may be the start of a run of M5's with the potential of a few M6's....??

Hawaii may come up with an M3+.

I meant to mention in a previous post that the ocean regions south of the Australian continent may come up with the odd M5. This did happen, but I didn't mention my feelings - yet again.

Fiji has had a very deep M4+ today and this being the 'hinge' area I often refer to ma be the signal or precursor to quakes such as the one in the Philippines. Chile or somewhere on the west coast of South America may strangely marry into this potential energy, as may NZ [not on a large scale/size]...will see. I may be wrong.

There may be another mountain range/alps region to come into the picture of quake activity...?

Vanuatu, PNG or eastern Indonesia and Easter Island may also come into the tremor 'picture'...?

Anyway for now, Duck.

#1427719 - 09/07/2017 19:52 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Well the northern side [and NE] of the Australian Plate has been throwing up some concerted activity as I felt it would. This has translated to the west, past what I mentioned in my previous post.

The east coast of South America has come up in unison too, as I felt it would. Actually virtually all of the regions I felt would come up with quakes have done so.

I am watching with interest the United States at the moment. The region to the NW of Yellowstone and Yellowstone itself is active. I read somewhere a 'local' in a nearby region said that geysers were being activated where they would normally only show niggles. Apparently Old Faithful at Yellowstone or one of the other geysers blew a ripper of a spout in reaction to all of the activity there. Some folks are concerned about all of this activity. Montana is behaving as I said it would, with fluctuating tremors/quakes. This may go on for a bit longer yet. Lower California [around Mammoth Lakes and nearby] is active and it's activity may be related to what is happening in and near Yellowstone. Oklahoma is also in the mix.

SW of Eureka [upper/middle California] offshore may come up with an M4+.
Slightly further inland of /in Washington or Oregon states may come up with an M4.

I get a bit of a feeling that the energy in the U.S. west may be building to a release of a couple of M5's or an M6 somewhere.

Hawaii almost came up with the M3'ish I was anticipating. With the activity on the western side of the U.S. ['mainland'] I feel that Hawaii may come up with an M4'ish.....?

The Atlantic Ridge, as is a junction in the Indian Ocean, is feeling some pressure at the moment. For the Indian Ocean, there may be a quake come up way west of Western Australia - either due west or SW of Perth[ way out at sea] or west/way out at sea of Geraldton. Or, maybe further north, offshore, up the coast of W.A. [way out at sea]....??

Regarding the Indian Ocean, apart from the far NE, up into and near the Arabian Sea may come up with a quake too. Alternatively, the location may be near the Gulf of Aden, Persian Gulf, Gulf of Oman or the Red Sea.....???

N.S.W. is still feeling movements near Boorowa. As I said in my last post, and as I suspected, Australia will come into another run of tremors, though apart from NSW, the frequency has been a little less than I thought it would - at the moment...

A Mediterranean location may come up with an M5+

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (09/07/2017 19:53)

#1427832 - 11/07/2017 17:25 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
petethemoskeet Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: toowoomba
Just now a 6.5 off the west coast of NZ

Edited by petethemoskeet (11/07/2017 17:29)

#1427836 - 11/07/2017 18:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: petethemoskeet]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi petethemoskeet and all.

I was watching and noticing all of the seismo's in NSW, Victoria and SA were picking up on some energy today. They were all being 'fed' something going on and about to 'give'. I believe you could even hear some of the 'vibrations' registering in the seimo's if you had an ear to the floor. I was lying on the couch all arvo [bronchitis] and reckon you could faintly feel and hear some vibrations through the floorboards. I don't have a link to Tassie seismo's - but I reckon theirs would have been showing the same irritations.

Now that quake was near Auckland Island, which is about 500kms SW of the South Island of New Zealand has come up with a doozy M6.8, this - given what I saw on the seismo's today - does not surprise me in the least - I could feel it in me bones that something decent was brewing.

Will see if any energy from this larger quake travels west [to near Tassie or along the plate edge running between Antarctica and Australia] or back up into NZ.

For the moment, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (11/07/2017 18:41)

#1428028 - 15/07/2017 09:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Thanks duck
Its been very quiet. No 7 pointers or above since January. Very rare

#1428131 - 16/07/2017 12:19 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hooperbeets is putting late July as a high chance period for large quakes.. geuss will see what unfolds

#1428161 - 16/07/2017 21:06 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

From about 24th july just for update

#1428189 - 17/07/2017 12:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi tsunami and all. Sorry been a bit slack on posting, been really crook with bronchitis and the brain cells have suffered - brain fog crazy

Got some catching up to do [again].

Australia is coming up with a 'new' run of tremors. With the quake action happening around the peripheries of Australia [the plates], it does not surprise me that tremors have started to pop up again, particularly near or off coastlines.

The 'hinge' [as I call it] near Fiji and surrounds may have kicked off the quake near Tonga some hours ago. There has even been a 'strange' quake in the Sth Pacific Ocean [about 2000kms west of Ecuador].

Regarding Mr H. [Hooperbeets], I have not followed or seen his posts for a long time now. But will have a look later to see what he has said. I get a feeling we may see a large quake come up soon, but need to focus more on what has been happening with the 'trends' of the energy going around the planet at the moment.

Hopefully I will be a bit more informative or interesting in my next post folks - back to dippy Duck soon smile

Cheers for now.

#1428281 - 18/07/2017 09:57 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just broke the drought for 7 pointers
Bearing sea has just had a 7.2
Getting close to casscadia

#1428314 - 18/07/2017 12:57 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Mad Elf #1.5 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Hallen QLD
And a 6.4 & 6.7 off Peru as well.
Is there going to be a third location?

#1428324 - 18/07/2017 14:29 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Mad Elf #1.5]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Mad Elf - my answer to your question would be 'yes'.

Till later, Duck.

Page 127 of 128 < 1 2 ... 125 126 127 128 >

Who's Online
9 registered (Kino, Markus, chasers addict, Eevo, saltspray, adon, DarrylS, HughJarse, 1 invisible), 66 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Astraphobia, Jillamanda, terrydavidphoto
Forum Stats
29341 Members
32 Forums
23661 Topics
1458412 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image