Another good shake near chili

#1426046 - 15/06/2017 12:54 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi tsunami and all.

On the 10th, I mentioned;
Quote:
The Atlantic Ridge has been coming up with sporadic M5's in the last week too. I am wondering if some more tremors may come up near Portugal, Britain, south of Ghana [at sea], Gibraltar and maybe Iceland again...??

So far SW of Ghana [at sea] and Portugal [has just come up with an M4+] and, I think Iceland? have come up with the quakes I anticipated.

The larger western Turkey and Guatemala quakes have been the largest quakes so far. The western Turkey quake is and has been rather relentless with after-movements. The Guatemala quake has had some post niggles, but is tending to come up with near location M4+'s instead.

The larger quakes don't really surprise me. In the Pacific, I anticipated a run of M5's in the current time/days and along with that I had a sneaking suspicion that M5's were not going to be the only 'larger' tremors we were going to see. I had a gut feeling that even larger quakes were going to come up in the mix - it seemed there was/is too much energy, over a very large distance in the Pacific, bopping around the Pacific plates and faults [deep sea].
New Zealand has also had a good shaker in the Kermadecs. It may not be beyond reasonable to suspect that PNG or Vanuatu or eastern Indonesia or Philippines or somewhere around these regions may also come up with an M5+ or M6+....hope not, but will wait and see.

Maybe all of this activity will translate west across Indonesia and through to the Himalayas [maybe below countries] - but I could be wrong.

Germany has had a tremor a day ago. So the European countries across this region may also come up with a tremor somewhere. The words 'the Alps' are sticking in my mind's eye atm.. The Netherlands may also come up with a small tremor as may the British Isles or somehwere in the seas surrounding them.

The Aegean Sea came up with a quake recently too, which I wasn't aware of till last night. Over recent days I have had a thought that the Aegean or a country on its periphery may see some activity. Italy may come into a new round of tremors too.

Yellowstone has been 'playing up' with tremors and Hawaii has been rocking along with some small tremors in an almost synchronicity.

Alaska is slightly revving up with a couple of tremors [M3 and M3+]. They may come up with an M4 or M4+ again soon.

The Pacific is unsettled.

For now, Duck.

#1426081 - 15/06/2017 21:44 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again for today.

I have been following the Global Incident Map/EQ's for a long time. But what I am finding is that many of the other worldwide tremors/quakes are not registering on this map. So this silly Duck remembered to watch the European Map for other tremors.
Well, it seems that the Mediterranean and other European regions haven't been that quiet over the last few days as I initially thought [whilst watching the Global map]. Since my last post some of the quakes I thought were going to come up in the Mediterranean have occurred. In future, I will be watching, when I can, both the above linked maps and the Global Map combined. This will give me a better overall view of what is 'moving' around the planet.

I got too used to the Global map and realized it was rather strange that no other tremors, in places other than the U.S., Oz and the Pacific and other places - generally weren't showing up on this map. Oh well, hopefully this will give me an even better 'take' on what is going on in the EQ world from now on - dunno why I didn't do this sooner. blush

Cheers for now, Duck.

#1426300 - 19/06/2017 22:34 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Well the Pacific hasn't let up with M5's and a couple of M5+'s. As I mentioned recently and I suspected would happen, the areas of Indonesia, Philippines etc came up with quakes.
So too has the base of the Himalayas and I feel that the Mediterranean will continue to come up with tremors. I get a bit of a feeling that the volcano in Italy may show some more activity too.

I actually also feel that we may see some more volcanic activity come up in other places too.
The region around Yellowstone has been having quite alot of movement/tremors in recent time and still now. Some feel it is not a good sign, whilst others are preferring to think it may be just a not unusual periodic run of tremors. Whether it is volcanic or faultline related some are unsure. I feel that it may be volcanic.

Here's a way out thought of mine, that Yellowstone [and associated volcanic provenances] may be linked to Hawaii. Then included in the link possibly is a line which part deviates over to the trench and plate edge between below Japan and north of NZ -> then up to Kamchatka ,Russia. To make more sense on this, I would want to draw some lines on a map to illustrate what I mean. Generally, I tend to think that many of the world's volcanoes are linked by a system of what could be imagined as volcanic arteries, a bit like our own [human body] where some are more obvious under the skin [with the odd eruption sites] and the rest lying deep below the surface.

Some time ago I mentioned that I felt we may see more volcanic activity in near times. I still feel this may happen. I get a gut feeling that some regions which are feeling many minor and fluctuating tremors near some volcano sites may indicate this potential. But, remember folks, I am not a scientist nor do I have 'facts' to prove any of what I suspect may be a possibility. Soooo....pinch of salt with what I say.

Getting a wee feeling Oz may come into another jitter here and there. Vic, NSW, SA, WA more likely. QLD a bit of a chance. The line running up from west of MT Gambier -> through to the NT may come up with another tremor??? Not sure about Tassie at this stage - even though way, way SE of Tassie came up with an M5 recently.

Anyway, for now, Duck.

#1426369 - 20/06/2017 20:06 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
Thought the house moved early today but nope nothing registered

#1426528 - 22/06/2017 20:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi tsunami and all.

That movement you thought you felt the other day tsunami may not have been a figment of your imagination, I reckon. Even though not much showed up on the seismo's near you, it doesn't mean you didn't feel anything. I have had instances here when I have felt a very slight similar thing and the seismo's would have needed to be right near me to have picked something up. Usually when I am sitting at the computer, I have a glass of water sitting near me, which picks up small movements that a seismo elsewhere in Victoria won't have.

The M3+ tremor that was registered on the Geoscience website in Queensland [near Aramac, Central Outback] has been removed from the records just now. Dunno what happened there...?

As I mentioned in a previous post, feeling that Oz was going to come into another run of tremors, tremors are starting to pop up again in what I see as 'runs' or cylces of tremors, especially after and during the concerted activity [some of it very deep] in the Pacific. In my mind's-eye, when I see locations south of the Oz continent coming up with M5's, I get a feeling that we could see another run or extra energy to push tremors back into the lower half of Oz. I am wondering if the tremors coming up near Marble Bar - NW of WA - are being given some energy to move from the NE of the Indian Ocean and Indonesia...???

The Atlantic regions I had previously mentioned may come up with tremors, such as Portugal, Iceland, the North Sea [between Britain and Norway] etc.., have been coming up with those quakes/tremors as I felt they would. The North Pole has been sneaking a couple of quakes in too in the last few weeks.

Yellowstone is still misbehaving as I felt it would. Some energy is lurking closer to the Gulf of Mexico too. For some obscure reason, my mind's-eye is tracking towards San Antonio or Austin - Texas...but could be wrong for a tremor for that region.

Anyway as always there is also much nattering i could do regarding other regions, but don't want to bore you all smile

For the moment, Duck.

#1426764 - Yesterday at 17:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I've lost track, a bit, of the quakes/tremors in the last couple of days, so a bit of a catch up needed smile

I think South Australia may have just had a tremor?? Mount Gambier, Mount Rat or other location...not sure at this stage. The movement has registered across some seismo's in Victoria as well.

Australia has come into another 'run' of tremors as I felt it would. And this will continue.

Hopefully I'll do a better post soon.

For now, Duck.

#1426814 - Today at 12:16 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Just on the tremor I saw come up on the seismo's [last post]. It does not surprise me that SW-offshore of Mount Gambier has been pegged as the location for that tremor - M3+ at 10kms deep. The Mount gambier seismo was the first to register the movement, with some others in Vic and SA not far behind [seconds]. My gut was telling me it was Mt Gambier because of this and after typing my last post I was convinced, after re-reading the seismo readings across Vic and SA that it was near Mount Gambier.

I would say that this is not a common location for a tremor in Australia. It seems [feels] to me that Bass Strait may be harbouring some potential to a small movement as well. Given that the central- NW of Victoria recently came up with a tremor. NSW/Muswellbrook has had a mini cluster of tremors. The fault causing this may be related to the fault that cause the nasty Newcastle quake some years ago. But can't prove that.

On a side note, there have been some more of those explosions heard in eastern Victoria in the last week. There was a meteorite [verified] as well. I saw it myself by chance as I was feeding the dogs. Fascinating site, though I have seen many in 'my time'.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (Today at 12:17)
Edit Reason: spelling again ;)

Page 127 of 127 < 1 2 ... 125 126 127

Who's Online
8 registered (Multiversity, snowforus, Steve777, Cheers, Listy, buggerthatwasclose, EddyG, Snowies), 315 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Darumbal, SteveD
Forum Stats
29298 Members
32 Forums
23627 Topics
1454324 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image