Page 135 of 139 < 1 2 ... 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 >
Topic Options
#1463125 - 04/05/2018 21:16 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Mad Elf #1.5]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
oHi Mad Elf and all.

This was the sort of activity I was suspecting may happen for Hawaii when I mention a possible M4 a couple of posts ago. There are mandatory evacuations for the folks in the region [estate] near the erupting Kilauea volcano. I hope this not a prelude to a bigger eruption and that Kilauea is just 'letting off' some serious energy and will settle very soon.
This activity follows on from all of the quake activity on the west coasts of the U.S and Canada. Though the volcanic 'ridges', undersea, from Hawaii seem to connect with Kamchatka in Russia, I have always felt that there is a connection between the west coasts [and Yellowstone and other volcanic regions] of the U.S..

Victoria came up with the tremor I was waiting for 2 hours after my last post. It was almost like 'sitting on a chair' and just waiting for it to happen. Australia has had a good run of tremors in the last month - with more spikes in activity than I have seen for a while.

Easter Island has the occasional M5, but is not as regular as other places in the Pacific Ocean western side. Another quake has come up SE of Easter Island. 2 within a short space of time, within a close region there is not that common.

The deeper activity in the Pacific west/mid [Pacific Islands] is now throwing up shallower quakes. I see this as a natural follow on as some of the energy causing the deep ones rises and spreads to set off ones closer to the surface.

NZ may come into the picture again with an M4 or more in response to the previous paragraph.
In the last 7 days, it looks like the whole of the N/NE part of the Australian Plate has shifted enough to send up quakes - almost in a distinct line - from Indonesia and all the way over to the Kermadec Islands and back.

Of course there are always other region coming up with quakes around the planet. The Bay of Bengal is one region partially on my radar [countries/coastlines in this region] as a maybe for a moderately larger quake. But I could be wrong.

For now, Duck.

#1463126 - 04/05/2018 21:20 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Mad Elf #1.5 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Hallen QLD
Lava breaching surface at Leilani Estate forcing 10000ppl evacuation. Not good.
Yea, cheers Duck, doesnt look good for the folks over there atm.

Edited by Mad Elf #1.5 (04/05/2018 21:22)

#1463142 - 05/05/2018 08:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
Wowow
The amount of earthquakes jn Hawaii
They just had a 6.5
Thats getting up there for volcanoe triggered earthquakes
Perhaps bigger things to come

#1463148 - 05/05/2018 09:54 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Mad Elf and Tsunami and all.

I had a horrible suspicion that there was going to be a larger quake there, which I hope does not translate into even more serious volcanic activity for the folks there.

Apparently some houses have been lost and could you imagine seeing a fissure spewing lava just up and in the road from your home? That would be frightening, or at least very unnerving.

Before the lava breaching the surface and apart from the tremors felt there. many folks were reporting the smell of sulphur in the air. I remember when I was a kid and travelled to Rotorua in New Zealand, where the smell of the sulphur was incredible - in conjunction with the mud pools bubbling away and the geysers were shooting up at regular intervals - to the delight of the visitors there. But there is no joy for the locals in the Leilani Estates and surrounds. Let alone folks further away from Kilauea - perhaps wondering if there may be any other volcanic [and tremor] activity anywhere else in the Hawaiian Islands.

Let's hope that it all settles down very soon and that no lives will be lost; any folks injured and no more houses are lost.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (05/05/2018 09:54)
Edit Reason: spelling again ;)

#1463149 - 05/05/2018 10:36 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
That 6.5 upgradded to a 6.9
Must be a fair bit going on under the ground

#1463151 - 05/05/2018 12:12 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Rather sobering vision.

This video and others from Big Island Video and News [you can watch other current videos on the volcanic and EQ activity there by clicking on the Big Island Video News title] offers a very interesting perspective of what is going on in Hawaii currently.

Duck.

Edited by duckweather (05/05/2018 12:18)
Edit Reason: update with extra info

#1463282 - 07/05/2018 10:31 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

The situation with tremors/quakes and volcanic activity is not letting up in Hawaii, sadly. The vision in the videos on Hawaii News Now [link below] is just incredible. Truly looks like hell on earth.

Hawaii News Now

There have been a number of M5's cropping up across the planet too in almost quick succession since Hawaii's larger quake. Varying in depth from 10 to 100 kms deep.
A very interesting "unusual location" for an M5 is Louisianan's EQ, offshore SE of New Orleans.
I read somewhere yesterday, that one of Washington's volcanic regions is experiencing some clustering of small tremors too. But would have to double check if that is correct. Yellowstone has had a tremor, but not super unusual.

I am wondering if because of the activity in Hawaii, if there will be any more volcanoes in other places to show raised or renewed activity too.....?

For now, Duck.

#1463301 - 07/05/2018 13:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Mad Elf #1.5 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Some hairy footage there. Hard to imagine being near a 230ft lava fountain. The roar must be incredible.
Some people are still expecting an M8, wow.

Edited by Mad Elf #1.5 (07/05/2018 13:14)

#1463322 - 07/05/2018 16:27 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Rsav Offline
Weather Freak

How close to Kilauea are those homes, and why were they built there? It must have been considered a safe area at the time. I guess it's hard to predict where a new fissure might open up some day.

What now for the people who lost their homes? Do they get government assistance, or would insurance cover them? Presumably it would be hard to get insurance for earthquakes and volcanic eruptions in a place like that, or if they can, the premiums must be pretty steep.

#1463334 - 07/05/2018 18:56 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Mad Elf #1.5 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Real Estate is very expensive over there, they let you build houses in those areas but at your own risk. Insurance, ha.
Was reading an article the other day of people unable to afford the high cost in a 'safer' location. Apparently Leilani Estate & surrounds is cheaper compared to others.

#1463361 - 08/05/2018 02:00 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Rsav Offline
Weather Freak

Even if it's at the owner's risk it's still dumb to allow development in such areas, as it still imposes costs upon the public when eruptions occur, such as evacuation, repair of damaged infrastructure like roads, temporary housing for affected residents and hospitalisation of injured people.

Edited by Rsav (08/05/2018 02:06)

#1463362 - 08/05/2018 06:01 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
Where this is happening Is about 45km from the volcanoe.

#1463650 - 11/05/2018 09:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Mad Elf #1.5 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Seems the Live Earthquake Map stopped working 10hrs ago. Plenty of tremors at Hawaii AND California as well.
Hope its not a form of censorship. Doesnt bode well for people in Hawaii or California for that matter.

Edited by Mad Elf #1.5 (11/05/2018 09:19)

#1463666 - 11/05/2018 11:43 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Mad Elf #1.5]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Mad Elf and all.

Yep, the global map has gone into hibernation [just kidding] at the moment. It will come back online.

On the USGS Earthquakes map you can see how Mount Ranier and Mount St Helens are having a few small tremors. Tremors in these places are not unusual, given that they are volcanic regions, but I haven't seen the slight increase in number of tremors for a while. Will wait and see what happens with their volcano regions currently and in the near future to see if there is a further increase in any activity there or any where else in the U.S. - including Yellowstone scratching an itch too.

Australia is still having cycles [with fairly short time gaps between the occurrences] of tremors with NSW and WA having the greater number than any other location at the moment [unless I have missed something].

Just regarding Hawaii, some feel that the drop in the lava levels in the craters [mainly in the big volcano there] could become a concern if it reaches the water table below. If this occurs, not only would there be a decent tremor there, but an explosive eruption of steam, mixed with ash, rocks and anything else in the mix. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.
There are 15 fissures in Hawaii now and no end insight for the activity. If you look at the maps of the fissures, you can see the fissures are generally coming up in a straight'ish line running east of the volcanoes. I think eventually, this may reach the coast line/sea if the pressure persists.

For the moment, Duck.

#1463668 - 11/05/2018 11:55 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Mad Elf #1.5 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Thanks for the update Duck, Cheers.
Lets hope Yellowstone behaves itself. Would make Hawaii look like a hot snack. Reports around there that animals behaving abnormally.

#1463734 - 12/05/2018 11:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Mad Elf #1.5 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Decent 4.1 jolt at Strzelecki Dunes in SA earlier at a reasonably shallow depth of 10km. Dont think too many people live there to have felt that one.

Edited by Mad Elf #1.5 (12/05/2018 11:19)

#1463817 - 14/05/2018 13:00 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Mad Elf #1.5]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Mad Elf and all.

I said a little while ago that an M4'ish may come up in Australia somewhere. SA came up with the one you mentioned Mad Elf. The tension being built up on our continent was bound to give up an M4 eventually. I am a little surprised that a slightly larger [poss. M5] hasn't come up yet.

Overall, there have been some tremors/quakes come up in "unusual" places [I mentioned would - but wasn't sure where] in a few locations across the globe. One came up offshore NW of Madagascar and another Maruba [M2.8] on the northern coast of South America. There may have been some others too but haven't caught up with all of the activity yet.

The west coast of the U.S. has been rattling along, with tremors travelling and included inland and into Nevada. Oklahoma has had an M4 today, which I reckon marries into an overall series of energies affecting the western side of the U.S. atm.. The eastern side of the U.S. may not avoid this energy at some point. The border with Canada, along the long line from the Candian east coast -> back west and into and along the St Lawrence waterways [heading back towards e.g. Toronto, Detroit and/or Chicago] may 'give' a little to produce a tremor or two at some point.

The Hawaiian tremors are ongoing in conjunction with the volcanic activity there. 20 fissures are now apparent and I feel that that lava will push its way to the southern and far eastern coasts of the Big Island. Apparently the lava fissures have bypassed [or passed under] the Puna Geothermal Venture energy conversion plant on the eastern side of Big Island. Lets hope that the lava 'decides' to continue to not surface at this plant. Half of the explosive [potential] materials have been removed from this site [maybe more unbeknownst to me] to avoid an explosive situation if the lava surfaces there in a new fissure. Either the lava is forcing its way through ancient/old established lava paths underground or it is finding weak spots in the terrain - with a excess of pressure as it carries on - causing the lava and other associated 'stuff' to burst through the ground. I am not a scientist so my thoughts may be wrong here.

I haven't checked the Euro EQ maps yet, so there may be some activity there that I have missed by purely following here and there the Global Incidents Map/EQ.

Another volcano has gone off, not surprisingly, in Indonesia and I feel there will be others showing heightened activity across the planet in various locations.

Here is the link to the latest report from Hawaii Big Island;
Hawaii News

Mileka Lincoln does a wonderful and informative job reporting on the Hawaiian activity - excellent reporter.

We are still getting very small rattles in closed wooden doors here. This may be from the nearby local tremors [WA and SA and possibly un-recordable tremors in Vic], but I have a sneaking feeling that Vic may be stealthily moving here and there.

Anyway, for now, Duck.

#1463824 - 14/05/2018 14:57 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just adding to my last post today - there are now tremors coming up on other parts of the Big Island now - see Big Island EQ map

#1463882 - 15/05/2018 12:44 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Just as I suspected Victoria has had 2 tremors today. Both NW of Echuca, apparently, at M1.7 and M2.0 respectively.

Now, I am having a lazy day today, so I have been ferreting around netflix for a good documentary/ies to watch for a couple of hours. I stumbled across a series called Disaster Earth. In series 1 - episode 2, there is an interesting doco on tsunamis.
The reason I have mentioned this doco is by no means to be fear-mongering re: Hawaii - but found it interesting. The rest of the series is fascinating too.

Anyway, within the S1/Ep2, there is reference to Kilauea and part of its landform - crack in the south flank - which has been heavily monitored [and still is] for movement [which has been going on for a long time]. Let's hope that the release of lava and tremors to the far east of this volcano means that any pressure on the south flank is diminishing enough to not be a problem for the very long earth crack. Remember folks, I am very much an amateur observer and my perspectives or suspicions about some things may be way off.

It seems that the lava may be finding its way to the sea and will hopefully settle all the worrying activity for the folks affected by all of this activity. Time will tell what happens and like any act of Mother Earth, what ever she chooses to do - it is out of our hands.

For now, Duck.

#1463936 - 16/05/2018 14:43 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

Some interesting links;

Insurance questions answered for Hawaiian locals affected by lava impact

Volcano webcam/s
More volcano webcams and surrounds

The Kilauea volcano is now spewing out some volumes of ash. The earthquakes/volcanic quakes are fluctuating in size and are currently throwing up some M3's here and there.

Another region on the planet, which is not immune to earthquakes, and doesn't often appear on the Global Incidents Map/EQ's, is Mayotte [NW of Madagascar]. A swarm of tremors has been occurring there apparently. This is an ancient volcanic region. Interesting info - Mayotte quakes

The Indian Ocean is revving up a little since the Mayotte quakes. Though there have been other quakes before Mayotte too in the Indian Ocean regions within the last few weeks. But I feel the Mauritius quake today may be related to the several Mayotte quakes. The centre of the Indian Ocean [complex plate region] may come up with a quake too...???

Australia and NZ are continuing to feel tremors/quakes too currently. We had another very tiny rattle [wooden doors] again here in the dark hours this morning.

For the moment, Duck.

Edit: add another link - Civil Defence Hawaii Twitter

Edited by duckweather (16/05/2018 14:49)
Edit Reason: add info

Page 135 of 139 < 1 2 ... 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 >

Who's Online
10 registered (Jason P, Sidney, mysteriousbrad, Lee@Hazo, ashestoashes, doogasnow, Mcbobbings, 3 invisible), 67 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
caffeinated, Chaser_James, coffeeman, rhyso, Shear-iously
Forum Stats
29631 Members
32 Forums
23945 Topics
1495804 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image