Page 65 of 131 < 1 2 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 130 131 >
Topic Options
#1252804 - 02/04/2014 12:36 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Brett Guy Online   content
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
Very shallow too at only 10km. if it was a major thrust quake however it would have produced a big Tsunami quite quickly along the nearby coast so we can safely say this won't be an issue now.

#1252806 - 02/04/2014 12:42 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Brett Guy]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Yes Brett..thank goodness it may not have behaved in the same way as Japan in 2011.
There are reports that a 2 meter wave set has reached the Chile coast.
A restaurant on the water front caught fire after the quake hit, but other than that I haven't had a chance to find out any more info.

Duck.

#1252860 - 02/04/2014 18:00 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

(3rd post for today)

Hi again.

That nasty quake in Chile has caused 5 fatalities, landslides and quite a few other serious issues for the folks there.
There have been numerous, and continuous aftershocks (continuing movements) and was caused by the Pacific Plate moving east and under the plate that South America sits on.
see The Earthquake Report's Chile updating page

There was a tsunami which affected parts of the west coast of Chile, with the maximum height being approx. 2 meters (as we mentioned in earlier posts). The energy in the sea/tsunami travelled up streams and rivers coming in from the coast.

The authorities are waiting for daylight to get a better perspective of what damage has been done both by any inundation, but more-so the results of the shaking.

Given that the Pacific Plate movement has had such an impact on the Chile coast/Tarapaca, it wouldn't surprise me if some of this energy travelled north along the Plate. Maybe not to produce a quake as large as this.

There may even be a movement in the M4+ range lower down the Sth. American west coast at some point...?
Also I get a feeling that this movement may influence potential movements in the Caribbean region.

Central America (west coast) may also come up with an M4+....?

The west of the Pacific Plate may respond also with M5's and maybe an M5+? between Kamchatka down to NZ.

The Mediterranean may come up with an M4+

Remember, and I say again, I may wrong with my thoughts above about potential EQ's and the regions mentioned...so don't take what I say seriously...they are just feelings.

For now, Duck.

#1252862 - 02/04/2014 18:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petar @ Sdny Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: South West Sydney
Ongoing sizeable aftershocks offshore. I am thinking that the Northern plates and faults will get some impact in the next 12-24 hours with Alaska and Gulf of California to be watched for 5+

#1252864 - 02/04/2014 18:30 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Reports 5 deaths so far related to the quake. If the epicentre occurred much close to the coast or on land, the current USGS PAGER output below would probably look a lot different:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3834/13576613174_699b839436_b.jpg

#1252902 - 03/04/2014 05:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
Panama has had approx M6 quake.

#1252918 - 03/04/2014 10:02 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

This event in Chile is, to me, an 'unusual' kind of event.
As perrywinkle Brett and Ken have mentioned in the Tsunami thread, the energies expelled from these quakes, have had an effect on the whole of the Pacific Plate and caused water disturbances right across the Pacific, as has been registered on buoys right around the Pacific. It does not surprise me in the least that many buoys in the Pacific region have gone into event mode - I had a gut feeling that they were going to start registering within hours of the Chile quake/s.

If I am reading the buoy readings correctly, the 'normal' cycle of rises and falls by the buoys in the Pacific, were exacerbated when the quakes hit Chile. The Pacific plate as a whole was rattled. The buoys showed an instant rise or fall (depending on what each part of the rise/fall cycle the buoys were reading at the time), which was quite gob-smacking.

The aftershocks have been very sizable too (M4's, M5's etc.), This, to me, shows that the Pacific Plate near where the M8 occurred has/is experiencing some very solid movement and is very unstable.
I even saw a seismologist (I think he was from the America's, as he had an American accent and seemed to be being interviewed in the Chile region) saying that this may not be the largest quake to possibly hit this region and that the M8 may be a precursor to a larger quake. I thought that that was a very dramatic statement, but what if he is right?
I believe that many folks in the affected regions are very concerned by what he said and I would be too, if a bigger quake was to come to fruition. Let's hope he is very wrong....

It appears (or feels to me) that that part of the Chile west coast, up to Panama, and up again into Mexico, then across to the Caribbean, and back down through the top of South America - may be a 'block' of instability, not just involving the Pacific Plate....I may be wrong.

The release of the M8 and the aftershocks may be the release that the instability 'needed' (by the plates) in this region, hopefully reducing the potential build up to a larger quake...?

The follow on quake in Panama (M6) is an example of what if felt may occur (as I mentioned/suspected in a previous post yesterday). The movements in the Chile M8 region is so dynamic that it wouldn't surprise me if these quakes didn't irritate some distant faults and possibly send some more energy northward up the Pacific, and maybe even send some 'energy' through to the Atlantic as well as splaying out to various other regions in the Pacific. Maybe we may see several M5's coming up dotted around the Pacific in some places....?

I also get a small feeling that the South Sandwich Islands region may come up with an M5 too...will see.

These quake/s in Chile was/are the sort of EQ events I call foundation rattlers.
I hope for the folks in Chile and surrounding regions, that all settles for them very soon.

For now, Duck.

#1252942 - 03/04/2014 12:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.
Just thought I'd post this vid of the animation of the quake/tsunami behaviour/impact across the Pacific.

#1252950 - 03/04/2014 13:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Speaking of which duck, just posted a MOST model output in the tsunami thread (http://forum.weatherzone.com.au/ubbthreads.php/topics/1252948#Post1252948) which also shows the reach of the tsumami's energy.

#1252952 - 03/04/2014 13:57 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline
Weatherzone Addict

There's just been another sizeable one in the area at 1:43pm AEDT, presumably one of the aftershocks. Preliminary mag 7.4 with depth 10km.

#1252955 - 03/04/2014 14:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Magnitude of this latest shake now revised up to 7.8

#1252969 - 03/04/2014 15:41 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Ken Kato]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yes Ken and doesn't make you feel a little sick in the stomach for the folks experiencing these relentless quakes?

This EQ behaviour is quite concerning. If this doesn't have some sort of flow on effect in various places (as in EQ's in response/reaction) I'll be quite surprised.

I can only imagine the water disturbances of varying kinds being generated (currents etc.), let alone what such rattling can do to infrastructure, roads, hillsides, lake beds etc...

Let's keep hoping for the best for Chile.

Japan has come up with an M5.5 today. I still feel there may be more of these M5's to come - around that Pacific, unfortunately - with a slight outside chance of another larger quake (M6+?) somewhere??? Hope I am wrong - and probably will be.

This morning, off-shore King Island, off the coast of Vic., had an M2.9 - I knew I wasn't imaging this movement, I just wasn't sure where it came from, subtle as it was.

For now, Duck.

#1253135 - 04/04/2014 13:28 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Chile's quakes reduced a little in size till now. I had a feeling that this region was going to produce another M5+ and just had produced an M6.1 at very shallow depth of 2kms. This may cause some issues (not that they need any more) for the folks there.
They may still go on the experience smaller tremors with the odd moderate quake happening.

The region of the Atlantic, west of Portugal and up towards Iceland have had some tremors.
England, again, but in a different place (slightly more south) to Ollerton Notts has had a small tremor too. This may be showing that some of the energy not only coming in from the Atlantic (I feel maybe from the south) and the Mediterranean. This region or near abouts may experience an M3 at some point in the near future (?). They are sought of caught between the Atlantic Ridge and the Mediterranean.

The regions surrounding/on/near Italy down to Crete (I am feeling particularly here) may experience an M4 (+?) at some point.

On a side note - the Louisiana sinkhole has 'sunk' again, gurgling as it sucks more of the landscape down into its' depths. The size of the latest degeneration of the landscape appears to be approx. in the size range of about an acre, but I am not exactly sure of this size yet. There is an article on The Watchers website today.

That tremor, which I was suspecting may occur in Bass Strait, near King Island, may be the beginning of a couple or another movement near Victoria and possibly near Tasmania.

I keep getting drawn to a few regions around the globe, one being Oklahoma (or nearby states) for maybe an M3+, but not sure atm..
I think too that the west coast of the U.S. may be brewing for an M4(+?)....?

I'll drop back in later to add some more....

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (04/04/2014 13:30)
Edit Reason: spelling again

#1253166 - 04/04/2014 16:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline
Weatherzone Addict

BTW here's a handy snapshot from a system run by the UN and European Commission showing a timeline of all quakes in the area before and after the big one on Wed:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2868/13616695405_e4e9c851e9_o.png

#1253169 - 04/04/2014 16:29 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Ken Kato]
Locke Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Brisbane
Originally Posted By: Ken Kato
Magnitude of this latest shake now revised up to 7.8

I saw one report suggesting that the 8.2 might have been a pre-cursor to an even larger event. I guess with this 7.8 "aftershock" the odds of such an occurrence must lesson.
This post and any other post by Locke is NOT an official forecast & should not be used as such. It's just my opinion & may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, refer to Australian Bureau of Meteorology products.

#1253205 - 04/04/2014 20:36 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Locke]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Ken.

That chart shows curves, which if all of the tremors/quakes are plotted on the chart (obviously the chart was up to date at the time of publishing) in a peak and dip fashion, particularly regarding the size of the quakes.
This shows the the intensities diminishing and then picking up again in what seems to be fairly regular intervals.
If I remember correctly (and I will check this) there is a plate associated with the Pacific Plate and the plate that Sth. America sits on, which sits like a triangular 'wedge', a bit like a puzzle piece, slotting in between the Pacific Plate and the South American one.
The point at which this 'wedge' meets the coast of Sth. America (Chile) is where the quakes have been occurring.
This seems to be the 'point' where whatever pressures are building and releasing there, this may be a point of vulnerability, where it may also be getting 'squeezed' and being sent in and under the Sth. American plate, along with the parts of the Pacific Plate which is also being driven under Sth. America. Just an amateur thought.

Also, it is not just the tsunami and rumbling caused by the EQ's that are a concern. I feel that there may be a couple of volcanoes in/near the region, which have been quite passive - may be driven into more active behaviours. I could be wrong and hope and probably am.

The west coast of America (near L.A. and California generally), Oklahoma and the Mediterranean, as I mentioned in my last post today, did come up with tremors/EQ's almost immediately after/during my typing of that post. Those locations were 'eating' at me in that moment.

And Locke, a report similar or the same as the one you may have been referring to maybe this one - Massive Chile Earthquake May Not Be the "Big One" - National Geographic dated April 2nd 2014.

I also caught a glimpse of this scientist stating what is in the above article, as I heard a couple of seconds of what he said on the TV briefly last night.

As I said in another past post too, the idea that maybe there could be another larger quake is not something that can be guaranteed. Let's just hope it doesn't happen.

To see so many buoys go off (in event mode) around the rim of the Pacific AND in the Caribbean and the east coast of the United States, gives one some idea of how much power was expelled and the physical energy this/these quakes have produced.

Even our seismo's were slightly buzzing like they were reverberating (in a very small way) with electric shocks, which was in reality probably reverberated movements from Chile. As I said before (a previous post) this/these quake/s were/was a foundation rattler, similar to Japan's M9 in 2011. With the subsequent movements maintaining the reverberations by degrees.

Anyway, for now, Duck.

#1253390 - 06/04/2014 00:37 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Finally back after a long day.

Checking on what has been happening today, I see that Oklahoma has come up with the M4+ and a couple of other tremors I was suspecting may occur.

Western Australia was another region (SW) which has been experiencing another flurry of small tremors (between M2 and M3).
Victoria, as yet hasn't come up with a small tremor I felt it may have. NSW appears to have been quieter today too.

Greece, not far from Crete (where I anticipated a movement of M4+) came up with an M5 - which apparently hasn't been problematic for the region.

Japan and nearby have been active as I felt it would. I get a feeling there will be some more movements there in the next couple of days maybe another M5 (M5+?). Just reading their sensors, there seems to be some constant small jittering going on there - east of Honshu; to the north of the island as well. Some of the energy since the M5+ today seems to have pushed northward towards Kamchatka. The south of Japan may sneakily move too.

The NW region of the Arabian Sea - and near Oman, west of Saudi Arabia and maybe near Karachi and perhaps south of Kuwait - may feel movements yet....I may be wrong.

Chile will not let up with quakes and tremors. It seems to be 'following' that 'rise and dip' in magnitudes as I mentioned earlier. I get a bit of a feeling that we may see (and I hope not for the folks sake) another larger moderate quake there before it may eventually settle.

The South of Africa, off shore - between South Africa and Antarctica, came up with an M5. I was anticipating an M5 near the South Sandwich Islands - which may still come up in the short term.

Iceland has had many tremors in the last 48 hours, which are tending to occur in the SW region of the island there.
There may be a more moderate quake to come for Iceland - maybe an M4...maybe wrong.

Hawaii is still coming up with small tremors and I feel they may go on to feel an M3+.

The Indian Ocean may come up with an M4+ maybe at the southern end, but maybe also or possibly west of Australia (almost halfway between Oz and Madagascar - but closer to Oz).

China may go on to feel another M5'ish.

I feel sorry for the Solomon Islands. They have endured flooding, sea inundation, loss of live and homes. On top of that they have had a sizable quake (M6) which apparently may not have caused extra troubles for them.
In a recent post in mentioned/had a feeling that;
Quote:
Two other 'things' which are sticking with me tonight are the word 'water' (water fall/ing or washing in or on) and the number '4' (also the 4th of April is stuck in my foggy head tonight). May mean absolutely nothing....zilch...zippo.

I was thinking of a Pacific Island when I had this jumble of an 'about' date and water issues for such a region.

There have been so many serious issues for quite a few regions recently.

For now, Duck

Peace and safety to all.

Edited by duckweather (06/04/2014 00:38)

#1253419 - 06/04/2014 09:02 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ms Milo Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Angourie, North Coast NSW
http://www.news.com.au/technology/enviro...0-1226875468454

Thoughts on the busy Volcano in Ecuador Duck? Or just media hype. Impressive pictures nonetheless

Edited by Ms Milo (06/04/2014 09:04)

#1253433 - 06/04/2014 10:06 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Ms Milo]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Hi there Ms Milo.
With all of the activity around the Ring of Fire and major EQ's occurring on so many occasions in recent times, it is not surprising that volcanoes, like the one in Ecuador, are being energized. There are also some volcanoes previously considered silent or 'dormant' which are surprising some with new or unexpected activity. Even if that activity is movement in the rise and fall (by cm's or inches) for some locations regarding the ground surface and for some others, emissions of steam or heat/temperature changes in the ground.
If I am correct with the science here, not only do upwellings occur from deep under the mantle in some locations, the plate behaviours (e.g. subduction zones/behaviours) are another source of providing the impetus for coastal and some just inland volcanoes to relieve some of the pressures caused by subduction behaviours (which can cause the larger earthquakes we sometimes see in various locations - coastal and just inland).
For example, Hawaii's volcanic (and generally related EQ) activity is predominantly driven by deep based upwelling. Japan's volcanic activity appears to be driven mostly by the subducting (and other) that tends to cause many of their EQ's.
Other regions who are/have experiencing heightened volcanic activity are Indonesia (north of Australia and sweeping around and up to the west - towards and including near Banda Aceh. Even Port Blair [island] north of Banda Aceh has had recent volcanic activity).
In noting these regions as examples (above), if you see how many moderate to larger EQ's have occurred in many of these regions - add them to an active volcanic map and a pattern emerges - of a relationship.

As I have mentioned in past posts too, I feel there may be some more 'surprise' locations for once considered dormant/inactive volcanoes to show signs of activity. Particularly not far, near or in locations of larger EQ's. I am also not discounting the possibility of a few locations in the sea-beds here and there, to express some volcanic activity too - maybe in relation or in concert with some EQ activity.

On another note, I went to the Geoscience EQ map to see how Western Australia's tremor cluster was fairing. When I got the map up for "Australia and region - last 7 days" - here - I noticed that where the authorities are searching for the missing Malaysian plane, the search areas have been overlaid with other satellite pics/squares. It was quite a sad reminder of a painstaking mission to find the passengers and crew for their families and friends who are enduring the incredible heart ache of not knowing where they are.

Anyway folks, I'll be back later on.
Duck.

Edited by duckweather (06/04/2014 10:10)
Edit Reason: fix error

#1253711 - 07/04/2014 14:26 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I've been busy, again, and haven't had much time to tune in to the earthquake happenings...except...I felt the tremor emanating from Cape Schanck very early this morning. It felt like a small rumble going through the floor boards.
I said in a previous post that after the occurrence of the near King Island tremor recently, that we may more than likely feel another tremor closer to Melbourne (in my mind it would be in a line from King Island traveling in NE direction, and this has occurred).
I still feel there may be another follow in into or through the south coast of Victoria...but will see if this occurs. I actually think I may have felt another 'rumble' going through the floor about 30 minutes ago.
My ears were ringing like church bells again this morning. It's almost like the feeling I have had before, before the onset of a larger quake near Oz. But I could be wrong here.

I'll try and get back later with a more detailed post.

Cheers for now, Duck.

Page 65 of 131 < 1 2 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 130 131 >

Who's Online
11 registered (Perfect Storm, Petros, kizz, Steve777, Sidney, dknever, snowbooby, Brett Guy, zobubble, 2 invisible), 260 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
ronaldo7, Storm within
Forum Stats
29444 Members
32 Forums
23760 Topics
1472231 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image