NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 79 of 154 < 1 2 ... 77 78 79 80 81 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1279371 - 09/10/2014 20:45 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi again for today.

Just as I felt may happen;
Quote:
The western side of the ROF has maintained its momentum of movements and may continue to do so in the next couple of days. An M6 may come up in the Pacific west, Pacific SE and perhaps the Pacific NE.

There was the M6.2 in the Gulf of California ENE of the centre point of the Pacific Ocean (that's the point I use as the centre and from there the compass points fan out - in my mind) - I felt an M6 may have came up NE of this point.

The M7.2 (with aftershocks) occurred in the SE of the Pacific as I felt it would. I actually felt it was going to be in the Easter Island region (I didn't say that in my post) and wasn't too far off.

I still feel we may see one come up in the NW somewhere, but the movement in the SE of the Pacific today may influence a movement NE and SE possibly of Easter Island...? Maybe some of the energies from the M7 could translate east to Chile as well.

I had a gut feeling that there was some substantial energy in these general regions, which was going to 'give' and produce larger quakes. Before the larger quake in the SE Pacific occurred I felt an uneasiness about this region - then I felt a funny sort of sensation as the vibrations came through and went to check the seismo's to see that the large quake had occurred as I suspected it would and it effectively rattled the eastern half of Australia (registering on the seismo's.

By the way, a 0.45 metre tsunami was recorded on Easter Island after the SE Pacific M7.2 today.

In the fleeting chances I had to pop onto the computer today, I watched Yellowstone's geysers become quite active simultaneously on several occasions, with tremors being recorded there as well.

For now, Duck.

#1279407 - 10/10/2014 11:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
hi duck , we back from nz , bit of action whilst over there. They had an M5+ not that far down the road on the nth island , was shallow too i recall. We were not close enough to feel that one. And a littly M2.8 at Twizel on sth island right when we were there , was actually putting fuel in car at time , hardly noticeable. I actually thought geez was that a shimmy? then saw report later on that it indeed was.Love that country. sad part is Christchurch is quite depressing to visit. CBD still pretty much a ghost town. So many empty sites where buildings stood , and also quite a number still sitting damaged and condemned, sad to see. We also took a drive out to New Brighton to see an area that was ruined by the liquifaction and it is remarkable to see how a number of streets still sit in total ruin , the odd house shell remains sitting in vast areas that were basically swallowed up. A real eye opener for the kids.

#1279410 - 10/10/2014 11:52 Re: Earthquakes [Re: BIG T]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi BIG T.

New Zealand is a beautiful place and it must have been sad to see the the still messy sites you did.
A friend of mine who lived in Christchurch has moved to another area of NZ, as her house was unlivable after the big quake. She had a lovely house, but most importantly it was her home, her sanctuary and the place where she, her husband and children grew up from/with.
It is a humbling (quieting) site to see these ruins and is a reminder of how lucky we are in Australia generally not have to deal with such devastation usually (not forgetting Newcastle/NSW and some of the larger quakes from the 'olden days).
The 'personality' and homeliness of a town can be ruined by quakes like Christchurch's and it can take a long time for people and communities to recover from such.
I hope the towns affected by what you saw can rebuild soon and Christchurch, for example, can return to the beautiful city it used to be.
Earthquakes can remove so much spirit from communities and their towns.

Cheers, Duck.

#1279412 - 10/10/2014 12:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

Just felt a vibration come through here and there is a blip on a Vic seismo which corresponds with it - here.

There were some vast areas of "snakes in the sky" clouds around here this morning - either a 'weather' phenomenon or maybe a hint at a possible tremor...???

For now, Duck.

#1279549 - 11/10/2014 17:09 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

The M6+ in Japan was the other M6 (out of the three) I was anticipating for the Pacific.
There has been an after movement of M5+, which is till a decent movement and they may go on to feel a few more after movements.

The western side of the ROF is still active.

The western U.S. coastal regions are also still active, along with the regions surrounding Oklahoma.
An M4'ish may come up on the west coast.

For now, Duck.

#1280015 - 13/10/2014 21:47 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

The western side of the U.S. came up with an M4'ish I was anticipating. Mammoth Lakes began a 'new round' of tremors with multiple continual rattles again and is still moving with tremors fluctuating in size.

The M7 in the SE Pacific was followed on globally by EQ's in the oceans as well as onland, which I 'usually' anticipate may occur after a large quake.

The moderate quakes in the Southern Pacific, Southern Indian and Southern Atlantic all occurred near/on the Tropic of Capricorn (just for interest's sake).

The Atlantic has been misbehaving as I felt it would with several moderate quakes dotted along the Mid-Atlantic Ridge (including where the Ridge 'cuts' through Iceland).

Southern NZ finally came up with an M6+ I was anticipating a short while ago (sorry folks in that region - I don't mean to be flippant with my thoughts on that one). The buoys in that southern region, in the Tasman Sea, ESE of Tasmania and just off the coast of southern NZ, have been showing 'jitters' for some time now on and off. I suspected that there may (in my mind) be some plate activity going on there.

The Pacific (generally speaking) and the countries surrounding such seem to be the most active still atm. I feel that the large quake in the SE of the Pacific has 'kicked-off' quakes in the Pacific Islands (e.g. Fiji, etc.) and has influenced the movements NE, East and SE of Easter island. This includes Central America and the west coastal and just inland regions of America. Though a general agitation on the Pacific was what I expected would occur.

In the 'mix' in the Pacific movements is Hawaii, which has come up with an M4, amongst other smaller tremors. I had a feeling it wouldn't be long after the recent M7 and the movement on the west of America, that Hawaii may come up with something larger than their average recent M2'ish movements.

Combine much of the EQ activity with the volcanic activity and I would say that much of these two types of activity may be 'married' by varying degrees. You get harmonic tremors (and EQ's) (Yellowstone, Iceland, Mammoth Lakes [?], Indonesia etc...) from volcanic activity and tremors/eq's from plate movements. Regarding the tremors annoying the heck out of the folks in Oklahoma and surrounds - many folks seem to feel it may be due to mining ops or the New Madrid or a combination of the two....

Somebody asked me the other day what I felt was my most obscure thought about some of the sinkholes opening up around the world (apart from reasons already mentioned in the media - various sources)....and what could also be causing some of them. Well (and don't quote me on this)...I said that I felt that there may be some fault lines separating in spots, where the ground may have split open to some degree - caving in some earth around such. There is one of these occurring (not your 'typical' circular hole like Guatemala) in the English countryside.
I just feel that the Earth has been rattled enough in some areas that some fault lines (known or unkown/previously) may be niggling their way to the surface in some spots....I could be wrong folks....pinch-of-salt required with my thoughts here wink

Anyway there are active areas which have produced quakes I haven't nattered on about yet - e.g. NE Indian Ocean, Russia etc..I've been too focused (feelings) on the Pacific lately...

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (13/10/2014 21:52)
Edit Reason: ermergerd..spelling again

#1280160 - 14/10/2014 15:36 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

There's just been a major quake with epicentre off El Salvador at 2:51pm AEDT with magnitude of 7.4 and depth of 70.5km.

Unknown yet whether a tsunami was generated. Here's the output from the JRC's tsunami model based on the closest precalculated scenario (the more refined output is still running as obs start coming in):

#1280420 - 14/10/2014 22:54 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Ken Kato]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Ken and all.

The Nicaraguan quake was within the region in Central America which I had eluded to as being one which the energy from the SE Pacific M7 may radiate to.
This (Nicaraguan) quake was a bit of a doozie and sadly one person died by a falling light post. Considering the size and relatively shallow depth of the quake, and even though it was off-shore, it still had the potential to cause more fatalities and thank goodness it didn't.

Immediately after the latest M7+, the northern end of NZ (Kermadecs) responded with an M6.5 (Geonet). Following on too was Oklahoma with 3 tremors.
The Nicaraguan quake rattled Central America and was widely felt.

Hawaii is still feeling tremors after their M4 and I feel that the western coast of the U.S. may come up with an M4+ (??). Similarly, the energy from Nicaragua may transfer over to the Caribbean region (??).
There may also be some energy driven further north along and up the coast of Central America.

As I said in a previous post, even though there have been other quakes and tremors coming up in other regions of the world, my attention (feelings) have been unwaveringly focused on the Pacific region in the last few days (perhaps longer). Though the Pacific is a huge region, I had a gut feeling that there was some tremendous energy building and "going to give" as I said a few posts ago.
It wouldn't surprise me if we see another M6+ in the Pacific in an opposite location (NW or WSW) from the latest M7+...could be wrong...

Australia has had some more tremors, with the NSW tremors tracking SSW again like it did recently (heading towards Vic border).
Tennant Creek in the NT is not really a surprise as this and a couple of other locations in the NT can be an have been known to feel movements.
The two tremors off the Western Australian coast, I feel, are possibly reactions to movements in the Indian Ocean. The Indian Ocean is showing jitters in some spots and pressures may be stealthily fanning out to some uncommon locations...??
I have a vague feeling that we may see a quake come up way SW of lower Western Oz in the Indian Ocean.

NZ's main fault line (running north to sw/sw to north) is playing up. A quake has also come up in the Cook Strait (M4+) today. I feel a main player of the energy for the northern NZ quakes today has been energy from the south (off lowest points of southern NZ).

The Mediterranean may come up with an M5 - Greece? Western Turkey? or Southern Italy??

The North Pole may come up with a smaller quake...vague feeling.

For now, Duck.

#1280555 - 15/10/2014 09:43 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Good morning folks.

Very early this morning, at about 1.50am, I was awoken (I am a light sleeper) by two consecutive east to west bumps which felt like a ground shift.
The bumps were similar to the east to west shift I felt when the Bayswater, Lilydale and Ferntree Gully tremors occurred some time ago.
My bedhead tapped the wall behind it and the eastern side of the house felt a small thump (a sound).
These two movements spaced 3 seconds apart were very small, but I felt the shift as I lay in my bed.
I wonder if anyone else was awake enough to have felt this too and if it was isolated to the eastern suburbs (extension of the Selwyn Fault) or if the eastern side of Oz felt it (then I would go out on a limb and feel it may have come from the eastern side of the Oz Plate where it meets New Zealand?)

It was a definite ground movement. albiet small. Will see if anything comes up on Geoscience, but if it was too small as a local tremor to be registered by Geo then we won't see anything come up on their maps of course.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (15/10/2014 09:44)

#1280688 - 15/10/2014 22:31 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again for today folks.

I haven't seen any info come up on the ground jolts I felt this morning. I reckon they may have been just a small jitter which may go on to produce a tremor for this region or it was just a tiny hiccup for a local fault line which may not go on to produce anything more.....

I found some interesting articles on Oklahoma. The dates vary over the last weeks, but still very interesting. I feel for the folks there as having persistent tremors happening every day (some daily tremors are adding up to about 14 in number) must be driving them nuts.
‘We can’t get it right,’ Oklahoma legisl...-TV & K. Querry
U.S. Geological Survey sends seismic ins...tober 14, 2014 (Also have a look at the other articles at the bottom of this page)

Japan is niggling away as I felt it would. They may (or may not) go on to feel an M6 (+?)

Western Montana's M3.4 4 hours ago was a curious one. This may have just been fault line movement, but I am going to say loosely that this may be at 'volcanic' depth/related and I could be way out wrong here........
This may push energies further towards the west of this region.

My internet is behaving very badly atm...so going off to 'fix' it....hope this post loads....

For now, Duck.

#1280698 - 16/10/2014 06:44 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Good morning folks.

In a previous post I mentioned;
Quote:
The North Pole may come up with a smaller quake...vague feeling.

An M4.5 at 10kms deep has occurred east of Severnaya Zemlya in the Arctic Ocean in the Northern polar region. This has happened along the plate edge. This plate runs down through Siberia (Russia) and down to Japan. Though, I am not saying it has a direct relation to Japan's tremors, the distance between these 2 points is massive and Japan's quakes are currently occurring east of this plate edge.

The Iran/Iraq border region has had an M5.8 and is experiencing aftershocks.

Iceland has had an M5.4 (8 hours ago) along the plate edge (also associated with current other activity).

The general region of the Mediterranean and over to the Middle East is starting to come up with sporadic M4+'s, as well as a fairly consistent run of smaller tremors.
Either side (but particularly to the east and SE) of the Arabian Peninsula is becoming a little active again too.
Over to Portugal/Spain and neighboring regions, there is some new movement as well.

The Chile coast has been rather active, somewhat more so, since the M7+ near Easter Island (which has had another after movement).

For now, Duck.

#1280768 - 16/10/2014 21:25 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Greymouth - West Coast, NZ..
A bit late but then again I haven't browsed these forums for a long time.. so..

Christchurch is still quivering & shaking, all this time after those 2 big bangs. The beginning of the month I was over there in hospital for a few days with a badly broken leg, just before 5am Oct. 1st I was woken by some serious rocking & rolling, exaggerated by the fact I was on the third floor but being doped up on painkillers as I was, it was a decent shake to rouse me. Ended up buzzing the nurse to ask her if we had a shake or I was dreaming things.. later found out it was a magnitude 4 out near Oxford.. which would put it in or around the Greendale fault which ruptured on Sept. 4th, the first of the devestating quakes.

Yes, it is heartbreaking to see Christchurch today, a lot of old places I used to frequent & grew up in simply do not exist anymore, but they are a hardy bunch.

I now live on the West Coast of the South Island.. right alongside the Alpine Fault.. if this baby goes, everyones going to know about it! It's something we just live with over this side of the Southern Alps, will worry about it if/when it happens.
In saying, it's been rather quiet over here seismically wise.. touch wood! smile

#1280787 - 17/10/2014 10:15 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Dale Small]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Dale and all.

Yeh Dale, the fault line running through NZ (both islands) is quite active at the moment. With points along the whole thing coming up with quakes and tremors. The Pacific Plate way to the east of NZ (Easter Island region) seems to have been the agitator (or one of the contributors) to much of the activity in the Pacific at the moment.
I feel there is also energy being driven up from the Antarctic regions in the plates, which may have been in addition to energy being 'tossed' around the rest of the Pacific.

By the way Dale, having a badly broken leg and feeling the rolling and trembling of a quake must have been a bit sickening for you. Maybe being sozzled a little on pain killers did you a bit of a favour, as far as feeling worse for the EQ movements....ouch. Hope your leg is better now.
When the ambo's were taking me to hospital in January this year after having a major disagreement with a slippery floor (busting myself up a bit), the ambulance hit a pothole and I thanked goodness that I was doped up grin

Re: beautiful Christchurch, when you grow up with and have fond memories of a place/s and they are then destroyed by quakes, fire etc., it takes a part of you with it - I can relate to that. As you say, the Nz'ers are a hardy bunch. I have friends on both islands and they have not only put up with alot with the quakes there, but many are staying 'put' in the places they love.

Quote:
I now live on the West Coast of the South Island.. right alongside the Alpine Fault.. if this baby goes, everyones going to know about it! It's something we just live with over this side of the Southern Alps, will worry about it if/when it happens.
In saying, it's been rather quiet over here seismically wise.. touch wood! smile

It's not too far to come over to Oz (NZ's brother/sister country) if 'it' hit the fan there, but I don't think that'll happen - the fault can be temperamental and give a few good shakes and rattles (and sometimes cause some solid issues), but I feel there may be some of the damaging larger quake issues to come for other countries (which, of course, I don't wish for).

For now, Duck.

#1280815 - 17/10/2014 16:56 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: duckweather
By the way Dale, having a badly broken leg and feeling the rolling and trembling of a quake must have been a bit sickening for you. Maybe being sozzled a little on pain killers did you a bit of a favour

I didn't really notice anything different.. after the "Big Bang" on February 11th, anything under about magnitude 4 - 4.5 I barely recognize.
Living in Australia all my life up until 2007 the only other time I had experienced a decent shaking was back in 1987.. ironically again, in Christchurch. I know Aussie is close by but here is home, quakes and all smile

#1280831 - 17/10/2014 19:42 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Dale Small]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

We just had the tremor I was waiting for. An M3.2 pegged in Moe.
I was standing in the driveway, when my daughter's partner rocked up in his V8 and I thought it was a quake and not just the rumble of his ute...

I had a strong feeling today that this tremor was brewing, combining this with what I felt a couple of posts ago (2 x ground jolts) I felt it was on the cards around now.

For now, Duck.

#1280872 - 18/10/2014 06:46 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I need to make a correction.. the big bang in Christchurch was on the 22nd not the 11th as posted above, my mistake & the time to edit was well & truly up before I realised the error. No matter what date it was, it is something I really don't wish to experience again anytime soon..

#1281049 - 20/10/2014 10:53 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Dale Small]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

No probs Dale. I sometimes get caught with timing out on editing too smile

The Atlantic Ridge (the whole length of - generally speaking) is playing up as I had anticipated. The movements have even stretched up into the Greenland Sea in recent days. Around the Azores Islands regions have been affected too.

The northern polar regions have had some quakes pop up here and there, again as I anticipated some energies would lurk in these regions.

The Mediterranean region, from Italy - all the way over to and including Turkey, had a flurry of M4's (+'s) as seems to be quite typical for this region. On either 'side' of their larger tremors seems to be a build up with M2's, M3's - a build up of sorts to the more substantial movements then a petering back to M3's and 2's.

The NE side of the Arabian Peninsula rattled with a few tremors as I felt it would too.

The NE of the Indian Ocean has been quite active with M4' and M5's, noting that smaller tremors are not generally occurring there.

The west of the Pacific Ocean (including NZ) seems to be consistently active at the moment.

A few posts ago, I mentioned that the energy from the Easter Island M7 would trend towards and into Central America, The west coast of South America and especially niggle into the Caribbean islands - which it has.

The U.S. west coast finally came up with the M4+ I was anticipating may occur (SW of Eureka).

New Zealand's main fault line is still somewhat agitating as another M5 has come up on the South Island (SW) onland.

I think Melbourne SE is still feeling some very small after tremors since the Moe M3.2.
South Australia is also feeling the odd M2/3.
WA's tremor 'run' has quietened a little, but is still coming up with the odd M2+. We may see another tremor come up off-shore of the Oz coastline involving the Indian Ocean. There may be an outside chance a tremor/quake may come up somewhere south of our continent. I keep getting drawn to the SW or south of Tasmania - may mean nothing.

For now, Duck.

#1281097 - 20/10/2014 19:21 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

This morning around 10am our time we had a small shake right up the top of the Alpine Fault.. that combined with the Te Anau rattle & the big one off the Southern end a few days back.. well it's not a cause for concern for me personally. A shallow (5km) 3.3 - didn't feel a thing smile

#1281243 - 21/10/2014 20:59 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Dale Small]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Ah Dale...as you said - the NZ'ers are a tough lot. wink

Here in Oz, NSW, Vic, SA and WA are feeling a renewed series of tremors, especially SA, Vic and NSW. Mostly coming up in some regular spots.
If we look at the Moe tremor on the 17th of this month, and consider that a couple of years ago the M4'ish was a precursor to the follow on M5.3, and if there may be some sort of pattern - Vic may go on to feel a tremor larger than M3.2. But having said that, there is also a possibility that Moe's recent M3.2 was the 'main event' for this round. But I do find it interesting that Woodend (Vic) has also had a tremor 2 days after Moe's M3.2.
My gut feeling is that if Woodend and Moe have both had tremors 2 days apart (and their locations are NW and SE of Melbourne respectively), that there is some energy stealthily lurking in Victoria - which may resurface as another tremor somewhere. Don't quote me on this, but the good old "B" and "C" letters (beginning of town names) are sticking with me again at the moment. Though this may mean nothing...

I also get a vague feeling that Queensland may come up with a tremor either near the Weldford National Park (very roughly about 1000kms WSW of Rockhampton or nearer to the Queensland coast....??? Or about 700kms west of Mackay. Again, I could be wrong.

I mentioned in a previous post that I felt that there may be an EQ south of Tasmania or SW of same. An M5 came up in the Balleny Islands way SE of Tassie and south of NZ. This quake occurred on the follow on length of the plate which extends past the South island of New Zealand - towards Antarctica.

Oklahoma and its surrounding neighbours are currently receiving a heightened number of tremors.

The Atlantic is still rattling along with EQ's along it's major Ridge line. Quakes are still occurring up and into the Arctic region (northern polar region) as I felt they would.

The British Isles (including Scotland) may come up with a couple of small tremors in the near future.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (21/10/2014 21:02)

#1281399 - 22/10/2014 20:08 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Have noticed a couple of reasonable tremors toward the bottom of the South Island lately, but as I have been talking about the sleeping giant the past couple of days, she stirred a bit around 5pm this afternoon (NZ Time).. a shallow 5km deep magnitude 4.3 - enough to warrant a "strong" rating on the GeoNet website & enough to rattle Hokitika, about 30-40km South of me. Nothing felt up here however.. but the approximate location of the tremor has caused shaking in the past up here in Greymouth.

Page 79 of 154 < 1 2 ... 77 78 79 80 81 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
chejian, Dusty Dervish, pogonantha, scott12
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image