Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1125083 - 05/09/2012 22:08 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
ant Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Overlooking ACT at 848m
I'm gradually edging the couch in. Had to be a bit sneaky about it, sowing it quietly and didn't point it out until it was growing strongly and it was too late. Not game to put it on a lawn yet, but the day will come, and that winter oversowing trick will help. I will experiment with that next winter, see how it looks.

I have read some great things about Zoysia but its supply is limited. I guess being a hybrid explains it.

Luckily the roos seem to quite like paspalum (bad paspalum dilatum stuff).

#1125486 - 07/09/2012 19:20 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wangaratta
Spot spray it with round up mate!

#1125502 - 07/09/2012 20:16 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
Tom1234 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Port Stephens
I agree that winter grass is horrible stuff. I too am a massive fan of couch and the hardiness of the grass to handle the Australian climate. I think the massive bonus comes from having no growth in winter, i wouldn't even over sow unless you have bare patches. Heaps of courses use Santa Anna for this exact reason, its just annoying that you cant grow it from seeds frown I absolutely hate laying turf lol

Winter grass requires to much maintenance is summer which isn't ideal in Canberra where its fairly hot and dry.

#1125512 - 07/09/2012 21:01 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Tom1234]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Forget seed.... grow from sprigs, cuttings... There are hundreds of hybrid varieties available... throw them out like seed on the soil and keep moist and feed and within 6-8 weeks youll have full cover.. time to start thinking about it..

#1125549 - 07/09/2012 23:30 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
ant Offline

Originally Posted By: Simmosturf
Spot spray it with round up mate!

I was amazed at the proliferation last season. i'm not kidding about that Brunnings tough grass seed mix... I threw a lot of that around, and suddenly, there's paspalum, tons of it. I'm sticking with Bellchambers dryland mix (and couch! I have a secret bag of it hidden) from now on. Bellchambers are great, a local family business, run out of a ramshackle shed with chooks buzzing about (and pigeons, recently). And Tumut Brooms.

I'll be out with the roundup, going after Serrated Tussock. Awful stuff. And I've discovered some African LoveGrass, probably brought in by the family from Canberra. So Roundup for that. And the paspalum. Definitely.

#1125550 - 07/09/2012 23:38 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
ant Offline

Originally Posted By: Simmosturf
Forget seed.... grow from sprigs, cuttings... There are hundreds of hybrid varieties available... throw them out like seed on the soil and keep moist and feed and within 6-8 weeks youll have full cover.. time to start thinking about it..

Couch? Or Zoysia? I actually did steal some pull-ups of couch from home a few years back... not sure any of them took, but they were put in paddock, not in watered areas. The seed is working, slowly. All on non-watered areas, it's populating rocky slopes, some of my dreadful driveway... this spring should show how far it's got, I did a lot of seed-casting last season.

Yeah, time to start thinking about it... I've been thinking about it for a while actually! I'd love to get my hands on some Buffalo or Zoysia. I'll go investigate that. Softer, shorter leaves.

#1125582 - 08/09/2012 09:44 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Buffalo is prickly... some of the newer hybrids aren't as bad such as palmetto or Sr walter.. The ST varieties are just crap and turf farms are moving away from it..Buffalo's are vulnerable to a lot of herbicides and those you can use are picky on the weeds... Empire is fantastic... I installed heaps of lawns down here in Wang where we have regular -5 frosts and it toughs it out beautifully... Very soft and you can cut it at 12mm or leave at 50mm...You can cover spray with weak round up mix in winter while dormant so no weeds issues.. http://www.empireturf.com.au/ Turf farms have all but given up on the cool seasons varieties such as tall fescue, kentucky blue and bent grass, with only a handful still persisting with it such as HG turf.... To thirsty and not long lasting... It gets taken over by common couch and kikuyu... and the grubs love it....

Edited by Simmosturf (08/09/2012 09:45)
Edit Reason: additions

#1125773 - 09/09/2012 20:25 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
ant Offline

That zoysia is really pretty, it doesn't seem to look like runner-grass at all. I remember reading about it a few years back and being impressed. I wish it came by seed as well as turf!

Don't have problems with weeds in my lawns, for some reason (brother is convinced clover is a weed but I don't mind it). Maybe that RTF bashes up the weeds.

You wouldn't approve of Canberra's big turf company! http://www.canturf.com.au/lawn/choose.html#canberrablend
Tall fine fescue, Kentucky Bluegrass, and Sir Walter (and rye, of course, which used to be the big grass here and is responsible for all the sneezing in spring). It's on the river flat across the river from the family farm, it was/is a dairy farm, and I guess they found growing turf used up the cow poo and was more profitable.

#1125783 - 09/09/2012 20:43 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Bundy and Gladstone
I love the buffalo grass we have and encourage it. Trying to get it to sprout more round the place. Handles the droughts pretty well and the horses munching on it. Grows into bit mats of it and helps stop the erosion.

I wish it came in seed though.

#1126142 - 11/09/2012 22:18 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: bundybear]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

It does come in seed mate... Geez they know how to charge!!! thats a rip off!!! no wonder your keen on seeding..... I was buying turf out of sydney and transporting it to Wangaratta and getting it here for $4.50 pm. That was couch and kykuyu. Empire was dearer, about $6.50... Didnt recommend buffalo but it was about the same..

Edited by Simmosturf (11/09/2012 22:23)

#1126202 - 12/09/2012 11:21 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
ant Offline

comes in seed? Oh, that's the Buffalo, not the Zoysia? Got all hopeful there for a minute!

#1126641 - 14/09/2012 12:27 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yes clover is a weed.... its taking valuable nutrients,water, sunlight, and room away from your desirables mate..

#1126671 - 14/09/2012 14:18 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
ant Offline

My brother loathes clover, but it's in my grass mix and he's accepted the inevitable (he thinks he is the boss of all lawns). It seems to have germinated faster than the blade grass too, there was lots of it after a week, but now it's been two weeks and the blades are coming up everywhere. Time to get the hessian and shadecloth off tomorrow.

#1126714 - 14/09/2012 20:05 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Buy a couple of sheep to feed them on!!! Im all about quality, easy to care for drought tolerant turf grasses... Paddocks are simply that and dont deserve to be called lawns in the true sence of the word!!! I mow my turfed areas with a 24" cylinder mower once per week in the growing season... I normally allow them to be dormant in winter but this year oversowed for colour using bent and fine fescue and turf type rye... re-use clippings as fert... use chemical and biological fert also, maintain soil balance, and really enjoy the limited work I do on them.... In my business i find so many would be's, should be's, & never will be's its not funny... Back to basics and forget which doesn't do well here... Easy really..

#1128803 - 25/09/2012 21:56 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
ant Offline

Grass clippings are useful for establishing grass in non-irrigated areas. I did that for the past few seasons, scattered thin layers of grass clippings from my RTF lawns on bare yellow hard earth, and sometimes put a bit of seed on, and even sloped areas now have a beaut covering of green. Really pleased about it. It was a bit of work, but incredibly effective. Can't argue with success, they stayed green all winter, and only rain to water them.

I've seen those cylinder mowers used at golf courses and the Queanbeyan bowlo uses theirs a lot. I just have a standard mower and use my old rasp file (for my ski edges) to sharpen the blades.

Getting hold of decent grass seed is quite tricky here. Bunnings sells all the usual kentucky, CanTurf and runner grasses by seed. Bellchambers have the most useful range and I might investigate their rye offerings next but that's where we got the RTF from originally. the couch goes all white and crackly over winter, it's still like that actually, with other grass pushing up from underneath.

I don't need sheep, I've got ROOS! Although when the pickings get good (and they evidently are), they ease off on the lawns a bit. I don't mind mowing, I need those grass clippings.

New grass is taking a while to get going, despite the pop-ups coming on every 2nd day. Must be the cold nights. I elevated teh bird netting on sunday, using sticks, so it's like a netting tent now. To foil the greedy parrots. It's germinating, but very slowly.

#1159353 - 17/01/2013 16:12 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
ethanhh george Offline
Cloud Gazer

Hi Friend

The dreaded lawn grubs can removed by Nematodes . They are the worst enemy of lawn grubs,white grubs,borers,beetle grubs,root weevils.It is safe and simple to use. I used it in my lawn and my problem is solved.

#1159739 - 18/01/2013 12:59 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ethanhh george]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

yes they work a treat.. how much you pay for them?

#1159768 - 18/01/2013 13:46 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
ant Offline

Where do you get Nematodes? I thought they were a terrible thing that wrecks your tomato roots... will they stay in a lawn and not go foraging?

I've got next week off before going skiing, and the lawn grub stuff will be going into the lawns. The re-growing is sporadic, I've done a second seed sowing, and useing sugarcane hay now to put over it as the roos and rabbits are seeing to it that there is nothing to mow.

#1162164 - 22/01/2013 12:41 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Get some Lorsban Ant.. One spray will wipe them out..

#1163175 - 23/01/2013 12:41 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
ant Offline

I used a whole container of the grub stuff, it was a bit coy about dilution rates for lawns, so I used the lot in a series of watering can applications. The lawn irrigation was due to come on an hour after I did it... and then I put on the remaining powder stuff I got from Big W last year for good measure (smells awful).

Let's see (got containers off pile they were in), the liquid was Imidacloprid, and the granules was chlorpyrifos.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
8 registered (Snowy Hibbo, Knot, Surly Bond, CaptainAhab, Donzah, Sidney, 2 invisible), 271 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Forum Stats
29277 Members
32 Forums
23614 Topics
1452265 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image