Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1123324 - 28/08/2012 09:36 The dreaded lawn grubs
ant Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Overlooking ACT at 848m
I've lost my largest lawn and half the next one to lawn grubs, aka curl grubs. They were planted up with rizomatous tall fescue, which is what the local ag supplier sells as a good rural lawn grass, and had popup sprinklers running off the bore.

There were some dead patches opening up and I attributed that to various things, top-dressed it and sowed some Dryland Mix. Didn't make the connection when the local magpies began holding morning parties on the lawn, putting their beaks in. When I started seeing large dug-up areas it looked like feral pigs had moved in! Puzzle was solved when the local fox was sprung with his face stuffed into the lawn, furiously gobbling witchety grubs. Excavation revealed the entire lawn was riddled with white grubs of various sizes.

So, we've ploughed it all up, and then used the rotary hoe on the Kubota at high revs to grind up the dirt and grass, which worked rather well. It's settling now, ready for a few kilos of dryland mix (rizomatous tall fescue, Chewings Fescue, Perennial Rye and clover). When these hard night frosts ease off, the seed is going on (there's a good covering of Number 17 already on).

I also have some liquid confidor which the ag people reckoned goes on about Xmas/early January.

I figure the unusually wet season was to blame... got to blame something. I'm hoping this new dryland mix will need less water, as I've got it going well in new landscaped areas that don't get anything except rain. The rye grass seems to be moderately winter-active, so it stays green which is also nice.

Anyone having similar battles with those rotten grubs?

#1123325 - 28/08/2012 09:41 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Bundy and Gladstone
I use cheap washing powder. Sprinkle it on the lawn, water well.

Non toxic to the birdlife as well.

#1123360 - 28/08/2012 12:46 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: bundybear]
ant Offline

Ah! I hadn't heard that one. How often do you do it, Xmas when the grubs are very small, or at intervals through the year?

#1123362 - 28/08/2012 12:56 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I do it when I notice my grass dying off in patches.

I find out if I have grubs by laying a door mat or such on the grass where I suspect they are. The rotters come up under the mat and you can find them easily to verify it is them.

Or toss a bucket of soapy water where you think they are. They come to the surface quickly and you can see them so know you need to get rid of them. The magpies and such are quick to polish them off when they come up.

#1123418 - 28/08/2012 16:11 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: bundybear]
Tom1234 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Port Stephens
I have had trouble with army grubs, but usually hit in mid Autumn. Sounds like you are having trouble with black beetle and curl grubs. I just hit the lawn a few times with an insecticide when i notice abnormally slow growth in patches.

#1123466 - 28/08/2012 19:59 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Tom1234]
ant Offline

I've read accounts of that door mat trick on the official sites, they use an old wet sack. It's good to hear from people what really works though. And all those sites are so coy about WHEN you can set about murdering them!

Large areas of lawn were badly infested, but with no die-off. The RTF had formed a thick mat, and seemed to be sustaining itself. Until the fox started digging it up. The die-off bits I'd re-sown were looking great. If it wasn't for the fox, I'd still have a lawn.

#1123561 - 29/08/2012 13:05 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
Adam Ant Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: West Toowoomba
The dreaded scarab beetle...they are tricky to get rid of in large areas. The eggs would have been laid last spring and the small larvae would have been slowly growing. Its not until they get to their 3rd instar that you start to notice the damage, at this stage they are particularly voracious feeders. They will keep feeding till this summer and then emerge as beetles in spring 2013. Quite a long lifecycle.

I know everyone likes to be chemical free but sometimes naturals options just dont cut it. I would incorporate some granular insectide before you plant your new grass, that is the best way to treat them. Spraying them from the surface doesnt get as good of a kill.

#1123566 - 29/08/2012 13:34 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Adam Ant]
ant Offline

Oh, that is interesting. I have some granular insect-killer I was going to use on the grubs, starts with a C but have a mental block about the name (not Confidor). But the ag people said Confidor was the one to use on grubs so I got some of that.

I might add the granular stuff to the soil, we're doing final levelling this weekend before sowing and netting. The grubs we found during the last lot of soil grinding were small to medium size, none were at the giant fat stage yet.

#1123693 - 30/08/2012 08:18 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
Tom1234 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Chlorpyrifos ?

I use it in a granular form on my lawn, gets a real good kill.

#1123704 - 30/08/2012 09:01 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Tom1234]
Adam Ant Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: West Toowoomba
Yes good old granular chlorpyrifos. Its not the nicest of chemicals but it does the best job. I think richgrow sell a home garden line of it. You can also buy a granular bifenthrin which would work well. Sounds like you got the grubs at a ideal time, once they get to the final instar they are very hard to kill

#1123731 - 30/08/2012 11:21 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Adam Ant]
ant Offline

Argh, so annoying, I think of the name and then it goes again. My mother's an applegrower and has a nice variety of nasty chemicals and this is her favourite. There's a C, and a y in there, but it's not chlorpyrifos.

The ag people said the same thing, when the grubs are fat, they have a big layer of fat that is hard to get through. Well, their doom is upon them either way.

#1123732 - 30/08/2012 11:23 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
ant Offline

Ah ha! Carbaryl! That's the one.

#1123803 - 30/08/2012 16:04 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Adam Ant]
Tom1234 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Adam Ant
Yes good old granular chlorpyrifos. Its not the nicest of chemicals but it does the best job. I think richgrow sell a home garden line of it. You can also buy a granular bifenthrin which would work well. Sounds like you got the grubs at a ideal time, once they get to the final instar they are very hard to kill

Yeah not something you want to be breathing in. If i was rich i'd use Dupont Acelepryn smile

#1124010 - 31/08/2012 10:39 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Tom1234]
ant Offline

Hmm. I might put a mask on when sprinkling the Carbaryl on the ground, hopefully it's not windy on Sunday when we level the dirt and put the seed on. Brother has a laser level he's having fun with...

this is a chance to remedy some of the small errors made when this lawn was first done. There was a sunken bit in the middle that won't be there this time around.

We've incorporated a few loads (tons) of mushroom compost, as the original dirt was very sandy and didn't hold water as well as it could-have. I also put through a few large bucketsful of wood ash from the fire to even up the acidity a bit. All of this got ground through when the rotary hoe did its high-revs runs.

I've been watching the popups to see if there's areas missing out, and coverage seems to be good. The bit that was most affected by the grubs, where die-off happened about a year ago, is the spot that gets the most water as it turns out. My brother was convinced the die-off was due to lack of water. Turns out it was the opposite.

Using the Dryland Mix will result in a more frugal lawn, I'm hoping. The RTF is a bit thirsty, and it doesn't like the full hard sun of summer. A mix should give a more consistent result year-round.

#1124938 - 05/09/2012 12:48 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wangaratta
Two things for you ant!! Lorsban (chlorpyrophos)liquid form... Works a treat.... And ditch the cool seasons grasses mate? There rubbish... And RTF is expensive... Warm season grasses are much better as they are self repairing.... Hybrid couch or Empire Zoyzia are the best by a mile.... Over-sow in winter with rye and chewings fescue for winter color. Grubs will have a crack at it but youll never know it... You'll use [censored] loads less water and mowing will be cut by half!!!!

#1124951 - 05/09/2012 13:45 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
ant Offline

Yeah, I think with the mix I'll be using, there'll be good performance year-round. There is RTF in it, but also Chewings, perennial Rye, and some clover (brother hates clover).

I got some Bermuda Couch from this ag place last season and have been using in on non-lawn areas, so-far so-good, but the family would explode if I tried it on an irrigated official lawn. They are having a bad time with Water Couch at their place (which has amazing river soil and is moist). I've explained many times that my dry, shaley hill won't let anything go mad and take over except Patto's and St Johns but I think they're traumatised by Couch.

The others liked that bug-killer too, so that will get added to the arsenal.

The Dryland Mix I've put on a bare, unwatered area has stayed green and pretty all winter, so it's definitely a winner for the climate and the soil. I'd love to use less water, I've got to pay to pump that stuff!

#1125013 - 05/09/2012 16:53 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

The water couch you speak of is not actually of the Cynodon family... its actually of the paspallum family. Paspalum distichum... Common name is Knot grass..
Couch craps all over C3 grasses simply because of its easy maintenance. You can cover spray C4 grasses in the middle of winter with roundup in july while they are dormant... No need for expensive broadleaf sprays... Why is it do you think golf courses use them?? They cut much better and are fantastic to use as they handle traffic brilliantly... Dogs only damage it slightly and they self repair... A very easy decision in a turf managers eyes...

#1125065 - 05/09/2012 21:21 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
ant Offline

That is interesting about the couch/paspalum. Hate paspalum. This "couch" is very voracious and invasive, with really long leaves. The orchard is riddled with it. The couch (proper couch) I'm sowing here is more restrained and short-leaved.

That Zoyzia stuff you mentioned Simmo, isn't that quite hard to get? I thought that was limited to turf suppliers. I've heard it's good. Buffalo also seems hard to get here in seed. you see all these products to weed and feed it, but not the seed itself.

Here, you can get seed of couch, and kikuyu. Bit reluctant to go the kikuyu. Also, the couch browns right off in winter. I know it'll come back starting about now, but I wouldn't like the whole lawn behaving like that.

I reckon the mix will do a better job than that RTF. And the couch is doing a great job of the non-irrigated ground. I put some around the dam last season, hoping to see some action there.

#1125068 - 05/09/2012 21:25 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
ant Offline

I'm going to quite enjoy informing my mother, who is a horticulturalist, that her dreaded couch is actually paspalum, so she's been demonizing the wrong grass!

I've got shocking "normal" paspalum this season just gone, and suspect that cheapo Brunnings tough grass seed they sell in boxes in the supermarket. It must have come from somewhere.

#1125079 - 05/09/2012 21:49 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Thats paspalum dilatum , Dallis grass. Empire Zoysia is only available vegatively.. They are hybrids. Get them through Abulk turf in Sydney.. Seashore paspalum is used on putting greens in warm climates. its very fine... As i said mate.. oversow for winter colour..Google search

#1125083 - 05/09/2012 22:08 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
ant Offline

I'm gradually edging the couch in. Had to be a bit sneaky about it, sowing it quietly and didn't point it out until it was growing strongly and it was too late. Not game to put it on a lawn yet, but the day will come, and that winter oversowing trick will help. I will experiment with that next winter, see how it looks.

I have read some great things about Zoysia but its supply is limited. I guess being a hybrid explains it.

Luckily the roos seem to quite like paspalum (bad paspalum dilatum stuff).

#1125486 - 07/09/2012 19:20 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Spot spray it with round up mate!

#1125502 - 07/09/2012 20:16 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
Tom1234 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I agree that winter grass is horrible stuff. I too am a massive fan of couch and the hardiness of the grass to handle the Australian climate. I think the massive bonus comes from having no growth in winter, i wouldn't even over sow unless you have bare patches. Heaps of courses use Santa Anna for this exact reason, its just annoying that you cant grow it from seeds frown I absolutely hate laying turf lol

Winter grass requires to much maintenance is summer which isn't ideal in Canberra where its fairly hot and dry.

#1125512 - 07/09/2012 21:01 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Tom1234]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Forget seed.... grow from sprigs, cuttings... There are hundreds of hybrid varieties available... throw them out like seed on the soil and keep moist and feed and within 6-8 weeks youll have full cover.. time to start thinking about it..

#1125549 - 07/09/2012 23:30 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
ant Offline

Originally Posted By: Simmosturf
Spot spray it with round up mate!

I was amazed at the proliferation last season. i'm not kidding about that Brunnings tough grass seed mix... I threw a lot of that around, and suddenly, there's paspalum, tons of it. I'm sticking with Bellchambers dryland mix (and couch! I have a secret bag of it hidden) from now on. Bellchambers are great, a local family business, run out of a ramshackle shed with chooks buzzing about (and pigeons, recently). And Tumut Brooms.

I'll be out with the roundup, going after Serrated Tussock. Awful stuff. And I've discovered some African LoveGrass, probably brought in by the family from Canberra. So Roundup for that. And the paspalum. Definitely.

#1125550 - 07/09/2012 23:38 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
ant Offline

Originally Posted By: Simmosturf
Forget seed.... grow from sprigs, cuttings... There are hundreds of hybrid varieties available... throw them out like seed on the soil and keep moist and feed and within 6-8 weeks youll have full cover.. time to start thinking about it..

Couch? Or Zoysia? I actually did steal some pull-ups of couch from home a few years back... not sure any of them took, but they were put in paddock, not in watered areas. The seed is working, slowly. All on non-watered areas, it's populating rocky slopes, some of my dreadful driveway... this spring should show how far it's got, I did a lot of seed-casting last season.

Yeah, time to start thinking about it... I've been thinking about it for a while actually! I'd love to get my hands on some Buffalo or Zoysia. I'll go investigate that. Softer, shorter leaves.

#1125582 - 08/09/2012 09:44 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Buffalo is prickly... some of the newer hybrids aren't as bad such as palmetto or Sr walter.. The ST varieties are just crap and turf farms are moving away from it..Buffalo's are vulnerable to a lot of herbicides and those you can use are picky on the weeds... Empire is fantastic... I installed heaps of lawns down here in Wang where we have regular -5 frosts and it toughs it out beautifully... Very soft and you can cut it at 12mm or leave at 50mm...You can cover spray with weak round up mix in winter while dormant so no weeds issues.. http://www.empireturf.com.au/ Turf farms have all but given up on the cool seasons varieties such as tall fescue, kentucky blue and bent grass, with only a handful still persisting with it such as HG turf.... To thirsty and not long lasting... It gets taken over by common couch and kikuyu... and the grubs love it....

Edited by Simmosturf (08/09/2012 09:45)
Edit Reason: additions

#1125773 - 09/09/2012 20:25 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
ant Offline

That zoysia is really pretty, it doesn't seem to look like runner-grass at all. I remember reading about it a few years back and being impressed. I wish it came by seed as well as turf!

Don't have problems with weeds in my lawns, for some reason (brother is convinced clover is a weed but I don't mind it). Maybe that RTF bashes up the weeds.

You wouldn't approve of Canberra's big turf company! http://www.canturf.com.au/lawn/choose.html#canberrablend
Tall fine fescue, Kentucky Bluegrass, and Sir Walter (and rye, of course, which used to be the big grass here and is responsible for all the sneezing in spring). It's on the river flat across the river from the family farm, it was/is a dairy farm, and I guess they found growing turf used up the cow poo and was more profitable.

#1125783 - 09/09/2012 20:43 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I love the buffalo grass we have and encourage it. Trying to get it to sprout more round the place. Handles the droughts pretty well and the horses munching on it. Grows into bit mats of it and helps stop the erosion.

I wish it came in seed though.

#1126142 - 11/09/2012 22:18 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: bundybear]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

It does come in seed mate... Geez they know how to charge!!! thats a rip off!!! no wonder your keen on seeding..... I was buying turf out of sydney and transporting it to Wangaratta and getting it here for $4.50 pm. That was couch and kykuyu. Empire was dearer, about $6.50... Didnt recommend buffalo but it was about the same..

Edited by Simmosturf (11/09/2012 22:23)

#1126202 - 12/09/2012 11:21 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
ant Offline

comes in seed? Oh, that's the Buffalo, not the Zoysia? Got all hopeful there for a minute!

#1126641 - 14/09/2012 12:27 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yes clover is a weed.... its taking valuable nutrients,water, sunlight, and room away from your desirables mate..

#1126671 - 14/09/2012 14:18 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
ant Offline

My brother loathes clover, but it's in my grass mix and he's accepted the inevitable (he thinks he is the boss of all lawns). It seems to have germinated faster than the blade grass too, there was lots of it after a week, but now it's been two weeks and the blades are coming up everywhere. Time to get the hessian and shadecloth off tomorrow.

#1126714 - 14/09/2012 20:05 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Buy a couple of sheep to feed them on!!! Im all about quality, easy to care for drought tolerant turf grasses... Paddocks are simply that and dont deserve to be called lawns in the true sence of the word!!! I mow my turfed areas with a 24" cylinder mower once per week in the growing season... I normally allow them to be dormant in winter but this year oversowed for colour using bent and fine fescue and turf type rye... re-use clippings as fert... use chemical and biological fert also, maintain soil balance, and really enjoy the limited work I do on them.... In my business i find so many would be's, should be's, & never will be's its not funny... Back to basics and forget which doesn't do well here... Easy really..

#1128803 - 25/09/2012 21:56 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
ant Offline

Grass clippings are useful for establishing grass in non-irrigated areas. I did that for the past few seasons, scattered thin layers of grass clippings from my RTF lawns on bare yellow hard earth, and sometimes put a bit of seed on, and even sloped areas now have a beaut covering of green. Really pleased about it. It was a bit of work, but incredibly effective. Can't argue with success, they stayed green all winter, and only rain to water them.

I've seen those cylinder mowers used at golf courses and the Queanbeyan bowlo uses theirs a lot. I just have a standard mower and use my old rasp file (for my ski edges) to sharpen the blades.

Getting hold of decent grass seed is quite tricky here. Bunnings sells all the usual kentucky, CanTurf and runner grasses by seed. Bellchambers have the most useful range and I might investigate their rye offerings next but that's where we got the RTF from originally. the couch goes all white and crackly over winter, it's still like that actually, with other grass pushing up from underneath.

I don't need sheep, I've got ROOS! Although when the pickings get good (and they evidently are), they ease off on the lawns a bit. I don't mind mowing, I need those grass clippings.

New grass is taking a while to get going, despite the pop-ups coming on every 2nd day. Must be the cold nights. I elevated teh bird netting on sunday, using sticks, so it's like a netting tent now. To foil the greedy parrots. It's germinating, but very slowly.

#1159353 - 17/01/2013 16:12 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
ethanhh george Offline
Cloud Gazer

Hi Friend

The dreaded lawn grubs can removed by Nematodes . They are the worst enemy of lawn grubs,white grubs,borers,beetle grubs,root weevils.It is safe and simple to use. I used it in my lawn and my problem is solved.

#1159739 - 18/01/2013 12:59 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ethanhh george]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

yes they work a treat.. how much you pay for them?

#1159768 - 18/01/2013 13:46 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
ant Offline

Where do you get Nematodes? I thought they were a terrible thing that wrecks your tomato roots... will they stay in a lawn and not go foraging?

I've got next week off before going skiing, and the lawn grub stuff will be going into the lawns. The re-growing is sporadic, I've done a second seed sowing, and useing sugarcane hay now to put over it as the roos and rabbits are seeing to it that there is nothing to mow.

#1162164 - 22/01/2013 12:41 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Get some Lorsban Ant.. One spray will wipe them out..

#1163175 - 23/01/2013 12:41 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
ant Offline

I used a whole container of the grub stuff, it was a bit coy about dilution rates for lawns, so I used the lot in a series of watering can applications. The lawn irrigation was due to come on an hour after I did it... and then I put on the remaining powder stuff I got from Big W last year for good measure (smells awful).

Let's see (got containers off pile they were in), the liquid was Imidacloprid, and the granules was chlorpyrifos.

#1163825 - 23/01/2013 21:02 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
ethanhh george Offline
Cloud Gazer

They are the best enemy of the lawn grubs. They are safe to use. I order it online. Even you can order it from
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1x...53#.UP-ybqzG6X0
Or
http://greenmethods.com/site/weblog/2009/04/huge-spring-nematode-sale/
These are the few sites where it is available.

#1163948 - 23/01/2013 22:20 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ethanhh george]
ant Offline

Well, it might well be a good solution if these blighters want to keep coming. But they won't make a break for my tomatoes, will they?

Those are US sites, I'm pretty sure we can't import insects from the US! I sure hope we can't.

#1165407 - 25/01/2013 18:06 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

The Clorpyriphos is the product mate... That's Lorsban... Go to your farm supply company though mate!!! Very dubious I am re the big chains!!! Your grubs are gone mate!!

#1165513 - 25/01/2013 21:28 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
ant Offline

I got the liquid stuff from Bellchambers, an old ag supply place in a ramshackle shed in Fyshwick. The granules I got in a bucket from Big W but wasn't sure it was going to work, and I think i applied most of it at the wrong time. Bellchambers bloke reckoned water the liquid stuff in early January, to get the bugs at their most vulnerable. They had better all be dead!

#1165965 - 26/01/2013 13:54 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Mate, Clorpyriphos will wipe them out at any life cycle... Very potent!! Surprised you can still buy it!!! The average joe blo can only buy upto 1TR of the liquid form at a time! Which is stupid!! And watering it in is the go. One touch and no more grub!!!

#1165966 - 26/01/2013 13:56 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Its actually registered for termite control also!!

#1170592 - 05/02/2013 21:56 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
ethanhh george Offline
Cloud Gazer

I also had a same problem of dread lawn grubs in my lawn. I used it worked. I think it will not harm your tomatoes.

#1170621 - 06/02/2013 04:54 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ethanhh george]
ant Offline

the Clorpyiphos, which was the granules from Big W, had a really bad smell, I remember it from when we bought our farm, one of the sheds stank of it. I wonder if they'd used it for termites? there's termites present at my place, every bit of dead wood and even wood chip mulch has them. Bit of a worry given my house is WRC!!!!

I didn't dissolve them, just sprinkled most of the bucket over the two lawns, which get pop-up watering every two days. I haven't seen any black beetles about, although some birds leave pellets of compressed beetle casings on my deck.

But the liquid stuff did get added to water and watered in, an hour before the pop-ups were due to come on, I used the entire container as they got very vague about dilution rates on the container. Bellchambers said this stuff (it wasn't the cloryphos, it was the other stuff) has a residual effect. So unless these are very poerful grubs, I'm hoping they're history.

It's bloody annoying, that was a magnificent lawn, sown thickly with RTF and it was so thick that walking on it was like a sponge. However, it didn't like the hot sun much, during summer the only really green bit was under a Manchurian Pear we bunged on part of the lawn. So after the bugs, we ground up all the soil, added a bunch of mushroom compost (a tonne at least) and I'm re-sowing with Dryland Mix which should give us decent performance year-round. From memory, it's RTF, Chewings, Perennial Rye, and one of the clovers. They sell large quantities of it to the people who get the contracts to fix roadworks sites when the work is finished.

Been considering adding a bit of sneaky couch, but it looks horrible in winter so maybe not, although it's doing a good job on the arid hard soil areas, very pleased with it.

Tell you what though, the roos loved the RTF, but they love the Dryland Mix even more. My lawn becomes a restaurant most evenings.

#1170622 - 06/02/2013 04:58 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
ant Offline

... actually before the Dryland grew up properly, every weed known to man came up, so I got to that with Grazon (after the convo about creeping oxalis), and that did for the weeds, AND the clover! So my brother is pretty happy about that, he loathes clover.

#1170955 - 08/02/2013 13:17 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Good stuff Ant.... Yeh I'm wrapped with Grazon!! The turf registered products can go to the [censored] from now on... And so much cheaper.

#1170976 - 08/02/2013 16:14 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
ant Offline

I've found my "strong mix" quite useful for those lawn weeds too, but the Oxalis evidently required grazon. Need Kamba for the Wireweed though.

#1171035 - 08/02/2013 22:33 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
ethanhh george Offline
Cloud Gazer

Yes Simmosturf, dogs damage the lawn grass. But it gets repaired with self.
Sometimes it gets much damage so in that condition new grass has to be grown.
What is the best season to grow grass ?

#1171041 - 08/02/2013 22:57 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ethanhh george]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

That depends on your location and what species you would like to grow? Summer active grasses are the best by a mile and grow Australia wide, but they will go dormant in winter and lose colour, they can be oversown for winter colour easily though.. The upside is that the summer actives (C4) grasses are self repairing, very drought tolerant, and mostly easy to maintain?? Cool season grasses (C3) aren't!!!

#1171722 - 12/02/2013 21:18 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: Simmosturf]
ethanhh george Offline
Cloud Gazer

Thanks for the information. I was looking for the same information. It is a good option to have a self repairing grass in lawn. It requires less maintenance.

#1178344 - 28/02/2013 10:12 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
ant Offline

Got back from the US last week... when I left it was still that dreadful dry heatwave, but several hours after I left we got that 40mm downpour and apprently regular rain ever since.

The lawns look amazing, I did a re-sow of Dryland Mix and straw before I left on all the bare bits. The roos and rabbits were eating down any new growth too.

Now, lush, pale green, all are weeds were GONE thanks to the Grazon spray (thanks Simmo, that tip was spot-on), and also the clover (grazon again). No sign of grub activity.

Although digging in the veggie garden to plant winter things, I found a few giant fat grubs. Pity the worms don't eat them.

I also think these grubs are Christmas Beetles, not black scarabs. I find a LOT of smashed up brown-shelled Xmas beetle casings in bird droppings, and there was some casing in the hole where I found the garden grub. Then again, this grub was a greyish grub, not the white ones in the lawns.

Have also been putting couch seed around (Bermuda Couch). It seems to respond quite slowly, but there's some promising patches around the areas that were dry and bare.

#1183700 - 15/03/2013 20:51 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
ethanhh george Offline
Cloud Gazer

If you are still facing the same problem then you should reinstall the lawn turf. This time install maintenance free turf. So that you donít need to take care of it much. I am having Village Green Turf in my lawn. After installing it I never faced any problem.

#1183898 - 16/03/2013 21:04 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
ant Offline

I'm on a mountain in a rural area, we just ploughed up all the soil (and old grass) and ground it up fine, flattened it again, and re-sowed it! Used a mix of grasses this time, which should mean better performance year-round (RTF hates the hot sun). I have since snuck a bit of couch into it too, although it has a battle.

It's looking great. Put some more seed into the remaining gaps today (my fault, I put my plants on the lawn while away, now I have pot-shaped gaps), and it just rained. Got some perennial rye for the very couchy areas (on the un-irrigated areas which used to be just hard, dry dirt).

It's been growing like mad, that new lawn (there's two of them). And any grubs that are left are Terminator grubs as I've had two sorts of grub stuff on the lawns.

they're big lawns, turf would be a bit of a pain and to be honest, it looks so good now, it's not necessary.

#1184545 - 19/03/2013 17:18 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

The Couch will struggle Ant if you leave the grass long... It will get shaded out. Couch hates the shade...
Whats Village Green Ethan??

#1184547 - 19/03/2013 17:21 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Ohhhhhh Its Kikuyu!!!!! Yuk

#1184613 - 19/03/2013 21:30 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
ant Offline

Interesting, didn't know that about couch. Bit worried about how it browns off in winter, I might just leave it to the un-irrigated rough areas. and I do tend to set the lawnmower as high as it'll cut. Maybe it's not a good addition to the lawn right now.

Dunno what's looking so pretty with this new grass on the lawn, it's a paler green than the mature RTF (which is in the mix), with a broadish leaf. Maybe it's the Chewings. And no clover has come up, maybe it doesn't like the cooler nights or something.

#1185359 - 22/03/2013 14:41 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ethanhh george]
ethanhh george Offline
Cloud Gazer

Originally Posted By: ethanhh george
They are the best enemy of the lawn grubs. They are safe to use. I order it online. Even you can order it from
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1x...53#.UP-ybqzG6X0
Or
http://greenmethods.com/site/weblog/2009/04/huge-spring-nematode-sale/
These are the few sites where it is available.

Yes we can use LADIES IN RED beneficial nematodes,they do not harm other beneficial insects such as Ladybugs and Earthworms. They do not harm plants, pets, people or our environment.Nematodes key benefits are Safe for plants, pets, and people. Landscape Supplies

#1200570 - 23/06/2013 15:12 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

This year, I decided not to oversow my hybrid couch lawns with a winter active seed mix for winter colour because of the spring growth spurt and the difficulty of removing the rye grass with out damaging the couch as it comes out of dormancy.. So I used a pre-emergent known as Stomp (Pendimethalin) which is a yellow colour and stains like buggery and mixed in a blue dye and wetting agent... Sprayed it on to my lawn and what a result.... A green lawn!!!!! Will see how long it will last... Excellent

#1200679 - 23/06/2013 20:51 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
ant Offline

My couch is all yellowed-off, at least you can see where it's growing and colonising I guess. Lawns are looking very thin and short, the animals are eating every blade. I threw some perennial rye around in late summer/autumn, but not sure if it did anything (no clue what it looks like!).

#1200975 - 24/06/2013 17:59 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Ant, Rye has a mid green leaf that is shiny on the back of the leaf blade.It has red stems at the crown at ground level mate...

#1201752 - 29/06/2013 19:09 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I'm off out of this site guys... If you have any lawn questions, please email me on simmosturf@netspace.net.au Good luck guys

#1201763 - 29/06/2013 20:22 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
ant Offline

Sorry to hear that, you've been a huge, huge help. I don't hang here as much as I used to either.

#1201831 - 30/06/2013 13:27 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

No worries ant. Its my passion..

#1212155 - 01/10/2013 17:46 Re: The dreaded lawn grubs [Re: ant]
ethanhh george Offline
Cloud Gazer

Something lost due to carelessness or if you are not using an appropriate products, techniques etc. So, If you would like to keep your garden green and healthy then it must be maintained well any how at any condition. For that don't hesitate to buy good garden lawn turf and pay more for good service.

Here, I would like to introduce you about - The secret of growing perfect lawn? It's a useful post and helpful guide to the gardener.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
49 registered (Tuntable Crook, rainiac, BlairRoberts, justme, Sidney, StormQueen, Locke, WANDJINA G'vale, DarrylS, Clearskies, mysteriousbrad, J D, snoopydoo, hanksy, Stormy3, WeatherNut96, slider, gberg, vjknight, ozone doug, Squeako_88, TWEEDSTORM, samboz, CuNimJim, Ahab, retired weather man, Kangaroo, Aussiestormguy, Dipole, petethemoskeet, Nature's Fury, OverDrive, Phantom, Steve777, Summ3r, redbucket, Rainbow Spirit, whatscracken, Colin Maitland, DaveMuzza, Mad Elf #1.5, schmacko67, F5, Jimi, GringosRain, wxra, 3 invisible), 525 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Big_Pete, CoastalStorm22, Heatwave21
Forum Stats
29193 Members
32 Forums
23566 Topics
1447041 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image