Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1018338 - 10/10/2011 00:01 HDR adventures
Dawoodman Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Thoopara; Prossie/ Bayswater
Hi forum

I have been wondering, after a small stumble around 500px, about everyone's take on HDR photography. I would like some help with mine, i want to know how to grab an instant photo and make it HDR. I saw one of a plane flying. also it would help when taking landscape photos because i get a ghosting effect with clouds as they always move between shots

Upload your pictures here and share some tips with your HDR techniques

#1019096 - 12/10/2011 22:04 Re: HDR adventures [Re: Dawoodman]
Foehn Correspondent Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Bardon 4065
Hi Dawoodman,

There is an article in the October 2011 (this months) Australian Photography magazine about landscapes and HDR. It is possible to take a HDR photo using 1 shot by using a RAW capture and software. Basically by using the presets in the software you can obtain a range of exposures which can be combined into the final image. By using the one RAW image you can overcome any issues with the subject moving.

If you have any dramas getting a hold of a copy let me know.

Greg

#1019114 - 12/10/2011 23:13 Re: HDR adventures [Re: Foehn Correspondent]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW, Australia
Originally Posted By: Foehn Correspondent
Hi Dawoodman,

There is an article in the October 2011 (this months) Australian Photography magazine about landscapes and HDR. It is possible to take a HDR photo using 1 shot by using a RAW capture and software. Basically by using the presets in the software you can obtain a range of exposures which can be combined into the final image. By using the one RAW image you can overcome any issues with the subject moving.

If you have any dramas getting a hold of a copy let me know.

Greg

Its as simple as taking a picture in RAW, then creating 3 JPGS at home. One original settings, one 2 stops under exposed, and one 2 stops over exposed.

Then use any HDR package to combine, such Picturenaut - goodle it and its free.

#1019159 - 13/10/2011 08:34 Re: HDR adventures [Re: ozthunder]
Dawoodman Offline
Weatherzone Addict

sweet thanks I'll give it a run

Here is one i took the other day, it used exposure bracketing, I was really just playing with sliders in Photoshop grin

its here http://500px.com/photo/2503656

#1021764 - 16/10/2011 22:49 Re: HDR adventures [Re: Dawoodman]
missychop Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: brisneyland
what version of photoshop do you have, I have cs5 and there is a HDR toning option that I have been messing around with but i dont know if i have achieved with right result...
[img:left][/img]

#1023903 - 24/10/2011 22:04 Re: HDR adventures [Re: missychop]
Dragonfly Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warwick SE Qld
That's right, it's tone mapping that makes the HDRi (High Dynamic Range image) Photomatix is another great program dedicated to HDRi and there are a number of ways to create bracketed exposures, especially from RAW single files if you need to but the best way is to manually exposure bracket in the camera or use the AEB function in most digital cameras -2 0 +2. The Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB) function allows you to take 3 images in succession using a tripod, burst mode and release cable. You can also use the self timer, burst mode and tripod. One image will expose for the foreground and overexpose the sky, the second should be a correct exposure and the third will expose the sky and underexpose the foreground, combine all three in HDR software and you have a HDRi once it is tome mapped and all ground and cloud detail can be seen in the image, generally then it's taken to photoshop for levels, curves, sharpen etc especially if it is a RAW FILE (digital negative) it needs to be processed.

Back on topic, this image was saved from one RAW exposure by creating 5 extra exposures as tif files and combining them to create one HDRi using a Canon 40D, adobe RAW converter, photomatix, then photoshop as the workflow.

#1024624 - 27/10/2011 16:44 Re: HDR adventures [Re: Dragonfly]
Markus Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Clare, SA
In recent days I have been playing around with HDR with the aim of creating a hugh dynamic range but without that unnrealistic feel that seems to happen alot for whatever reasons. I am just using the trial version of Photomatix atm hence why this pic is watermarked but this situation here really showed me how useful a tool it could be.

I still think it could be better but this was an extremely bright day and I could barely look at the clouds myself so i think it has done an exceptional job. Saturatio9n is a bit over the top but it makes the rock have such great colours smile

I have also been playing around with 1 shot HDR from the raw file but havnt looked a great deal into it yet. Ill have some practice tonight nd see how it goes

#1024695 - 27/10/2011 20:51 Re: HDR adventures [Re: Markus]
Dragonfly Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warwick SE Qld
Nicely done for first attempt Markus! You haven't really pushed this over the top. You could desaturate it in photoshop, afterwards, if you are ever concerned about strong colours generated in photomatix. The over the top renditions you see are generally done on purpose and in photomatix it's light smoothing that makes them look one way or the other, try clicking all 5 levels of light smoothing and watch the image change dramatically. It's not to everyone's taste but I guess it has it's place.

If you stick with similar settings to what you have now with tone mapping in photomatix you should get your HDRi looking pretty natural.

#1026436 - 03/11/2011 08:22 Re: HDR adventures [Re: Dragonfly]
Harry Spotter Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Springwood, Brisbane
If you have Photoshop and no patience, Shadows & Highlights is a great tool to pull back highlights and lighten dark areas with one step. I use it all the time for landscapes and wedding photos alike. It only requires one photo, so I'm not sure if it qualifies as pure HDR. (I assume the "high" in High Dynamic Range means more dynamic range than what one exposure can capture.) But used heavily, Shadows & Highlights CAN give an HDR look, if that's what you're after. Although it's actually a great tool for balancing an exposure without producing that HDR look as well.

Cheers,
Marty.

#1026479 - 03/11/2011 10:58 Re: HDR adventures [Re: Harry Spotter]
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: NE suburbs, Adelaide, South Au...
Yep Marty, I love that tool. Use it all the time with my weather & wedding photos...

#1026813 - 04/11/2011 20:08 Re: HDR adventures [Re: teckert]
Naththo Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: West Lakes (Adelaide western s...
Very nice pic. But remember, watch out for shadow detail loss, highlight blownout, and noise appearing when using shadow recovery or so. If you get all ingredient right, you will have perfect HDR alike with one image only. 3 images are ok for still image without any moving or try do on calm day when trees are not moving, then it will have no problem making HDR out of 3 diff exposure. It is very tricky one. I have tried few times and I didn't like what I did. I failed few times. And haven't tried again for ages. I have to try again sometimes one day soon. smile

#1131374 - 10/10/2012 01:42 Re: HDR adventures [Re: Naththo]
Big_Pete Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Perth
One of my experiments with HDR... sunset this evening in Albany.

#1138074 - 05/11/2012 19:19 Re: HDR adventures [Re: Big_Pete]
Dawoodman Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hey guys...

Decided to give Phootomatix a run.... Its ok but my result is not what I wanted.
I'd rather have the real look rather than the matte/pastel? look

#1143779 - 22/11/2012 14:55 Re: HDR adventures [Re: Dawoodman]
poida84 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: buxton,wollondilly
couple attempts at HDR i used photoreal preset on the dam one and the other used sereal preset.

damHDR by poida-wx, on Flickr
Nepean Dam

HDR BUXTON by poida-wx, on Flickr
Buxton station NSW

#1145010 - 27/11/2012 13:16 Re: HDR adventures [Re: poida84]
Wild Wassa Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: NW ACT
It is well written that the HDR technique is excellent for extending the tonalities within extended or reduced brightness ranges of subjects. Particularly found when shooting in difficult conditions.

I like the HDR technique and gain from it as much as I can but I don't like my images looking overtly HDR.

Setting the first expose to achieve a particular tone of the most important element within the scene is considered and then determined and not just left up to the camera's light metre, ever. Then I determine how much brightness range I want to have in the final image and then set the additional exposures accordingly.

I'm not always doing the two additional exposures uniformly bracketed on each side of the initial exposure. Often it is the darker values that I want to have the deeper textures so my first exposure might be the most correctly exposed shot. Then the second and third exposures might be -1 stop and -2 stops.

Here are some HDRs taken recently. I circumnavigated The Rock, 35 kilometres SW of Wagga Wagga, push-biking on the Travelling Stock Routes back along the Murrumbidgee River to Estella.

Warren.

Edited by Wild Wassa (27/11/2012 13:26)

#1145022 - 27/11/2012 14:14 Re: HDR adventures [Re: Wild Wassa]
seaworthy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gawler East, SA - 102m
dawoodman, it is best take HDR images on days where there is a large rain of tones, e.g bright whites and dark darks. This is the whole purpose of HDR but the reason your picture did not come out to your liking was because that day was clearly overcast.

In other words, the lighting was clearly pretty flat and there wasn't much of a range of brightness/darkness as it were. These days are of course better off with a single shot.

#1145891 - 29/11/2012 20:24 Re: HDR adventures [Re: seaworthy]
EFujita5 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Mordialloc Vic
wow

all of your photos are beautiful i don't know much about photography its something im new to.

but the photos are great almost surreal in appearance.

do you need to play with the photos much to get the kinda details your getting. is it something you can jump into or is it like an art where by you learn it as you go and you get better and you learn

do you need like a DSLR to do stuff like this, iv always been interested but bulked at the price for a really good camera

sorry its a little off topic. i was looking at this because iv seen HDR used in film but not in still before

Edited by EFujita5 (29/11/2012 20:27)

#1146227 - 30/11/2012 16:45 Re: HDR adventures [Re: EFujita5]
Big_Pete Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Perth

This is probably one of the HDR photos I've taken that I'm actually quite happy with. It captures the contrast of dark stormy skies against a relatively calm beach. That is what I was aiming for, that is what I reckon HDR should be used for. You can't just take every single landscape photo in HDR, particularly on low contrast days. Just my two cents worth. smile

#1146507 - 01/12/2012 09:24 Re: HDR adventures [Re: EFujita5]
Wild Wassa Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: NW ACT
Originally Posted By: EFujita5
... is it something you can jump into or is it like an art where by you learn it as you go and you get better and you learn.

EF, G'day.

The first thing to do is to calibrate your monitor. This is important to allow you to distinguish between the more subtle tones, in the image's brighter highlights and in the deeper shadows. Also, what you will be posting will match what we (with calibrated monitors) see, the way you want it shown. Calibrating a monitor ... http://www.digitalmasters.com.au/Monitor_Calibration.html

Secondly, read about and get a basic understanding of the Digital Zone System. This will help to understand what a tone is and how photographers used tones to enhance their work ... http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/how-to/shooting/the-digital-zone-system.html

Finally, HDR means High Dynamic Range, which is an extended range of tones. This is a good place to start understanding the HDR technique ... http://www.hdrsoft.com/

Your question about do you get better as you learn? ... without a doubt you will.

Good luck and post your shots often.

Warren.

Edited by Wild Wassa (01/12/2012 09:34)

#1146611 - 01/12/2012 12:23 Re: HDR adventures [Re: Wild Wassa]
EFujita5 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Mordialloc Vic
Thanks for the advice warren.

HDR my understanding was its using one over exposed and one under exposed and getting a middle ground between the two and that what HDR is.

is that wrong O_o [edit] i just read the site you offered, yeah my explanation is a little simpleton but its the right idea.

ill research more and go from there.

Big_Pete. that is a beautiful photo. would make a great center piece for a wall in a home.

Edited by EFujita5 (01/12/2012 12:28)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
9 registered (scott12, Stormwalker, Mike Hauber, slipperyfish, Jimi, pagey, pete28, mysteriousbrad, LonnyDave), 91 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Chris #3, Cloudwatcher, dave-tsv, GuyH, Joshg, Prettybub, s016230, Sprouts
Forum Stats
29700 Members
32 Forums
24005 Topics
1502900 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image