Page 10 of 32 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 31 32 >
Topic Options
#1138989 - 08/11/2012 19:23 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: crikey]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Oxley Brisbane Qld
Solar Update

Hello folks. How unpredictable is our Star! Quite a bit actually.

I was convinced AR1598 would continue to produce one more X-Class flare last week before rotating off the Solar disc and it did not. And well may be this is a good thing. Have to be careful of what we wish for wink

Solar activity as a whole has been unexpected as the Sun's X-Ray output had flat lined yet again last week... until today that is. More on that in a moment.

Spaceweather.com interestingly enough have commented the following;

Quote:
SO THIS IS SOLAR MAXIMUM? Forecasters have long expected the Solar Max of 2013 to be the weakest of the Space Age. It might be even weaker than they thought. As shown in this 20-year plot of sunspot counts vs. time, the sun is underperforming:

Quote:
Sunspot numbers are notoriously variable, so the actual counts could rapidly rise to meet or exceed the predicted curve. For now, however, the face of the sun is devoid of large sunspots, and there have been no strong flares in more than a week. The threshold of Solar Max looks a lot like Solar Min. NOAA forecasters estimate no more than a 1% chance of X-class solar flares in the next 24 hours.

The next 5-8 months will be really interesting in observing the Sun as we reach Solar Maximum, so many times a relatively quite Sun can turn violently active in a space of 24-48 hours. Producing beautiful prominence's or filaments that spectacularly erupt and hurl off into space. Wonder how many more X-Class flares will explode from active regions producing strong CME's headed in Earth's direction? Let us wait and see.

For now though the Sun has just produced an impulsive M.1-Class Solar flare from an unnumbered active region which will be numbered shortly (maybe AR1611). It is only just rotating onto the Solar disc from the Northeastern limb. There is no data yet on any potential CME.

Currently Earth is experiencing Solar winds from the below noted Coronal Hole. Winds were up around 500km/sec earlier on but have dropped to around 437km/sec

Solarwatcher has done a video with imagery of the Solar flare. (Great music as always)

Music used is 'Departure' - Rick Horrocks RH Soundtracks composed and produced by Rick Horrocks
http://www.rhsoundtracks.net/

So on that note I will bid you a good evening.
Hope all is well and we get some rain soon.

Cheers SD

oh and I hope you all enjoyed Halloween, I had several scary little people knocking at my door. Next year I might dress up so I can scare them when I open to door... too funny smile

#1138995 - 08/11/2012 20:14 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
GDL Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Bowen Mountain NSW
thanks SD.......................GDL

#1139730 - 12/11/2012 16:37 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: GDL]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Solar Update

On Nov 11 at 02:34 UT a new AR region rotating onto the Solar disc produced a M1-Class Solar flare. The CME is not at all Earth facing.

And for something even more spectacular a HUGE prominence erupted off the surface of the Sun. Solarwatcher has captured the imagery in the below video - it is really a beautiful eruption (seen at 1:17 sec into video) reminds me almost of a sea horse on it's side at one point.

Here is a still image of the prominence as it hovered on the Sun's surface before breaking away

At the moment the Earth facing side of the Sun is relatively quiet still, AR1610 is growing rapidly but has a Beta magnetic field and AR1611 also growing has developed a Beta Gamma Magnetic field. Overall the current sunspot number is 106.

In Summary the Sunspot Magnetic Class's are as follow's - I took the below from Solarham.com for a quick brief explanation for you smile Not sure if I have shared this info before.

Quote:
Sunspot Magnetic Class :
The magnetic class of sunspots is important in determining how potentially volatile particular active regions may be. There are basically 7 magnetic types of sunspots that are classified. They are described as follows:

Type

A - Alpha (single polarity spot).
B - Beta (bipolar spot configuration).
G - Gamma (atypical mixture of polarities).
BG - Beta-Gamma (mixture of polarities in a dominantly bipolar configuration).
D - Delta (opposite polarity umbrae within single penumbra).
BD - Beta with a Delta configuration.
BGD - Beta-Gamma with a Delta configuration.

Example: A region labelled as having a magnetic classification of BG indicates that the sunspot region contains a mixture of magnetic polarities, but the dominant polarity of the group is bipolar. Potentially very powerful and potent regions are those which have classifications of BG, BD and BGD. As magnetic complexity increases, the ability of an active region to spawn major energetic events likewise increases.

Solar wind from the below Coronal Hole will reach Earth's magnetic field on Nov 14-15.

Presently solar wind is increasing slightly which I would expect from a filament eruption that erupted off the Sun's surface two days ago on Nov 9 15.30UT. Solar wind is around 308km/sec and rising.

Here is solarwatcher's footage of the filament eruption on 9 Nov.

**You will also see in this video an absolutely massive explosion and CME produced from AR1598 which produced the X-Class flare some two weeks back. Thank god it was not Earth facing at the time - you will see it at 1:10 sec into the video

Otherwise all is well for this fine and Sunny Monday
Have a good afternoon

Cheers
SD

p.s. I so love this image of the Sun taken by Mike Taormina on Nov 11 from his place in New York

#1140030 - 14/11/2012 08:00 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Guess this is the right thread...
Can see the solar eclipse here in Melbourne...fantastic.
The sun atm is covered by a third.
Not as good as Cairns..but good enough for me grin
Saw a total eclipse when I was young and it was trully special, a surreal experience.

#1140042 - 14/11/2012 08:18 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: duckweather]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Duckweather... we are up in this thread.

http://forum.weatherzone.com.au/ubbthrea..._fo#Post1140041

I will sift through some NASA imagery later and pop some in here. But pop into the above thread, the photos shared are great.

#1140064 - 14/11/2012 08:50 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Wide Bay..Near the beach

May as well chuck one in here too for the thread. This out of a cheapy pocket camera but not bad just the same. It's a high pixel count so zoom should work ok for a closer look.

#1140097 - 14/11/2012 12:10 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: ColdFront]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

What a great photo coldfront!

I love how the light is reflecting off the edge of the moon, and the clouds are sweeping in, it looks really mystical. I know you have the camera on zoom but it looks really close not bad for a pocket camera smile

Last time I saw an eclipse of the Sun like this that I can remember clearly was in Melbourne years ago when I was child. I remember looking through Dad's wielding shield - we also had solar glasses. Dad was sitting on the roof attempting to take photos LOL. It went really dark and the dog was spooked somewhat.

So 2028 will be the next time, and not sure where the best advantage point will be but I will be there with bells on.

#1140126 - 14/11/2012 14:15 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
Ken Kato Offline
Weatherzone Addict

NOAA's SWPC has issued a Watch for moderate geomagnetic storm levels as follows:

Space Weather Message Code: WARK06
Serial Number: 215
Issue Time: 2012 Nov 14 0243 UTC

WARNING: Geomagnetic K-Index of 6 expected
Valid From: 2012 Nov 15 0300 UTC
Valid To: 2012 Nov 15 0600 UTC
Warning Condition: Onset
NOAA Scale: G2 - Moderate

NOAA Space Weather Scale descriptions can be found at
www.swpc.noaa.gov/NOAAscales

Potential Impacts: Area of impact primarily poleward of 55 degrees Geomagnetic Latitude.
Induced Currents - Power grid fluctuations can occur. High-latitude power systems may experience voltage alarms.
Spacecraft - Satellite orientation irregularities may occur; increased drag on low Earth-orbit satellites is possible.
Radio - HF (high frequency) radio propagation can fade at higher latitudes.
Aurora - Aurora may be seen as low as New York to Wisconsin to Washington state.

#1140129 - 14/11/2012 14:27 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: Ken Kato]
Ken Kato Offline
Weatherzone Addict

The above warning is for THIS afternoon btw, not tomorrow.

#1140963 - 17/11/2012 14:41 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: Ken Kato]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Solar Update

I am truly excited not just from my first unintentional core punch in today's morning storm but a prominence eruption just occurred on the Sun so massive it could not be entirely captured on film, by NASA's SDO spacecraft. The eruption was centered on the Southeastern limb of the Sun, so it was yet to have fully rotated onto the Solar disc and be Earth facing - thankfully!

The eruption was caused by magnetic fields snaking along the Sun's surface so long it stretched halfway across the Sun's Southern hemisphere - over 700,000 km in length. The magnetic fields as they erupted caused a prominence so big it is just incredible to watch it tear away from the Sun into space.

Here is a still image showing on the base of the prominence eruption. eek

The blast hurled a powerful and sizable CME into space, but at this point it does not appear to be heading for Earth. I will be waiting for more data and footage to be released to verify this.

Now there is nothing to worry about eruptions this big have happened before smile

I quickly did a search to find video footage on you tube, as I downloaded the eruption but cannot work out how to upload it to here. Not the brightest cookie in the jar when it comes to some things.

Found a SDO/LASCO C2 image of the same eruption from Kevin on Solarham.com

Stay tuned as I will see what else I can find later. This old girl is going for a Nanna nap before round two of any storms commence.

Take care and be safe all.

SD xoxo

#1142842 - 19/11/2012 22:14 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Solar Update

Evening all smile

Quick update the Sun is peppered with sunspots at the moment.

There is one particular active region of interest AR1619 which is now Earth facing and has the potential for MClass flares.

Here is a quick movie of it growing as it turns Earth facing

There is quite a bit of activity around the surface of the Sun as I type this - some nice prominence's occurring right now.

What a beautiful image taken by Ralph Smith on November 19, 2012 @ Deeral Cairns Australia

Do you believe in Aliens? I'll let you in on a secret I think I do! How can there not be other life form out there, think for a minute how large the universe is smile

So on that crazy note here is Solarwatcher's volume 6 SOHO's greatest hits.

Note: The images you see are not artifacts but anomalies they appear in more than one frame. And the shapes have appeared more than once or twice in his series of 'SOHO's greatest hits' spanning many months. Hum it is interesting... we may never know what are causing these images, some look pretty awesome though I must admit and do make you wonder if there aren't visitors out there. I love the music selected.

Music used is Edge Of The World by Non-Stop Music
Composer: Jeff Broadbent (ASCAP)

Well on that note I shall bid you all good night
Have a great day tomorrow.

Take Care
SD

#1142850 - 19/11/2012 22:36 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
Dawgggg Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Townsville
Bloody oath I beleive in aliens. Gotta beleive in something hey? Suprised that they haven't visited us to be honest.

#1143320 - 20/11/2012 21:51 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: Dawgggg]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Solar Update

Hey Trav great to hear you believe we can be crazy together crazy wink
I sometimes wonder if they haven't already visited, and well if they did it certainly wouldn't be in the public's best interest to know, probably cause a few coronary's. I for one would like to know, would love to hitch a ride and do a lap of the Sun close up, just imagine how incredible that would be!!!

Our Beautiful Earth - Images from the International Space Station

Tonight I have something a little special to share with you all. Some of you may have seen this and others may not smile

The below youtube video comes courteous of NASA's Johnson Space Center. It is an intimate tour over our cities and coastlines on Earth narrated by Dr. Justin Wilkinson aboard the International Space Station. The imagery is spectacular if not breathtaking!

The soundtrack featured is the haunting, ethereal music of Axial Ensemble, title track "Premonition." Sit back relax and enjoy play time is 4:48 minutes

What an Astronaut's Camera Sees at Night (from ISS)

More from the International Space Station

The images you will see in these videos are incredibly difficult to take from a spacecraft traveling along at almost 28,000 kilometers per hour. The images are held at NASA's Johnson Space Center in a special archive for astronaut photography. The population figures in these videos are for metropolitan areas.

In the first video watch for the great cities of Beijing, Istanbul, Melbourne, Montreal, London, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Buenos Aires, Brasilia (one of our favorites), and more.

Part I: High-Res Images of Cities at Night (from ISS)

Part II: High-Res Images of Cities at Night (from ISS)

In this video watch for the great cities of Mumbai, Rio de Janeiro, Mexico City, Johannesburg, New Delhi, Toronto, Sydney, and many others. All included population numbers are based on estimated metropolitan populations.

Nothing to report on our beautiful Star tonight she isn't getting up to much but that should change shortly... we are mid November so hopefully soon she will awaken again for a small burst of activity smile

Sweet Dreams and have a good day. Tomorrow is hump day so half way through the working week - Yeah!

Ciao for now
SD x

#1143686 - 22/11/2012 09:37 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Solar Update

Morning all hope you slept well smile

Late yesterday and overnight our time sunspot active region 1618 grew significantly and has developed a complex Beta-Gamma magnetic field which harbours energy for M-Class flares. Sunspot active region 1618 has released 3 x low level M-Class flares overnight.

M3.5 (11/21/2012) @ 15:30 UTC
M1.4 (11/21/2012) @ 06:48 UTC
M1.6 (11/20/2012) @ 19:28 UTC

Here is a quick movie showing the growth rate of AR1618 it is now 10 times the size of Earth (you will notice 1619 rotating off the animation)

Not all sunspots behave the same, no two are ever alike. Fast-changing magnetic fields on the sun have a tendency to reconnect and erupt. This is the typical behavour on display now with AR1618 as it has produced 3 solar flares in a relatively short space of time (Sun time that is). Here is a little bit of information on magnetic reconnection you might find interesting. http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2009/31aug_mms/

Here is the GOES X-Ray flux showing the last 3 M-Class Solar flares

Currently there is a 70% chance of more M-Class Flares and 15% chance of X-Class flares produced from AR1618 in the next 24-48 hours. The active region is now in Earth facing position so any potential CME's released would deliver a glancing blow directly at Earth.

Watching your own Movie of the Sun

I just love doing this... and that is watching SOHO real time data of what the Sun is up to over a period of time. You can input a date range of a couple of months for example, than wait for it to load and then sit back and enjoy the movie of all the Sun's activity in that time.

Here are the instructions to get there...

Go to http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/home.html

Select in the top toolbar 'data/archive'

Next in the left hand menu bar under the heading - REAL TIME IMAGES click on 'Search & Download Data'

The below page will appear

The data you need to select for this one example is as follows:-

Image Type is EIT 304,
Resolution is 512 or 1024,
Display is Movie
Start and End dates is 2012-9-19 to 2012-11-22

Once you have entered that data hit the Search button

The below page will appear. AND enjoy you can stop start, go faster or slower, reverse or swing the movie.

You will see all the prominence and filament eruptions in that time period. The bright areas are those of Sunspot active regions. And bright flashes observed would have been solar flares. Tip... watch it a couple of times, each time concentrate looking at just a quarter of the Sun so you can really observe the changes on the Sun's surface.

Have a play around with selecting different image types or selecting still images.

Kids especially will enjoy this as it is quite awe inspiring watching the Sun change daily and the filaments especially snaking around the Sun and often lifting off.

In the above date range you will see perfect snaking of a large filament in the Southern Hemisphere (from the 26-10-2012 to 7-11-2012) see image below of what I mean - they are the cool darker lines.

On that note have a good day, happy watching the Sun. Let me know what you think or if you have any questions. I shall keep you posted of any events.

Take Care
SDx

Edited by SunnyDays (22/11/2012 09:40)

#1143700 - 22/11/2012 10:38 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
Raindammit Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Townsville & Bilyana NQ
As always, another awesome post SunnyDays. Really enjoying your knowledge! smile

#1143708 - 22/11/2012 11:17 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: Raindammit]
Ken Kato Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I second that!

NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Centre also currently has a Watch current for 10am Fri to 10am Sat AEST for moderate levels of geomagnetic storm activity easing to minor levels thereafter.

#1143866 - 22/11/2012 17:51 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: Ken Kato]
GDL Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Bowen Mountain NSW
We will keep on

#1144097 - 23/11/2012 15:58 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: GDL]
Arnost Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yes Sunny Days! Great stuff... Thank you.

And this of course applies to scientific principles. Never compromise these. Never! [Follow the science and you will be shown correct in the end...]

#1145354 - 28/11/2012 15:27 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: Arnost]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Solar Update

Thanks for the lovely feedback smile I am compiling a little something special and will post it soon for you all - stay tuned I'm hoping you will like it wink

What is our Sun up to today... Big sunspot AR1618 last reported on unfortunately did not go onto produce any further significant flares except for today (an M1-Class flare has just been recorded). It did however since my last post develop a beta-gamma-delta configuration that harbors energy for X-Class Solar flares but then simultaneously started to decay frown AR1618 has now virtually rotated off the Solar disc. But like so many other sunspot active regions, as they rotate off the Solar disc, AR1618 released energy for one final Solar flare that we can observe. Far sided eruptions are not captured as well by SOHO due to the positioning of the spacecraft.

The below shows AR1618 when it was squarely Earth directed and the size of 10 Earths on the 22 November 2012

Image of AR1618 on 22 November 2012 taken by Jett Aguilar over the Phillippines.

Let's pause for a moment before we see what is occurring today and marvel at the below image.
The ISS (international space station) has been captured again on the 25 November crossing the Sun by photographer Leonardo Julio from Argentina.

So we fast forward to today's date and we have a large coronal hole facing Earth - the high speed Solar wind stream should be expected to hit Earth by Dec 1-2. Out of curiosity lets observe to see if we get any large earthquakes 7+M, noting there are planetary alignments involving Jupiter (which I don't really grasp or understand fully yet) and a full moon?

We have another very large sunspot active region AR1620 - below is an animated view of it increasing in size - it too is now ten times larger than Earth. AR1620 has a 'beta-gamma' magnetic field which harbors energy for M-Class flares. There is a 35% chance of more M-Class flares in the next 24-48 hours.

Sunspot count is 81 - Here are the 4 active regions currently on the Solar disc. AR1620 would be easily captured by keen backyard solar photographers.

And that is it folks...well almost we have some great footage of a prominence eruption captured from the northern eastern limb of the Sun. A prominence erupted earlier today, the CME observed does not appear to be headed towards Earth.

Take care all, Stay cool with this heat!
I'm getting into the festive season today by putting up the Christmas 'trees' all under air con (I have two for some reason - crazy I know)... so back to Christmas carols, tinsel and baubles smile

SDx

#1146997 - 02/12/2012 22:24 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Solar Update

Evening all smile

I hope you are all surviving the heat and staying cool. I went to Tangalooma yesterday, 10 hours of jam packed activities and well now I look like Rhonda, somewhat sun-kissed and sore. Had a blast tobogganing down the dunes, just need to shake the last of the sand out of my ears and I'll be right. It was a far bit cooler out on the bay, the water was so warm. I'm dreading Tuesday's forecasted heat...39 degrees!

Well speaking of the Sun what is our star up to. Unfortunately not a lot at the moment. Big AR1620 has rotated off the Solar disc without producing any significant Solar flares.

Currently there is very little sunspot activity - total sunspots 49. And there are only three numbered active regions on the Solar disc

Here are two great images both of the Sun today. In the image on the left you can see some great activity on the surface of the Sun on the southeastern limb (left side). And in the image on the right, a square sunspot configuration - both Sunspots 1623 (bottom) and 1625 (top).

JUPITER OPPOSITION

We have had one large Earthquake - a 6.4M in Vanuatu, it will be interesting if we have anymore. As Jupiter will be at opposition, or directly opposite the Sun Dec 2-3 2012, Earth will pass between these two giants of our solar system.

This is the perfect time to look at Jupiter because this is it's closest opposition until 2021. Earth rotates or orbits the sun 12 times for every one orbit made by Jupiter. Jupiter comes closest to Earth once each year and this year it is particularly close. On June 19, 2013 Jupiter will be at it's greatest distance from Earth with the Sun in between.

I have always pondered that some of our planets have a great affect on our Sun, how exactly I think many a brilliant mind is still trying to determine fact from fiction, science has an argument for both sides of the fence. I have wondered to what affect Jupiter has in particular being the largest of our planets.

For now though here is a little more on the Jupiter opposition... http://earthsky.org/tonight/earth-passes-between-jupiter-and-sun-on-december-2-3-2012

Quote:
But for now, we return our focus on Jupiter, the largest world in our solar system. It shines well over four thousand times more brightly than the asteroid Vesta.

Jupiter comes to opposition every 13 months or so, as Earth takes this long to travel once around the sun relative to Jupiter. Jupiter’s closest approach to Earth for the year always falls on or near this planet’s opposition date. In 2012, Jupiter came nearest to Earth on December 1, at 15 hours Universal Time (9 a.m. Central Time). Then Jupiter was only 378 million miles (609 million kilometers) away. Because Jupiter passed its perihelion – or closest point to the sun – in March 2011, the giant planet is now getting farther from the sun. As a result, at this opposition, Jupiter is as close as it will be until the year 2021.

And, because it’s opposite the sun around now, you can see Jupiter at any time of night. For example – as today’s chart shows – you can see it in the south at midnight tonight, when the sun is below your feet. At dawn tomorrow, you’ll see Jupiter low in your western sky. At opposition, Jupiter shines at its brightest in our sky.

Look how little we are compared to Jupiter smile It is such a beautiful planet.

Well that is all on our Sun and Jupiter for tonight but will end with something that is fascinatingly beautiful.

Anticrepuscular Rays

Many of you have observed crepuscular rays, those radiating beams of sunlight that appear to burst out from behind a Cumulus cloud or shine down through a hole in a Stratocumulus. A rarer event and just as beautiful are 'Anticrepuscular Rays'. These appear to emanate not from the Sun, but from the point on the horizon directly opposite it.

This image is taken by Martin Popek on November 24, 2012 in Queensland Australia. Full credit to him and a beautiful image hosted on Spaceweather.

Here are some more images of Anticrepuscular Rays I randomly found searching for good images http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/featured/most-incredible-anticrepuscular-rays/20371

Anticrespulcular rays captured just outside Boulder, CO Image: John Britton

Image below by Carolina Ödman

Good night folks.
Sweet Dreams

SDx

Edited by SunnyDays (02/12/2012 22:28)

Page 10 of 32 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 31 32 >

Who's Online
8 registered (Timbuck, Anthony Violi, Wave Rider, layka, Markus, DDstorm, willitrainagain, 1 invisible), 289 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
annair, marestails, Quasar, typhoontim
Forum Stats
29389 Members
32 Forums
23700 Topics
1465941 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image