Topic Options
#1151608 - 21/12/2012 19:41 Ship observations
Funkyseefunkydo Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: East Lake Macquarie
Hi, the online page I used to view ship observations from no longer has the information I want. It seems that all control has gone to VOS? Is there anyway to public view VOS info? Oceanweather.com for example no longer give swell readings.

#1154291 - 01/01/2013 12:34 Re: Ship observations [Re: Funkyseefunkydo]
TrugWX Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Victoria
What page or website are you referring to? For info, VOS stands for Voluntary Observing Ship. It is an international ship-based observing program, originally coordinated by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) but is now coordinated on behalf of WMO and the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of UNESCO by JCOMM (Joint WMO & IOC Technical Commission for Oceanography and Marine Meteorology).

#1157661 - 11/01/2013 22:49 Re: Ship observations [Re: TrugWX]
Laurier Williams Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Millthorpe, 970m, Central W NS...
Ship observations are available along with land observations in data exchanged across the WMO Global Telecommunications System, and is available via a number of US Universities. It is in SYNOP code and the data bulletins are LARGE, so picking out what you want without a computer program (or someone else's computer program) is daunting. My global synoptic charts [here] show all available ship, land and buoy reports (unless crowding makes it impossible to fit them in), but at present I don't show wave or swell information. I can try that for ocean areas if you like - are there any particular areas of interest to you?

#1157671 - 11/01/2013 23:13 Re: Ship observations [Re: Laurier Williams]
Laurier Williams Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Millthorpe, 970m, Central W NS...
If you're interested in looking at the code itself, go to the WMO site and use it's code document [here]. Page 9 is where the FM 13–XIV SHIP code, (usually know as ship SYNOP code) begins. Section 2 of the code allows the reporting of water temperature and the direction, period and height of several sets of waves/swell. The details are in "12.3 Section 2" a few pages down.

When you look through this, you'll see why it's desirable to let a computer do the work for you. I use the program Digital Atmosphere, and a description of how to use it is on my site [here] while the DA program writer's home page is [here].

#1158107 - 13/01/2013 08:26 Re: Ship observations [Re: Laurier Williams]
banni Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Mundulla 10km SW of Bordertown...
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/radial_search.php?lat1=38.0S&lon1=135.0E&uom=M&dist=800&ot=A&time=6

The above is another handy site - just modify it for your needs.

#1159331 - 17/01/2013 15:33 Re: Ship observations [Re: banni]
david frank Offline
Cloud Gazer

VOS is infact set up mainly for training the crews to taken from sea the observation of wheateher. As there are some Automatic VOS System, the purpose of it is to generate reports about weather automatically.

Who's Online
11 registered (Steve777, Jimi, adon, duckweather, Homer, desieboy, Bello Weather, Snowy Hibbo, Kezza34, 2 invisible), 271 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Ree, tiz
Forum Stats
29315 Members
32 Forums
23640 Topics
1456084 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image