NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 876 of 1748 < 1 2 ... 874 875 876 877 878 ... 1747 1748 >
Topic Options
#1314851 - 03/03/2015 19:26 Re: NSW Day to Day Weather - July 2006 to December 2018 [Archive] [Re: Stormyjim]
Steve777 Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Artarmon (Sydney North Shore)
While I was driving this afternoon the forecast on ABC newsradio said that showers were possible for the 'Southern half of the coast' but that they wouldn't affect Sydney. This was a bit confusing because the halfway point is just North of Stockton and South of Williamtown.

The satellite seems to be showing what looks like a rather thin NW cloudband passing over the South of the state. It has been overcast since about 4:00pm. The clouds looked interesting when I was out around 6:00PM - a bit like mamatus, which was unexpected, but so far no rain.

#1314864 - 03/03/2015 20:50 Re: NSW Day to Day Weather - July 2006 to December 2018 [Archive] [Re: Steve777]
Stormyjim Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Camden
Yeh did look like a storm was brewing and did get a brief shower coming off the m5 near Liverpool. Big drops but lasted 30 seconds. It's just that Weatherzone had no mention of rain this morning and was wondering . Thanks

#1314865 - 03/03/2015 20:56 Re: NSW Day to Day Weather - July 2006 to December 2018 [Archive] [Re: Grant]
Wave Rider Offline

Originally Posted By: Stormyjim
Hey everyone . What's going on with the showers moving in over Western Sydney and around tahmoor? I didn't think any rain was forecast for today. Can anyone explain ?

Hey Jimmy, it is because of the altocumulus cloud that moved over in the afternoon, which was probably from a NW cloudband (as Stevie stated) on the tail end of a cold front. Usually altocumulus cloud does not produce precipitation, but sometimes it can produce anything up to light rain. We got a few spits and sprinkles from it this arvo. I was not expecting the cloud either.

Originally Posted By: Steve777
While I was driving this afternoon the forecast on ABC newsradio said that showers were possible for the 'Southern half of the coast' but that they wouldn't affect Sydney. This was a bit confusing because the halfway point is just North of Stockton and South of Williamtown. 

The satellite seems to be showing what looks like a rather thin NW cloudband passing over the South of the state. It has been overcast since about 4:00pm. The clouds looked interesting when I was out around 6:00PM - a bit like mamatus, which was unexpected, but so far no rain.

Yeah Steve, what you just said must be the geographic "middle" of the coast- I'll take your word for it. The thing is though, most people see Sydney as being the middle because it's the capital and is very roughly in the middle. So south of Sydney is automatically the southern half of the coast. I can see and understand your confusion though.

I'm sure the same thing happens in Victoria. People would say the western half of the coast is west of Melb and the east is east of Melb, even though Melbourne is actually west of the imaginary centre line. The centre of the coast in Victoria is probably around Wonthaggi.

PS: I have the same amount of posts as the current year- 2015. This will likely never happen again! crazy

Edited by Sea-Mist (03/03/2015 20:59)
Edit Reason: Added PS

#1314867 - 03/03/2015 21:23 Re: NSW Day to Day Weather - July 2006 to December 2018 [Archive] [Re: Grant]
Homer Offline

Loc: Dural
Graham Creed said the cloud band is being pushed through NSW by the jet stream, and is the remnants of decaying West Australian thunderstorms.
.....and Steve777, I was out driving at that time as well and the cloud formations were quite a surprise. Even saw quite a reasonable size cu trying to get going. I too, also saw the mammatus, and also a few rain curtains looking west to the Blue Mountains.

Homer

#1314869 - 03/03/2015 21:26 Re: NSW Day to Day Weather - July 2006 to December 2018 [Archive] [Re: Grant]
Wave Rider Offline

Cheers Homer, have been wondering where the cloud came from all afternoon. I missed Graham Creed's forecast on ABC tonight, usually I watch it.

#1314874 - 03/03/2015 21:47 Re: NSW Day to Day Weather - July 2006 to December 2018 [Archive] [Re: Grant]
Steve777 Offline

Loc: Artarmon (Sydney North Shore)
Re 'middle of the coast' - a glance at the map puts the half way point close to Newcastle. I went by latitude. I interpolated the latitudes of Point Danger and Cape Howe and the half way parallel intersects Stockton Beach ESE of Williamtown.

A warm, cloudy night with light Easterlies here.

#1314915 - 04/03/2015 09:15 Re: NSW Day to Day Weather - July 2006 to December 2018 [Archive] [Re: Grant]
DaveM Offline

Loc: Bathurst NSW about 700 m asl
Eddy - stand in the sun on a cool morning and you won't notice it much. Also you will acclimatise fairly quickly.

We usually don't look for anything until around April and then only on especially cool mornings. ENJOY!! smile

Re the cloud yesterday arvo, we had stacks of interesting and wet looking cloud out here much of yesterday arvo. Probably a couple of showers around but it looked MUCH more spectacular and promising than it really was.

Very steamy out here yesterday arvo and evening but nothing out of it.

Going to be pretty warm out here again today, heavy sunshine and at least 30 degrees.

Just to get a bit more heat into me, I will prob head to Wee Waa for a quick overnighter on Saturday arvo. smile

SM - well spotted re the number of posts and no it won't happen (to you) again unless you post only once per year from now on. smile

My son arrived in Hobart for a visit this morning, looking at snow to around 900m overnight or tomorrow in the south of the state. Won't be heavy, will require being placed under the correct cloud at the correct elevation. smile

#1314916 - 04/03/2015 09:26 Re: NSW Day to Day Weather - July 2006 to December 2018 [Archive] [Re: Grant]
HumphreyBear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Southern Sydney
Well that "autumn" lasted all of one day, lol. Back to sultry and sticky this morning.

Re. the the NSW coast, even I (as a geography nerd) don't have a problem restricting the definition of South Coast to the former F6 tollgates southward. The road signs around Sydney also assume this definition.

You might even call the Newcastle- Central Coast-Sydney-Wollongong urban complex its own region- the Central East or similar- with the North and South Coasts taking up the remainder.

Climatically, the coast can be split up as follows:

Subtropical: Point Danger to Seal Rocks
Subtropical/Warm Temperate: Seal Rocks to Point Perpendicular
Warm Temperate:Point Perpendicular to Cape Howe

#1314922 - 04/03/2015 09:48 Re: NSW Day to Day Weather - July 2006 to December 2018 [Archive] [Re: Grant]
DaveM Offline

Mate!! don't you know that Newcastle/Sydney/Wollongong is EVERYTHING they ARE NSW (N/S/W).

At least that seems to be the mentality for a large part of the population!! smile

I always see Sydney as a significant Climactic divider on the coast. Look at the difference between the Central coast vs Illawarra, often VERY different.

Mouse stickiness and skin stickiness indexes very high out here today!! smile

Looking forward to a couple of sub 10 degree nights later this week. smile

#1314928 - 04/03/2015 10:43 Re: NSW Day to Day Weather - July 2006 to December 2018 [Archive] [Re: DaveM]
HumphreyBear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: DaveM
Mate!! don't you know that Newcastle/Sydney/Wollongong is EVERYTHING they ARE NSW (N/S/W).

At least that seems to be the mentality for a large part of the population!! smile

That old chestnut eh? smile.

I'd have to disagree about Sydney being a climate divide though, I think the climate of the NSW megaopolis is quite uniform, of course the Hunter is slightly warmer than Sydney and the Illawarra slightly cooler. The real divides are around Ulladulla and Seal Rocks. South of Ulladulla rarely gets hot for very long, whilst north of Seal Rocks rarely gets hot NW'lys or cold southerlies- i.e. a more stable subtropical climate.

Compare Batemans Bay with Nowra- the latter gets a lot more hot days. On the north coast, compare Willamtown with Taree at about the same distance. Taree is a lot more subtropical.

Edited by DrizzlyBear (04/03/2015 10:45)

#1314944 - 04/03/2015 12:39 Re: NSW Day to Day Weather - July 2006 to December 2018 [Archive] [Re: Grant]
EddyG Offline

Loc: Port Stephens NSW
Very humid here this morning, cloud has burned off.
Bom are thinking storms are a chance this afternoon about the upper Hunter, i would'nt be suprised to see storms along the coast as well, shear is ok, might even have a offshore lightshow!!
2019 YTD - 631.8mm

#1314948 - 04/03/2015 13:07 Re: NSW Day to Day Weather - July 2006 to December 2018 [Archive] [Re: HumphreyBear]
Blair Trewin Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: DrizzlyBear

That old chestnut eh? smile.

I'd have to disagree about Sydney being a climate divide though, I think the climate of the NSW megaopolis is quite uniform, of course the Hunter is slightly warmer than Sydney and the Illawarra slightly cooler. The real divides are around Ulladulla and Seal Rocks. South of Ulladulla rarely gets hot for very long, whilst north of Seal Rocks rarely gets hot NW'lys or cold southerlies- i.e. a more stable subtropical climate.

Compare Batemans Bay with Nowra- the latter gets a lot more hot days. On the north coast, compare Willamtown with Taree at about the same distance. Taree is a lot more subtropical.

Perhaps not the fairest of comparisons because coastal influence is also a major factor - for example, Bega has more 30+ days than Nowra (the two centres are similar distances inland but there's more topography to block seabreezes at Bega than there is at Nowra). The general point's still valid though.

#1314964 - 04/03/2015 14:06 Re: NSW Day to Day Weather - July 2006 to December 2018 [Archive] [Re: Grant]
DaveM Offline

I think the point I was making especially was about the narrow coastal strip. I suspect the differences inland are more gradual and highly influenced by elevation etc. smile

I know if I were to live on the coast of NSW, I would want to live no further north than the Gong. smile Seems to be a little cooler more often at the Gong and south thereof. For similar reasons, I think the Southern Highlands (climate wise) would be an excellent place to live. Proximity to sea breezes and enough elevation combine with "coastal" cloud cover to keep heat levels well down. smile

#1314967 - 04/03/2015 14:34 Re: NSW Day to Day Weather - July 2006 to December 2018 [Archive] [Re: Grant]
kizz Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Beacon Hill, Sydney 152m asl
An old colleague of mine moved to the Shetland Islands some years ago. Only through marriage mind. She was a die-hard Parra supporter so you can infer her roots; sweaty old western Sydney.

I imagine a couple of posters in here would be very happy if they were to become her neighbour.

#1314972 - 04/03/2015 14:59 Re: NSW Day to Day Weather - July 2006 to December 2018 [Archive] [Re: Grant]
DaveM Offline

Is she a good looking neighbour?? smile

Shetlands a long way from Parra.!! smile

Certainly somewhere I'd enjoy visiting. smile (as you may have already inferred.) smile

#1314975 - 04/03/2015 15:39 Re: NSW Day to Day Weather - July 2006 to December 2018 [Archive] [Re: DaveM]
Dr Philosophy Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Campbelltown, NSW

I know if I were to live on the coast of NSW, I would want to live no further north than the Gong. smile Seems to be a little cooler more often at the Gong and south thereof. For similar reasons, I think the Southern Highlands (climate wise) would be an excellent place to live. Proximity to sea breezes and enough elevation combine with "coastal" cloud cover to keep heat levels well down. smile

Same with me. Then again, I grew up in the Campbelltown area, where having access to both the Illawarra/South Coast & Southern Highlands is very handy for a day trip. smile

#1314978 - 04/03/2015 15:51 Re: NSW Day to Day Weather - July 2006 to December 2018 [Archive] [Re: Grant]
DaveM Offline

Great minds Doc!! smile

Very warm out here, around 29 or a bit more, an earlier max of 30.5.

Full sunshine out here, hopefully tonight should be about 11 or 12 (niiice)

tomorrow about 24 or 25, much better!! smile

#1314979 - 04/03/2015 16:00 Re: NSW Day to Day Weather - July 2006 to December 2018 [Archive] [Re: Grant]
HumphreyBear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Re Blair above, yes I realise Bega can get hot but as stated topography plays a huge role. Bega is quite cool at night thanks to that same topography, certainly cooler than the Shoalhaven. Rainfall patterns are quite different too, Ulladulla and points north get most of the heavy rain events. Not saying it can't happen further South (Moruya and Narooma have had some big floods), but it happens a lot less often down that way.

The Shetlands- too warm and wet in winter for me smile.

#1315011 - 04/03/2015 19:43 Re: NSW Day to Day Weather - July 2006 to December 2018 [Archive] [Re: Grant]
Wave Rider Offline

Newy/Syd/W'gong= NSW- I never noticed that, interesting observation Dave. smile

DB I would have to disagree with you and agree with DaveM. Sorry mate. My reasons being is that I live in Wollongong and I know that there is a huge climate difference between Wollongong and Sydney.

Take a humid summers afternoon for example, while we have low cloud Sydney may have sunny weather and be a few degrees warmer.

Also in winter, Sydney and areas further north up to the Hunter will commonly be under fog, while Sydney southwards is under brilliant sunshine.

Also, often anywhere north of the Sydney CBD, including the North Shore starts getting showers, heavier as you get further north and often with E to SE winds.

South of the CBD, you may start getting just cloud (rather than showers) and as you get into the Illawarra you may start getting NE winds and sunny breaks. As you go further down, the NEer strengthens and the skies get clearer, often sunny on the Far South Coast.

I think there is a definite climate shift in Sydney, but thats just my opinion.

#1315017 - 04/03/2015 20:05 Re: NSW Day to Day Weather - July 2006 to December 2018 [Archive] [Re: DaveM]
Wave Rider Offline

SM - well spotted re the number of posts and no it won't happen (to you) again unless you post only once per year from now on. smile

And you and I both know that won't happen!! Oh damn I'm on 2018 posts, will have to stop posting for 3 years now in order to achieve that again!! poke

See yas in 3 years everyone!!! poke Lol jokes! smile

-----------------------------------------------

Anyway, it was warm and humid today, unbearable in my maths room at school! At least you can be sure that a lot of the time on a day like this, you can be sure that a scumtherly is not too far away!! It should arrive around 8 or 9am in these parts, making for a much cooler day than today. smile

Also I am going camping with my dad on the weekend at a place called "Boneyards" near Bombo and it is about 1km north of Kiama AWS.
http://www.surfingatlas.com/spot/203

So I will be reporting from there on the weekend. smile

Page 876 of 1748 < 1 2 ... 874 875 876 877 878 ... 1747 1748 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
bradmac, Eager2beastormchaser, Go The Cows, Roland
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image