NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 16 of 154 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1160585 - 19/01/2013 19:29 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Leon Mow's seismo has shown some interesting movement today (Melbourne).
The 1st seismo readings is the operating one today. The second one on the page is yet to change over.
WA and NSW came up with tremors, like I thought they would.

#1160934 - 20/01/2013 15:53 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Here's a couple of the pics I took in the last 2 days re: the ribbed clouds I was rattling on about.
One of the pics is the tremendous 'splay' of cloud which barreled over, west to SE.
[img:left][/img]

Some of the other pics I have show very pronounced 'ribbing'.
I noticed that Leo Mow's seismo also displayed considerable 'activity' since the cloud formations appeared...but...the two may not be related...curious coincidence perhaps.

#1162063 - 22/01/2013 09:28 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

The Melbourne Uni seismo has recorded 'movement' in the Melbourne south east region (Gippsland) withing the last hour (window).
Note; Leon Mow's seimo automatically update every 5 minutes. The Melb. Uni seimo seems to need to be manually (refresh button) updated to read 'current' output on your screen.

#1168015 - 28/01/2013 12:36 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I'm back smile
Been busy with other things and keeping an eye on the weather situation in QLD - family there. Ex cyclone Ozzie has been a nightmare for all up that way (and NSW)....and the fires too - friends affected by those. Oz is having a nasty summer so far.

Anyway, currently compiling a new blog post and have noted the seismo activity on my two (local) favourite sites (links in above posts). Also watching various helicorders when I can.
There has been subtle activity, from what I can see and have noted, in Melbourne and elsewhere in Oz. Geoscience has only recorded two notable tremors in the last 7 days....?

....stay safe all dealing with weather and fire issues atm.

Cheers for now, Duck.

#1169115 - 30/01/2013 14:53 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

For those who may be interested, I am putting up in parts (Part 1, Part 2 etc.) an extensive list of posts on my blog for February.
I am having issues with my computer eek , so it's going on in parts (blog posts).
Just a note - I mentioned in my latest blog post that I felt that offshore Oregon (west of Roseburg) may experience a larger quake, and this has just occurred. It is relatively shallow at about 10kms deep.
February may be a busy time for quakes/tremors, I feel.
Cheers for now, Duck.

#1169256 - 30/01/2013 23:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
TheAnt Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Isn't the west coast of America fairly active anyway?

#1169260 - 31/01/2013 00:05 Re: Earthquakes [Re: TheAnt]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi TheAnt.
Yep the west coast is quite an active zone. What I meant by "February may be a busy time for quakes/tremors, I feel." is that worldwide, not just the US west coast, may experience a busier period of tremor activity. (If that's what you were referring to wink )
Heightened volcanic activity is going to add to the mix - with bumping up the number of tremors felt in many places.
It is going to be an 'interesting' and 'busy' year I feel.
Cheers, Duck.

#1170014 - 02/02/2013 09:44 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Santa Cruz Islands have been experiencing an incredible number of larger quakes recently and just now an M6.7. This latest quake has set off the buoy nearby - which is reading a 1 meter difference in height/depth of the water column.
This is, unfortunately, one of a couple of areas which I felt were going to be hot-spots of increased (magnitude size) tremors.
Lets hope (with limited knowledge of this last event, so far) that the island communities in this region are not being poorly affected.

#1170021 - 02/02/2013 10:17 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
edgeofthestorm Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Warragul, Vic
Admittedly I don't quake watch too closely, but I have noticed in the last few days there have been an awful lot of quakes between magnitude 5 and 7. Solomon Islands, Alaska, Chile.. It seems to be a lot more than usual anyway, is this a prelude to something quite a bit more significant do you think? Curious.

#1170023 - 02/02/2013 10:20 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Now...if I am reading the buoy (second buoy to go off) reading correctly, in the Coral Sea - near Australia, the buoy sensors read a short spike in height/depth of the water column before the quake struck...interesting. Could this be read as a precursor (albeit minutes) before the quake struck. Though, the challenge would then be (and painstaking), if we were looking for such precursors, to be intently watching all buoys for such pre-movements.

Hi Edgeofthestorm, The movements we are witnessing in the Pacific (east, west and in-between) are possibly displaying (in my amateur observation) a definite unrest in the plates. The Indian Ocean plate disruptions may continue as will the effects of volcanic activity around the world. The 'energies', however, all generally intertwined and somewhat related. The deep magma movements are moving energies all over the place and 'venting' in many places at the moment. The Kamchatka 'peninsula' in Russia is a good example - many of its volcanoes are simultaneously erupting, producing rivers of lava, no seen so voluminous before (to my knowledge).
I feel there are more larger movements to occur in 2013 as our planet continues to disperse such 'energies'.

Edited by duckweather (02/02/2013 10:29)
Edit Reason: extra

#1170187 - 03/02/2013 02:02 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Well you'll probably think I'm truly strange mentioning this, but (it is currently 1.55am here) I woke up suddenly a moment ago, after a 'cold' feeling of a larger EQ in Japan. I checked the feeds and to my 'shock' discovered Hokkaido (which I had mentioned as a particular area of 'feelings' I had for a larger quake - in my blog) has experienced an M6.9 (moderately deep) over 30 minutes ago...
Hope the communities there are ok. Will check more on this in the later morning.

#1170196 - 03/02/2013 09:42 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Japan Today has a good, concise article about this mornings quake in Hokkaido.
Very interesting how the region broadcast, via TV and radio, a pre-warning about the oncoming quake for the communities....enabling them to get out of some of their buildings and maybe attempt reaching higher ground, and so on.

Also, have a look at the interesting reading from the buoy number 52406 , still in active mode near Australia.

#1170204 - 03/02/2013 10:17 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
edgeofthestorm Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Warragul, Vic
Thank you for your explaination, duckweather. I'll keep watching with interest. With more quakes in the Solomon Islands, and now Japan, things are very active indeed. Looks like an interesting year is ahead..

#1170217 - 03/02/2013 10:56 Re: Earthquakes [Re: edgeofthestorm]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Cheers, edgeofthestorm wink I am an amateur observer, but very interested in the physics, chemistry and overall science of things. I tend to go on my intuition mainly, mixed with some knowledge of science. Not an expert by any means smile

Just regarding the 'energies' I mentioned above, this energy fluctuates,transfers, increases/decreases, alternates and so on. I feel this is one reason why we see 'clusters' of larger tremors, sometimes, on one side of the Ring of Fire, then an appearance of a 'cluster' of larger EQ's on the opposite side of the ROF (as an example of a 'zone') at a different time. Plate 'Push/pull', plate drift, sea-fore spreading, magma movement, weakening of 'points', and so many other 'things' influence (cause) all the EQ's/tremors happening.
Cheers, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (03/02/2013 11:00)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1170357 - 04/02/2013 11:07 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

The Santa Cruz Islands earthquakes have been relentless recently, which is a bit concerning, leaving you to wonder when it'll all settle or what the 'end' result is going to be.
As I type this, it is all 'quiet', which I find 'interesting', but also feel like I'm waiting for the next movement. Actually, worldwide the earthquake activity has 'quietened', which also leads me to feel that this is a momentary lull in movements.
I'm trying to find the article I saw in the last couple of days which perfectly describes what is happening around the Santa Cruz Islands.
The energy expended up till now, in the west of the Pacific, has been incredible. But I feel it will rev up again in the next 24 hours (if not sooner) (Note: don't take what I say here as precise 'predictions' - I could be very wrong).

Ahh, just found one of the articles I was referring to above re: Santa Cruz Islands and plate activity

Cheers, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (04/02/2013 11:09)
Edit Reason: spelling again

#1170365 - 04/02/2013 12:12 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

An interesting site to visit, which maps the latest earthquakes and volcanic activity is Volcano Discovery
Have a look at how many volcanoes are 'active' at the moment. Also zoom in on the region of the Santa Cruz Islands - many of the quakes are very close to the Tinakula volcano, which is in "minor activity or eruption mode" at the moment. The volcano is steaming and maybe 'spewing' some ash.

Meant to add article on Santa Cruz EQ's

Edited by duckweather (04/02/2013 12:16)
Edit Reason: extra

#1170400 - 04/02/2013 18:08 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Silly ol' Duck (me)....just realized that the quick looks I was having at the Global Incidents Map (quakes) was only recording the CSEM-EMSC Feed...therefore I was only visually reading a 'quiet' number of world quakes (isolated mostly to Europe).
blush
Now that I am not busy, I can take some time to research what else has been going in the earthquake world today.
Back to the drawing board...................

#1170454 - 04/02/2013 23:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I have been 'doing my homework', looking for the USGS quake feeds. It seems their site has 'crashed' (for about 24hrs? now) and no one can seem to get any info (?) about their usual feeds.
I've been perusing some US university links for their latest info - can't seem to gleen much current info yet - not sure if Texas has had an M4+ today - info thin atm.

#1170468 - 05/02/2013 00:41 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Gazr Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: East Perth WA
Thats weird, the USGS site seems fine to me.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/

#1170475 - 05/02/2013 07:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Gazr]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Gazr.
It was rather strange yesterday/last night. I was 'talking' to a couple of people in the U.S. last night, and they also observed some odd things with the same EQ feeds. There was even the same 'chat' about this going on other forums too.
Some thought it may have been because of hacking or ?
The USGS site could be visualized yesterday (you could get the site up - yes) but the list of tremors 'fed' out from their site was nothing for a while and a trickle till now. It appears that a 'number' of EQ's have been 'back-dated' now.
Some of 'comments' on some sites have been that their have been many more tremors (in the U.S., for example) - in that time - but have not been 'fed' out.
Cheers, Duck

Edited by duckweather (05/02/2013 07:05)
Edit Reason: spelling again

Page 16 of 154 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
aurbina1, Justin Case
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image