NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 85 of 154 < 1 2 ... 83 84 85 86 87 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1306908 - 10/02/2015 22:42 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi Perrywinkle and all.

Here’s to trying to remember some of the post I lost when my @#$#@ computer crashed earlier.

Yes, I agree that it would be nice if some sciency folks could also join in on the conversations regarding quakes etc. here. It would help with info sharing and knowledge, and may even correct some of my amateur observations.

There is some patterning of tremor activity in Oz. NSW tremors tend to happen in clustering in fairly predictable regions. SA tremors seem to occur in clusters in a shorter space of time and the general activity there, like WA, tend to be the location/s where Oz seems to have the most or consistent activity. SA’s tremor activity also usually occurs in some ‘usual’ locations, with the odd one cropping up way inland. NT quakes, though sporadic – not as regular, tend to come up in usual locations as well. I mention ‘usual’ as being regions where the most number of EQ activity has been recorded for Oz. Victoria has definite vulnerable spots for tremor activity and I am convinced that a couple of our quakes recently (Lilydale and Bayswater) were located on (unknown or unsuspected) extensions of known fault lines running near the Dandenong ranges and up from the Bay.

I have come to view some of Oz’s seismo’s with relative ease of reading actual movements on the Oz mainland. Some of them are very small and may not register as tremors publicly.
There is a difference in what registers as Oz local movements and reverberations from quakes in other countries and sometimes ocean regions. It’s all in the timing of the spiking or waving on the seismo readings. There are occasionally other influences on the seismo readings, such as atmospheric/weather. The influence on some of the EQ activity worldwide also comes from weather behaviours, plate and magma movements, solar activity etc. I don’t actually ‘see’ that some of these things working in isolation from each other – there can be an interconnection with some elements.
Some small movements do occur, but the exact location is sometimes difficult to pinpoint.
The U.S and Japan, for example, register every movement which occurs, from negative readings upwards. These public registers provide an interesting observation of all of the activity in these regions, where patterns of behaviours, warning signs and the potential types of movements and magnitudes may be suggested or pre-warned.

Australia is rather a laid back country, and in regards to EQ preparedness, most of us I’d imagine are not as well prepared as places such as Japan.
Though we sit in the middle of a plate, we are not out of the woods for the potential of a larger quake. History for Oz has recorded some sizable and damaging quakes in Oz recorded history. When we in Victoria were rattled by our M5.3 some time ago, many folks were surprised at the size of this shallow quake. There have been other quakes above M4 that I have felt in my 50+ years in Victoria which always have me remember that whether it’s Vic or any other state/territory in Oz, there are several general locations in Oz which may be potential locations for the larger tremors, with other less usual locations which could also throw up a rattler of a decent size.

One site I love to read regarding EQ history and reports of in Oz is the TROVE site. You can search for EQ’s which have been reported in Australia in our recorded times. One report which has me fascinated is that of Captain Rasmussen (I need to check his name and that of his ship) over 100 years ago, when he witnessed steam vents bellowing on the Victorian coast (volcanic) and the reports from folks of EQ’s that had the ground jumping around beneath their feet and so on. The EQ reports there are a reminder that Oz is capable of throwing up a sizable quake, which can cause property and personal damage.

We should all be prepared for earthquakes, tsunami’s and other potential life affecting occurrences. Even if the preparation is not ever required, it’s better to at least know that these things can happen on rare occasions.

This a rough version of what I lost in my computer crash earlier and some of it is incomplete.

Cheers, Duck.

#1306917 - 11/02/2015 00:03 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
The trove report of the volcanic island was interesting - I wondered if it really was steam, or perhaps something else (like spray, or methane gas).
I recently had the experience of sitting down for a rest during a bushwalk on the south coast, and idylly observing a low cloud over the ocean, which kept on dissappearing and re-forming. After about half an hour I realised it was happening a couple of minutes after a whale surfaced - the whale 'spout' was sufficient to seed a cloud. Under conditions like that, perhaps waves or even to small turbulence of an island would be sufficient to trigger condensation and hence that report.

#1307541 - 13/02/2015 20:36 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi all.

I think, perrywinkle, that the Captain said that it looked like intermittent rises of steam or smoke. His interpretation was one which had him very suspicious of it being a volcanic vent. He said it was on the shore-line of Victoria. I am trying to find the article at the moment.
Interesting what you saw during your bushwalk....makes you wonder what it was (steam rising).

I have been so distracted lately, that I am a little out of touch with the EQ happenings. Though generally speaking, the 'usual' locations are still cropping up with quakes, as it appears the energies helping produce the quakes and tremors is still fairly much isolating itself to these locations.

The Easter Island region hasn't come up with the quake I thought it may have, but some nearby locations, e.g. West Chile Rise, have come up with quakes instead.

Australia has surprised me a little, with only WA recording (as per Geoscience records) 2 tremors in the last week....??

I get a sneaking feeling we may see a short run of larger quakes popping up in the Pacific, maybe in China, maybe in the Mediterranean and maybe somewhere near/on/or around the Central American regions....could be very wrong folks.

I'll try and come up to speed with the quakes tomorrow.

For now, Duck.

#1307639 - 14/02/2015 08:46 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again and I hope you all enjoy Valentines Day.

The Northern Mid Atlantic Ridge has come up with an M7 at about 15kms deep. No tsunami has been advised. This quake does not surprise me in the least. The behaviour of the Atlantic Ridge has (to me) been hinting at a movement such as this. There have been movements erratically popping up in the Atlantic, and has me feeling like something was going to 'give' somewhere. I was being drawn to the northern Atlantic (with Iceland in the middle), and the South Sandwich Island (very general) region in the south. But the potential for more quakes (maybe M5 and up) could also come up anywhere down the Atlantic Ridge where there is a deviation in the north/south 'line' (perhaps).....will see.

The larger quakes (M6 and M6+) have started to pop up in the Pacific region, with Taiwan experiencing an M6+.

For now, Duck.

#1308096 - 15/02/2015 17:09 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Since the M7 in the north Atlantic yesterday, other locations in the Atlantic (including the South Sandwich Islands region) have come up with subsequent quakes around the M5 mark.
I felt this may occur, as whenever you get an M7 or more, the ridge or plate edge associated with the large quake becomes 'agitated' can throw off energies enough to rattle a nearby or distant spot.

Also, the way I see it, very large quakes can have the effect of rattling the planet as a whole or in vast regions, where the 'bones' of the crust may have been disturbed by the forces emanating from the larger quake/s enough to 'set-off' vulnerable spots or shift the plates enough to set off other EQ's/tremors in other locations, even on the other side of the planet. These larger quakes are what I call 'foundation rattlers'.

I can't get away from the feeling at the moment that there may either be another run of larger (M6, M7 or maybe higher) EQ's across the planet soon, or at least one or a couple of quite sizable quakes (even maybe up to M8)....I hope I am and could be wrong folks.

I also feel that a region which has been showing increased seismic activity over some time now, may go on to experience even up to an M6......Where am I thinking you may ask? Well one eye of mine is glancing at the regions surrounding/or periphery of Oklahoma and the other may be China or the Mediterranean. But I could be so wrong on this...pinch-of-salt. The other eye is very strained atm crazy and may have missed a region which is stealthily building to a solid movement.

WA in Australia seems to be the little hot-bed of activity for tremors atm. The rest of the states have been rather quiet so far.

In my mind, Central America's quakes are still marrying up with energy lurking around the Caribbean islands regions (along the northern regions of South America - from the west of Central America through to the islands north of Sth. America).

I also feel that there is still some subtle energy lurking around the west of the U.S. and Canada (and possibly up into Alaska) which could go on to produce some more quakes/tremors for these regions - maybe lots of small rattles on the west coast of the U.S.; some on the west coast of Canada and south coast of Alaska - with the odd M4+ popping up in all of those locations in the near term.

This may mean nothing, but a few locations also sticking with me atm are PNG, Solomon's, Japan to name a few (M4+'s)....???

For now, Duck.

#1308225 - 16/02/2015 07:45 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Good morning folks.

QLD came up with an M5+ this morning, with an after movement of M2.9. Many people across the state felt that on (the biggest) and was not dissimilar in nature to Victoria's M5+ some years ago.

Ironically, as I was doing my post yesterday, I was looking at the world map to see which areas were twigging at my mind's-eye and Qld and Vanuatu were in the picture (in my mind) but didn't mention them.

A while back I mentioned that felt an M5 was brewing for Oz, and QLD was about 4th my list of possibilities.

With all of the EQ activity to the north, NE and east of Oz (QLD particularly), it doesn't surprise me that a movement of some significance has occurred in a QLD region. This quake/s reminds us, as I have mentioned once before, that many parts of Oz are not immune to the potential of quakes.

For now, Duck.

#1308236 - 16/02/2015 09:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

There was M5.9 earthquake near Gayndah in 1883. So the location is not a surprise. Hopefully all are OK.

#1308238 - 16/02/2015 09:28 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: perrywinkle
There was M5.9 earthquake near Gayndah in 1883. So the location is not a surprise. Hopefully all are OK.

Also a M5.3 in 1935 - one death.

#1308266 - 16/02/2015 10:55 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi perrywinkle and all.

There is considerable energy, causing the quakes in QLD, Fiji, Solomons, Vanuatu and PNG, lurking around these regions at the moment. QLD has been aggravated (a fault line) by this energy, I feel.
There may be more to come, maybe not necessarily for QLD (but can't be sure on that of course) in these general regions. It seems to be a bit of a hotspot at the moment (around the regions I mentioned above) - some determined energy....

For now, Duck.

#1308430 - 16/02/2015 20:23 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
LightningGus Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Kingaroy QLD 434m ASL
Plenty of stories this morning at work from people being woken up by last nights quake here. Windows rattling, dogs going off and so on, I slept right through it myself poke . Would have been a fair bit bumpier at Eidsvold and Gayndah, surprising that I haven't heard of any damage on the news yet.

#1308453 - 16/02/2015 21:47 Re: Earthquakes [Re: LightningGus]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi GusO...lovely to see you here wink

I am a little unsure as to how populated the area of the epicenter of the main quake in QLD, and the after movements of which there were a few. I think there may be a low level of population directly on top of the epicenters. But please correct me if I am wrong.

Interestingly, and according to the epicenter locations pegged on the Geoscience website, after the main quake (M5+) the subsequent movements traveled in a NNE direction.

Now I could be wrong here, but I think there is a feature ('line' or minor trench???) leading in from the Coral Sea, passing through Hervey Bay and through to where the quakes occurred. This may be some sort of 'fault line'. I am wondering if this feature is relevant to todays quakes and possibly where pressures may be leaching through or being directed through from the Vanuatu/Fiji/New Caledonia regions...???? - where there seems to have been/is some solid plate activity going on.
Remember folks I could be absolutely wrong here - the above is just a feeling I have. I am not a scientist.

NSW also came up with a tremor today, after QLD's main quakes. I feel this one may have been in relation to energy driving or being behind QLD's quakes.

Another feeling I have is that the above-mentioned energy could have traveled to the west, across the top of Australia (top of the Australian Plate) - affecting quakes in the Bali and Banda Seas - which came up in succession in a westward fashion.

I feel that the overall energies driving these quakes is also coming from the south for the Indonesian quakes - meaning a possible combination of a NW/westerly push in the plates in the Pacific and a northward push of the Australian Plate (subducting?) under the Indonesian regions.....??

I hope I made sense with what I nattered on with in this post, sometimes what I see in my mind's-eye (as an amateur observer) doesn't always marry up perfectly with what I write smile

For now, Duck.

#1308536 - 17/02/2015 11:00 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hello folks - a quicky post for now.

I see that Japan and the South Sandwich Islands have had large quakes. I had a gut feeling this was going to happen unfortunately - as I mentioned in past posts.
No tsunami apparently for either region being stated as yet. But I wouldn't mind betting there has been some water disturbances - will have to wait for more reports to come in.

For now, Duck.

#1308550 - 17/02/2015 11:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just an update on my last post - a tsunami advisory is in place for Japan, but thank goodness it is not going to be a significant event according to this report - here

Duck.

#1309256 - 18/02/2015 20:02 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

The Pacific has been very active, with the SE and eastern regions also responding to the incredible movements in the western regions. Another region which may also respond to these movements is the coastal regions of western America and maybe Canada...but this remains to be seen.

Hawaii has now responded as well with an M3.9.

The M7 in the northern Atlantic, recently, seems to have been the beginning of the sequence of events (larger quakes) elsewhere.

Qld's earthquakes have been quite numerous, with one after movement being of an M4 size. This says to me that there was some quite serious movement happening there, for the movements to fluctuate up to an M4 in the middle of the movements was interesting - but perhaps not surprising to geologists?

NZ has also had some interesting movements. The Cook Strait finally came up with the quake I have been anticipating for some time now. I feel these EQ's are relevant to the determined energy (causing the larger quakes) in the Pacific west.

For now, Duck.

#1309263 - 18/02/2015 20:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

I ran out of time to edit above post.

P.S. An interesting science article - "Earth's surprise inside: Geologists unlock mysteries of the planet's inner core" - Phys.org
There may be a relationship between the booms heard around the world and this 'discovery', as well as the plates being shifted around.

Edited by duckweather (18/02/2015 20:16)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1312604 - 21/02/2015 22:11 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Japan's almost constant movements don't surprise me. There is still some concerted energy being driven into the east coast of this region. I am wondering if there may actually be another larger quake yet to occur for this region...but I hope not of course.

There has also been some persistent energy being driven around/into the regions around Samoa, Fiji, Tonga and north of NZ North Island (Kermadecs). This, I feel, may be the energy which is driving the Japan quakes.

The U.S. and Canadian west coast region came up with some quakes I was anticipating after Japan's recent large quake (a couple of days ago). Hawaii, again, I feel is 'caught' in the middle of all of the above mentioned activity, but generally (in my mind's eye) seems to correlate with what happens on the west coast of America. I think (feel) there may be a volcanic relationship with the U.S..

Central America and through to the Caribbean, seem to still be related in their movements (my feelings), and the west coast of South America is still consistently feeling movements.

Australia, I feel, is not out of the woods yet regarding tremors. SA has had a couple, NSW may have another and as an outside chance (and as if QLD has had enough to put up with this week with the cyclone) QLD's recent cluster locations may feel another small movement soon.

I was just about to say that Java, Indonesia, and nearby locations may come up with M4+'s - and one has just come up on the Global Incidents Map - EQ's.

Kamchatka region may come up with an M4+.

Norway and the other countries (to the south) may still go on to feel the odd small tremor in the next couple of weeks. I've got the Netherlands on the 'brain' atm - but may mean nothing.

All above - 'pinch-of-salt' folks wink

If I get time tomorrow, I might natter on about a couple of other regions on my radar atm.

Gotta go now.

Cheers, Duck.

#1313529 - 24/02/2015 22:48 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Hawaii is experiencing a series of small tremors, which I feel is a response (and maybe volcanic by degrees as well as...) to the larger and persistent plate and trench activity/movements in the Pacific.
Japan (Pacific plate) is still harboring some driving energy to produce several quakes off shore (east of Japan). Some of this energy snuck past Japan - to the west - in the Sea of Japan.

Generally the western side of the Pacific plate still seems determined to produce quakes with the countries from NZ - around the western side of the Pacific and up to near Kamchatka.

It seems to me that coming up from the southern half of the globe that there may be some energy pushing into, under or near the Himalayas, Mediterranean, Gulf of Aden and Arabia, and around the Gibraltar region.

Back into the Atlantic, the ridge running the full length of the Atlantic, and in its more vulnerable spots (bends where plates meet in a general east/west/horizontal angle) are still also harboring energy to cause quakes.

The U.S., at this moment, is moderately quiet, though they still are feeling some small tremors along the west coast, in Oklahoma, one in Utah, and there have been at least 5 explosions registered with the USGS (quarry blasts?) along the west coastal regions (NW) which have registered seismic readings.....

An interesting small tremor came up in the Canadian Rocky Mountains, south of Calgary. M1.8 at 3+kms deep. I think this may be an unusual one and I will be watching the Rocky's for a while.
The Grand Canyon is back on my (mind's eye) radar for some reason. May all mean nothing.

Russia (Buryatiya) - near the elongated waterway, is still moving sporadically.

NSW cmae up with the tremor I was anticipating, as has SA. More to come sporadically......including some chance in WA, Vic and possibly Qld. Tassie may have a small chance of a tremor....but not sure of course.

For now, Duck.

#1313595 - 25/02/2015 10:45 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks (another quicky post wink )

There is still some energy sneaking up and around the west coast of the U.S. and Canada. This may culminate in another M5 for the west coast of either country.
Northern California,on the west coast of the U.S. has just had an M3+ and this tells me that the energy may be building for a possible M5 in either or both of these regions. I may be wrong.

Hawaii is definitely feeling a cluster of tremors atm. In my mind's eye, this is related to (but not exclusively) that energy on the U.S. west coast. And is generally volcanic in nature/source. combined with possibly plate movements.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (25/02/2015 10:46)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1313812 - 25/02/2015 22:19 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Didn't think I was imagining things this morning'

" 'Once in a lifetime' daytime meteors h...nce - ABC News"

Back tomorrow folks. Duck

Edited by duckweather (25/02/2015 22:20)

#1314075 - 27/02/2015 16:25 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

The movements in Australia I was anticipating are occurring. The eastern state regions (NSW and VIC) have felt tremors, the energy for which has 'traveled' south (having also come in from the east'ish) to Victoria.
See Geoscience Australia
To my current knowledge, QLD hasn't registered another tremor yet. I said that Tassie may also come up with a tremor, but that hasn't happened as yet.

The west side of the Pacific energy is covering a large distance. This has been quite unsettled for some time now. I said a few posts ago that I felt a larger quake may pop up and I still feel there is a chance of this happening.

The western Himalayas -> all the way over and through to the west of the Mediterranean is very active at the moment, with energy coming in from a couple of directions.

The west coast of the U.S. and Canada are 'teasing' with tremors which seem to be subtly increasing in size.

The NE of the Indian Ocean is active, as are the ocean and land regions associated with the west coast of South America.

NZ is feeling a few niggles (quakes) and they may feel another M4+ soon.

Africa has had an M5 in the last couple of days in the Congo region.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (27/02/2015 16:26)

Page 85 of 154 < 1 2 ... 83 84 85 86 87 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 57 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
caffeinated, Chaser_James, coffeeman, rhyso, Shear-iously
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529242 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image