NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 19 of 154 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1174512 - 22/02/2013 10:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Rolling thunder]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Yes and south of WA (ocean) had a reasonably sized shallow quake too.
Vic (Echuca), north of Bendigo, had an M3 after midnight this morning.
Watch for more to come here and there.

#1174999 - 23/02/2013 10:00 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just a recap of the last 7 days for tremors reported on the GeoScience website -
Western Australia, South Australia, Victoria, Tasmania and New South Wales have all recorded several M2+(+)'s.

The seimo's on Melbourne Uni's and Leon Mow's websites are recording current movements, which may be (Leon's particularly) recording reverberations from Santa Cruz Islands earthquakes - which have revved up again in the last 14 or so hours.

Peru is currently experiencing multiple earthquakes in the M5 region.

Cheers for now, Duck wink

#1175064 - 23/02/2013 13:21 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just thought I'd a few more EQ links to the above ones I've mentioned.
Many of the NZ tremors don't show up on the Global Incidents Map = Earthquakes

Geonet quakes New Zealand

South Australia - recent tremors

Australian EQ News - eastern states

European/Medditeranean

Current PSN Seismicity - including US states and Australia

British Isles This appears to not be showing the very latest movements (last 36 hours or so)

LISS - worldwide heliplots

I'm sure I've got some very specific regional (in various countries) links in my 'files' somewhere. When I find them, I'll add them too wink

Cheers, all - Duck.

#1175355 - 23/02/2013 22:55 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

The east of Timor just had a near M6 (varying readings of depth from 35kms to 80kms)...I am guessing our friends in the Northern Territory (particularly Darwin) may have felt that one too?
Our Melbourne seismos picked it up quite distinctly.

#1175524 - 24/02/2013 08:43 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Ok..some of you may think "whatever" or "get a life" Duck grin ,but anyways - I noticed subtle ground movement in my daggy seismo and on Melb. Uni's seismo in the hours before Melb.'s SE M2.6 (near Moe) at about 2am this morning. Call me strange, but I could also faintly here 'rumbles' here and there (or was it one of my son's friends 18th's 2 suburbs away poke )
I had a gut feeling something was brewing for the SE last night, and actually thought it was going to be more of an M3+?
Cheers, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (24/02/2013 08:44)
Edit Reason: spelling again

#1176151 - 25/02/2013 11:56 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Simultaneous EQ's of Alaska and Hokkaido, Japan of M5+'s.
Alaska's is in the northern end of the ocean, SW of the Gulf of Alaska - can't make out an undersea volcano or a 'crustal' or trench (etc.) join atm - very curious.

Both quakes at same depth apparently.

Edited by duckweather (25/02/2013 11:58)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1176165 - 25/02/2013 12:11 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Very curious...the Global Incidents map has one of these quakes registered near Alaska and nothing (at the moment near Japan), and another global EQ map has both earthquakes east of Japan in a similar region and nothing near Alaska...????
confused

#1178748 - 01/03/2013 10:31 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

The quake in the Kuril Islands, 9 hours ago, has so far not been followed by aftershocks. This a similar occurrence to the one in South America recently (also an M7).
Interestingly, before the Kuril's quake was registered with various agencies, three buoys along the Aleutian Island chain (middle to the west of), went into event mode (and are still so). A minor quake occurred on the Aleutian chain, but I would have thought (to my limited knowledge) not enough to have set 3 buoys off. (it had me thinking that the buoys may have been registering sea floor movement before the quake???)
This quake was fairly shallow at between 50 and 60 kms, and no tsunami watch or alert was raised.

For our South Australian friends, check the link I put in a previous post for the tremors which have been pooping up in your state. There have been a few.

Santa Cruz is still being rattled intermittently, and I get a gut feeling that during March we may see another larger quake there, and another substantial EQ involving the Ring of Fire.

Also I get a feeling that we may see a larger inland quake in a region where the buildings are not earthquake safe (Mediterranean, Middle East..????).

Anyway, I will compile another EQ post for my blog when I get a chance.

Cheers, Duck.

#1179059 - 02/03/2013 09:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just re-read my last post.
Dear SA, you are not "pooping up" with tremors atm. blush grin My goodness - you would have some uncomfortable issues if this was actually happening for you.....
My friends, instead you have tremors popping up here and there.

Anyway....The Kuril Island region has come up with 'aftershocks' - big'ns.
But here's something I am sometimes left wondering.....Many a time the word/s "aftershocks" is used to 'explain' the expression/occurrence of a subsequent ground shake. Sometimes these movement are larger than the previous one. When this occurs, some say the previous (smaller [though moderately sized]) one was a fore-shock.
But I sometimes feel that in some circumstances, the related (by location) quakes can actually be 'new' events and not actually an after-niggle of the same/exact disturbed location. Though one movement in a plate/fault can trigger a neighborly agitation.
Obviously tremors/quakes and movements can also be caused by other irritation bodies, such as volcanoes, magma movements/migration, meteorite/asteroid impacts, gas and other 'substance' disturbances etc., and I feel (without proving this yet) that the Kuril's quakes are possibly volcanic related (as well as plate).

Cheers Duck....

#1179360 - 02/03/2013 19:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Now this story might be for a new thread again, but I'll put it here for the moment.

I was looking up some info on EQ's and sinkholes, when I came across this incredible article, where the heading speaks for the article itself and the horror a Florida family has endured.
From The Miami Herald - Florida man vanishes after being sucked into a sinkhole under his bedroom

#1180781 - 05/03/2013 18:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Many of you may already be aware that the lower SW of Western Australia is experiencing somewhat of an earthquake cluster, M2+'s.

#1180985 - 06/03/2013 11:26 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just thought I'd jot down a little 'last 30 days' tremor trivia for you.
GeoScience Australia has officially recorded approx. 55 earth tremors around Australia;

Western Australia - 34 tremors
New South Wales - 5 t's
Victoria - 3 t's
South Australia - 9 t's
Northern Territory - 2 t's
Tasmania - 2 t's

...more to come...

#1181664 - 07/03/2013 21:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

This article is quite gobsmacking and I had to read it twice to get the full angle of it - or maybe it was my heat headache dumbed me down a bit so reading it twice was necessary....

"Tectonic plates moving again - will South America split away from Central America?"

The Santa Cruz Islands EQ's/plate 're-arrangement' has been quite concerning and substantial, so the above article may help piece things together and/or give a bigger picture on what may be happening in the Pacific.

#1181731 - 08/03/2013 01:57 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Grant Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Greta NSW, 70m ASL
Heard on the radio (havent checked geoscience - net is down) & it appears there was a tremor (2.5) off the coast of Newcastle ~1130 on thu 7/3 at a depth of 22km. Didnt feel anything here, not that I would expect to given its small magnitude!

Edited by Grant (08/03/2013 02:00)

#1181764 - 08/03/2013 07:53 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Grant]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Grant,
Yep, you're right. If it had been shallower again, say 0-10kms deep, you may have felt a slight rumble (just guessing), and perhaps if it was more on land. But that's not to say no-one felt it maybe.
If you look at the "last 30 days" of the GeoScience records of tremors on Oz, it is interesting to see there are some spots which experience quite regular trembles. Then you get some areas that crop up 'out-of-the-blue'.
If you ever think the ground is moving, but are not sure, put a glass of water on a firm surface, where there is no disturbance from anything else moving (preferably for quite a distance - at least a few hundred metres from roads etc., for example), and look for ripples and sways in the water's surface. Sometimes I've picked up on tremors before, during and after they occur, that way. You can also sometimes pick up vibrations from EQ's in the Pacific and elsewhere.
As far as my daggy seimo (other gadget) is concerned - back to the drawing board, as my cat, Krazy Kelly, trashed it.
Cheers for now, Duck wink

#1181798 - 08/03/2013 10:32 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
KevD Offline
Occasional Visitor

Loc: Bellingen NSW 2454
Originally Posted By: duckweather
This article is quite gobsmacking and I had to read it twice to get the full angle of it - or maybe it was my heat headache dumbed me down a bit so reading it twice was necessary....

"Tectonic plates moving again - will South America split away from Central America?"

The Santa Cruz Islands EQ's/plate 're-arrangement' has been quite concerning and substantial, so the above article may help piece things together and/or give a bigger picture on what may be happening in the Pacific.

Love your work but anything on a site called "The Extinction Protocol: 2012 and beyond" surely has to be taken with a grain of salt. Nice to see the 'and Beyond' but - assume it was added when the world did not finish on 21/12/12 smile
The world is a constantly moving and changing living planet - as such then for sure it will continue to evolve - earthquakes happen because the plates are moving - but pseudo terror stories like that one do little IMHO to actually move an intelligent debate forwards.

#1181821 - 08/03/2013 11:26 Re: Earthquakes [Re: KevD]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

wink Cheers Bello Boy.
I always maintain an open mind with anything that is written or described in the media, internet etc..
There are so many curious articles 'out there' that one may not find in the mainstream media, and I read them then make up my own mind what I make of them.
And yes, the world is constantly changing and always will. But there are times when the physical aspect of our planet throws up some interesting events. When one reads through the various interpretations of these events, there can be some stunning reminders or confirmation (or new info) as to how vulnerable we can be to Mother Natures' behaviour and the implications for us.

Thankyou for saying your like the stuff I mention here. I wish I had more time to devote to educating myself more about the sciency aspects of this planet/EQ's. Actually I wish I had changed from one Uni degree to a science one many moons ago. I'm just a happy amateur. wink

#1181824 - 08/03/2013 11:31 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
KevD Offline
Occasional Visitor

Loc: Bellingen NSW 2454
Thanks Duck, like I said I love your work on here and enjoy your posts, so please keep them coming smile

#1181826 - 08/03/2013 11:36 Re: Earthquakes [Re: KevD]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Double blush

Cheers.

#1182305 - 09/03/2013 22:21 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Rather than prattle on here - have a look at this article, which is about "goce-now-known-as-worlds-first-seismometer-in-space"

This a very interesting article and within it has a video of what they describe re: Goce.

Cheers, Duck.

Page 19 of 154 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 58 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
annair, marestails, Quasar, typhoontim
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image