NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 27 of 154 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1195495 - 24/05/2013 15:57 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ruckle Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Woodend VIC 579m ASL - where w...
Brother just emailed me a reasonable shake where he is at Sakhalin in Russia. Unlike last time when he sent me an email and I posted it in here this one is not repeatable. He says it lasted longer than the one from the Kurils he reported previously.

#1195497 - 24/05/2013 16:12 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Ruckle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
This was a doozy Ruckle.
I just got home to see the seismo's and EQ maps.
I'm not surprised your brother's email content is unrepeatable.
Will have a look to see if this has volcanic activity relationship and any other info.
The ROF regions and the plates under Oz, New Zealand and in the Indian Ocean have been very active today. It left me with a rather uneasy feeling. There has been some serious movement.

#1195504 - 24/05/2013 16:37 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

3 volcanoes have a current eruption status (lava dome growth noticed earlier this week) and are spewing lava. These volcanoes are on the eastern flank of the Kamchatka Peninsula, and the M8.2 quake was on the western side of the Peninsula.
This was a very deep quake (crustal/plate movement) with the shift felt almost worldwide.
We, here, still have subtle vibrations being recorded on seismo's.
As I type this, the Southern Mid-Atlantic Ridge has just come up with an M6.5 and Southern California an M4.7.
This alot of larger movement for one day....

Edited by duckweather (24/05/2013 16:40)
Edit Reason: update

#1195510 - 24/05/2013 17:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just another note...Southern California's M4.7 is on the plate boundary - see maps/location here

Japan Meteorological Agency and other agencies have not, at this stage, issued a tsunami warning for Kamchatka, Russia.
Water disturbances can be expected though to some degree.

The southern mid-Atlantic ridge EQ (info) I mentioned earlier, has been removed from one site, bit it is still listed here.
Note: this quake has been removed from records

Edited by duckweather (24/05/2013 17:18)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1195514 - 24/05/2013 17:34 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

(...gosh you're gonna get sick of me and my posts here smile...)

... HERE are some testimonies/comments from some Russian folks regarding their large quake today. To see them in English (translated), place your cursor over the top of the Russian text for instant Google translation.

#1195539 - 24/05/2013 21:03 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

There are several buoys displaying event mode - Alaska, along the Aleutians and south of Kamchatka. Hawaii is also showing event mode.
I have been viewing the live cam 'from' the Sheraton in Maui for a while, and the water line there seems definitely to be higher than 'normal'. There are some surges almost into the edges of the resort there. Hopefully this is as high as it goes.
Maui webcam

National Data Buoy Centre

#1195584 - 25/05/2013 11:06 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just a few stats here for the last 7 days for these regions;

California has experienced over 950 tremors (including the M5+ yesterday) in the last 7 days.

Alaska and the Aleutian Islands have experienced approx. 430 tremors.

The Kamchatka's have had approx. 81 EQ's, nearly all M4+'s.

Hawaii approx. 21 tremors.....

Will add more soon, as my computer is playing up atm.

#1195610 - 25/05/2013 15:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Below is a report by Erik Klemetti is an assistant professor of Geosciences at Denison University, regarding the earthquake swarm near Greenville, California.

Earthquake swarm, Greenville, California.

and...a report from the St. Petersburg Times regarding the M8+ Kamchatka EQ.

Kmachatka quake effect on Moscow

The Mid-Atlantic Ridge did come up with an M5+ today. There must have been a ghost with a premonition regarding the same size quake to register there yesterday, but the report was subsequently removed from record.

Also, Macquarie Island came up with another (10km deep) M5+ today.

The general Mediterranean region is still experiencing tremors, with the occasional 'offshoot' tremor being recorded in Poland, France for example.

Greece across to Uzbekistan (covering Turkey and surrounding countries) are experiencing mild tremors, with some larger ones occurring sporadically in Iran, Turkey, Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan.

The Global Incidents Map has changed and I am finding it harder to read, unless it is my annoying computer tossing up some strange lurgies.

For the moment, Duck.

#1195725 - 26/05/2013 18:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

As I had felt a few posts ago, near Easter Island has come up with an M5. As has the region above Australia, near East Timor (this quake was just south of the plate edge).
Eastern Uzbekistan has come up with an M6.
The California regions I have been watching are still rumbling with small tremors and spikes of slightly larger tremors (e.g. M3 and M3+).
I occasionally watch the Yellowstone National Park live webcam. On several occasions I have witnessed tremors going off there and today, at one point before sundown, the vents and geysers went off all over the place. At that point many of the people admiring the spectacle smartly moved away from their viewing vantage points. It looked as if they were concerned for their safety.
Macquarie Island has had several M5's in the last couple of days, which appears to me to be some quite consistent movement, which if it continues, it may gravitate towards Tassie and the SE + southern states (not sure - an amateur observation).
More soon....Duck.

#1196021 - 28/05/2013 10:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Since my last post, the lower parts of Oz have come up with some interesting jitters on the seismo's.
Victoria (NW of CBD) and Hawker in SA (and near Adelaide? can't get up a visual of the seismo reading and exact location), and WA have shown some interesting 'spikes' and tremors, some of which have not shown up on Geoscience yet.

I actually felt a 'deep' slight rumble here in the outer east yesterday arvo. But you needed to be sitting in a quiet place to hear and feel it. I still feel there may be some 'energy' emanating from the plate movements below Tassie (Macquarie Island regions) and SW/WSW of WA and maybe, just maybe, Bass Strait.

I was just about to say that Georgia (Russia) may come up with an M5+, and as I was typing this post, this has happened.

Global Incidents Map - EQ's

More soon, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (28/05/2013 10:51)
Edit Reason: spelling again

#1196135 - 28/05/2013 23:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Koorda, in Western Australia, is experiencing something of a quiet earthquake swarm.
I found this article regarding a study of earthquake swarms in Australia - with data relating to 41 earthquake swarms between 1983 and 2007. I found the information within this article very interesting and thought some of you might too.

School of Earth and Geographical Sciences, University of Western Australia

My feeling about this earth tremor swarm in Koorda is that it may be indicative of a potential occurrence of a larger tremor for this region. The largest tremor, which occurred in the centre of this cluster so far has been an M3+ (if I remember correctly) and there is a chance that this M3 may be the 'main' tremor, with the smaller tremors being 'for-' and 'after-' shocks. Time will tell.

I also get a feeling that the Atlantic Ocean region may come up with some moderate movements, maybe near the Canary Islands/Funchal Islands; west of Spain/Portugal?; NE of Sth. America? and/or the Sth. Atlantic Ocean. A timeframe maybe from now till into early next week - not sure about of this of course - they are just feelings folks.

There are more regions I refer to in the notes I am compiling for June for my blog. When I have finished these notes, I'll post them on my blog.

Cheers for now, Duck.

#1196183 - 29/05/2013 11:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

For tremors registering formally in South Australia, see the DMITRE Minerals page here

For a list of all of the Koorda, WA, tremors for the last 7 days as recorded by Geoscience, go here.

For the Geoscience list of the last 30 days of Australian tremors recorded by them go here.

Cheers, Duck.

#1196188 - 29/05/2013 11:35 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I meant to add this site from Japan, which displays all of the seismo stations in operation across their region.
If you click on a blue dot (station), information on the seismo is available. The red dots (stations) don't have current info to display.

NIED F-NET Japan

There have been, what I will term as, 'pulses' intermittently running in 'blocks' through a seismo (NE of Melb. CBD) in recent times, and in the last 24 hours. My take on this is that it could be due to shifting movements periodically occurring in a couple of our faults. It could also mean intermittent movements from a distance in the plates around Oz. Have a look here Some of the 'blocks' have been very distinctive as a pattern in the near past.
This subtle behaviour can also be seen on a couple of the S.A. seismo's too.

As I said once before, the earth is not a static entity and many of these pulses and subtle movements be par for the course for our living planet.

#1196240 - 29/05/2013 17:44 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

"Earthquake shakes homes in North Wales" - Sky News

Here's an interesting list of significant earthquakes in the British Isles since...wait for it....21/5/1382
Significant EQ's British Isles recorded since 1382

I had a feeling that somewhere in this very general region of the Atlantic (this quake was actually the Irish Sea) that one of the quakes to arise was to be in an 'unexpected' location...

#1196264 - 29/05/2013 19:29 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

#1196279 - 29/05/2013 20:42 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Arnost Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I wonder how they got that English list together - the magnitudes and depths, and even the coordinates are WAY too precise. Does not feel right.

And this of course applies to scientific principles. Never compromise these. Never! [Follow the science and you will be shown correct in the end...]

#1196286 - 29/05/2013 21:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Arnost]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yeh Arnost, it surprised me a little too.
If you click on the links (dates highlighted) you can read the history of how they attained such info.
Considering that managing to gain the coordinates/depths/magnitudes with any accuracy is a fairly modern exercise, it is amazing how they can come up with such for dates such as those back to the 1400's.
Maybe they assessed the recorded info from those times - e.g. damage caused; what the structures were made of; intensity and behaviour of the movements generated; people lost; water/sea behaviours; land changes (landslides, splits, sinking etc.);length of tremors/EQ's; how far the movements were felt and so on......and then tabulated the whole 'picture' and compared such to the same or similar impact of today's EQ impacts.....just a guess.

I find it fascinating wink

#1196366 - 30/05/2013 11:45 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Xavo Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Airlie Beach & Brisbane
I think you're on the money there Duck. Those numbers may very well be arbitrary numbers based on recorded damage, people's perception of the EQ (surviving diaries and whatnot), knowledge of where fault lines would've been around those times etc.

While I would take each of the older recordings with a grain of salt, I'm willing to bet they aren't too far off the mark. I doubt BGS would publish such things if they weren't comfortable with it.

#1196370 - 30/05/2013 12:23 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Xavo]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I agree Xavo. For them to publicly declare such info, they would need to pretty sure of what they have written.
Imagine what Australia would have been like in the 1400's and what the native peoples would have witnessed regarding earthquakes, volcanoes etc.....I'm sure the Aboriginals may have recorded through stories and paintings some very interesting happenings.

Anyways, I have put up part 1/3 of my ramblings on my blog.

Cheers, Duck.

#1196375 - 30/05/2013 12:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

There seems to be a faint tremor (?) going through here atm. My dogs have been also standing on the edge of the decking looking south....
We'll see if this is a jitter emanating from the south, east or NE or north of Oz or if it is a local jitter.

Page 27 of 154 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Billies ride, Jayson Black, NeedMoreLightning, slipperyfish, supercellwish1
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image