NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 30 of 154 < 1 2 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1199675 - 18/06/2013 20:11 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
GDL Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Bowen Mountain NSW
D.W, had a look at Etheopia on google earth,its is a very active place.The cradle of mankind and lots of other things that must keep life very intereresting for the locals. ....GDL

#1199737 - 19/06/2013 10:01 Re: Earthquakes [Re: GDL]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Yeh GDL...there are some amazing things in places like Ethiopia and so many others that generally we don't hear about unless we research them, like the rift zones, active geological changes and so on in Ethiopia, and the effects of such on surrounding countries and seas too...

Another thing I am discovering, when I get the time to look, is the amount of mining and sourcing of earth's riches which goes on in the world...astounding.
For information's sake, I found this blog (article dated in 2010) about the The Geology of Ethiopia - interesting..

Another interesting net info find was the Afar Rift Project - HERE . Have a look at the Y/T video which is near the top of this page - "Fast and Furious: Witnessing the birth of Africa's new ocean" - uses GeoVisionary software by BGS (good description under Y/T video on Y/T itself)

Also, I mentioned Japan may become more active again, and HERE you can see there has been a little lull movements there for about 24-36 hours, and now is quietly starting up again.

Anyways...cheers, chilled Duck...it was freezing here this morning.

P.s. Mount Rat in South Australia may have just had an M2+

Edited by duckweather (19/06/2013 10:04)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1199776 - 19/06/2013 13:41 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

NSW's M2 today was epicentered just west of Gunning...on the Hume Highway.

#1200070 - 21/06/2013 09:35 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Melbourne's M1.? was sharp, short and with a 'bang' as it has been described by some...
If you are in this region, look at the sky. The clouds are very interesting and there have been some trails of sorts originating from/to that general direction.
You're probably going to think Duck is going dippy or the freezing temperatures have numbed her brain smile but here's a couple of obscure thoughts...and I am probably completely off the mark here...apart from this movement being more than likely a tremor (there has been a thought that it may have been a quarry blast), I can't get the word 'meteorite' out of my head atm. Just a left-of-centre, crazy, loopy idea, yes...
We'll see what caused the 'bang'...I may be completely wrong here...

#1200209 - 21/06/2013 22:16 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just a link for responses in Italy regarding their M5+ and aftershocks - Northern Italy

Cheers, Duck

#1200276 - 22/06/2013 10:28 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yesterday, Melbourne's outer east had an M2.2 (upgraded from the M1.5 originally reported) emanating from the Lilydale region.

As many of you may know, I usually observe clouds formations before, during and after tremors/EQ's.
Now, what I noticed from yesterday's clouds were;
1. a large fanning out of cloud from a pivotal point towards the Lilydale region,
2. A few 'vertical' clouds dotted over/near the Dandenong Ranges, due east from here, and some in the general east region, after the tremor.

For me, these clouds caught my attention. I do also understand that some may think this is a lot of hocus-pocus, and that's fine smile
This and a couple of other things I noticed dissipated as the day wore on. This cloud behaviour is reminiscent of the same sort of things I have observed before, during and after other tremors/quakes here, in Indonesia, Japan, China, Haiti, the US and so on. (My observations of the overseas countries have been mostly through photos and reports by locals and scientists on the net). I have personally seen some in New Zealand, Australia and Fiji, and when flying over the oceans towards the islands mentioned.

I am going to do a new post, with pics and info from around the globe (including from scientists + other observers), for my blog, regarding EQ/tremor clouds/atmospheric conditions before, during and after such.

Cheers, Duck.

#1200299 - 22/06/2013 11:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

To add to my last post, I thought I'd clarify when I saw the various cloud formations yesterday....
Lilydale's tremor occurred at about 7am. I didn't see what preceded the tremor, cloud wise. But after the tremor for many hours, there was a fan-shaped cloud formation (similar to my photo below) with the point originating in the region of Lilydale.

The cloud emanating from the 'horizon-point' were more shaped like arms, rather than feathered.

During the afternoon and late in the evening I noticed vertical clouds like in the picture below forming (a couple before my eyes) and staying in the one loctaion - not moving.

Photo below - courtesy of www.earthquakesignals.com - Zhonghao

The clouds, similar to the ones in the second photo, occurred in the direction of north to south/south to north towards/leading away from the tremor epicenter. There were also 'horizontal' strips of cloud 'pointing' to a vertical one east of here.

Now, make of this 'info' what you wish, but I feel (with absolutely no scientific qualification or proof) that the latter may have been post-associated with the Lilydale tremor. I do have further thoughts on why (fault line jitter), but I don't feel I am qualified to say so and I may be wrong with my observations.

Cheers, Duck.

#1200438 - 22/06/2013 22:48 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

We've just had another EQ M3.2 (at this stage) in Mansfield. I felt a slight vibration through the floor here.
Geoscience

#1200544 - 23/06/2013 12:20 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

G'day folks.
I've been watching this seismo on and off since early this morning. Why? you wonder smile Well, I had a strong feeling that Melbourne was going to continue to experience jitters in one or a couple of faults, due to the nature and number (2 so far, in moderately quick succession as registered with Geoscience, and in the general regions I have been 'observing' in the last day or so).
I had a feeling that there was/is more to come on the tremor front (even small jitters). At one point I felt that Vic may be even in for a moderate tremor maybe in the east and/or in the SW of Vic and/or on or near the border (either side) with SA.
Anyway, will wait and see if any more jitters do occur in the next 24 hours or so.

Cheers, Duck.

#1200968 - 24/06/2013 17:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Got home just in 'time' to witness Benalla's tremor happen in the east - Geoscience
As I said in my last post, I felt that the east of Vic was possibly going to experience another tremor - I felt the 'signs' were there.
The ground here was ever so faintly moving (extremely subtle rocking) just a few minutes ago. You had to be in a very quiet place, watching the surface of a full cup of water.

Another thing I noticed this arvo, was a huge expanse of ribbed clouds to the SW.

There may be a chance that we haven't seen the end of tremors in Vic. Just maybe.....

#1200978 - 24/06/2013 18:08 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Sorry South Oz and Canberra/NSW blush I meant to add in my last post that you too have been experiencing some movements as well, particularly Mt Rat, Robe, Strathalbyn, Adelaide and a couple of others which have skipped my mind atm.
I'm sure WA has had some jitters as well.

#1201079 - 25/06/2013 08:42 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Northern Mid-Atlantic Ridge M6.4 (->M6.6) is exactly where I prattled on about the Atlantic in Parts 1, 2, and 3 of my Blog for June. The Atlantic was sticking with me, with the words Atlantic and Atlantis (meaning water related behaviours) nagging at me for potential notability in June..

It appears that this EQ registered slightly on our seismo's in Oz...example here

For the moment, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (25/06/2013 08:47)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1201423 - 26/06/2013 22:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

There seems to be a notable increase in tremors in the general California regions, Nevada and down to near Brawley (lower California) - 100 in the last 24 hours as recorded by the USGS

I have noticed that there has been a subtle increase in tremors in the mountain ranges, into Nevada for example.
The San Andreas Fault (between Los Angeles down to east of San Diego) has had (and is) a 'cluster'; then sporadically dotted up the coast, inland and further east (an increase here) associated with other lesser faults.
This increase may be a precursor to a larger movement for California or Nevada. The youngest tremors being NW and west of Las Vegas (into California) - 4 at time of typing this post.

Tasmania, WA, SA, NSW and Vic have been quietly (and a few noticeably) rocking away in June. As I said in a recent post, I feel that further movements may occur in these regions and we may see a moderate movement (M3+?) in the very near future. I have a feeling this could be in the south east of OZ, but could be wrong. Just regarding my region, I have heard some very low tone sounds emanating from down under (ground) and the faint vibrations here and there.
There maybe a moderate movement west of Tassie and maybe west or SW of WA (offshore for both states).

For the moment, Duck.

#1201440 - 26/06/2013 23:45 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Arnost Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Ducky... Even though you haven't been rewarded with huge input from the members, please don't stop. Your contributions here are way WAY out there in quality. Thank you, and I look forward to reading more. Please keep it up!

Best - Arnost

And this of course applies to scientific principles. Never compromise these. Never! [Follow the science and you will be shown correct in the end...]

#1201471 - 27/06/2013 09:53 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Arnost]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Gee Arnost... blush ....thankyou very kindly for your words. I really do appreciate them.
I try to post, when I can, stuff that is hopefully interesting, and I certainly don't get a chance to post 'it all', and I certainly do miss things (and am not always right too) - due to other commitments.
I was a classic 'star gazer' as a kid. Some of my teachers thought I was somewhat of a dreamer - but alot of the time I was observing (and engrossed with) what was going on in the outside (the window) world smile .
Some used to laugh at my perceptions of what I thought about changes in nature as being potential precursors to some 'events', but when I was right on occasions, I started to get a small 'secret' following of fellow left-of-centre' like-minded souls. We amateur mini non-scientists had some interesting discussions - though some thought we were nerds.

Anyway, I'll keep trying to do my best to jot here posts to keep you guys interested in what I gabble on with.

Cheers, Duck wink

#1201479 - 27/06/2013 10:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Couldn't edit the above post...
Was just watching Yellowstone webcam HERE and saw the camera rocking around quite a bit. Seemed like a moderate movement - will wait for the USGS to see if an M3(+?) has registered there.
From my understanding (general), after you see this kind of rocking occur, the geyser lets fly with an awesome 'spout', and several others nearby...

Edited by duckweather (27/06/2013 10:10)

#1201516 - 27/06/2013 17:07 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

It looks like South Australia, maybe near Hawker has had an M2+ in the last hour. You can see it here in the next 20 minutes, after 20 minutes it will go off the screen/readout HERE

#1201521 - 27/06/2013 18:07 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

In the last 7 days, Washington/Portland (US) has had at least 33 earth tremors, including today's M4.3. They have had a few small aftershocks - map and some info

South west/west of Eureka (offshore, NW California) may come up with a moderate EQ/tremor....will see...

#1201538 - 27/06/2013 20:00 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

In noticing Indonesia's M6 tonight, it got me thinking again about how and if large EQ's can trigger other tremors or quakes locally and even worldwide.
I personally believe that they can, if in the moment of the large quake, a region or location (fault known or unknown) is positioned or ready to absorb or be triggered by the energy emitted by the large quake.
The ripple effect or waves (energies) thrown out and beyond the large quake can trigger further destabilization of a location just needing a kick (of needed size and power) to set it off. The resultant movement may be unnoticeable to us, or could range through from slightly felt to definitely noticed. Where the nature and amount energy is dispersed may depend on what this energy travels through, e.g., water, type of earth, rock etc..
I also think that one quake may cause destabilization of a known/unknown fault on the odd occasion.
But like with an atomic bomb going off, the atmosphere above the epicenter and below (underground) the epicenter are also affected.
Though having said all of the above, it doesn't mean that every time a large quake goes off that every fault is affected.

Here's an article from September 2012, which discusses the M8+ earthquake that rocked Sumatra last year - "huge Earthquake Triggers Other Quakes Worldwide" - Live Science

But here is another obscure thought...some quakes, even seemingly distant from one another, may also be connected geologically/physically...and/or when one side of a plate (for example) moves away or 'pulls away' from one region, that its opposite side may also be affected by a push or squeeze...or maybe put increased pressures on the dynamics of one plate sliding under another.....?
I also never discount the possibility that one end of a fault line experiencing a jitter/movement - causing a tremor/quake, may correspond later or simultaneously with movement at the other end (or along the line of the fault). This is appearing to be happening on occasions along the fault line(s) running up and through California as an example.

With Victoria's recent tremors in the NE/E, I have a gut feeling that these two tremors (which happened in fairly quick succession) were somehow related to each other....but folks...I could be wrong...
I am also going to go out on a limb here and say that I feel that a fault running south from the Lilydale tremor region may have been niggled slightly....? I am happy to be corrected here by someone who knows a heck of a lot more than me about Geology wink

Gee I rattled on a bit...

Cheers, Duck.

#1201597 - 28/06/2013 11:47 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I've just found a fantastic article on earthquake booms.
The folks in Victoria and anyone else who is interested in this phenomenon may be interested to read this.

Mystery of The 'Earthquake Boom' - A Rea...03 - Larry Park

Cheers, Duck.

Page 30 of 154 < 1 2 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
annair, marestails, Quasar, typhoontim
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image