NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 10 of 22 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#1185937 - 25/03/2013 08:19 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
CeeBee Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Be very happy to learn that they are being well looked after and compensated for the price on carbon.

Anthony Watt's took advantage of the generous feed in tariff when he installed his solar panels. His reason for doing so was to save money, though it will result in higher overall costs for electricity which will impact on the poor as there is no compensation for them in California as far as I am aware.

Edited by Seabreeze (25/03/2013 19:42)
Edit Reason: trolling remark

#1185945 - 25/03/2013 08:52 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
Arnost Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: CeeBee
Be very happy to learn that they are being well looked after and compensated for the price on carbon.

Well that's a relief! And here I thought that the poor were struggling with electricity costs... Obviously with my tax dollars at work they are rolling in it: linky linky

And this of course applies to scientific principles. Never compromise these. Never! [Follow the science and you will be shown correct in the end...]

#1185984 - 25/03/2013 11:56 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
liberator Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Kyabram
My tax cut, if you could call it that - was a few measly cents a week and I earn less than 80K a year. My wife does not work, she stays at home to run the house, so I don’t even have a second income. My last power bill was just short of $700 for summer.- Typically is used to average around $500 and my usage has not changed, if anything I've done all I can to reduce my usage. I turn off my lights when not being used. I've put in compact fluorescent globes.

The house is mostly in darkness at night except the light in the lounge room. I have two teenage kids who have their own PC's they need for school and such. They sit in their darkened rooms on their computers. I have a solar heated pool which I used to run the pump and chlorinator for 8 hours a day (recommendation by the pool people) - I cut that back to just 2 hours a day and my bill still hit the $700 mark.

I turn the pool down to 30 mins a day over winter just to maintain the pool and I have a pool cover! I have keep my family cool or warm, feed them, pay my mortgage, run my car to work every day, pay my insurances, pay my rates, my rego, fuel for the car, keep my family fed, clothed and schooled.

My daughter now 18 can't get any Centerlink assistance because I earn "too much money". I’d love to put solar on my roof and reduce my power bill but I simply cannot afford the cost I’d have to borrow money and I’m not going into debt for something like that.( I may look at getting something to run my pool pump and chlorinator if not too expensive – will save me some $ but not a lot) I get squat from the government cause I earn “to much money” and I don’t expect money from the government.

My next tax cut due in July? Will save me what $200 a year if I’m lucky 0- how does that compensate me when my insurance has gone up – extra costs they incur. My powder bill has gone up due to carbon tax, my gas bill has gone up due to carbon tax, my water bill has gone up due to infrastructure and carbon tax my food bills have gone up due to carbon tax.

What a joke the government is compensating us lowly low and middle class income earners. I’m not struggling, but I’m not on easy street either. but I know those on less than me certainly are and the carbon tax is not helping and the government assistance package does absolutely nothing. Cee Bee get out in the real world and talk to some people and just see how they are doing. The Labour Govt is on the nose big time and the carbon tax that we would never have is certainly causing a big stink.

#1185993 - 25/03/2013 12:30 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wangaratta
If the Government were serious about this scam, rather than give the CTax to developers to piss into the wind turning their great big fans.... Give $15,000 to every house hold to install solar!! Based on income of course... If you earn plenty and can afford to pay for it yourself you get nothing (CB falls in that category I presume).. Go along way in cutting CO2!! (cough bull cough cough)

Edited by Seabreeze (25/03/2013 19:47)
Edit Reason: swear removed

#1185994 - 25/03/2013 12:42 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
refstar Offline
Weather Freak

Anthony Watt's took advantage of the generous feed in tariff when he installed his solar panels. His reason for doing so was to save money, though it will result in higher overall costs for electricity which will impact on the poor as there is no compensation for them in California as far as I am aware.

Compensated? My so-called "cut" equates to a measley $2 per year. Yet my power bill went up ~$200 per quarter.

#1185998 - 25/03/2013 12:50 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
ROM Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

My wife and I are on the pension not at all by choice but through circumstances not of my choosing and to my regret.
Nevertheless we have paid some millions of dollars in tax through my working lifetime of some 50 years as a farmer.

Our old age pension amounts to $570.37 per fortnight each or very close to$30,000 per year.
There is no other income ,other than a very occasional small helping hand from my kids when they themselves with families can afford it.
I regard ourselves as lucky compared to many others in this city as if you are paying rent of a hundred or couple of hundred dollars a week out of this pension sum there's not much left.

Even worse are those who are widowed and who live in their home of many years but only have the single income of some $16000 per year to pay the council rates of $1500 or so a year and as liberator points out, the constantly increasing water rates, rapidly increasing power bills, the telephone rents, the increasing insurance on their house, the increasing car registration and fuel costs that are their only means of mobility and etc and etc.
As the Meals on Wheels people in this town will tell you. you haven't seen real poverty until you see these lonely trapped people trying to exist on $570 a fortnight while Gillard and the utterly contemptible greens and the highly paid government supported latte sippers like we have seen on this forum advocate increasing taxes and prices on energy and all the flow on pricing effects that run through our entire economic system such as in increasing food prices, increasing transport costs, increasing electricity and gas costs, ,increasing water costs and etc all to supposedly force the decreased use of energy and give [quote] "a win win situation" in forcing people to use ever more expensive renewable energy.

The local Food Bank which hands out free donated food to families who can no longer afford afford to buy food for hopefully short term reasons has a distribution network that runs up to a 150 kms from Horsham and provides food, the very basic necessity of life to dozens of families and individuals each week. As well they provide counseling to try and help those unfortunates to extract themselves from their financial problems.
And all that only after a hard vetting process for eligibility and a time limit on how long they might access the Food Bank.

There are many more families and individuals that are in serious and increasingly difficult personal financial situations who don't qualify for the volunteer run Food Bank help.

But of course the well off well paid utterly self centred of this world demand that all those people be forced to pay even more for their energy which they already use as little as possible of, so as to force them to use even less energy and switch to grossly expensive highly unreliable renewable energy so as to "Save the Planet".
"Saving the Plant" from what is no longer evident as ever more science based evidence comes forward showing that the claimed Catastrophic global warming was nothing more than a chimera of unrealistic climate computer programming and overwrought imaginings of some self promoting and increasingly discredited climate warming scientists.

A "renewable energy" technology which an increasing number of studies is showing does nothing to actually reduce CO2 emmissions and in some cases when the backup coal and gas fired generators are truthfully included in the system analysis is shown to be responsible for increasing CO2 emmissions.

That is the reality of the cruel, deliberately untruthful and the uncaring and complete callousness of those who are the true believers in the global warming cult.

Edited by Seabreeze (25/03/2013 19:55)
Edit Reason: personal remark (unnecessary reference to another member removed)

#1186000 - 25/03/2013 12:59 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
CeeBee Offline
Weatherzone Addict

No-one said that it will be pain free.

No free lunch with Tony Abbott either who will need to find $11,000,000,000 (billion) each year to fund his direct action plan and that money will be coming from the taxpayer. Or to put it another way it will cost every household $1300 every year.

link

#1186001 - 25/03/2013 13:01 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
snafu Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Belmont, Lake Macquarie, NSW
Here, here. Well spoken ROM. My father now falls into one of those categories you describe above. Good Friday this year would have been 63 years together in the same house.

#1186002 - 25/03/2013 13:04 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: refstar]
CeeBee Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: refstar

Compensated? My so-called "cut" equates to a measley $2 per year. Yet my power bill went up ~$200 per quarter.

What percentage of that rise in price is due to the price on carbon?

#1186003 - 25/03/2013 13:05 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
snafu Offline
Weatherzone Addict

OT and sentimental, this September (26th) would have been mum & dads 65th wedding anniversary. There was 5 years of courting and as mum always added, "2 years of perving before that".... evillaugh

cheers

#1186007 - 25/03/2013 13:15 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
liberator Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Kyabram

#1186009 - 25/03/2013 13:19 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
ROM Offline

The true believers in the global warming cult seem to be so isolated in their fanatical ideology that they seemingly have no conception of the disgust, contempt and even hatred for their ideology that is slowly arising in all western societies as the full impact of their cruel ideology starts to bite in the living quality and living standards of the citizens of the countries where their policies they have so forcefully advocated have been implemented.

In time they and their ilk will become the pariahs of society, unwanted and viewed with complete contempt and disgust for what they are and what they have become.

#1186011 - 25/03/2013 13:23 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
CeeBee Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Edited by Seabreeze (25/03/2013 19:53)
Edit Reason: trolling

#1186012 - 25/03/2013 13:26 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
ROM Offline

Edited by Seabreeze (25/03/2013 19:54)
Edit Reason: response to above deleted post removed

#1186015 - 25/03/2013 13:31 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
CeeBee Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Renewable energy target survives review, despite criticism

Australia's renewable energy target will survive at its current size after the Gillard government rejected calls from some of the country's largest power companies and business lobbies to cut it back.

Responding to a review of the target on Thursday, Climate Change Minister Greg Combet said the government had decided to maintain the current target to ensure certainty for investors.

He said modelling by the Climate Change Authority – which carried out a review of the target and recommended its size remain untouched – also found that reducing the target would do little to ease power prices while at the same time pump out an extra 119 million tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions.

Climate Change Minister Greg Combet said the government's renewable energy target would remain at the current level.

''It is a very important part of the overall climate change policies the government has put in place,'' Mr Combet said.

''The renewable energy target will work closely with the carbon price in driving a lot of investment in renewable energy and we want to ensure investors in renewable energy the government is very supportive of the investments they are making.''

The target requires 20 per cent of Australia's electricity supply to come from renewable energy sources by 2020. Under the scheme a target is set for large-scale renewable projects – such as wind farms – to produce 41,000 gigawatt hours by 2020.

Investment surge

The Clean Energy Council's Kane Thornton said the government's decision to leave the basic settings of its renewable energy target (RET) unchanged opens the way for a further $18 billion in investment for the sector.

''All major political parties – and all incumbent generators – agree to the principle of policy stability and for policies not to change half-way through the cycle,'' Mr Thornton, deputy chief executive at the council, said.

The RET program, in place since 2001, had already drawn $10 billion into large-scale renewable ventures, particularly wind, with another $8 billion invested in smaller-scale projects, primarily solar photovoltaic (PV) panels. That investment would double by 2020 if the existing settings remain unchanged, Mr Thornton said.

Mr Thornton disputed claims by Origin Energy and others that the cost of renewable energy will rise over the remainder of the scheme.

“The costs of the RET scheme have peaked and will reduce from here on in, as the costs of technologies come down,” he said.

link

#1186016 - 25/03/2013 13:34 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: liberator]
snafu Offline
Weatherzone Addict

What's very interesting about that article Lib, is the fact that Vic, along with SA have the highest total capacity for wind in Oz, yet Vic's electricity prices have increased by an average 33 per cent over the past five years!

#1186018 - 25/03/2013 13:47 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
SBT Offline

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
I'm in the same boat as Rom but younger at 56 and with less money in the pension so my wife and I both work whatever hours we can get to make ends meet. My wife gets $11.00 a fortnight in a disability pension because she works a partime job. I don't qualify for a zac from centerlink because I am on a massive DFRDB Pension of $22,500.00 pre tax plus from 25 years military service and a small disability pension from DVA which adds another $4k to my gross income. My wife earns around $9K per annum before tax.

I have explained this all to CB before so I won't go into details again but a cost hike across the board for everything that you use (basically every facet of life) was hit by the carbon tax as everything needs energy to be produced. You still can't see it can you CB? $200.00 a year compo is nothing compared to the increased costs for EVERYTHING.

As for Tony Abbot having to find $11 billion to fund things what a joke. Before he gets to funding his plans what do we find? He has to find $300+ Billion (The treasurer won't release the real totals for some reason - I wonder what that could be?)to paying back the ongoing and daily climbing debt that Labor has saddled the entire country with so don't start throwing numbers around if you don't have any idea what is involved overall in the countries debt ridden present government.

The failure of the planned windfalls from the MRRT as well as the carbon trading scheme starting at $29.00 a tone but linked to the European scheme (which is currently under $7.00 a ton) has meant that the government has had to ask for another credit card to pay off the first one.

The present government is morally and financially bankrupt and doling out compo payments for miniscule amounts won't win the any votes seeing it was them that caused the price rises and the need for compensation in the first place.

Labor took office with a $14 billion dollar surplus created over 11 years by the Howard government from responsible spending after dragging Australia out of the debt the last time Labor held office. Labor have pizzed that up against the wall like a drunk salior in Kings Cross on a 5 day bender and for what gain? Labor social experiments gone wrong, again and again and again and the anihilation of a least one or quite possibly 2 (Labor and Greens) political parties at the next election.

A large portion of this was used to subsidise planned renewable projects which have failed utterly to produce anything that turns a profit.
2019 Total 1714mm
2018 Total 822mm

#1186021 - 25/03/2013 13:49 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
refstar Offline
Weather Freak

Woohoo for you - prob is (a) in the NT you can't put back into the grid and (b) with a 6 month long wet season in the North (on average), solar panels would be useless.....what then!?

Seems more of a 'NIMBY' type of attitude.

#1186029 - 25/03/2013 14:18 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
ROM Offline

And here is the close to end result of a major push into the so called Renewable Energies m for the country that started the Industrial Revolution some 350 years ago, an Industrial Revolution which has completely altered all of mankind's recent past and our far future for the better amongst the vast bulk of the earth's peoples.

An Industrial Revolution founded entirely on cheap, readily available, totally reliable British invented, designed and built coal powered energy.

And now at the behest of the global warming cultist lobby and it's corrupt climate warming advocates ably assisted by pure stupidity on behalf of an arrogant, ignorant and completely out of touch with the people, British political establishment who have turned their backs on coal and gas we see this sadly happening to a once great Nation that in it's prime created an Empire which ruled over 22% of the world's lands and 450 millions, one fifth of the then world's peoples, the greatest Empire in history and an Empire on which it was said that the "Sun never sets"

And it has all descended into a farce and a politically created social disaster the likes of which have rarely been seen in modern history

Via The Telegraph

It’s payback time for our insane energy policy

An obsession with CO2 has left us dangerously short of power as coal-powered stations are forced to close

As the snow of the coldest March since 1963 continues to fall, we learn that we have barely 48 hours’ worth of stored gas left to keep us warm, and that the head of our second-largest electricity company, SSE, has warned that our generating capacity has fallen so low that we can expect power cuts to begin at any time. It seems the perfect storm is upon us.

The grotesque mishandling of Britain’s energy policy by the politicians of all parties, as they chase their childish chimeras of CO2-induced global warming and windmills, has been arguably the greatest act of political irresponsibility in our history.

Three more events last week brought home again just what a mad bubble of make-believe these people are living in. Under the EU’s Large Combustion Plants Directive, we lost two more major coal-fired power stations, Didcot A and Cockenzie, capable of contributing no less than a tenth to our average electricity demands.
We saw a French state-owned company, EDF, being given planning permission to spend £14 billion on two new nuclear reactors in Somerset, but which it says it will only build, for completion in 10 years’ time, if it is guaranteed a subsidy that will double the price of its electricity.
Then, hidden in the small print of the Budget, were new figures for the fast-escalating tax the Government introduces next week on every ton of CO2 emitted by fossil-fuel-powered stations, which will soon be adding billions of pounds more to our electricity bills every year.
Within seven years this new tax will rise to £30 a ton, and by 2030 to £70 a ton, making it wholly uneconomical to generate any more electricity from the coal and gas-fired power stations that last week were still supplying two thirds of our electricity.

Put all this together and we see more starkly than ever the game the Government is playing. It knows that no company would build wind farms unless it is given subsidies that, in effect, nearly double or treble the price of its electricity.
The Government will only get CO2-free nuclear power if it promises it an equal subsidy.

And now the Coalition is also hell-bent on driving our much cheaper and more reliable coal and gas-fired plants out of business, by imposing a carbon tax that will not only eventually double the cost of their electricity, but also make it impossible for them to survive.
So mad is this policy of “double-up all round” that it is driving even the largest and most efficient power station in the country, Drax, capable of supplying seven per cent of all the power we use, to switch from burning coal to wood chips, imported 3,000 miles across the Atlantic from the US.
And how has the Government forced Drax to do this? By giving it a subsidy on wood chips that doubles the value of its electricity, while putting an increasingly prohibitive tax on coal.

This is all insane in so many ways that one scarcely knows where to begin, except to point out that, even if our rulers somehow managed to subsidise firms into spending £100 billion on all those wind farms they dream of, they will still need enough new gas-fired power stations to provide back-up for all the times when the wind isn’t blowing, at the very time when the carbon tax will soon make it uneconomical for anyone to build them.

So we are doomed to see Britain’s lights going out, all because the feather-headed lunatics in charge of our energy policy still believe that they’ve got to do something to save the planet from that CO2-induced global warming which this weekend has been covering much of the country up to a foot deep in snow.
Meanwhile, the Indians are planning to build 455 new coal-fired power stations which will add more CO2 to the atmosphere of the planet every week than Britain emits in a year.

Thank you, David Cameron, leader of “the greenest government ever”. Thank you, Ed Miliband, father of the Climate Change Act, the most expensive suicide note in history.
Between you, you seem determined to switch off our lights, lock the door and throw away the key. We owe you more than we can say.

#1186037 - 25/03/2013 14:32 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
CeeBee Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Excellent news that the UK is going to have a carbon tax from next week ROM - made my day. The U.S. and China will be next.

Page 10 of 22 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 21 22 >

Moderator:  Lindsay Knowles 
Who's Online
1 registered (Summ3r), 52 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Ansgar Berling, Instability, Krightlane, lynkim1
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image