NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 18 of 22 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 >
Topic Options
#1197743 - 06/06/2013 10:17 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
SBT Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
+1 RWM
Just as every council charges you a water fee even if your not connected to a water main so should every house hold have a charge levied against it to cover power infrastructure.
2019 Total 1714mm
2018 Total 822mm

#1197745 - 06/06/2013 10:27 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
KevD Offline
Occasional Visitor

Loc: Bellingen NSW 2454
Not what he said actually. He said "OK they generate their own during the day, but use the grid at night or on unsuitable days but pay nothing for this use" - not the same as houses that do not have power connected to them. We work on 100% solar with generator backup. Nearest town power is kms away. Why on earth should we pay a power infrastructure levy?

#1197763 - 06/06/2013 11:44 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
ROM Offline

In a way you are right Bello Boy and I can see your point and I would feel the same but then on the other hand you use public amenities like hospitals and shops and all those other public and private amenities that we all use and which we should all in some way or another contribute support to in maintaining the essential electrical grid system that allows those amenities to exist and be available for all of us to use at our own personal whim.

Those like you with their own power supplies and no grid connections believe they shouldn't and don't expect to contribute to grid maintenance particularly when that grid structure is privately owned and operated and not government owned which in the government owned case can be subsidised with public taxes which the self sufficient private generators also then contribute to through their taxes.

I don't think at all you should be made to pay any full grid maintenance levy if you are not connected but some relatively small contribution might be a way out if you are located within an easy connection distance of the grid and then choose not to be connected much as it might go against the grain of those with their own systems.

It's a dilemma and certainly not black and white at all and there are points to be said for both views.

#1197769 - 06/06/2013 12:05 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
Arnost Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Quote:
Why on earth should we pay a power infrastructure levy?

I know that that doesn't feel fair... but in the same way: I - living in a Sydney suburb had to pay a Qld infrastructure levy. I haven't used a hospital for decades - and I have top private insurance cover - so why do i have to pay a madicare levy? Why do I have to work for 40% of the day before I can start earning money that i can spend on my family. Are these things fair?

But I do it and don't whinge (too much). Because these are jsut accepted costs of living in a "society"... and yes I accept that my taxes do go to support people who chose to live outside of socitey and not contribute in return. But that is just life...

And this of course applies to scientific principles. Never compromise these. Never! [Follow the science and you will be shown correct in the end...]

#1197773 - 06/06/2013 12:10 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
retired weather man Offline

Loc: Wynnum
I agree with you Bello Boy and all others " in the bush " well away from the grid. My comments are directed to suburbia who are connected to the grid...

#1197777 - 06/06/2013 12:28 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: ROM]
KevD Offline
Occasional Visitor

Originally Posted By: ROM
In a way you are right Bello Boy and I can see your point and I would feel the same but then on the other hand you use public amenities like hospitals and shops and all those other public and private amenities that we all use and which we should all in some way or another contribute support to in maintaining the essential electrical grid system that allows those amenities to exist and be available for all of us to use at our own personal whim.

Would suggest that I do pay - through my taxes (for public amenities) and when paying for goods in store, so I do contribute. We have a shop that pays over $1000 per month for power - and where does that money come from? The customers.

#1197778 - 06/06/2013 12:29 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: retired weather man]
KevD Offline
Occasional Visitor

Originally Posted By: retired weather man
I agree with you Bello Boy and all others " in the bush " well away from the grid. My comments are directed to suburbia who are connected to the grid...

And totally agree with you on that one - does not seem fair if that is the case at the moment.

#1197791 - 06/06/2013 12:58 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: KevD]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: El Arish
Everyone (especially in Qld) pays a fixed tariff regardless of the energy they use, so what is that for? bumping up the companies bottom line?

No, it is a maintenance charge and they are always happy to tell you it goes towards paying for maintenance and upgrades of power lines and infrastructure.

So why should people have to pay a basic levy twice?? a fee/levy tariff they are all the same thing.....

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.

#1197796 - 06/06/2013 13:08 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: KevD]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Mongolia Opens $122 Million Wind Farm With Aim to Cut Pollution

Mongolia is scheduled to start operations at its first wind farm this month, a $122 million project that’s the biggest power plant in 30 years and part of a government effort to cap pollution cloaking the capital city.

The 50-megawatt facility developed by Clean Energy LLC using 31 turbines from General Electric Co. (GE) is located on a wind-raked ridge about 45 miles (72 kilometers) southwest of Ulaanbaatar. Sengee Enkh-Amgalan, the company’s chief executive officer, plans to officially start the plant on June 20.

Mongolia is seeking alternatives to fossil fuels such as coal that power its industry and mines. The government has set a target to get 20 percent to 25 percent of its energy from renewables by 2020, up from less than 2 percent currently. Coal supplies about 80 percent of the nation’s energy.

“In order to meet the 20 percent goal, the government really has to support these kinds of enterprises,” said Enkh-Amgalan, adding that he expects the government will subsidize the costs of wind power in order to make it affordable.

Smog from burning coal has choked the capital in recent months, causing the World Health Organization to name Ulaanbaatar the second-worst city for air quality behind Ahvaz in western Iran. Residents use coal to heat homes when winter temperatures plunge to minus 30 Fahrenheit.

Clean Energy says the wind park will save 122,000 tons of coal, 1.6 million tons of water and will eliminate 180,000 tons of carbon dioxide emissions each year.

Purchase Agreements
Clean Energy’s parent company, Newcom Group, established Mongolia’s first mobile phone operator, Mobicom, and helped revive the nation’s airline industry by establishing Eznis Airways, according to its website.

The government agreed to a power purchase agreement with Clean Energy, which will receive 9.5 cents a kilowatt-hour for power from the wind for the lifetime of the project. The company expects to recoup its investment in 14 years.

Enkh-Amgalan says the power station can produce 140 million to 160 million kilowatt-hours per year, which gives the plant revenue of $15 million per year.

“We expect that by the end of next year tariff prices will be liberalized,” said Enkh-Amgalan, a graduate of California’s Monterrey Institute of International Studies. “We’re not sure how it will be, but there is a certain commitment from the government that the tariffs will increase. This process is happening but slowly.”

Turbines at the plant will last about 20 years, said Enkh-Amgalan, after which time the current 1.6-megawatt turbines may need to be replaced. By then, he expects turbines may generate as much as 7 megawatts each, which would triple the output.

Roads, Grid
The biggest challenge so far has been dealing with Mongolia’s lack of infrastructure. A similar project in China would cost 30 percent less said Enkh-Amgalan, due to the vast distances and lack of roads in Mongolia, where most highways are little more than vague jeep tracks across the desert.

Clean Energy Asia and Tokyo-based SoftBank Corp. (9984) have 200,000 hectares of land in the Gobi Desert and plan to construct a wind park with a capacity of 200 megawatts to 300 megawatts, said Enkh-Amgalan.

Mining companies and towns in the region could draw power from the facilities, or the energy could be exported on an “Asia Super Grid” developers are sketching as a way to share power from Japan to India, he said.

Wind speeds in Salkhit average 8.2 meters per second, while Gobi Desert speeds exceed 9 meters per second. The Gobi has the potential to yield 11 gigawatts per year of solar energy and 300,000 megawatts of wind power, Enkh-Amgalan said.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-06...o-cut-pollution

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.

#1197809 - 06/06/2013 13:50 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
snafu Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Belmont, Lake Macquarie, NSW
Originally Posted By: YS, re Mongolia wind farm
Clean Energy says the wind park will save 122,000 tons of coal, 1.6 million tons of water and will eliminate 180,000 tons of carbon dioxide emissions each year.

And just how are these proposed turbines going to be manufactured without producing/using all of the above?

#1197813 - 06/06/2013 14:10 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: snafu]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Goldman Sachs fund invests $135 million in India's ReNew Power

MUMBAI: Goldman Sachs has invested additional $135 million in ReNew Power, raising its total investment in the company to $385 million and making it the biggest private equity investment in India's renewable energy sector.

ReNew Power, which was founded by Sumant Sinha who was earlier the chief operating officer of wind turbine major Suzlon Energy, has 200 mw of wind turbines in operation. It aims to scale up its capacity to 500 mw by end-2014 and 1,000 mw to 2015.

Confirming the development, Sinha said, "Goldman Sachs has long-term interest in renewable energy sector and has therefore invested another $135 million. With this investment, we have enough equity base to set up 1,200- 1,300 mw of capacity." In 2011, Goldman Sachs invested $200 million to acquire majority stake in ReNew Power. It later invested another $50 million.

Sector experts said that ReNew Power has been in talks with other wind energy generators for acquisition of assets and the funds from Goldman Sachs may be used towards that. "We are looking at acquisition opportunities. We have the capital and we want to expand, it doesn't matter whether its organically or through the secondary market route," Sinha said.

The renewable energy sector, led by wind energy, in India is seeing a rebound in investment with around six deals worth $650 million (including this deal) being sealed so far in 2013. In contrast, investors have been shying away from the conventional energy segment due to policy uncertainties, delay in projects and lack of fuel linkage. The wind energy sector has had its own share of uncertainties, with the government rolling back sops such as generation-based incentives (GBI) and accelerated depreciation (AD) in April 2012. GBI , which gives independent power producers monetary benefit on every unit generated, was reintroduced in the Union Budget this year but it is yet to be implemented. Renewable energy projects have also been hit by the near collapse of the Renewable Energy Certificate (REC) market.

"Its been pretty tough for the sector due to the uncertainty around GBI and the collapse of the REC market. Valuation of projects are now different from what they used to be," Sinha said. India plans to double its renewable energy capacity to 55,000 MW by 2017.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news...ow/20440696.cms

#1197816 - 06/06/2013 14:34 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
Bill Illis Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Reminds me of all the ethanol announcements in the US 5 years ago.

Subsidized alcohol production, forced on the people through ethanol-gasoline-blending mandate.

THEN WE FIND OUT, ethanol is actually harmful for the environment and it just drives up the cost of food (all foods as a side-effect of raising corn prices).

-----

Wind=solar=ethanol

#1197894 - 06/06/2013 21:41 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: Bill Illis]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Scotland’s tallest ever wind turbine gets the go-ahead for deployment

The 640 ft prototype 7MW wind turbine will be built by Samsung and used as a demonstration test-bed for cutting-edge wind technology

Scottish Energy Minister Fergus Ewing has given the green light for the deployment of Scotland’s tallest ever wind turbine to be constructed by the Korean company Samsung. The offshore demonstration wind turbine will have an installed capacity of 7MW and be deployed off the Scottish coastline at the Fife Energy Park in Methil where the Scottish government has allocated 134 acres of land for renewable energy development.

The 640 ft high test-bed turbine will test new designs and models for offshore wind turbines in order to increase their reliability and efficiency.

Scottish Finance Secretary John Swinney said: “Today’s announcement marks a significant step forward in establishing a globally competitive supply chain for the offshore wind industry. This development, which is being undertaken by Samsung Heavy Industries with more than £6 million support from Scottish Enterprise, will utilise newly developed technologies which have not yet been deployed offshore – further confirming Scotland’s commitment to innovation in the offshore wind production sector.”

The deployment was also praised by local authories including Fife Council which described the planned energy park as one of the leading centres for the global offshore wind industry. The project received the approval of WWF Scotland whose director, Lang Banks, commented that if Scotland is to make new jobs in renewable energy a reality it is important that the country “has the facilities to test offshore wind turbines and other components

http://www.renewableenergymagazine.com/a...lean-20130515-1

#1197956 - 07/06/2013 11:34 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Colorado gov signs bill doubling solar, wind energy demands

Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper officially put the contentious 2013 lawmaking session to rest Wednesday by signing the remainder of the bills passed by the Democratic-controlled state legislature, including one that many rural lawmakers hoped he would veto.

That measure, Senate Bill 252, doubles to 20 the percentage of renewable energy that rural electricity cooperatives are required to provide by 2020 — a standard many believe will raise electricity rates in mountains and plains communities.

“Hold onto your wallets, rural Colorado,” House Minority Leader Rep. Mark Waller said in a statement after the bill was signed. “Senate Bill 252 will cost the average farm family thousands of dollars in higher energy costs and force rural electric associations to pay billions of dollars to comply with the Democrats’ new energy mandate.”

Opponents campaigned hard for a veto — including through the unusual step of buying TV airtime for commercials encouraging him to reject the proposal.

But in the end, Hickenlooper said investing in renewable energy sources like wind, solar, coal mine methane and synthetic gas produced from municipal waste (through “waste-to-energy” technology) would boost the economy and create jobs in rural areas.

“Each waste-to-energy facility creates an estimated $54 million in economic activity and most of the proposed facilities have been targeted toward rural communities,” he wrote in a signing statement explaining his support of the bill. “Also as a newly eligible resource, waste-to-energy projects create profitable outlets for the more than 70 million waste tires stockpiled in the rural areas around Colorado.”

“Additionally, this legislation includes coal mine methane as an ‘eligible energy resource’ which will allow Colorado to more safely develop coal gas production in rural communities,” he wrote. “Again, these are mostly rural projects and rural jobs.”

Republican lawmakers have said that achieving the new 20 percent renewable requirement is impossible without raising rates, although the bill caps any increase at 2 percent, computed annually.

Hickenlooper said he would have vetoed the bill if it didn’t contain that provision.

“I don’t care what he does,” Republican Sen. Larry Crowder told Denver’s Fox 31, “it’s going to raise rates for people in rural parts of the state.”

Overall, Hickenlooper signed 60 bills on Wednesday. Among them were a bill creating a special drivers license for illegal immigrants, a bill requiring law enforcement agencies to test all rape kits, a bill allowing prosecutors to file extra charges in crimes where a woman loses her pregnancy (such as in a drunk driving or assault cases), and a bill making it easier for firefighters to unionize.

By signing the renewable energy bill into law, Hickenlooper accomplished what he said was a goal of not having to veto any bills this year.

At least one Republican lawmaker wasn’t impressed.

“There are some bills out there he should have vetoed, because that would have been good governance for the people about Colorado,” House Minority Leader Mark Waller told Fox31.

“It’s not about being able to tout a score of no vetoes, it’s about doing what’s right for this state.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/06/colora.../#ixzz2VURgtppF

#1197959 - 07/06/2013 11:46 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

PGE beats rest of utilities for green power sales

Portland-based utilities — and their customers — continue to lead the pack in choosing renewable energy options for their electricity.

For the first time ever, Portland General Electric registered the nation’s highest sales of renewable energy in 2012 as well as the highest number of customers choosing a green power option, according to the National Renewable Energy Laboratory.

PGE had been second to Austin Energy of Austin, Texas in total sales of renewable energy in the prior period, but surpassed it in 2012, the federal laboratory reported.

PacifiCorp, also based in Portland, wasn’t far behind PGE. PacifiCorp, which operates under the Pacific Power name here, ranked third nationally in total sales of renewable energy, and second after PGE in total number of customers choosing a green power option.

PGE has 87,987 customers choosing to pay premium prices to get green power for their electricity, and they bought 834,125 megawatt-hours of power last year. PacifiCorp was close behind with 87,919 customers, and they purchased 604,007 megawatt-hours. Pacific Power tends to operate more in rural parts of the state, while PGE is dominant in the Portland area.

Customers who buy green power options don’t necessarily get electricity generated by solar, wind, geothermal or hydro via the wires serving their homes. But by buying that amount of green power, it commits the utilities to provide that amount through their own production or via purchases on the open market.

The more solar and wind power customers agree to buy, the more PGE and PacifiCorp know they have a market to provide, with a higher price to make it pencil out.

The city of Palo Alto had the highest customer participation rate in green power options, with 18.2 percent of its customers signing up in 2012. PGE ranked second in that category, with 12.4 percent, and Pacific Power ranked sixth, with 7.6 percent of its customers.

The Northwest Renewable Energy Laboratory, part of the U.S. Department of Energy, is based in and around Golden, Colo.

http://portlandtribune.com/sl/154167-pge-beats-rest-of-utilities-for-green-power-sales

#1198074 - 08/06/2013 11:22 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

One a bit closer to home.....

Cairns energy costs could be lowered the natural way
SUGAR cane, wind and sunshine - it sounds more like a weekend away but experts reckons these natural resources could pull the Far North out of an electricity crisis.
It has been one week since news broke that electricity prices will soar, with some bills set to increase by more than 20 per cent in the new financial year.
Some families told The Cairns Post they were bracing for massive bills because they had already cut back on their electricity use as much as possible, while others hoped for a new electricity retailer in the region to compete with Ergon Energy.
But experts say the Far North should take advantage of the region's natural surrounds to harness renewable energy and ultimately cut back on spending.
Cairns' Evolve Energy prepared the Tropical North Queensland Renewable Energy Industry Development Plan for the State Government last year, which detailed strategies to ramp up renewable energy use in the region.
Evolve Energy director David Smyth said increasing renewable energy such as biomass would benefit the Far North in many ways but it would rely on community and Government support.
"We think there is definitely an opportunity for different renewable energy to reduce electricity prices," he said.
"Iceland uses 100 per cent renewable energy for electricity production using a geothermal resource (hot springs) but the key renewable energy resources in this region are wind, solar and biomass. Gas from sugar cane is being used to generate electricity at the sugar mills for extra revenue. They use the waste product from sugar cane to burn in their boiler and it's a carbon neutral renewable energy resource.
"There should be more of it. The problem with Queensland is the existing electricity utilities are Government-owned corporations so they are not in favour of people producing their own energy."
James Cook University associate professor in power engineering Ahmad Zahedi said it would be viable for consumers to install their own solar systems at home but the current electricity network could not support a large-scale farm.
"The state of Queensland must be number one in turning sun energy into electricity and with the price drop of solar panels, which is one-fifth compared to ten years back, it makes sense to generate your own electricity," he said.
"The problem in Queensland is if you build a wind or solar farm, the electricity network is not able to absorb the power. The network is weak and upgrading it would cost billions of dollars."
Professor Zahedi said he thought installing a wind-farm would be more effective toward the Cape instead of on the Tablelands.
"I have visited a wind farm on the Tablelands but if you want to make it economical you need to move a little bit further up, you would find a windier site toward the Cape," he said.
More than 700 people currently work in the renewable energy industry in this region.
pi1154enThe Tropical North Queensland Renewable Energy Industry Development Plan developed strategies to see 2500 people employed in the industry by 2020.
Quick facts
-About 5800 residents in the Cairns region have solar at home.
-People with solar receive either a 44c or 8c per kilowatt hour rebate from the Government, depending on when they applied for installation.
-The Barron Gorge hydroelectric power station saves about 260,000 tonnes of greenhouse gas per year, the equivalent of 660,000 light bulbs.
-A wind farm is proposed at Mt Emerald.

#1198565 - 12/06/2013 10:22 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Urgent plea to build wind farm factories

Europe’s expanding offshore generation business will go elsewhere taking investment with it, industry body RenewableUK said.

Potential for tens of thousands of manufacturing jobs hangs in the balance
RenewableUK’s chief Maria McCaffery
The Government plans wind farms to supply up to 18 gigawatts of power by 2020, up from 3.3 gigawatts, with the rest of Europe set to match it.

Europe needs 64 large factories to make the towers and turbines but only a third of that number are built. Of the 20-or-so being planned less than a quarter are in Britain.

RenewableUK’s chief Maria McCaffery said it was a “once-in-a-generation opportunity” to build large-scale offshore wind farm supply factories.

She added: “Potential for tens of thousands of manufacturing jobs hangs in the balance.”

Energy minister Michael Fallon said: “Offshore wind is a British success story.”

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/406834/Urgent-plea-to-build-wind-farm-factories

#1198567 - 12/06/2013 10:26 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Vestas wins 94 MW wind power order in South Africa

Vestas announced it has secured a firm and unconditional wind turbine order for the West Coast One wind energy project from Aurora Wind Power, a joint venture between GDF SUEZ, Investec and Kagiso Investment. The new wind power plant will consist of 47 V90-2.0 MW turbines, to be installed at the Western Cape of South Africa. The start of the turbine delivery is planned for the third quarter of 2014 and the wind power plant is expected to be commissioned by May 2015.

“We are happy to announce this large order for South Africa and to construct our first wind power project together with Aurora Wind Power – all the more so in connection with a project company jointly owned by GDF SUEZ, already a long-term and highly valued Vestas customer. With our 30 years of experience and efficient wind energy solutions we contribute to our partners’ business case and support their vision of a sustainable wind energy market in South Africa,” says Vestas Central Europe President, Thomas Richterich.
“Vestas Southern Africa is proud to be chosen as the EPC contractor for one of the largest wind power plants in South Africa. This confirms Vestas’ market leading position in South Africa where Vestas has won 36 per cent of the megawatts in the first two auctions. We look forward to building on this success and further developing, together with our long-standing and global partner GDF SUEZ, exciting wind opportunities in the country,” states Phylip Leferink, Country Manager/VP Sales, Vestas Southern Africa.
The contract includes supply, installation and commissioning of 47 V90-2.0 MW wind turbines, along with a VestasOnline® Business SCADA solution, full scope civil and electrical works as well as a 15-year full-scope service agreement (AOM 5000). The AOM 5000 service package offers customers assured performance, helping them to avoid unforeseen operational costs.

http://www.pennenergy.com/articles/penne...uth-africa.html

#1198569 - 12/06/2013 10:35 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

The US added 723 megawatts of solar power during the first 3 months of 2013

48% of all new electricity capacity added
During the first quarter of 2013, the U.S. has added 723 megawatts (MW) of new solar capacity to its power grid, a 33% growth rate year-on-year. This accounted for over 48% of all new electric capacity installed during that period. According to the SEIA: "Overall, these installations represent the best first quarter of any given year for the industry. In addition, the residential and utility market segments registered first-quarter highs with 164 MW and 318 MW respectively." The residential segment had particularly impressive growth, with a 53% increase year-on-year!
The chart below shows how each segment fared and how it compares to past quarters:

Notice the huge spike for utility solar at the end of 2012; this timing was caused by government incentives.

With the Q1 numbers, cumulative operating photovoltaic capacity in the U.S. now stands at 7.9 GW, and if you add back concentrating solar thermal and other non-PV sources, the total stands around 8.5 GW.

The U.S. is expected to add 5.3 GW of solar electric capacity in 2013, enough to power more than 960,000 average American homes. The average residential PV system price fell below $5.00 per watt, while the average non-residential system price fell below $4.00 per watt.

Cleaning up the power grid is one of the essential, sine qua non, things that we must do to create a sustainable future. No way around it, we need lots of power that comes from sources that don't run a chemical experiment with our atmosphere by pumping billions of tons of CO2 into and spew various pollutants (mercury, NOx, PM, etc). That's why it's important to keep an eye on the growth of renewable energy and support policies that can increase the speed of the transition (a carbon tax would work wonders, for example, even if it was revenue neutral and other taxes were cut by the same amount).
http://www.treehugger.com/renewable-ener...onths-2013.html

#1198762 - 13/06/2013 08:43 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Copper Ink Could Cut The Cost Of Solar Panels

Intrinsiq Materials Inc. has been awarded USD $887,000 to further develop a copper ink for use in solar cells.

Most crystalline silicon solar cells use silver paste; which acts as a collection and transportation channel for energy collected by a solar cell. According to the Silver Institute, over 2,800 tonnes of silver are projected for use by the solar panel industry in 2015.

Copper ink costs around 60% less than silver paste and while it has been used in circuit boards and other applications for a few years; it requires baking at high temperatures so that it will conduct electricity. This is an energy intensive process that can also damage the cell or the substrate.

Intrinsiq Materials has developed a copper ink incorporating nano and micro copper particles that can be applied at low temperature, will maintain high conductivity and will not oxidise.

As the process requires only the printing equipment and curing, power usage in production of the ink can drop by 50% or more. Chemical and material usage and waste is reduced by 70%.

The funding provided by the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) will allow Rochester based Intrinsiq Materials to boost R&D of the ink, with view to commercialisation soon. The company expects to increase staffing levels from eight employees to up to 25 as a result of project.

"With the support of NYSERDA and all of the capabilities of the Rochester area, the potential to leverage the technology into critical and fast-growing applications such as solar cells has become extremely realizable," said Robert Cournoyer, President and CEO, Intrinsiq Materials.

Under the funding agreement, Intrinsiq will repay NYSERDA if the product is successful and has also matched the funding amount, with assistance from private investors.

NYSERDA’s Advanced Clean Power Technologies program promotes companies researching new forms of clean-energy technologies or projects that can support these technologies.

http://www.energymatters.com.au/index.php?main_page=news_article&article_id=3788

Page 18 of 22 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 >

Moderator:  Lindsay Knowles 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
JEFF.H., LaLa, Matt Pearce, Squirel2000, TJK1974, Traveller Steveo, Watcher@Tmba
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529242 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image