Page 21 of 22 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 >
Topic Options
#1200208 - 21/06/2013 22:08 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Bundy and Gladstone
Just an interesting conversation between hubby and I today.

Bloody freezing weather for us normally warm spot place. I turned on a heater in the bathroom so I could have a nice warm room to hop out of the shower into to dry off in. I probably do that at best half a dozen times a year.

He commented on my power saving going down the drain. Yes, I am the one who turns off every light but one in the house at night. The one who cooks over an open fire when I can to save our bills.

I replied back something like "They tell us our standards of living are so much higher now. I am not sure how. I am still feeding the family in our budget, hence the same soup on the table tonight I grew up on. Made of beef bones sold as dog food with the addition of grains and veg. Same use of open fires to complete things around the house"

Yes, my house now has reverse cycle aircons, the cheapest to run I am told. They are rarely on. They are used to heat the house when it is closed up then turned off and the residual heat is appreciated. Once it is gone it is back to the old fashioned jammies, wool slippers, gown and multiple blankies on the bed. I remember when I was a child we had at least one kero heater on all night.

We have a solar hot water system. For some odd reason it doesn't like the current cloudy weather and doesn't produce enough hot water. That means it must be power boosted to do so. Instead of doing that I have cut shower times and availability down to suit the system. When I was a kid it came from the system connected to the wood burning stove and hot water never really ran out for a family of 7.

Our house is no larger than those I grew up in. It is more environmentally friendly with insulation all round, solar hot water yet I still have to think about the bills. Or more so.

Why is it that with a bigger pay packet, a better built house we can't afford to be as warm as we once were? As a kid all the lights would be on in the house, now we have one?

I don't begrudge some things like a harder life. It has helped to keep my family grounded. There has never been a play station in our house.

Has our standard of living really increased?

#1200224 - 21/06/2013 23:56 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wangaratta
And build the same house in Vic that the ancient poms did and you'd live the same length of time.... about 35 years of age!!!you are such an arrogant piece of work.. You think that you are totally self reliant.. but your equipment has a life span..

#1200228 - 22/06/2013 00:36 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: Simmosturf]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Bundy and Gladstone
Originally Posted By: Simmosturf
And build the same house in Vic that the ancient poms did and you'd live the same length of time.... about 35 years of age!!!you are such an arrogant piece of work.. You think that you are totally self reliant.. but your equipment has a life span..

May I ask to whom you are speaking??

#1200230 - 22/06/2013 01:04 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
snafu Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Belmont, Lake Macquarie, NSW
I would say YS, bundybear, not you. (self reliant)

Meanwhile YS:
Quote:
Haven't you heard of insulation? double glazed windows? solar hot water?

Unfortunately YS not everyone lives in THEIR OWN HOME, like myself and partner and 7 other couples that live in a block of 8 RENTED units.

I'm sure that my landlord / real estate agent will install double glazed windows and solar hot water to ALL 8 units if we ask them.

NOT!

#1200243 - 22/06/2013 08:01 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: Simmosturf]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: El Arish

You have a very short fuse mate.

I am talking about MODERN DAY England, they have evolved since then you know?
everything has a lifespan but what has that go to do with?

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.

#1200245 - 22/06/2013 08:09 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Samoa to start $2M geothermal drilling in 2014

PAGO PAGO, American Samoa (AP) — The head of American Samoa's energy office says the U.S. territory plans to begin drilling for geothermal energy next year as part of a $2.3 million project to reduce its dependence on diesel.

Director Timothy Jones of the territory's energy office is also chairman of the American Samoa Renewable Energy Committee. He says the committee agreed this week to an action plan that calls for aggressive goals toward energy independence, including geothermal on the territory's main island of Tutuila.

Jones says his office expects to be drilling its first test wells next year. He is seeking federal funding through grants available for renewable energy projects.

The territory's Power Authority says it uses about 1 million gallons of fuel per month for two power plans on Tutuila.

http://www.ctpost.com/news/science/artic...014-4615210.php

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.

#1200246 - 22/06/2013 08:19 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

aleo solar develops 290 watt high efficiency solar module with CELCO cells from Sunrise

Oldenburg, Prenzlau, June 20, 2013. The solar manufacturer and distributor aleo solar AG presents its new high efficiency solar module with a current maximum power output of 290 watt. Due to a unique combination of module components, the improved aleo S_19 module can produce more electricity on the same surface area. The module contains monocrystalline CELCO solar cells from Sunrise Global Solar Energy Co. Ltd, one of the world's leading solar cell producers located in Taiwan. Anti-reflection glass, highly transparent embedding film and special cell connectors are further components used to improve the module output. These record modules have been certified by the German testing institute VDE.

"By using the CELCO cells from Sunrise we are able to produce solar modules in series with outstanding efficiencies of 17.6 percent calculated over the whole module area. Sunrise is currently the only cell supplier worldwide who can offer such high efficiency and reliable, high quality component for our aleo modules. With these power classes for 60 cell modules we are advancing into the highest power segment on the market and we are confident that further improvements will follow soon", said Guenter Schulze, CTO of aleo solar AG. The CELCO cells use the rear passivation and local contacting methods and are able to achieve efficiencies over 20 percent.

Sunrise CTO, Dr. Budi Tjahjono, explains, "Our highest power p-type mono cells are not only PID resistant, have an outstanding LID behaviour and a superior low light performance but also show a great temperature coefficient and excellent colour uniformity."

"We have been screening the market for a suitable supplier of mono cells for a while. Sunrise's quality and cost competitiveness clearly stood out from the rest. We are very satisfied to enjoy such a strong collaboration", said York zu Putlitz, CEO/CFO of aleo solar AG.

Sunrise CEO and Chairman, Kuei-Chang Hsu added, "With its strong know-how in production processes and quality, aleo solar is able to fully transfer the benefits from our CELCO cells into their modules. We are proud of the results of our cooperation which puts us both into a competitive market position."

In addition to the improved solar cells, aleo solar uses anti-reflection glass in its new modules that allows more light to penetrate into the module thanks to its thin coating on the glass surface. The EVA encapsulation film possesses better transparency properties, particularly in the ultraviolet spectrum. With the special cell connectors the new modules offer an additional increase in performance: the structured surface of the light harvesting string (LHS) directs more light to the solar cells.

About aleo solar
aleo solar AG produces and distributes premium solar modules and systems for the international photovoltaic market. Since 2009, the Bosch Group has owned a majority of the company (DE000A0JM634), which was originally founded in 2001 and has been listed on the stock exchange since 2006. The premium manufacturer currently has approximately 900 employees and is represented in the key photovoltaic markets all over the world. The aleo solar group has an annual production capacity of 280 megawatts at its plant in Prenzlau, Germany. The company generated a turnover of € 279.9 million in 2012.

About Sunrise
Sunrise Global Solar Energy develops, manufactures and markets high-efficiency solar cells worldwide for residential, commercial and utility-scale power plant customers. Sunrise high-efficiency solar cells generate significantly more power than conventional solar technologies. Sunrise, founded in 2007 by a team of solar technology pioneers, focuses on manufacturing premium cell products at cost-competitive prices. Sunrise's main factory is located in Yilan, Taiwan. For further information about Sunrise.

http://www.altenergymag.com/news/2013/06...m-sunrise/29816

#1200381 - 22/06/2013 19:52 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

(You have a very short fuse mate.
everything has a lifespan but what has that go to do with?)

And the reason that is YS is that I can't stand elitism... Those who talk down at people who think they are a class above... You enjoy your solar panels and so forth.. I'll be more concerned in dragging down the green scum politicians and their ideals.... Just like the majority of aussies are right now... The first time I've ever looked forward to voting!!

Edited by Simmosturf (22/06/2013 19:55)

#1200388 - 22/06/2013 20:13 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: Simmosturf]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

(You have a very short fuse mate.
everything has a lifespan but what has that go to do with?)

And the reason that is YS is that I can't stand elitism... Those who talk down at people who think they are a class above... You enjoy your solar panels and so forth.. I'll be more concerned in dragging down the green scum politicians and their ideals.... Just like the majority of aussies are right now... The first time I've ever looked forward to voting!!

You are seriously off track bloke.
Elitism?
you think people who have solar panels think they are better than other people?
hoy boy....

#1200391 - 22/06/2013 20:19 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

India Combats Energy Poverty Through Renewable Sources

India’s energy program is extremely interesting, given the sheer size of its electrical grid and the dire necessity to develop additional forms of electric generation. Overall, it is the fourth-largest energy consumer in the world behind the US, China and Russia. Yet over 300 million citizens in India function without electricity and over 700 million remain with limited electrical access. What’s worse is 300,000-400,000* deaths occur each year from energy poverty, as burning traditional things like wood and animal waste indoors for cooking purposes lead to respiratory ailments that would be mitigated with better electrical services.

The July 2012 blackout throughout northern India – affecting over 620 million people over the course of two days – was a considerable catalyst to spur motivation. Following the outages, secretary general of the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry Rajiv Kumar addressed the importance of grid modernization, “One of the major reasons for the collapse of the power grid is the major gap between demand and supply. There is an urgent need to reform the power sector and bring about infrastructural improvements to meet the new challenges of the growing economy.”

Oddly enough, some of the states affected by the blackouts in 2012 are also some of the most conducive for solar energy generation. The solar resource map below provided by Wikipedia shows the potential for great solar development along the northwestern and central regions of India.

Many of the country’s natural resources are beginning to be utilized to address energy poverty, and the country is addressing concerns through projects designed to improve electric infrastructure in a comprehensive, but prompt way. For example, the Jawaharial Nehru National Solar Mission (JNNSM) is widely considered to be the main solar operative for the country. Started in 2010, the project’s eventual goal is to install 20 gigawatts (1 gigawatt = 1,000 megawatts) worth of solar power into India by 2022. The project is broken down into three separate phases. Phase I was originally slated to be completed by the end of 2013 and the Indian government has successfully followed through – the intended 500 megawatts (MW) have already been successfully allocated.

On May 9th, the Indian Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) also distributed a draft proposal for Phase II of the initiative. While the final draft has not been released yet, the early indications are that an additional 750 megawatts of solar energy will be installed between now and the end of 2017.

JNNSM Private Sector Gains

Some companies have already leapt at the potential to contribute to Phase II, including solar module manufacturer Lanco Solar Private Ltd. The prospect of providing solar panels for the project proved to be too enticing for Lanco, as it expects to raise $300 million in revenue through Phase II. Satyendra Kumar, Chief Technology Officer for Lanco Solar, added, “In the second phase of the Jawaharial Nehru National Solar Mission indigenous manufacturing should be encouraged…we want implementation as early as possible and on a consistent basis.” Plans are to begin production of panels by mid-2014.

Tata Power, the country’s largest integrated power utility, has not directly been tied to Phase II of the JNNSM plans, but it is diligently working to invest in both solar and wind energy development on its own accord. This week Tata announced ambitious plans to add 30-50 MW of solar power and 150-200 MW of wind energy everyyear moving forward. The effort is part of a long-term sustainability initiative, which will add to the 873 MW in renewables already installed from the utility in India.

Within Phase II, the MNRE will also create a national offshore wind energy policy to begin research this year, as it was determined the cost effectiveness of pursuing offshore wind was comparable to conventional fossil fuel generation.

Despite the various efforts mentioned, India remains a long way away from achieving its sustainability goals. But the effort certainly appears to be present, and prosperity appears to be just over the horizon for many people in India.

http://theenergycollective.com/ecskris/2...-energy-sources

#1200393 - 22/06/2013 20:21 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

You do... Remember your post re those who like the pretty standby light?? You stink of elitism matey...
I see out at my golf club, a neighbour has put solar panels on his shed roof at the range of a wayward slice.....Well sure enough, has a broken panel.... Has demanded the golf club to pay for a replacement... The bill, $1000?????? I won't mention what the Pres told this rich doctor due to the forum rules!!! giggle

Edited by Simmosturf (22/06/2013 20:27)

#1200410 - 22/06/2013 21:18 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: Simmosturf]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I do, and tell me what is the point of having a "standby light" that wastes power for nothing?
we have friends who have a TV and the standby light is on all the time, you have to turn it off at the wall...

#1200442 - 22/06/2013 22:58 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
Simmosturf Offline
Weatherzone Addict

And the fact that people don't do that has what to do with you? You have batteries that you may not want to drain but those on the grid don't... None of your business really unless you feel compelled to look down your green nose at those who don't??

Edited by Simmosturf (22/06/2013 23:00)

#1200805 - 24/06/2013 09:51 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: Simmosturf]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

And it begins...Germany towards self reliant battery power...

German solar company launches household energy storage device

SMA Solar, Germany's largest solar company, is launching an battery set that will allow households to store surplus daytime solar energy for use in the evening, cutting energy bills.

German households pay some of the highest prices in Europe for electricity because they pick up much of the cost of subsidising cleaner energy production.

SMA Solar, which is up against fierce Asian competition, says it can help owners of solar panels use more of their self-generated power.

It is Germany's largest solar company and the world's largest maker of solar inverters, a component that helps to feed solar-generated energy into the electricity grid.

The company says its combined inverter battery will give a four-person household up to three hours of extra energy during the evening. The device will go on the market in the second half of this year.

"The discussion is no longer about returns from solar panel installations, as was the case in the past. People now want to know how they can lower their energy bills," SMA Chief Executive Pierre-Pascal Urbon told Reuters late on Thursday.

Current home solar installations typically use only about 25 per cent of the electricity they produce. The rest is sold to the grid at around half the roughly 28 cents per kilowatt hour (kWh) which consumers pay for power when the sun is not shining.

SMA says combining existing SMA devices with the inverter battery enables consumers to use up to 50 per cent of their own solar power, allowing a typical household to more than halve their annual power bills once the cost of buying the devices has been covered.

The company said it will announce the price of the device - which will compete with stand-alone solar batteries - later this year.

ENERGY ROUTER

SMA Solar is now focusing on devices that cut reliance on energy from utilities, selling a small Internet router-like box that allows consumers to control dryers, washing machines and other electrical appliances via their smartphones.

The €340 ($487) box uses weather data to makes sure devices run when the sun shines most. It connects to appliances via bluetooth and also maps a household's energy use.

Urbon said these products were not yet generating large revenue streams but it wanted to increase investment. Although its net profit more than halved to €75.1 million ($107 million) in 2012, SMA Solar has ramped up R&D spending to more than €120 million in 2013 from 108 million in 2012.

SMA Solar gets two thirds of its €1.5 billion turnover from smaller inverters for households and commercial clients, the rest from larger installations for companies and utilities.

Overcapacity and plunging prices in the inverter business have already driven consolidation among SMA's peers.

Urbon said he was convinced the group, with a free float of just 29.15 per cent, could maintain or even expand its current global market share of about a quarter, despite stronger competition and increasing consolidation.

In April, Swiss industrial group ABB agreed to buy SMA's main rival, US-based Power, for about $1 billion. Urbon said he had no interest in SMA being bought up by a large conglomerate: "We would lose what makes us strong: our flexibility."

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/news...-storage-device

#1200806 - 24/06/2013 09:53 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

More than 1 in 10 Germans are already producing heat or power from solar

Noting the key role of solar power in Germany's Energy Transition (Energiewende), the Solar Industry Association (BSW-Solar, Berlin) has announced that 8.5 Germans live in buildings that use solar photovoltaic (PV) or solar thermal systems.

This represents more than 1 in 10 residents of the nation, and BSW-Solar notes that this figure has nearly doubled in the last five years.

“People support the Energiewende, and they are increasingly taking it into their own hands,” explains BSW-Solar Managing Director Carsten Körnig. “It’s now up to the politicians to resolutely move the Energiewende forward and to utilize the significant readiness of citizens and entrepreneurs to invest in the transformation of the energy supply system.”

Storage, US, Asian markets hold promise

BSW-Solar notes that at this year's Intersolar Europe trade show the focus was on technological solutions for energy storage and the intelligent management of solar power. From May 2013, PV systems with energy storage have been eligible for a new class of incentives in Germany.

The organization also states that despite the impacts on European solar markets due to cuts to solar funding and the economic crisis, market demand has increased in Asia and the Americas.

http://www.solarserver.com/solar-magazin...from-solar.html

#1200827 - 24/06/2013 10:54 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
SBT Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
So what Yasi? I have lived in homes since the 1960s that had solar hot water systems in PNG. When we moved back to WA in 1968 we had a wood chip heater and then back to PNG in 1970 we again had a home with solar hot water systems. It isn't a new idea. In fact when on exercises in the bush we used to make hot water for our monthly showers by using a simple 15 metre garden hose filled with water and plugged at each end and laid out on the ground in a patch of sunlight with black plastic bags over it for 10 to 15 minutes which made it almost boiling hot. Using the sun to heat water is nothing new and as for Germany now using it well they are a bit behind the times aren't they?
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#1200840 - 24/06/2013 11:35 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
SBT Offline

Just saw a ABC News item that the proposed whirly gig farm on King Island has been defeated by not gaining a 60% approval vote by the islanders.
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#1200846 - 24/06/2013 12:27 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: CeeBee]
SBT Offline

King Island residents uncertain about wind farm future

(1) http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-24/no-clear-win-in-wind-farm-survey/4775494

Wind farm Photo: Wind farm (ABC TV)

Map: King Island 7256
Nearly 59 percent of people surveyed about a $2 billion wind farm proposed for King Island have supported more work on the development.

King Island residents were asked if they supported a feasibility study on Hydro's proposed 200 turbine project.

Polling company EMRS says from 878 responses, nearly 59 per cent supported the two year study.

The state-owned company has said it would not go ahead with the next stage of its concept unless 60 per cent of the community agreed on it.

Board meeting

The Board of Hydro Tasmania has just decided to meet today to consider the result.

Hydro's board was expected to meet on Wednesday but will now meet today to discuss the result.

It says it wants to provide a quick response to avoid uncertainty for the community.

Community response

King Island residents are confused about what the result means.

In King Island's main town of Currie this morning, reaction to the survey result has been mixed.

Meredith Graham is glad most residents support a feasibility study.

"But because Taswind did say they were looking for 60 per cent, it does leave it a little bit unclear, " she said.

Barry Barnes hopes it will not go ahead.

"All the power's going to Victoria, and what's in it for King Island?," he said.

Robert Hills says the community does not need a wind farm.

"If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen, the island's not going to collapse in a big heap all of a sudden," he said.

Either way, the community hopes for an end to the bitter divisions caused by the project.
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#1201094 - 25/06/2013 09:25 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: SBT]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Greens want to shut fossil fuel plants

All large-scale fossil fuel power stations would be shut down by 2031 under a plan by the NSW Greens, who argue politicians are the only barrier to a state run completely on renewable energy.

Greens MP John Kaye says the party will introduce the Transforming NSW Energy Sector bill when parliament resumes in August.

Transforming the NSW energy sector isn't the only goal of the bill.

'The bill might not become law but we want to force every state politician to face the reality that there is an alternative to burning coal and gas,' Dr Kaye said.

Technological and economic barriers no longer make the move from fossil fuels difficult, Dr Kaye says.

'It is the politicians who are getting in the way.'

The Greens want to replace fossil fuel burning power generators with wind and solar energy plants, pointing to University of NSW research that shows an affordable electricity supply can be sustained by renewables.

Transferring to renewables will cut the '60 million tonnes of CO2 emitted each year' by the state's coal-fired power stations, Dr Kaye says.

Those who lose jobs in the transition could be guaranteed employment in new clean energy generation.

Dr Kaye says changes brought by the bill would cost less than $8.2 billion, a figure that could decrease as technologies improve.
http://www.skynews.com.au/national/article.aspx?id=882606

#1201096 - 25/06/2013 09:27 Re: Renewable Energy News [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Renewable Energy Becomes Cost Competitive in Africa

The African continent is witnessing a stunning surge in the use of renewable energy as supply sources such as solar and wind power emerge as the lowest cost options for developing countries still struggling with poor infrastructure.
South Africa plans to bring 6.9 gigawatts of renewable energy capacity into play by the end of this decade, awarding 2.4 gigawatts in contracts via the first two windows of its procurement program.
At the other end of the continent, Morocco has also launched its own swathe of ambitious renewable energy programs. It plans to develop 850 megawatts in wind capacity in the form of five projects, which the goal of installing two gigawatts in capacity by 2020.
In the area of solar power, Morocco is on track to build the world’s largest concentrated solar power plan in the form of the 500 megawatt Ouarzazate project. Phase one of the project is already under construction, while Phase two is in the midst of procurement.
Despite a sharp decline in total global investment in renewable energy in 2012, which fell to $244 billion from $279 billion the preceding year, the Middle East and Africa experienced a remarkable increase in regional spending, surging 228 per cent to hit $12 billion.
A new report from the energy team of Baker & McKenzie suggests this trend is set to continue, with solar PV and other renewable energy sources now competitive against conventional rivals, especially in rural areas situated far from grid infrastructure.
For rural African communities, renewable energy has become cheaper than diesel or coal-fired generators once fuel costs are taken into consideration as a result of limited refining capacity and poor pipeline networks.
“Certain categories of renewable energy have become the de facto least cost generation option when compared to conventional new build alternatives,” says Christopher Clarke, founding partner of Inspired Evolution Investment Management.
“The average price for wind in the last bid was 89 Rand cents per kilowatt-hour, which is cheaper than the equivalent cost of cleaner coal new build in South Africa.”

http://designbuildsource.com.au/renewable-energy-becomes-cost-competitive-in-africa

Page 21 of 22 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 >

Moderator:  Lindsay Knowles 
Who's Online
10 registered (chasers addict, Mr Buzle, Mike Hauber, Blair Trewin, Donzah, mysteriousbrad, DaveM, Markus, Eevo, 1 invisible), 283 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
poida84
Forum Stats
29275 Members
32 Forums
23612 Topics
1451796 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image