NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 123 of 154 < 1 2 ... 121 122 123 124 125 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1401350 - 10/01/2017 10:59 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi folks.

WA [near Bonnie Rock] has been experiencing many smaller tremors [up to m4.2]. Since the initial M4.2 there have been many smaller movements there. This may culminate in another larger tremor or dissipate altogether. In the last 7 days it seems that QLD, ACT and Tassie are the only states/territories to have missed having tremors - to my knowledge anyway.
But if you look at the quake map [Oz] for the last 30 days, you can see that the ACT is the only place where a tremor hasn't been recorded. 30 day record here

The U.S, is all over the place with tremors and quakes currently. Yellowstone has come in the mix of their quakes, as has Hawaii.

Canada west has come up with the quakes/tremors is was anticipating - following on from the quakes in west U.S. and Alaska.

The northern reaches of the Australian Plate is not settled - and may be throwing up the quakes in Indonesia, PNG, other Pacific islands and NZ. Macquarie Island came up with a quake - which I associate with the OZ plate interacting with NZ.

My mind's-eye is more focused on Oz at the moment. Our local seismo's in Vic [particularly seismo's in Narracan and Castlemaine] have been coming up with sporadic and interesting niggles. Some of these may be referred energies from distant quakes, but I get a feeling some of them may also be related to local movements and Plate niggles....?

Anyway, for now, Duck.

#1401614 - 11/01/2017 23:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Town&country Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Perth - Adelaide
http://www.aees.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/23-Dent.pdf This link may explain the swarms of earthquakes currently underway in WA

#1401655 - 12/01/2017 10:58 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Town&country]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi all.

Quote:
http://www.aees.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/23-Dent.pdf This link may explain the swarms of earthquakes currently underway in WA

Thankyou for finding this great report Town&country. This highlights some of my suspicions about Australia's swarm and EQ activity. And I learned some new stuff too smile

A few things come to mind after reading through this report.
If seismo's were deployed all over Australia [I mean everywhere], though this is not feasible, and all movements recorded were shown on an updating public page, wouldn't we have a wonderful perspective of where and how focused [or spread out for that matter] our tremor and EQ activity is in this great country? I would probably obsess over it though smile

I found this info fascinating and it just goes to show that Australia is always on the move in tiny or more substantial ways. The geology of our land dictates where it's weaknesses are; where it's strengths are and where, given enough driven energy [causing tremors and quakes] new or sleeping fault lines can be recognized and mapped.

When you eliminate 'man-induced' quakes and tremors [though I wonder if some of these causes can go on to energize natural faults sometimes] and get a 'feel' for the geology of our continent; the plate it sits on and the influence of quakes [and other activity] away from the continent, and look at where swarms of all characteristics [subtle or obvious or short lived or prolonged] are occurring, the opportunity of possibly suggesting where a moderate or decent movement may occur within a rough or closely presumed time frame.
This is why I have mentioned in a previous post, that I [personally] would love to see all tremors recorded for us all to see on a page, as they happen. I am sure, as I have mentioned before, that I have felt ground movements of various types here, only to find they haven't been formally recorded on Geo-Australia. That is in no way a criticism of Geo, as I would imagine it could be an horrendous task to record every single niggle in the ground. It's just that I would be fascinated to see all of the movements plotted.

There were so many other interesting items in that report, that I could bore you to tears with my willingness to chat about them, but I won't continue smile

Regarding the current world quake activity, there are some interesting ones popping up at., such as Madagascar, Canada [I have presumed/said will have tremors in current days/week] and the west Pacific again and again, amongst other regions. Will do a catch up later hopefully.

For now, Duck.

#1402620 - 17/01/2017 09:45 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi all finally.

Well Australia has been 'rocking' along nicely.Most states and Territories have felt tremors, with the largest one, so far, being [in the last 7 days] an M3.5 NE of Carnarvon in WA.

Info - here's an interesting and short 'page' on Tasmania's tremor history [map] and a short explanation/idea as to why these may occur. Tasmanian earthquake patterns

I think that what may be happening in Australia is that the pressures being exerted in the Australian Plate [causing many quakes around the periphery of Oz - Indonesia, south of Australia, NZ and the Pacific Islands...] is irritating some 'typical' locations and may have enough impetus to also niggle some locations not regularly known to shift/niggle with a tremor. The current activity is what I expected to happen and there may be more to come. Generally speaking, the energy is slightly 'all over the place' - meaning the potential for a larger tremor may be there, along with some more locations, not regulars in the earthquake lists, to perhaps show some irritation.

Vic has been registering some isolated niggles and I am sure that Tassie may have been too. I am yet to re-find a seismo set which I can follow for Tasmania. I just need to sit on the computer for a short while to re-find a seismo I saw a while ago.

An M10+ [at a depth of a negative reading] came up recently in northern Africa [Egypt or Libya - I can't remember which country it was]. This was a major glitch, but when it came up I so happened to have the Global Map on the screen momentarily, and immediately went to our seismo's for 'confirmation' of the response to this 'quake'. I knew it was a glitch, but still wanted to see if there was a response on our seismo. This sort of glitch has happened before and if you were 'sitting on' the Global Incident Map the moment they come up, you get a short/sharp shock until seconds later you realize they are a thankful glitch. If a quake that size did come up, everyone around the planet would feel it almost simultaneously.

Another thing I felt would happen is that the energy west of the U.S. has crept into the west of Canada [mostly offshore] and into Alaska. I usually see that the west Of the U.S. comes up primarily along with Alaska - then the west of Canada comes into the picture once the energy gets locked in there from these other places, and then gives. But at the moment, both Alaska and the west U.S. are simultaneously coming up with tremors, with Canada west responding here and there.

Re: Alaska, the eastern side of the Gulf of Alaska is experiencing a bit of a run on tremors west of Juneau. This region has had larger quakes in the past with ongoing after movements.

I know I have missed some of the EQ action, but I will aim to get another post in soon.

Cheers for now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (17/01/2017 09:46)

#1403611 - 22/01/2017 15:52 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
Wow png just had an 8.0m earthquake. This area is so active. Must be stressing other areas of the pacific plate

#1403622 - 22/01/2017 17:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

The PNG/Solomons[Geoscience has it pegged there] was the large quake both myself and Frank [Ditrianum] were suspecting may occur in recent times. I was thinking to myself that it would be in this region, because of the quakes which have been coming up all around this side of the Pacific and Indonesia [was filtering around Japan and the Philippines as well].

So far it seems that, because of the depth of the quake [about 200 deep] was not enough to set off a damaging tsunami. The subsequent quakes are not surprisingly shallow. Water disturbances would have occurred though. Two buoys in the Coral Sea [east of Queensland] and buoys NW of WA have gone off in response. As have a couple up to Japan.

I wouldn't mind betting that there has been some ground/earth damage in the region of the quake. Maybe ground cracks/splits or maybe even a rise in the earth in some spots. More info will come out of the region in the next 24 hours.

Sometimes M8 quakes are accompanied over a fairly short period of time by another fairly substantial quake or two [M6 and up]. The SE side of the Pacific [west coast of South America?], NW side of the Pacific, Central America and/or Alaska may be regions which may be given enough energy to move by degrees too. Alternatively, energy may involve north of the North Island of NZ [Kermadecs] and may nigglr smaller movements in NZ......? [Don't quote me on that though]...just a feeling.

Victoria has had the tremors I felt it would.

Italy has had a nasty run regarding their quakes and the effect they have had on snow accumulation [avalanche - which sadly killed many people].

Always there are other regions feeling tremors and quakes. Will natter on another time.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (22/01/2017 17:52)

#1403903 - 24/01/2017 17:59 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I feel that the large quake in PNG recently has rattled the Pacific enough to set of the west coast of America. There is quite alot of activity there currently. This has also filtered over to Oklahoma, meaning that the plates the U.S. is sitting on has reverberated energy running through them.
Hawaii has simultaneously increased seismic activity too.

I read somewhere two days ago that there is another new small sea volcano going off near Japan...but need to re-check the info on that one.

Australia has responded to increased energy too. See Geoscience Oz here
The latest tremor has come up south [offshore] of WA - Esperance.
Inland QLD [near Quilpie] came up with an M3.2 yesterday and Vic has had 2 tremors. This is the sort of energy I anticipated would start popping up in and around Oz recently. There will be more to come.

So far the potential [?] M6's I felt may have come up in the Pacific haven't occurred, but there is possibly still an immediate time frame [next few days] when this may occur.
NZ [north of] came up with a quake near where I said it would. I mentioned that the location could be the Kermadecs [north of the North Island] but it was just south of there.

For the moment, Duck. [Ducks do have teeth - the dentist told me so today after he worked on two of them crazy wink ]

Edited by duckweather (24/01/2017 18:00)

#1404472 - 30/01/2017 00:58 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
All quiet on the EQ front at the mo but would be on edge if i lived in far nrt California Seattle area

#1404801 - 01/02/2017 08:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Tsunami and all.

As I thought may happen the west of the U.S. has revved up as has Alaska in recent days. Also, in the past I have mentioned to look for additional movements on the west coast of Canada after the movements and possibly as a result of the energy in both of the other countries. If the pressure continues to build on the west [coast] of Canada - if there is enough impetus from the west coast U.S. - there may be another tremor/quake on western Canada.

Many tremors/quakes have come up since my last post across the planet - which, in my mind, seems to be the result of a global 'twitch' [pressure distribution].

Yesterday is saw ribbed clouds forming in Melbourne's outer SE [towards Gippsland] and there was a tremor [M3.4] in the region of Morwell this morning.

Australia has been jiggling along in fairly focused areas of WA and SA. I mentioned in my last post that there would be more to come, and there might be more again - as the energy influencing the quakes/tremors [I feel] is still present. The energy for lower Australia may be being influenced by the lower regions of the Western-Indian Antarctic Ridge - where an M5 came up on the 29th January.

For now, Duck.

#1404914 - 02/02/2017 00:56 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Eevo Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Adelaide Hills
been a while since i felt an earthquake in adelaide.
im guessing that was 3.5ish it lasted a good 10 seconds, i could feel it approaching, peak and then recede.

#1404919 - 02/02/2017 01:20 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: NE suburbs, Adelaide, South Au...
3.7 near Murray bridge. Most of adelaide and surrounds felt it.

#1404931 - 02/02/2017 08:09 Re: Earthquakes [Re: teckert]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi all.

There's the activity [causing tremors] for Oz I was expecting. Near Airlie Beach [QLD] and Murray Bridge in SA, have added to Australia's collection, so far, of tremors.
NT, ACT and Tassie haven't rumbled yet, as far as I know, in the last few days.

Short post for me atm., cheers Duck wink

#1405068 - 02/02/2017 21:37 Re: Earthquakes [Re: teckert]
Seina Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Adelaide Hills
Originally Posted By: teckert
3.7 near Murray bridge. Most of adelaide and surrounds felt it.

Bold - Agree.

Edited by -Cosmic- (naz) (02/02/2017 21:38)

#1405945 - 07/02/2017 18:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Seina]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

A quicky post for the moment.

An M5.7 at 606kms deep has just been registered by Geoscience Australia. But...none of the seismographs have picked this up. Quake occurred 22 minutes ago east of Queensland [about 1000kms off the coast]. Did it happen? Will wait and see.
Global Incidents Map -EQ's
Geoscience Australia
seismographs [updating every few mintes ...evious reading]

Back later, Duck.

#1405980 - 07/02/2017 21:15 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

That M5.7 I mentioned in my previous post was a glitch. I was watching our seismo's at the time and because nothing registered on them, I knew it must have been a hiccup in the system. Though, I have seen this happen before on one occasion, and it was like a premonition of a quake for a region which went on to have an M5+[+]. Obviously this may not happen for the New Caledonia region - I am not 'predicting' anything here for this region but it was an interesting glitch all the same.
here's a bit of history on larger quakes in New Caledonia - Larger quakes in this region recorded

As you can see for this region, they are not immune to large quakes and they are usually fairly shallow. Many of the deep quakes near this region [Fiji for example] are more in line with movements associated with the plate edges - where the Pacific Plate meets the Australian Plate, for example.

In other regions recently, the energy seems to have 'travelled' [in my mind] through from the Pacific west and through [and possibly up from the north Indian Ocean] into China -> along the Himalayas -> into the Middle east and onto the Northern Mediterranean regions [including Greece in this general grouping of locations].
The Mediterranean has actually been moderately quiet. There was a time last year where the nearly whole of the Mediterranean was rattling somewhere. This included the northern reaches of the African continent.

I am getting a sneaking suspicion that there may be an M6+ brewing in the western Pacific [NW?] or in the Mediterranean.

The eastern side of the Atlantic has been rather quiet - near Spain, Gibraltar, Portugal, the Funchal and the Canary Islands.....which, of course, is a good thing.

Australia is, in this moment, in a lull after a good run of tremors, some of which were quite a reasonable size for our continent - M3.5+'s. It seems the lower part of the Oz Plate was not a happy chappy and may have been pushing energy into the southern states. QLD, I feel, was responding to EQ activity [energy] emanating form their north, NE and east [away from the coast].

The mountain regions on the eastern side of Oz [NSW and possibly Vic] may have been responding to energy coming in from the Tasman Sea and Bass Strait [Vic].

The U.S. west is still caught up in a slightly heightened series of energy bursts - varying in intensity, as is Alaska.

Japan is feeling almost constant subtle tremors, with the odd M4+ showing up on quake maps. I am getting a feeling they may come up with a few M5's soon.

Volcanoes in several countries and offshore in some spots are being energized at the moment. I feel what is driving their activity is mostly related to many of the larger EQ's energy drive. Hawaii is a good example of this I feel. Even though we haven't seen an M5 in Hawaii [a good dose of energy to cause an M5], I feel this region is being empowered with volcanic activity related to what is driving the EQ activity in the west U.S. and the west Pacific. Watch the west coast of the U.S.. If they have a run of tremors/quakes I usually see Hawaii very soon respond with tremor activity too. If prolonged in Hawaii, the volcanoes start increasing in activity. The most recent vision of the volcanic activity in Hawaii is stunning to watch.
Kilauea video here.

For now, Duck.

#1406567 - 10/02/2017 13:01 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: NE suburbs, Adelaide, South Au...
another weak earth tremor just felt here in Adelaide.
Felt widely across sth burbs but I also picked it up here in the NE.
2.7 near Morphett Vale is the initial recording.

edit: GeoScience has revised it... Epicentre to be at Darlington.... bit odd they were fair way off to start with - its a completely different fault line...

Edited by teckert (10/02/2017 14:20)

#1407084 - 11/02/2017 19:23 Re: Earthquakes [Re: teckert]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi all and teckert.

I think Geo tries to register a location a.s.a.p. then refine the location after reviewing all the base's readings. When you watch this set of seismo's [Sa & Vic & Canberra] the readings, you can tell quite accurately where the quake has occurred [sort of]. The first seismo site to register the movement is fairly close to where the quake can be epicentered. I have read these several times and accurately pinpointed the regions [or very close to] the epicenters of quakes and tremors in South Australia. Vic is easier to read [epicenter] when a couple of other seismographs around Vic are read in conjunction with the above link. NSW/Canberra also needs to ascertained by reading several other [sites] seismographs - along with the link above.

Interesting that the Adelaide tremor was felt across quite a distance. Maybe [and I mean maybe ] Adelaide or somewhere nearby may go on to feel another tremor - M3+? South Australia's tremors are generally [atm] following long a very general line at the moment from Adelaide - east of Claire and NE of Port Augusta [not in that order]. It may even be that Kangaroo Island could come up with a tremor...?

Western Australia's current tremors are coming up in 'predictable' in the SW.

Japan came up with several tremors I was expecting. I said they may be around the M5 region, and mostly were under this over M4.5.

The large quake I was anticipating came up in Pakistan, which was halfway [line] between what I mentioned as potential areas of the Mediterranean and the west Pacific. So I was wrong wiht the possible location, but it was on a direct 'line' from the two locations I mentioned.
The Philippines also had a fairly large quake today [our time].

An interesting quake came up in Malawi [lower east of Africa] and this may be a sign that Madagascar may come up with an M5...?

Canada [west coast] is responding again to energy from/involving Alaska and the west coast of America. I feel that the region of Yellowstone is influencing the activity in the states west of it, and the tremors further down the west coast of the U.S. [California] is plate/fault related. Again I see [in my mind's eye] that Hawaii's action [EQ and volcano] may be related/married to the U.S. western region.

I feel that Oklahoma and surrounds may rev up more and could see an M4 or quite a few M3's.

I still feel that there may be yet another larger quake somewhere - possibly up to or around M7ísh. Something is brewing.

On another note, the birds around here were dead quiet for about an hour this arvo. Maybe it was weather related - we had a some lightning/thunder earlier, and the bird silence was a couple of hours before that. Though, I think we may feel a small tremor here at some point.

For now, Duck.

#1407502 - 13/02/2017 13:46 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

As I felt would/could happen, Victoria came up with a tremor after I noticed the silence in the wild birds. On that day I also felt a very, very small movement to the west, which also had me a thinkin' that we were in for a tremor somewhere in Vic east.

South Australia has come up with another tremor near the Flinders Region today, an M2.7 at 10 deep. Kangaroo Island hasn't come up with a movement I thought it might. The energy went from near Adelaide up to the Booleroo Centre [Flinders] instead of south. The tremor today was followed with an after-movement about 20 minutes later.

The regions/countries to the north of Oz have been feeling quite a few quakes in the last 24 hours. It seems that the northern reaches of the Australian Plate is being 'driven' up and into these regions. The west of the Pacific Plate is on the move too causing quakes down the western side and through New Zealand.

The eastern side of the Pacific Plate is active too - re: the U.S. and Alaska. Western Canada, again, is following on with energy causing quakes/tremors off their coast.

Oklahoma has come up with the run of M3's I said it would, as it is being re-energized.

For now, Duck.

#1407549 - 13/02/2017 18:11 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again for today.

Just a short post for now.

Did anyone else in the east/SE of Melbourne feel a short and sharp small jolt about an hour ago? I was standing still in the kitchen when the plates did a quick rattle in the kitchen cupboard, a shut door thumped and a few seconds after that, curiously, two doves [together] hit the window I was standing beside. Aside from the doves, the small and sharp jolt even had one of my cats bug-eyed and checking out the plate cupboard [under a bench]. Maybe I just needed the coffee I was about to make wink and we have ghosts instead smile

The energy in the northern Oz Plate is still showing itself [since my last post today]. An M4.7 came up in eastern Indonesia - next door to PNG.

I still get a feeling a larger quake is brewing somewhere. Maybe the multiple quakes in the west Pacific [nearer to Indonesia or PNG or Vanuatu or Fiji or Japan...????] are somewhat of an indicator that there is more to come - a larger one brewing [M6+???]. I could be wrong. It could be that a larger quake may come up on the opposite side of the planet...? Will see what transpires in the next 36 hours.

For now, Duck.

#1407615 - 13/02/2017 23:41 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

3rd post for today blush

Anyway, I thought I would add this very interesting link here that I have just come across. I am not stating that this situation with the dam is related to quake activity.......but it is very curious. Maybe caused by aging, storm water pressure...not sure - let's hope it holds;

potential flood event (U.S.] RSOE EDIS Report

For now, Duck.

Page 123 of 154 < 1 2 ... 121 122 123 124 125 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
aussie_thunder, Davem29, Joidy, kymm, Pinhead, Steveo1, tramar
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image