NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 46 of 154 < 1 2 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1212828 - 08/10/2013 19:39 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petros]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Petros, you are too kind...cheers.

I am not always right though. Also, I can't cover every movement (EQ that is) that occurs because of other commitments. But when I sometimes notice or feel something (EQ that is, again smile ), I like to jot it here or in a diary, if I am home to do so.
I just hope you guys aren't getting sick of me sometimes, especially when I overdo my posting some days blush

Anyway, the only movements I wouldn't want to share my feelings on would be those if I grabbed those cat-worming pills instead of the h'ache tonic - what a cat-astrophy that would be....

Anyway folks, for now....Duck.

#1212839 - 08/10/2013 21:15 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

This was the strange feeling I have been getting tonight - the Banda Sea initial quake was not going to be the end of the strange vibration 'movement' I felt. It felt like there was more to this quake and that there was a greater shift happening in the Pacific....

Another Banda Sea quake (M4.5+) then,
Davao Philippines, M4.7 just then,
and straight after this;
the Central East Pacific Rise M4.4.

This may be a mini flurry of movement, and I hope I am wrong (probably am) that there may be more to come.
At first I felt that there may be a larger quake, but this may be actually panning out as a series of plate related quakes...will see...

Duck (sorry for the multiple posts tonight).

#1212866 - 09/10/2013 08:03 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just a quick note for now,

If you want to keep up with the EQ's in the Pacific and elsewhere, the Earthquake Report has quick updates of current quakes.
The Pacific is still rattling, with the lastest moderate quakes being PNG, Vanuatu, the Kuril Islands...to name a few.

Cheers, Duck.

#1212903 - 09/10/2013 15:53 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

There seems to have been another double movement earthquake/s, but I can't find anything on it at the moment, but I am guessing it was the Banda Sea, possibly an M4+....will see

Duck.

#1212918 - 09/10/2013 18:07 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Well I'm tossed...I can't find anything on the movements I mentioned above (looked in most 'places' in the short time I have had today).
For some reason the number 9/13 or 9:13 or 9 and 13 (in whatever combo) is sticking with me today. And...as I always say, "this may mean nothing". (This may relate to Indonesia, or elsewhere...???)

Unless it has been a moderately quiet day on the EQ front or my computer has developed a 'personality', it appears that some of the EQ monitoring sites haven't recorded too many tremors.I suppose thankfully it has been a less EQ rattling day so far.
One site didn't record a tremor for 2 hours, which I thought was a little unusual.

The Oklahoma region has had a bit of an EQ swarm today.
Japan has registered several EQ's/tremors too.
The west coast of the U.S. has been rattling along with small tremors today.
Our seismo's are still showing the odd jitters/irritations, some of which are localized movements and others reverberations from distant quakes. I still feel that the south of the Oz continent (considering Macquarie Island movements) is not completely 'settled' yet.

Our neighbours in NZ are still feeling fairly consistent rattles on both islands. White Island may become an issue again.

For now folks,
Duck.

#1212957 - 09/10/2013 22:47 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

The following pics are just current cloud observations, uploaded with ImageShack and the snippets - courtesy of WZ sat pics.

W.A.

S.A.

California has been enduring another tremor swarm in the last couple of hours.
The Middle East/Mediterranean regions may experience a couple of moderate tremors in the short term, i.e. some raised activity. An M4 has already come up in Iran and a couple of smaller tremors in Turkey.

The Pacific has not eased up much and continues to throw up a seemingly continuous M4+ here and there. For the moment, I can't shake off the feeling that a larger (moderate +) EQ may occur in a Pacific region. I may be wrong.

For the moment,
Duck.

#1212965 - 09/10/2013 23:36 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Seina Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Adelaide Hills
For information...

There was a paper published in 2009:
“Metivier et al. 2009 “Evidence of earthquake triggering by the solid earth tides.” Earth and Planetary Science Letters 278 (2009): 370-375.”

When associated with this: The Weather Cycle, it seems to get more interesting…overlapping several threads.

Edited by -Cosmic- (naz) (09/10/2013 23:40)

#1213001 - 10/10/2013 10:43 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Seina]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi cosmic (naz) and all.
I have no internet at home atm. I have called in to annoy a friend for 5 minutes just to jot this note smile
Not sure when I will be adding more bits and pieces here, hopefully soon.
Cheers for now,
Duck.

#1213100 - 10/10/2013 20:45 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Finally got this internet of mine to work (hope it doesn't crash as I type this... crazy )

Anyway, Cosmic (naz), The avenues of consideration and thought regarding the cause, signal and even possible prediction of earthquakes is expanding. Some sectors of science are skeptical of some other sectors of scientific thought and/or study and/or observations.

What I feel would be the ideal, would be for a collaborative consideration and gathering of all ideas (even those considered left-of-centre - like cloud effects theorists) and application of all related sciences (e.g. understanding of electrical, hydro-, thermal, geo-, physics, solar, lunar, chemistry and so on) to perceive how all or many of these elements/areas may interrelate, co-effect, contradict, annul, unify, influence (and so on) each other in parts or as a whole - regarding earth/geo activity.

I have always believed that 'nature' and its' behaviours in various forms are or can be effective of the other.
As an axample, if you remove an element in nature, let's say water from a water table, then the compensation for nature might be in the form of a land collapse? -> earthquakes/tremors?

There are several known causes of earthquakes, as well as possible precursors. Marrying the science, hypotheses, observations surrounding such, I believe will serve to benefit us all. Though Mother Nature can be mysterious at times, I feel that future scientific knowledge may unite the many ideas for a collective understanding and reasoning as to a fuller understanding of the dynamics of this beautiful planet of ours.

Just revisiting some observations of my own after the Lilydale 'explosive' tremor this year, I observed several vertical clouds immediately in the hour after the tremor.
My belief is that these were vapor expulsions at various points along a fault line.
'Ribbed clouds' also observed at other times, I feel were signs of geo-electrical emissions given off by the agitation of a fault line (underground friction). I am not sure about this, but this could also (the spaces between the clouds) be heat streams being emitted from this agitation.

Now...I must mention here (yet again) that these are not scientific conclusions on my behalf...I am not a scientist. They are just feelings or suspicions only.

Anyway, I hope I made sense with the above jottings...I could bore you for hours with my thoughts on this stuff grin

Got a wee feeling that the NW and SE of the Pacific may 'act' up with moderate+ EQ's.
I have already mentioned that I feel that from the Mediterranean over to near Pakistan may increase activity, and Turkey has just had a mini cluster of small tremors. When I see clusters, I feel there may be signs of fault irritations (maybe associated with volcanic activity in some regions ?????) gearing up for a more moderate movement.

I won't gabble on any more for now. I may have already put you all to sleep by now blush

Cheers, Duck.

#1213150 - 11/10/2013 10:54 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Being one (a nerd) for interesting curiosities, on the Earthquake Report site - for October 9 , there was an interesting report from a person in Key Largo, Florida, regarding his/her observation of "long sets of swells" (after an M4 in the waters of the east coast??) as they ventured out to sea in a boat. They felt it was unusual and these swells just may have been a repercussion of the EQ on that day.

Kamchatka has been quite active (volcano related) and I'm wondering if my suspicions of a potential larger moderate EQ may emanate from this region or somewhere along the north or NW of the Pacific...?

For the moment,
Duck.

#1213207 - 11/10/2013 20:54 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

A few areas which may come up with tremors/EQ’s could be;
SW of Eureka/NW of San Francisco – offshore/coast (and inland slightly east in the mountain ranges near the border with Nevada)
Halfway between the NW coast of Australia and SW of Bali – at sea
SW off the coast/at sea of the Sth. Island off NZ
Some others I'll note later if I get time.

There has been a noticeable uptick in the number of moderate quakes in the Pacific and elsewhere today.
After somewhat of a lull in these larger tremors, a cycle of M4+’s has renewed today, with Pakistan coming back into the picture –maybe more activity to come in this region.
Although many regions, - the U.S. west coast (including Yellowstone); Mediterranean; Middle East ; Pacific edges have all been active, instead of seeing a region or two being active, then another at an alternate time.

The NW and north of the Pacific and SE (South America) has become active, also as I felt it may.

Puerto Rico (or surrounding region)is still a region which I'm still feeling may come up with a moderate EQ.

For the moment, Duck.

Post note;
After I had finished typing this in Word, the California tremor of M3.4 in the ranges east of San Francisco (near the border with Nevada)came up, which I had a gut feeling it would.

#1213234 - 12/10/2013 08:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Our neighbours in New Zealand have had several moderate tremors today - an M5.4 (NE tip of North island), and strongly felt M4.8 and M4.6 also in the North Island near the east coast (on land). Unfortunately, I feel there may be a few more to come in the short term.
See GEONET here

Brittany/NW France has also experienced an M4+ and another lesser tremor, which is near Jersey (remember I mentioned that word "Jersey" as one which was standing out to me in my mind a couple of days ago?).
See here - for reports/comments from France (mostly in French)

California has been, and will be, quite active in bursts too.
I am really only repeating myself when I say that the Pacific plate (and associated volcanoes) is not in a very good mood at the moment. Many M4+'s to be seen and felt currently.

Indonesia, NW of the Australian continent, began serving up M5+'s again and another may occur in the region I mentioned in my last post (way SE of Bali?).

Anyway folks, for the moment,
Duck.

Post note; no sooner had I finished typing the above and posting, the Kermadecs have come up with a "severe" M6.3.

Edited by duckweather (12/10/2013 08:58)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1213248 - 12/10/2013 10:41 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

An M5 has occurred WNW of Eureka, California at 10->15kms deep.
There is no tsunami warning issued and this is just north of the region I refer to a fair bit for the possibility of a moderate EQ.
The fault this quake appears to be associated with is the Cascadia Fault line (described on the USGS site as the "Cascadia megathrust' fault zone.
This fault zone continues northward and 'parallel' to the Canadian coast. Having said this, I get a wee feeling that this quake may influence movement up the Cascadia (Canada).
There will be and are aftershocks happening near Eureka, which are dwindling in size, but one a little bigger than the little ones may follow on (in the mix of aftershocks).

See here for comments from the folks in California regarding their experience of these quakes.
The M5 involved 2 movements - the first was a shifting/grinding movement, then the second was the movement that let loose the M5.

More soon,
Duck.

#1213367 - 13/10/2013 01:35 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I've had an unfortunate sneaking suspicion for a while now that the Mediterranean region (towards Greece/Turkey west) was going to experience a sizable EQ and they (Crete)have just had an M6.4, quite shallow.
USGS info
Earthquake Report info and community responses/comments
Don't know what damage has been caused yet or injury to the folks in this region.

Another region I had mentioned that I was keeping an 'eye on' was Puerto Rico "or a surrounding region". This too came up with an M6 (offshore Venezuela) today.

Crete will endure aftershocks. This EQ occurred near a fault/plate edge which runs from Pakistan, all the way through Iran, Iraq, Turkey then west past Crete.
Let's hope no-one in the above quake regions has been poorly affected, though I am guessing there will be/have been water/sea disturbances in these areas.

For now, Duck.

#1213394 - 13/10/2013 11:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Good morning folks.

Well what an interesting last 24 hours or less it has been. There have been many M4+'s, and up, dotted around the globe. It almost seemed like a ping-pong effect. I would guess that there was a 'generalized' shifting/movement in many of the plates, instead of sectional behaviour - i.e. localized (in a couple of places) versus a global agitation.

In Crete, there were reports of the movement lasting up to nearly a minute of shaking/rolling/wave-like motion, which is an unnerving amount of time and a considerable unsettledness of plate behaviour.
A couple of people even described a strong gust of wind preceding the EQ, which I thought was curious.
One older lady injured herself trying to jump out of a window and supermarkets had their shelves rattled sharply, knocking supplies on the floor. Luckily it seems that no-one was killed and structures managed to stand the movement. The aftereffect of the quake left many people feeling sick, some disorientated momentarily and others dizzy. The sway/boat-like movement that several folks felt, left them feeling sea-sick.

The initial "P" waves associated with the production of a quake can make you feel like your equilibrium is 'off' and can have the effect of feeling you have moved side-ways (even if the subsequent "S" wave movement does move the ground sideways). This can be very disorientating and can leave some feeling like they need to gather/right their equilibrium again. It can also sometimes feel like sea-sickness, dizziness and maybe even induce nausea in some....

Some folks in California's M5 yesterday, described the feeling of being lifted up during their EQ.

Luckily it appears with all of the EQ's so far that the movements haven't created disasters for related communities.

For the moment, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (13/10/2013 11:25)
Edit Reason: spelling again

#1213444 - 13/10/2013 20:21 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

A great majority of the quakes (predominantly M5 and +) have been along plate edges. Generally speaking also, the smaller quakes have been mostly along faults.

The folks in Fiji definitely felt the M5.1 near Suva in Fiji. Some reported fears of a tsunami being generated, feeling side to side sway and rattles.

Iceland's M4.8 and a follow on tremor/s have also rattled locals there.

The number of M5's (and +'s) has been quite incredible in the last couple of days. I would imagine that there is not a nook on the planet that hasn't felt at least a vibration of any degree from these quakes. I sometimes wonder what the sea-life and land creatures 'feel' when all this sort of movement goes on. I wonder what it does too, for example, the sonar sensitivities of many sea creatures.

Also, I'd be fascinated to see an computer representation of any electrical (etc.) activity given off by (from the earth's surface and below) all of this activity...if any of you know of such a program, can you point me in that direction, unless I find one on the net in the meantime...

For the moment (gotta cut a birthday cake for an excited birthday boy) smile ,
Cheers for now, Duck.

#1213528 - 14/10/2013 10:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Below is the current "last 7 days" image of Australia and surrounding regions - image uploaded with ImageShack and the pic snippet courtesy of Geoscience.

Macquarie Islands' quakes date from the 9th October (yellow circle) to today's EQ (red circle). Notice how the 'energy' had traveled north or this latest EQ may be an indicator of some generalized/intermittent instability (by degrees) of the plates/trenches in this region. Pressure coming from the east and/or south (Antarctic) ??? Could be wrong here.
I'm not implying a disaster scenario here, but I wonder if another tremor (smaller?) may occur towards Tasmania (SW? ish) or a moderate one perhaps central/south or SSW of the Australian continent?? Will see.

The above map doesn't show New Zealand's many EQ/tremors.

For now, busy Duck.

#1213583 - 14/10/2013 16:14 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Central and southern California are off and running with tremor clusters again. A few folks there may be feeling that "not again" given their recent experience of a cluster, then an M5 off the coast of Eureka. Hopefully this is just a minor 'adjustment' and not a build up to a moderate quake. Interestingly, though, Mount St. Helens came up with a small tremor.
Hawaii has been feeling small semi-regular tremors too, corresponding with movements in California - this may just be a coincidence.

Northern California near Eureka, has been sneaking up with small movements during South and Central California's tremor cluster.
There may be an M3 (+? or ++?) to come for the Cali region.

For the moment, Duck.

#1213603 - 14/10/2013 18:45 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

3rd post for today blush

Anyways, I have had a closer look at where the bulk of the California clustering is in the south. It appears that there is a concentration of continuous small tremors occurring in the Salton Sea, NNW of Brawley. A couple of years ago (and perhaps at a time I haven't looked into yet) Brawley had a moderate EQ, which displayed movement which was 'sliding' side-to-side in motion, as well as the associated rumble. This EQ was an M4+.

Running up from the south towards Brawley is the Imperial Fault (quite sizable) and from the Salton Sea -> NW, is the San Andreas Fault. There are other 'minor' fault lines scattered in this general region, but the current tremors seem to be a the conjoining 'sections' of the two larger faults mentioned above.
A couple of other tremors have occurred to the west of this region, inland from the coast.

Global Incident Map - Earthquakes
Have a look at the list of tremors the Salton Sea region is experiencing (showing as "Southern California" on the Global Map).

For now, Duck.

#1213652 - 14/10/2013 23:20 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

As I type this note, there is somewhat of a lull in general EQ activity, except for the odd small tremors and the Gulf of Aden M4.7 and Indonesia, Sulawesi M4.8...which is a good thing. But I don't think the 'quiet' will last for too long unfortunately.

I'm a bit distracted at the moment, as my pair of budgies clutch of eggs have started to hatch. I'm going to be a granny grin Well....sort of...
5 eggs and hopefully 5 chicks.

Cheers proud Duck.

Page 46 of 154 < 1 2 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 53 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
annair, marestails, Quasar, typhoontim
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image