NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 93 of 154 < 1 2 ... 91 92 93 94 95 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1330511 - 31/05/2015 12:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Mr Buzle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Lake Macquarie NSW
Hi! Been reading this thread for years and check it nearly everyday. Last night I went to see the movie San Andreas - great movie for special effects! Anyway without giving too much away I noticed that the event in the movie started with irritations then a bigger quake in Nevada. I immediately thought back to the USGS site I check regularly thanks to a link DW suggested a while back and how there have been a number of smaller quakes in that region, more than I have noticed previously. I know it's only a movie but thought I would share this anyway.

#1330570 - 31/05/2015 19:29 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Mr Buzle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi Mr Buzle - great to see you here.

I am looking forward to seeing that movie too. Being an old graphic designer and set maker, I am interested in the special effects. I s'pose I am a bit morbid in being interested in disaster movies. But on one hand, these movies sometimes (and I am thinking of some past movies) actually seem to hint at the odd warning as to what could happen if all hell broke loose.

The large quake in Japan's Bonin region hinted it was going to happen when folks there reported feeling a movement before it hit. The quake has been touted as a subduction quake and had a familiar rolling and side to side effect when the larger one came through. The whole of Japan felt it and was also felt thousands of miles away in Russia, India and China. I am sure there would have also been some other regions which felt this incredibly deep quake too.
It had the folks in Japan very worried that it was the sort of quake which may create another tsunami like the one in 2011. Thank goodness this was not the case.

I read somewhere earlier today that some scientists were surprised at the size of this quake and at the depth it was. Nothing, though, surprises me when Mother Earth decides 'she' wants to rearrange the furniture. The foundations run deep and I have this vision (in my mind's eye) that way down there the magma clusters beneath the mantle are activated and drawn up to affect the plates' behaviours sometimes by forces that may be associated with gravity and influences of elements in the solar system. I feel that what happens on earth (earthquake wise) does not always act in isolation from the potential influence of other 'forces'.
A site I find interesting to read, which relates to what I said in the last paragraph, is an example of the 'electric universe' - The Electric Universe

I always try to keep an open mind when I occasionally look at alternative or established theories or information. I don't delve into much info though, as I like to be true to just my own intuition regarding my feelings of EQ behaviours.

The quakes that throw up the rolling and side to side movements appear to be the quakes which can be caused by subduction, where one plate is driving under another - like Japan. But....plates that grind past each other can also give off this affect (example - the U.S west coast). Some subduction quakes can throw off very sudden and damaging quakes when one plate gets snagged, before the pressure of the down-driving plate pushes the plate past the 'catch' to release in explosive energy. These can be some of the most violent quakes.

There can be many variables in results of various causes/resultant movements and damage from different quakes.
* The indo-Australian plate is driving under Indonesia and the NE tip of is pushing up into the Bay of Bengal.

Actually, rather than me rattling on about the type of plate movements, here's a link to List of Plate Tectonics Interactions

When we had a tremor here, a couple of years ago, which emanated from a hidden fault line 1km from where I am (my prediction as to its location - with a sighting of steam? rising from a specific location just before the tremor), I felt a distinct and minor shift in the position of the ground beneath me - from east to west. I was facing east and sitting on my bed at that time. The movement of the tremor made me dip forward by about 1 foot to the east - indicating a westward ground movement. I have mentioned this in a past post/s, so sorry if I am boring those who have already read about this smile

So....earth movements can create various experiences for us, which can vary from rises in the earth or lowering; side-to-side movements; rolling (like in a boat at sea); shuddering (like a washing machine on spin); thumps under your 'feet'; jerking from side-to-side; up-and-down bumping and so on.

The noises coming from quakes/tremors and ground movements can be loud cracks, soft to loud rumbles; explosions; roaring; rumbling; grinding; high pitched metallic sounds (sometimes heard as "the trumpets"); booming (like quarry blasts) and rising or descending sounds - to name a few.

What a human (or animal) may feel from a quake may be nausea, ringing in the ears (this can happen before a quake), dizziness, disorientation, the feeling that the ground has moved 30 feet sideways (apart from the ground actually moving in some cases, this can be the 'P' waves passing through), and so on. Animals can usually display very good precursory behaviours (before a quake) with fretting, hiding, whinging, running away, catatonia (frozen with anticipation or concern) and so on. There have been a couple of occasions where I have witnessed dead silence in birds minutes before tremors, as an example.

I have just realized how much I have prattled on here blush

P.s. I feel Bonin hasn't finished moving yet, so some more quakes may come up.....

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (31/05/2015 19:32)
Edit Reason: extra again

#1330647 - 01/06/2015 13:19 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks, just a quickie post for now...

On the 29th may, before midnight - about 11pm?, I said in a post that I had felt a bump;
Quote:
We felt a very small and sharp jolt here about 30 minutes ago, but you would have had to have been still to notice it. Makes me wonder if one of the fault/s that have caused Moe's and other locations east of here (one was the next suburb to me) may be feeling a little pressure at the moment...??? It wouldn't surprise me if we had a tremor which others may feel....

As it was a tremor was recorded by Geoscience (just put up on their site today) near Trafalgar and Moe - an M2.5 at 10kms deep. Their records state that it occurred after 1am (Sydney time on the 30th May). Interesting...I had a feeling we were in for a tremor and the seismo's NE and NW of Melbourne are still intermittently recording some isolated short and sharp small movements....another one to come for Vic I wonder?

For now, Duck.

#1330726 - 02/06/2015 13:03 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks, just a short post again.

Have a look at this report on the off shore M5.8 which occurred some hours ago - note the mention of the sea floor dropping (in April) and the location near the volcanic mounds which I talked about a while ago....

Shallow M5.8 earthquake registered 180 k...n June 01, 2015

The planet is still 'ringing' slightly like a bell, with M5's dotting around the Pacific as I suspected would happen and in other places around the world - with movements (some smaller) along major plate edges....

For the moment, Duck.

Just a little extra - this seimo in Victoria is showing the slight bell-ringing I am talking about. Leon Mow Radio Observatory

Edited by duckweather (02/06/2015 13:05)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1331061 - 06/06/2015 00:08 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Just realized that I didn't paste an EQ post here after I did a post for the volcano thread the other day - silly me.

Anyway, forget the old post that I forgot and we'll start afresh for today smile

I found these 2 reports tonight about some animal behaviours in the general vicinities of recent tremors/quakes. Now, I am not saying these are precursors or post quake behaviours and they may not be related to such, but I thought they were interesting. These are only a couple of locations which have witnessed some curious animal behaviours lately;

"Biblical scenes filmed in China as tens...biblical-scene" This one mentions heavy rains as the cause for the toad invasion....

and "British beach invasion as hundreds of 4...h-coast-shores"
There has been rather a cluster of tremors in the English Channel and close to France (across the Channel) with the largest being an M4.2 today on the France side of the Channel.

Australia has come up with a few more (not surprising) tremors, with the NT feeling an M3.6, M3.2 and M3.1 in a short space of time in the same location of Tennant Creek. This location is not immune to larger tremors.
SA and WA have also each had a couple of tremors. I am still surprised that QLD hasn't had a tremor yet....

The M6.2 at 12kms deep in Malaysia 14 hours ago, was in a region where the mountain range is rising by some small amount (I can't remember the actual cms or mm's) each year. If I remember correctly, the mountain growth is not due to a volcano but forces underneath associated with fault/plate behaviour - but don't quote me on that. There is a dormant (?) volcano to the south-east on an opposite coastline (facing out into the Celebes Sea) some 300kms away.

The Pacific, including NZ, has been continuing to throw up M5's and other quakes, with the west coast of South America showing rather consistent movements atm. These range from M3 upwards. There may be a chance of an M5+ or M5++ potential there at some point....could be wrong.

Either ends of the Himalayas, and this include Nepal in the middle, are still active. Nepal, particularly, still hasn't stopped moving intermittently.

I was expecting Iceland to come back into the picture recently, and it did. They have felt quakes to the north and the south of their lands on the main ridge, and I have a bit of a feeling that they may go on to feel some more volcanic related tremors....may be wrong..

For now, Duck.

#1331140 - 07/06/2015 19:55 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I am going to deviate from my normal EQ notes for the moment, as I jot some curiosities which came to mind after seeing a report on one of the Stawell (Vic) goldmines going to be used for a major scientific study to search for the presence of 'dark matter' and/or of they can discover such.
When I saw this report (links below), the reporter (on the news last night) mentioned how warm and humid it was 1km down in the mine. As usual, my inquisitiveness got the better of me and I tried to find some info on heat emanating from the earths core at various depths (re: earth's internal heat sources). I have always thought that there are variances in the temperatures of the earth at various depths due to the composition of the terrain and location to plate edges, volcanoes etc...

Anyway, I have added these links for interest sake and the 33 page report is a bit sciency for me, but some of you may be interested in it.
Obscure mention by me;
It mentions radon, which is given off (and up) through the Earth's crust, and is something which can cause health problems in unventilated small rooms if the rooms are not ventilated properly (something I have always thought was the case).

"Dark Matter Direct Detection in Australia" - Melbourne University

Wikipedia's description of heat dispursal in the Earth

" Underground Temperatures Thomas L. Wat..., pp. 828-831 " Note the date - 1911

Why have I added this small sample of info here....well....I have sometimes wondered whether the temperature, under-surface fluidity, volcanic locations, plate edge proximity (to EQ's and volcanoes), depths and geological structures/landforms (in various depths to/on/through to the crust - and perhaps below such, may have a direct relation to some EQ's and EQ behaviour.

I suppose the way to look at all this is to think laterally, collating many pieces of info on Earth's presentations and see how many a time one aspect of Earth's behaviour is not necessarily presented or occurs in isolation from several other natural elements, e.g. sources of heat, moisture, movements, gases etc...

Okey dokey...back to the EQ's.

The eastern side of the Pacific has revved up a bit with the number of EQ's occurring along the coasts of the America's. The western side of the Pacific is still moving in various places and both sides may continue to do so until we may see another M6 pop up somewhere. There just seems to too much continual movement on both side of the Pacific, which says to me that the whole region has become just a little more unstable in the last 24 hours or so....

My 'mind's-eye' see a jaggered horizontal line running from west-to-east/east-to-west from the western side of the Pacific (around the Philippines region) -> through the Himalayas (past Nepal which is still moving) -> all the way through the surrounds of the Arabian Peninsula + Pakistan + Iran general locations -> all the way over to the Mediterranean regions -> towards Spain/Portugal.
What I mean by this is that 'energy' (again - in my 'mind's-eye') is coming up from the south to the centre of this imaginary jiggered/horizontal line, and in from also the west (right side of the 'line'), and from the south and a tinge from the west for the western side of the 'line'...I hope that made sense....

*** On the right side you have countries such as the Philippines/Vietnam/Taiwan/lower SE China;
*** In the centre of the 'line' you have countries such as Nepal/India/Myanmar/Pakistan/Tajikistan/Saudi Arabia etc..
*** On the western or left side of the 'line' you have countries such as Turkey/Greece/Italy/Bulgaria/Romania/Spain/Algeria etc...

I leave it here for the moment, so that my post is not too long and I hope I haven't bored or confused you with what I have jotted here smile

For now, Duck.

#1331236 - 08/06/2015 23:36 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

As I suspected, the Pacific has thrown up an M6 in Japan (this was one of the regions I was feeling may experience an M6 or M6+ today. The others were the Aleutian Islands and/or Chile general region. Central America - west coast - was another I thought may come up with an M6).

The energy causing the quakes in the Pacific has now included the Galapagos Island region and Easter Island today. Easter Island has actually had two quakes today. SW of Tonga (listed as south of Fiji) has had a fairly deep (over 500kms) M5+ as well today.

A small tremor occurred in Belgium in the last 24 hours (subtle energy still sneaking around near the Netherlands and northern France).

The Indian Ocean (Carlsberg Ridge) came up with an M5+ 2 hours ago. This is a plate edge which runs NNW up to the south of Oman (at sea in the Arabian Gulf) and south - parallel to Madagascar (way to the east of).

There are other 'usual' locations popping up with tremors and the Mediterranean has, till now, had mainly smaller tremors.

For now, Duck.

#1331302 - 09/06/2015 16:23 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Chrissy Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Lockyer Valley, QLD.
Hi Duck,

I've been reading your posts for a while, just love it!

I have heard that Lake Toba in Indonesia has recently become active and I would like to hear your thoughts on this, there is not much about it in the media which I find strange but concerning..

Thanks in advance :-)

#1331309 - 09/06/2015 17:06 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Chrissy]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Chrissy.

Thanks for your kind words, muchly appreciated wink

You are right about Lake Toba. The volcano in this location has a history of erupting about 70,000 years ago and causing massive problems for the world climate.
Apparently some folks there are currently reporting a heating up of the floors (tiled) in their homes and getting worried about the smell of sulphur and (volcanic) gases. The ground around their homes is warming too (related to the floor tiles of course).

Quote:
The heat and gaseous steam started on May 27, 2015, according to resident Purasa Silalahi, who felt the ceramic tiles on his floor getting hot .

source

There are many volcanoes dotting up the west coast of this part of Indonesia and with the plate movements (EQ's/tremors) in this region, it wouldn't surprise me if this has helped activate some volcanic activity. Let's hope that Lake Toba (volcano) is not going to go on and prove a serious problem for them there.

According to Geoscience, tremors came up for Oz in WA, NT and NSW within a 6 hours period in the last 24 hours..so far...
We are seeing some interesting spikes in a Vic seismo atm...haven't worked out (had time to see) if it is altogether 'local'...but I think it is...

For now, Duck.

My computer is being a b*gger at the moment and my links above haven't worked atm.

Edited by duckweather (09/06/2015 17:08)
Edit Reason: extra

#1331321 - 09/06/2015 19:15 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Petros Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
Originally Posted By: duckweather
Hi folks, just a quickie post for now...

On the 29th may, before midnight - about 11pm?, I said in a post that I had felt a bump;
Quote:
We felt a very small and sharp jolt here about 30 minutes ago, but you would have had to have been still to notice it. Makes me wonder if one of the fault/s that have caused Moe's and other locations east of here (one was the next suburb to me) may be feeling a little pressure at the moment...??? It wouldn't surprise me if we had a tremor which others may feel....

As it was a tremor was recorded by Geoscience (just put up on their site today) near Trafalgar and Moe - an M2.5 at 10kms deep. Their records state that it occurred after 1am (Sydney time on the 30th May). Interesting...I had a feeling we were in for a tremor and the seismo's NE and NW of Melbourne are still intermittently recording some isolated short and sharp small movements....another one to come for Vic I wonder?

For now, Duck.

I felt that one! (... but also thought there was another sometime later - dunno, woke me up twice anyhow).

Edited by Petros (09/06/2015 19:16)

#1331322 - 09/06/2015 19:37 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petros]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Petros.

Yeh...I knew I wasn't imagining things...

Also, did you just feel a small rumble (5 minutes ago?)...I think we may be in for another tremor, but will have to wait and see.

Cheers, Duck.

#1331346 - 10/06/2015 10:15 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

As you know, sometimes I put in this thread some info and vids which are not always related to the results of EQ's, but have a look at this vid I just came across regarding a "mine induced" liquefaction event in Myanmar on the 9th April, 2015;

..and here is a report on such - " 3 June 2015 Pharkant, Burma: a liquefa...ophysical Union

Here's a report - "
Quote:
The European Geosciences Union (EGU), through its Seismology and Natural Hazards Divisions, has issued an information briefing about the recent Nepal earthquakes...The Watchers

EGU briefing: Continued risks of natural disasters in Nepal Posted by The Watcher on June 09, 2015

Here's a report on hydrothermal events being discovered in the Gulf of California (Their existence doesn't surprise me in the least) - Deepest known high-temperature hydrother...n June 09, 2015

I mention these not-EQ earth features because there is a relationship to EQ activity in many cases....

Anyway, Queensland, offshore Gold Coast, has had an M1.9 10 hours ago, a tremor which you will remember (for QLD somewhere) I was suspecting would pop up at some point in current times. This tremor was a fairly shallow 6kms deep (as recorded by Geoscience Australia).

For the moment, Duck.

#1331618 - 13/06/2015 20:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

The Pacific, through to Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia, India (region in the Bay of Bengal and Andaman Sea) and the Himalayas (including Nepal) is very active at the moment.
Also the west of the Pacific is active with quite a few quakes near Japan - which may be a signal of the Pacific Plate yet to throw off an M6 (+??) in this very general region.

PNG down and to the Tonga/Fiji/Vanuatu region is also considerably active. Following on down through New Zealand there have been some tremors niggling there too.

I could be wrong, but I am getting a bit of a feeling that we may see another quite large EQ come up in the Pacific region soon. There just appears to be too many M5's popping up in some regions (almost one after the other in a couple of locations - for example Japan, PNG, Tonga. The NE of the Indian Ocean is active too.

But with all of this activity, there may be a region which may be considered an unusual spot or one which doesn't usually come up with an EQ/tremor, which could surprise us.

I feel the SE of Oz may feel a tremor too soon...

The regions around and including France may keep coming up with tremors in the short term...

Remember - take all I say with a pinch-of-salt as I could be wrong folks.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (13/06/2015 20:52)
Edit Reason: spelling again ;)

#1331664 - 14/06/2015 18:36 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Just had another very small 'thud' here. A closed door near me slightly bumped....a small 'rumble' occurred at the same time on the "S88B v" seismo here (did you feel it Petros?)

There may be a tremor offshore of the U.S. west coast - I am getting a feeling for offshore SW of Eureka. Washington and southern California have just had small movements.

The Mediterranean has rather a prolific number of tremors at the moment and they may go on to feel another M5.

I also get a feeling that Iceland may come 'into the picture' with more tremors in the near future. They had a couple of sneaky ones fairly recently. It may be that some volcanic activity may resurface in the Atlantic - previously active locations.

I could be wrong - pinch of salt folks.

For now, Duck.

#1331767 - 15/06/2015 18:54 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I mentioned Iceland yesterday and decided, since the Global incidents Map - EQ's is not showing the tremors for Iceland (except for the moderately sized ones), I thought I'd add two links to the Icelandic Met Office - which has current records for;
1/volcano activty...and

2/earthquake activity

Most of New Zealand's tremors aren't coming up on the Global Inc. Map either, so here's a link to;

GeoNet - current earthquakes and tremors registered

Jamestown had an M2.1 at 3kms deep very early this morning. I could have sworn I saw another tremor register on an eastern South Australian seismo last night - I think it was near Hawker from memory???

Nothing has been recorded for Melbourne by Geoscience, but I am sure I felt the smallest of movements (as mentioned in my last post). Maybe it was too small to come up to be registered by Geo.? A couple of pictures in a room have moved to the slightest angle left (bottom tilted just a little to the north [direction]) - or I have ghosts smile

Anyway, for now,

Duck.

Edited by duckweather (15/06/2015 18:56)
Edit Reason: spelling again ;)

#1331883 - 17/06/2015 00:09 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

The M6 I was anticipating for a Pacific region came up near Fiji very deep at over 600kms. Another M6 came up in the Timor region, which is not quite in the Pacific. Both of these larger quakes were fairly predictable given the behaviours of the plate/s in the Pacific and the northern reaches of the Australian Plate pushing under the plate Indonesia sits on.

The SE of Australia came up with 2 tremors (western NSW and eastern SA) I was anticipating - via a gut feeling about niggles/irritations I thought may be lurking around these regions. We may see another tremor come up in a strange (unusual) location in either SA, Vic or NSW - perhaps distant from these 2 tremors, but not too far away...
There was a tremor recorded in the Flinders region in South Oz near Hawker, where I said I thought it was.

France is still active, close to the English Channel. Another tremor may come up for the UK and/or towards the Netherlands (?).

The west coast of the U.S. has come up with a series of tremors and not the M5'ish I thought might occur SW-offshore of Eureka. This latter location did have a tremor though.

For interest sake;

" A Strange, Remarkable Quake Hit Wyoming Wind River Earthquake stands out for its size and power"
My amateur theory - a deep unknown fault line and/or deep crack in the plate the US sits on...? Or a deep fault created by the massive expanse of the Yellowstone volcanic province?

"Mystery: Alabama earthquake swarm stuns residents and geologists alike Posted on June 15, 2015"
Some fault lines are, over time, making their presence felt and are more than likely (in my books) sometimes hidden sister or distant 'relative' faults of the recognizes biggy faults in the U.S.

One region which has been drawing my mind's-eye to it (maybe just out of curiosity and not necessarily anticipating a movement for this region) is Texas. Lower Texas seems to me to be 'involved' with what I think is a fault line which runs out into the Gulf of Mexico. A recent couple of tremors in the Texas region seem to follow what looks like a fault line (just looking at a satellite pic of the geology there), from this 'fault-line?' an arm of such reaches down into the Gulf.
** I may be incorrect in my observations here.

I feel that the quake in the Gulf of California today is directly related to the tremors on the west coast of the U.S. (my personal opinion only, not stating a 'fact'?)

For now, Duck.

#1332020 - 18/06/2015 09:23 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
Agree that E Australia may be sitting on a decent tremor. Historically there have been many large tremors, in apparently new locations, so the idea that a tremor could happen in a surprise location is quite true. The recent tremor S of Broken Hill does appear to be close to a surface fault visible on the satellite image. Considering historic sites of earthquakes, if some recurred, there could be a significant economic mess due to liquefaction eg Gladstone Qld, the lower Hunter, Offshore Taree and Forster area. Other areas lurking are the Cullarin Horst ... Where the wind farm is built right on the edge of the graben....DUMB site!, Boorowa, Cootamundra, the Southern Highlands. It is slowly dawning on me that big quakes are possible in Australia, eg Meeberrie, WA and Lake Edgar, TAS, and that at some point these fault lines were initiated in a catastrophic way...As these are geologically recent, on a basis of probability, something like this may happen in areas which are now developed, but who knows when... I just take the view that being prepared way outperforms being worried as a way of dealing with it.

#1332037 - 18/06/2015 11:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi perrywinkle - great post wink

here's a list from Geoscience Australia (and info from some other sites), which highlights the most significant quakes for Australia so far;

"Historic Events - Earthquakes" (Australia)

...a bit extra - from Geoscience

"‘Fairly Large’ Earthquake Hits Queensla... Business Times

" Historical Earthquakes in Victoria – ...neering Society

Historical earthquakes in NSW - Kevin McCue Australian Seismological Centre, Canberra ACT

** Australian quakes from January 14th, 2015 - Seismology Research Centre

** Australian quakes up until 20th December 2014 as recorded by the Seismology Reasearch Centre

There is quite alot of info on Australian earthquakes, but the above is just a handle full of interesting articles/reports.

I agree that worrying is a pointless exercise. Just being aware that our country is not immune from the odd larger tremor is preferable. I feel that if we lived in a region of heightened larger activity, then solid preparation for the potential of a very damaging quake would be necessary. And especially if the likelihood of a tsunami was the case, a safety plan is a good idea - just in case.

All across the globe there are cities and communities (and infrastructure) built next to or directly on top of natural hazards. And as the populations expand, the risk to communities increases many times if these natural systems decide to give way, in some places this doesn't have to be in a big way either. Essentially, such places are at a point of no return - meaning they cannot just uproot and transplant somewhere else, so being aware of hazards and adjusting lifestyle and formulating response plans is the best way to go for many.

I know that we feel tiny bumps or the littlest jolt here almost weekly or fortnightly, which are not recorded on maps. But they are a reminder here that the Earth is a dynamic entity.

For now, Duck.

#1332094 - 18/06/2015 20:29 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Near Valentine, Nebraska (U.S.) has just had an M3.3 at 5 kms deep. From the records I can find so far, this location hasn't had a tremor before, thought he closest tremors were some distance away in;
* Scotts Bluff an 26 years ago at 5kms deep
* and another 3 years ago also in Scotts Bluff, M3.6 at 5kms deep
* and Yankton, 13 years ago in South Dakota an M4.3 at 5kms deep (registered actually over the border in Nebraska).

If you want to check out Nebraska's history, go to here - Earthquake Track If you reduce the size of the maps, you can see Nebraska's proximity to Wyoming. There must be several faults on the periphery of Yellowstone (Wyoming) which appear to be not a regular feature of earthquakes for Nebraska, compared to other active locations in America.
This Nebraska tremor could be one of these 'unusual' places starting to come up with tremors for various reasons....

I forgot to mention the M7 (about 10kms deep) in the lower reaches of the Atlantic Ridge today. Apparently there was no tsunami caused by this large quake. It was the largest quake I have seen for this location for a long time. I'd have to check the record 'books' for past large quakes there.
There are some big quakes coming up on the edges of the large plates in 2015 - some serious movements going on around the planet this year so far.

Most of the Middle East and Mediterranean tremors/quakes are very shallow and quite numerous. I still feel that an M5 may crop up for the Mediterranean region somewhere, it feels like there is too much activity there for one not to come up.

Anyway, and as usual, I don't cover every country on the planet, as far as EQ activity goes. That would create an incredibly long post and sometimes days I don't get the time to devote to doing so - though I would love to 'work' on this full time and be more thorough smile and possibly more accurate too smile

For now, Duck.

#1332250 - 20/06/2015 22:47 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

South Australia has been trotting along with tremors this week. You can check out the locations at Geoscience Australia

This series of tremors (SA) is not surprising. The Oz plate has been very busy with quakes to the north + NE + NW of our mainland shoving its way north into/under Indonesia with a rather concerted effort. How does or could this apply to the southern end of the Oz mainland? Well I reckon it puts pressure on the southern end of the large plate and may be tinkering (irritating) some weaker spots (deep and shallow faults) in the southern portion of Australia (especially where faults reach into the mainland from regions like Bass Strait and the Great Australian Bight).

The region either side and up the middle of the Spencer Gulf, reaching up into SA (including the general region of Kangaroo Island) seems to me to be one of those locations in Australia where energy can lurk and travel up this region from the Bight. Below the Bight, and due west of Tasmania, there is a complex series of 'grids' (combo of faults and trenches?). Below (south of) this is the bottom edge of the Aussie plate. When EQ's come up down there, along the plate edge, I suspect a possible 40% chance of some of the energy from those quakes to possibly filter up towards the mainland and if closer to Tassie - may filter into SA, Vic and the western side of Tassie.

Getting back to the northern regions of the Aussie plate, if the quakes continue to barrel on there, there may be a chance that the NT, WA and a rare chance that Queensland northern coasts regions may feel a tremor at some point.
In my mind's-eye, I see the NW of WA, when it has a tremor, being affected by the energy being exerted by the Aussie plate pushing under Indonesia (and even possibly the effect of EQ causing pressures into the southern Sumatra region).

Plate edge related earthquake activity may not be the only cause of a very small percentage of Australia's tremors (where many of the tremors are intra-plate activity usually). Pressure on old mountain building behaviours of Australian 'geology' in mainly Victoria, NSW and SA may be coming from a sort of 'crush'/push pressure coming in from greater edge plate activity and up from other elements deeper in the crust, deferring up the solid layers/landforms to the surface. I hope that made sense, as I have a mental picture of what I am trying to say but may not have described such well.

Oklahoma has revved up with tremors in the last 24 hours, with an M4+ being the biggest so far.

Chile came up with the M6+ (a shallow one), which I was anticipating recently. Apparently this quake didn't cause any issues for the folks there (?).

The South Sandwich Islands had a rather deep EQ today - M5.6. The depth was interesting, I think, as normally the quakes there are about 10kms deep and not 120'ish like today's. Actually I will refine that last sentence - about 6 months ago the quakes were in the general region of 10kms deep. Since then nearly all of the quakes have been reaching deeper pin-points.

Remember to take all I say with a pinch of salt folks. My interpretations of events, location behaviours or what could become events may be wrong.

For now, Duck.

Page 93 of 154 < 1 2 ... 91 92 93 94 95 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image