Earthquake Report.com
and
Newsroom America

#1204335 - 19/07/2013 18:17 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Well this'll be my third post for today smile

That M6+ in Iceland is a bit of a mystery. I have done a quick check in the Icelandic news sites and elsewhere, and I can't find any further info on it...curious.

So far in the last 7 days there have been (according to the USGS site) 71 M4.5+ earthquakes around the globe. This does not include Australia's M4+ recently and probably a couple of others registered by other agencies.
There has been (and is ongoing) a real uptick in the number of moderate to larger EQ's lately. Mother Earth has been doing some serious re-arranging of the furniture (including volcanic activity).
See the USGS map here and refine the list to 'past 7 days - M4.5+'.
Much of the larger activity has been on the western side of the ROF (near Australia, Indonesia, up to Japan, Malaysia and down to New Zealand, generally speaking.

With all of this activity, I get a gut feeling we may see an M6+ (maybe an M7+) somewhere...not sure where yet.

For now, Duck.

#1204390 - 19/07/2013 21:26 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Petros Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
Originally Posted By: duckweather
Just had to say this folks....1000001 views on this thread...fantastic wink

Well done DW - I for one, always watch this thread.

#1204397 - 19/07/2013 21:49 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petros]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Cheers Petros wink
The accolades go to everyone who has posted on this thread; all of those who are a wee bit obsessed with this genre of science, and regarding myself (being an amateur in this field), I have hoped that whom ever visits here, feels my contributions are interesting sometimes, informative sometimes and worth reading smile
Thanks, from the Old Duck, for faithfully following this thread Petros. Sometimes when I feel I should totally back off from posting and stop hogging 'this space', I just keep on sneaking that one or two more posts each day - can't help myself wink blush

Delighted Duck.

#1204458 - 20/07/2013 05:47 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
cyclone sally Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: 40km south of Gladstone
Woken at 2am by a M4.9...getting used to them now after 4 in the last two months!
Hey Duckweather,please don't back off from posting..you have many silent followers who find your posts very interesting.(We just don't have anything useful to add!)
Heading back to boring Gladstone (weather wise) in a couple of weeks, after an exciting few years in the islands...I shall miss the earthquakes and cyclones!!!!

#1204496 - 20/07/2013 08:54 Re: Earthquakes [Re: cyclone sally]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi and cheers to you too cyclone sally.
Island life is so unique and different to 'city' life. There will be many things you may miss about Vanuatu when you get back to Gladstone.
The earth movements 'up' your way have been quite consistent and, as you say, you do get used to something if it happens often enough. This is also how some of my friends in NZ, the U.S. and the Mediterranean/Middle East regions feel too. Though, quietly, some may rattle or unsettle the nerves a little.
I have a couple of family members in the Galapagos Islands at the moment - a region which is experiencing sporadic movements lately. I must admit, though they are on an expedition which I wish I was on too, I'll be happy for them to come home to the relative terra-firma of Oz. Two years ago they were in the Antarctic - and they 'forgot' to take me grin
Anyways, The energy from the ROF (west) seems to have traveled south (past NZ), near the Tasman Sea and may or may not shift west to way below Tassie...not sure.

For now, Duck.

#1204735 - 20/07/2013 22:21 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Obscure feeling for today - Scone region, NSW.
I was discussing a Canberra seismo with a friend today and I kept getting drawn to the region near Scone, west of Newcastle for some reason. Now, don't take this as a prediction of a tremor for this region. As I always say, my jottings are just feelings only. But I do get a small feeling that a fault line there may or may not be sending off some 'signals', maybe for a small movement. I may be wrong folks.
SE of Port Augusta, S.A., is another spot too....
Also, I was going to say Papua, Indonesia, was a distinct possibility and it has just come up with an M5.2.....

Edited by duckweather (20/07/2013 22:29)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1204821 - 21/07/2013 12:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

York in WA came up with an M2.6 today. Yesterday, this was one of a few regions I was suspecting may experience a tremor and didn't mention it here. From now on, so I don't look like I am mentioning these feelings for regions after the fact (after they have occurred), I will jot them here as I may begin to suspect they may occur (for credibility reasons smile )

Cook Strait in New Zealand is still presenting as a bit of a problem, with deceasing in size and increasing intermittently with tremors/quakes. The Seaward Kaikoura mountain Range (and the ranges further inland) run SW to NE along the South Island, towards Cook Strait. A valley, running parallel between the ranges leads almost straight to where these earthquakes have been happening in the Strait. The plate edges run through the Seaward Kaikoura Mountain Range and comes out into the sea, with the EQ's being about 50-75 kms north of the plate edges/trench. The trench near the quakes is associated with the Kermadec Trench.

As I am typing this, Italy has come up with an M5 as I felt it would (blog).

I'll gabble on some more later. I've got a cracking headache (ear) atm and will catch up with some more jottings soon sick

For now, Duck.

#1204839 - 21/07/2013 15:46 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline

Funny you mention that, there's just been a big quake just off the northeastern coast of NZ's South Island at 3:09pm AEST, prelim mag 6.9 and depth 10km.

Unknown yet whether a tsunami was generated but here's a precalculated scenario run by JRC modelling:

#1204860 - 21/07/2013 18:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Ken Kato]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Ken.
As I mentioned in a previous post, I felt there was possibly going to be an M6+ or M7+ in a region in the very short term and New Zealands' Cook Strait has produced a doozy for the folks there. I was thinking to myself (through the fog of a rotten ear problem) that with the Cook Strait playing up that this may be just the region for the M7'ish that was irking me.
Here's a couple of links to responses from the NZ folks and other info on the quake;
Responses and info

Info from the USGS

When you consider the relatively small gap (the Strait) between the North and South Islands, I can't help but think of the impact or result of these movements in the sea floor...as to what has happened down there? This is some serious movement...

For now Duck.

#1204862 - 21/07/2013 18:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I meant to add this news report from New Zealand to my last post;

TVNZ "Urban Search and Rescue on standby"
There are photos and videos of some of the damage there.

Edited by duckweather (21/07/2013 18:20)

#1204880 - 21/07/2013 20:54 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Curiously, about 40kms NE of Newcastle and Scone has just come with an M3 in the last hour. Last night I mentioned my feelings for a small tremor occurring in the region west of Newcastle and near Scone. I was 40 kms off in the wrong direction, but I suppose fairly closish, with this tremor being near Tea Gardens (40kms approx NE of Scone/Newcastle).
link to Geoscience record - here - M3 (0kms deep)

#1204887 - 21/07/2013 21:15 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
EddyG Offline

Loc: Port Stephens NSW
Hi Duckweather

I live in Tea Gardens and i can honestly say i did'nt feel a thing at the time, but did hear a unusual rumble like thunder at the time, but didnt take too much notice and put it down some fighter jets playing out to sea!!

Its all over Facebook and all comments so far there are that no one else seems to have felt either!!

I will keep you posted if i hear anything else!!

Cheers
Ed
2019 YTD - 631.8mm

#1204893 - 21/07/2013 21:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: EddyG]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

That's interesting EddyG.
Thanks for posting what you noticed about this tremor. I personally always like to know what people actually experience when a tremor is registered - just my curious mind.
I will be interested to learn more about this 'M3' too.
Keep us posted wink
Cheers, Duck.

Ooh, hang on a minute, just had another obscure thought (and I mean really obscure)....I wonder if possibly no-one felt this movement beneath them, that could this be in any way related to New Zealand's larger quakes today (geo-sound waves perhaps)...?????

Edited by duckweather (21/07/2013 21:27)
Edit Reason: extra

#1204949 - 22/07/2013 08:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just following on from my way-out obscure thought about 'geo-sound waves' as maybe a reason for the registering of an M3 in Tea Gardens......
If this was at all a possibility, here is some more obscure thought....it takes about 3 hours (?) to fly to NZ from Sydney. Cook Straits' M6.9 yesterday occurred 3 and a bit hours before the Tea Gardens 'tremor' registered. Could a sound wave travelled below or above sea level from NZ....???
Maybe I have got too much time on my hands at the moment nursing my ear problem sick maybe I should sign off here as 'Dippy Duck' smile
Anyway, Cook Strait is experiencing almost continuous aftershocks, some nearly every few minutes and many are between M2 and M3 (some may be smaller). This region is a little on tender-hooks at the moment - some are wondering if there will be another large EQ to come. This region is quite unstable at the moment.

For now, Dippy Duck.

#1204956 - 22/07/2013 09:44 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just looking at Geoscience website and now they have positioned the epicenter of yesterdays tremor in Muswellbrook, NSW. This is exactly the location where I had mentioned my feelings (a few posts ago) of where a tremor may pop for NSW.
So...maybe my 'theories' in my last posts can be disregarded.
Link to further info here

#1204968 - 22/07/2013 10:56 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Wow.. a triple set in south America (including the South Shetland Islands). The two in South America (Argentina and Chile) occurred at the same time and the South Shetland Islands 2 minutes earlier. All at similar depths.
Global Incidents Map - earthquakes

China (Gansu) had an M6 too.

For now, Duck.

#1205001 - 22/07/2013 14:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
EddyG Offline

Loc: Port Stephens NSW
Thanks Duckweather, very interesting, i thought as much they would position the epicentre elsewhere!!
A magnitude 3.0 is something you would feel, unless your asleep of course.
Anyway it was certainly a talking point around town this morning!!!
2019 YTD - 631.8mm

#1205002 - 22/07/2013 14:09 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

It's a bit of a day off for me, so I may bore you with a few posts today smile

A seismo, just north of Melbourne has registered a small spike (maybe an M1+ (M2?)), and the Gippsland seismo has slightly jiggled with this also. So we'll see if Geoscience registers it as anything notable.
Last night, whilst standing on my decking gazing at the moon (it looked big and beautiful), I turned to go in my back door and the door shook/rattled for about 1 second. It is a heavy glass door with a security door as well. It stopped me in my tracks, thinking we may have had a small jolt, but there was nothing on the seismo's. Even the dog was looking at me bug-eyed. I still don't know what it was, as the whole house was quiet and I was the only one home at the time...

There has been a lot of larger movement around the globe - "Mother Earth's unfinished business" as I said in a previous post. I get a feeling we may have a few more larger movements to come - some of the recent movements (EQ's) have been quite strange...

Cheers, Duck.

#1205007 - 22/07/2013 14:36 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Ran out of time to add this to the above post.
A few posts back, I mentioned that I suspected SE of Port Augusta may come up with a small tremor. Geoscience has just added an M2.7 for this approx region - yesterday near 6pm.
Link here - near Gladstone

Page 34 of 153 < 1 2 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 152 153 >

Who's Online
3 registered (paisley, bd bucketingdown, Snowmaker), 40 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Cloudmaster_dup1, Floodhunta, floody, Xavo
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24188 Topics
1528924 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image