Page 120 of 153 < 1 2 ... 118 119 120 121 122 ... 152 153 >
Topic Options
#1392356 - 06/11/2016 22:15 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi, finally, folks.

Well WA has come up with a decent sized quake at M5'ish. Fairly shallow too at 20kms deep. This one seems to have come up near a waterway, which I feel this could be an unknown [?] fault line. This may be one of those inland regions I was thinking about [not the actual location] that may show up with movements, which may not have a 'history' of recorded tremors...?
There has been quite alot of quakes north of WA and NT, in Indonesia in recent times, and the tremors/quakes in WA north + NW may be connected to this movement by degrees..?

I mentioned in a previous post that I thought some locations NW/N of WA may come up with quakes/tremors. Port Hedland was one of the locations I mentioned and it did come up with a tremor - offshore. If the Tanami Desert [nearer to Sturt Creek?] has had enough of an impetus to come up with the latest quake, along with the other northern WA tremors recently, there may be a chance of another along the coast somewhere...?

I think there was a tremor [small] in Victoria this arvo...but not sure. Will wait to see if Geoscience has recorded anything.

For now, Duck.

#1392363 - 07/11/2016 08:32 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Here's report regarding WA's quake, which includes interesting info on the history of WA's larger tremors/quakes.

Rare M5.2 earthquake hits near Halls Cre...ember 06, 2016

For now, Duck.

Found another report on Italy's quakes re: my suspicion that the quakes could have an effect on volcanic activity;

New mud volcano forms in Italy after rec...ember 05, 2016

and...

Military probes mysterious Arctic seaflo...vember 05, 2016

Edited by duckweather (07/11/2016 08:36)

#1392991 - 11/11/2016 09:56 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I was going to do a post last night, but we lost power after an explosion and fire in our street - near the front of my place. An underground power structure [box] blew up with such a bang that people from neighboring streets came to ours to see what had happened. We even felt a small shock wave from the explosion. Scared the heck out of us as we were 20 feet from it. Anyway, all is good after the machinery, diggers etc., left at around 6 am this morning to repair the supply and power 'box'....

Anyway, I've been watching mainly the Australian and surrounds quakes and tremors. Again, if you have a look at the Oz map for the last 30 days [Geoscience records], you can see that pattern or places [generally] where I said most of our movements may come up - last 30 days of recorded quakes/tremors

There is still alot of activity around the peripheries of Australia and our continent seems to be feeling some of these stressors. If we keep seeing M5's and M5+'s coming up around these peripheries, we may see more tremors come up for Oz. Of course there will always be small tremors in Oz, but there are times of small upticks with the odd M4 thrown in when the energy finds a location that is prone to a pretty good shift.

Anyway, for now, Duck.

LEST WE FORGET - Remembrance Day 11/11/2016

#1393659 - 13/11/2016 22:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Just talking to a close friend on FB when the M7.4 quake hit her area. She and her family are ok, but I think daylight will show what damage has been done -sadly.

reports from folks so far

Will keep talking to my NZ friend on FB for her reports.

For the moment, Duck.

#1393667 - 13/11/2016 23:42 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

Multiple after movements in NZ. A tsunami warning has been issued for folks along the east coasts to go to higher ground, 2nd stories of homes etc., until the warning has been lifted.

Buoys on the east side of NZ, SE of the Sth Island, the Coral Sea and NW of Australia are in event mode.

Waiting to see what effect the quakes have had on the seas [tsunami's and other disturbances].

More will info will come out about land, structure and any other damages when the sun comes up in the morning. There have been reports of some damage to property, particularly household items falling off shelves, holes in roads, power poles down, power outages and so on.

The website - Stuff [NZ] has ongoing reporting of the quakes - here

For now, Duck

Edited by duckweather (13/11/2016 23:43)

#1393670 - 13/11/2016 23:58 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Constant updating of info on tsunami (which is starting to reach the east coast] and other info here

#1393732 - 14/11/2016 13:33 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

Just as I felt may happen [didn't say this in a post, but I suspected would happen], the quakes in NZ would alternate between smaller and larger quakes. Another M6+ came up over an hour ago and there will be many ongoing tremors of varying sizes there. This EQ behaviour is reminiscent of Japan's M9 some years ago.
If you have a look at the National Data buoy Centre's site - here - you can see that periphery of our Australian Plate has buoys going off in event mode. I suspect that the Australian Plate [apart from reverberations from NZ] may be a guilty party in relation to NZ. Could it be that our Plate has dipped or raised slightly on either side of Australia and upset the buoy's reading of seafloor and water behaviour?

The photos of damage coming out of NZ is incredible. These large quakes may have also activated 'silent' fault lines. In some areas the land has dropped as well as split apart.

Sadly 2 people have died as a result or because of the effect of the quakes. My sympathies to those families.

Now that NZ has moved very substantially, we may see some other M6's or an outside chance of an M7'ish come up somewhere in the Pacific [Pacific Rim] as a flow on effect may trigger other edges of the Plate or other trenches or faults may be irritated by the NZ movements....?

I noticed some subtle movements in a glass of water on my desk this morning in response to NZ quakes.

I am wondering if the activity east of Australia and in the Pacific Islands may filter back into the east coast of Australia as well - QLD? NSW? Will it also travel to way below Tassie [far SSW of the southern end of the NZ South Island]?

A deep quake may come up in some region near Fiji or Vanuatu or PNG....? Fiji's quakes are mostly deep.

I wonder if energies may be referred up the west side of the Pacific Plate? E.g., Philippines, Taiwan, Japan, Alaska....? not sure.

For now, Duck.

#1393742 - 14/11/2016 15:06 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
pete28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
Very different earthquake to the 2011 one that killed all those unfortunate people, very long and rolling, it went for so long I thought the main pacific plate had ruptured!!!

#1393744 - 14/11/2016 15:12 Re: Earthquakes [Re: pete28]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi pete28.

Yes you are right about the 'type' of quake re: Japan and NZ. What I meant by similar EQ behaviour is the ongoing after movements are very numerous. I didn't explain myself very well.

Cheers, Duck.

#1393748 - 14/11/2016 16:00 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley

#1393792 - 14/11/2016 22:05 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
bradcq Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: koongal rockhampton qld
There must be extreme pressure on the earths surface from big tides and low low tides from the moon being close

#1393814 - 15/11/2016 10:20 Re: Earthquakes [Re: bradcq]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I wonder too that the tides would possibly place pressures on faults and plate edges, bradcq. Apparently there will be large tides for NZ this week [haven't checked if this has happened already]. I wonder if this will have a further influence on any movements there?

Those videos perrywinkle, are interesting. Earthquake lights have been documented over many generations [or told in native stories] in many countries. Some folks have disputed whether those lights videos are power poles arcing. But I reckon it is more than possible that the flashes are the result of electrical activity emanating from the EQ activity. I have seen EQ lights myself many years ago. They emanated from the ground from where there was no power cables/poles or underground power sources. Some may not believe me, but I have seen them in Victoria [Oz] before a tremor. It came up as a blue flash.

NZ is still rattling along, unnerving the folks there. Let's hope it settles soon. A friend of mine whose house was damaged [unlivable] after the Christchurch major quake some years ago, moved to the area where the latest quakes have hit. So far her house seems to be ok generally.

The western side of the Pacific Plate had come up with quakes I mentioned it could/would - including Alaska.

As far as Australian tremors are concerned, the southern part of Oz [WA and SA] has come up with tremors before I thought the east coast may/would.

For now, Duck.

#1393853 - 15/11/2016 21:39 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again for today.

As I get time, I am coming across some interesting pics and info regarding the NZ quakes.

The sea bed near the focal point of one of the large quakes raised the sea bed out of the water - "Lou" on Twitter - click on his photos and more incredible images on Tonkin+Taylor Twitter page

Here's an interesting article as to what probably caused the quakes - What happened in New Zealandís magnitude 7.5 earthquake November 14, 2016 4.50pm AEDT

Western Australia has popped up with another tremor....

For now, Duck.

#1393940 - 17/11/2016 15:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
On stuff.co.nz there are some vids with quite incredible footage of roads etc lifted , moved and wrecked by the quake. One in particular is filmed from a vehicle driving along the most affected area of sh1. Amazing stuff.

#1394321 - 22/11/2016 08:31 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Big quake just off northeast Japan. JMA currently has it as a preliminary mag 7.3 and has a tsunami warning current at time of writing (there's already been some near-coastal measurements of an observed tsunami):

#1394339 - 22/11/2016 12:01 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Eevo Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Adelaide Hills
and another one in NZ

#1394359 - 22/11/2016 15:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: The Beach.
My neighbour was saying only last night that they are expecting another big one in NZ.

#1394403 - 22/11/2016 22:06 Re: Earthquakes [Re: ColdFront]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

The Japan quake was a bit of a worry. The folks there must have been on tender hooks with the tsunami warning. You could see the strong currents going in an out of the ports, and the sea level rising and falling slightly.
The NZ quake was also one which may have worried a few folks there.
As I mentioned a week ago or so, the west of the Pacific particularly is active and the quakes which have occurred [even up to Alaska] are not, unfortunately, a surprise for me.

If you haven't already seen this, have a look at the vid in this link at the fault line which has split the earth in NZ [result of quakes there]. - here

Many places involving the main plate edges have come up with a run of quakes around the globe, even up into the Arctic. So, the planet as a whole has been feeling a shift, with quakes showing up in some fair usual vulnerable spots along plate edges.

We may not have seen the end of the Pacific quakes. With so much energy being produced to cause the recent large quakes we have been seeing, there may be an outside chance of a couple more M5+'s at least and maybe an M6+ somewhere.

Australia is moderately quiet atm., but I think we may see a rev up of tremors soon...

For now, Duck.

#1394476 - 23/11/2016 21:49 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Yet more quakes for Japanese regions. The latest larger one just west of a ridge which runs up to the south of Tokyo, where another tremor came up 23 minutes before the M5.7 [very deep at 477kms] near the Bonin Islands.
Another after movement has come up in the region of the big quake [M7.4 - Japanese reading].

NZ has had tons of tremors and quakes since their latest large quake. Another moderately sized quake has also come up in the Bay of Plenty [NNE of the North island - southern end of the Kermadec Ridge].

The west of the Pacific is really misbehaving at the moment.

Australia has started the run on tremors I mentioned it may in my previous post.

For now, Duck.

#1394561 - 25/11/2016 07:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
M7.2 El Salvador whilst copping a hurricane. Unenviable combo there.

Page 120 of 153 < 1 2 ... 118 119 120 121 122 ... 152 153 >

Who's Online
2 registered (mysteriousbrad, 1 invisible), 46 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
anvildome, Davenn
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24185 Topics
1528867 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image