NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 35 of 154 < 1 2 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1205077 - 22/07/2013 21:35 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petar @ Sdny Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: South West Sydney
We have now had 5 lots of 6.0 magnitude + in 48 hours. I am thinking Kermadec Islands region may get a even bigger quake next few days with the asymetrical migration northwards along the Kermadec trench.

The 6.3 mag off Prince Edward Islands is a eye opening one too.

#1205079 - 22/07/2013 22:00 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petar @ Sdny]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
I agree TC.
Some 'energy' may move towards the Gisborne region (i.e. NE of the North Island) and onto the Kermadecs. and maybe SW of the South Island (near the Tasman Sea). Then maybe before or after this possible movement, Tonga/Fiji/Samoa region/s and maybe back west through to PNG/Indonesia. Now, maybe only two or three may come up with a moderate tremor (maybe an odd larger one). And a northern one of these spots may come up before a southern'ish mentioned one.
Macquarie Island may experience a movement too.
Across the Pacific (eastern side). I am also wondering if Easter Island may experience a movement too.
The South Sandwich Islands may even come up again too...???
Just some quick thoughts for the moment....

#1205088 - 22/07/2013 23:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Mmm...I had a wee feeling that the energy from the M6+ in the Prince Edward Islands region may travel up towards Madagascar. An M5 has occurred in the south Indian Ocean, SE of Madagascar.
I was quietly hoping it wouldn't, as a couple of my family members are in/on this region atm...

#1205090 - 23/07/2013 00:03 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petar @ Sdny Offline
Weather Freak

And Ongoing action with the tremors near Seddon and the Cooks Strait in New Zealand. Over 500 quakes now....

http://www.geonet.org.nz/quakes/felt

#1205136 - 23/07/2013 11:15 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petar @ Sdny]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yeh T.C...and i reckon that this region will take some time to settle. I do get an irking feeling we may see another (or a few) more moderate EQ's there unfortunately.
The SW of Liberia, Africa, which is experiencing multiple M5's is the exact region I suspected would move (blog - June notes). These quakes are situated along plate boundaries which involved yesterdays' big quake much further south. The 'energy' seems to have run up through to here. Maybe following up through the Atlantic, there may be more to come. West of Spain may be a region I'll be keeping an 'eye' on and maybe the Gulf of Guinea.

The 'energy'/movement translated up the west of the ROF beginning a little further north than I had mentioned it may. The Pacific islands (regions near Fiji/Vanuatu/etc..) may yet feel some movements too.

Kamchatka, Russia, and west of the Aleutian chain may also experience some movements soon.
The west of Eureka, California, is still sticking with me a little too.
We'll see....

For now, Duck.

#1205243 - 24/07/2013 13:59 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petar @ Sdny Offline
Weather Freak

And the movements begin in earnest along the Southern Pacific with current and recent action. Notable 5.8 magnitude followed by a 4.9 magnitude South of Vanuatu and recently a 5.6 magnitude off the Fiji Islands.

Solomon Islands also showing a rise in activity too.

#1205246 - 24/07/2013 14:29 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petar @ Sdny]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi TC.
A quick note-
This movement is actually occurring in a sequence as I thought it would (previous posts). Meaning, that the large movements (and ongoing rattles) in New Zealand, and involving the ROF, could follow on with movements popping up in northern reaches before the 'central regions' (Fiji, Vanuatu etc.) may be triggered into moderate movements again.
I agree that the Pacific Islands regions ('central' section) have revved up again. The Santa Cruz Islands, being a region that was recently (months/some weeks ago) behaving like the Cook Strait in New Zealand is now - large, moderate and smaller quake clusters - may show some aggravation related to these newer movements in the 'central' parts.
There are some quite vulnerable (to being affected by larger movements) areas on the planet at the moment. The Atlantic, Mediterranean, Indian Ocean, Japan, western Pacific (side of the ROF) for example, and even the lower central regions of the U.S., may be vulnerable to being problematic this year/month/anytime soon.
But, there has been a noticeable uptick in earthquake and volcanic activity, with such activity having increased by approximately 10% (I need to confirm this with another site that is full of great stats) in some regions since 2012.
Anyways, for the moment,
Duck.

Edited by duckweather (24/07/2013 14:31)
Edit Reason: need reading glasses - spelling again!

#1205290 - 24/07/2013 21:01 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

A buoy near the Dominican Republic is in event mode. There have been tremors there, e.g. M3.2, but you may think that this movement possibly wouldn't be enough to set a buoy off. There is a tropical depression heading their way and a forecast for 120 hours out from now, this will impact the Dominican region.
See NOAA here

Another buoy is in event mode west of the Gulf of Alaska, but unless I've missed something today, I don't think there has been a tremor in this exact spot today. It could be movement that hasn't registered yet. See same link above.

For the moment, Duck.

#1205329 - 25/07/2013 13:26 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Now, here's a very interesting article regarding the quakes in New Zealand, which, if I may say so, sort of confirms some of my suspicions about the valley/fault line here....
"Time to prepare for Alpine Fault quake "

For the moment, Duck.

#1205387 - 26/07/2013 10:29 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Was checking the below seismo this morning (early) as I suspected something was going to 'move' in the near term. Had a gut feeling something was brewing in Vic.
I've print screened the image on the seismo if any of you have missed it.
I have just got home from a couple of hours driving and seen this - Gippsland seismo

If you missed it, and don't get to see the page in time (only shows last hour), I'll put a pic up here.

Duck.

#1205393 - 26/07/2013 11:32 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I haven't seen anything come up on Geoscience regarding this movement on the Gippsland seismo.
Here's the pic

Info in image "Copyright The University of Melbourne 1994-2011" (and 2013)

Did anyone in Gippsland feel anything? Or was it a glitch or other?
Will wait and see.
For now, Duck.

#1205429 - 26/07/2013 20:48 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petros Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
... it was last night? Nothing to report from Maffra.

#1205433 - 26/07/2013 21:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petros]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Ah, I was waiting for you to reply Petros wink
This movement on the seismo happened at about 9.30 am (roughly) this morning.
There was also a small jiggle on a seismo north/east of Melbourne this arvo.
Sometimes spikes on seismo's are due to distant quakes (but I checked for other movements on other seismo's here and afar, and there were no reported tremors to correlate with the Gippsland seismo movement). Sometimes it can be other things affecting them like re-calibration, thunder/lightning, explosions amongst other things. Sometimes too, it can be earth movements not registering as earthquakes/tremors.
Still nothing has come up on the Geoscience site, and I'm sure that if it was a bone-rattler, we would have seen it talked about on Facebook etc.. But I'd like to know what caused this considerable action on the seismo - it looked like a tremor (type of behaviour) to me....

Cheers, Duck.

#1205435 - 26/07/2013 21:42 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petros Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
I'll have a look out our turbine vibrations for +/- 5mins from 09:30 am 26/7/13 DW and let you know if anything shows up (it should if the tremor was sensible).

#1205447 - 27/07/2013 08:20 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
There was a gas tank explosion in Sydney yesterday morning....

#1205457 - 27/07/2013 10:27 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Well perrywinkle and Petros, the above image of the seimo reading has got me a little tossed. Maybe the movement registered on the Narracan seismo was very localized.
Just for interest sake, I found an article titled "A Detailed Assessment of the Korumburra Earthquake Cluster, 2009" which mentions;
Quote:
Narracan Block, an uplifted block between the Bass-Almurta Fault and the
Kongwak Monocline (Figure 1). Both faults are considered to be
neotectonic
as there is significant geologically recent topography associated with them
(>100 m).

The article can be found here.

Anyway, Petros I found it interesting that you have records for your turbine vibrations...are these wind turbines?

Cheers for now, Duck.

#1205461 - 27/07/2013 10:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Ran out of time to add this article to my above posts;
Was thinking about mega quakes which have impacted the world in known recorded times. And the Alaskan mega quakes in 1964 is one that always astounds me.
"History Watch - The Great Alaskan Earthquake - 1964" is an article on The Watchers website, which has alot of interesting info and photos about this horrific event in Alaska. How they rebuilt this area and settled again still astounds me.

For now (again), Duck.

#1205487 - 27/07/2013 15:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Between Ranfurly and Palmerston, north of Dunedin, South island NZ, may be showing some fault irritation. This may be an area which may experience a smallish tremor in the short term. As I always say (and sound like a broken record) don't take my word for it - it is just a feeling folks.

For now, Duck.

#1205534 - 28/07/2013 10:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I have been rattling on lately regarding some jiggles, jitters on various Australian seismo's and some feelings of where movements may have occurred. I generally rely on the Geoscience site to verify any of my suspicions of movements in Oz. But, unfortunately I can't check the above at the moment, or there haven't been any tremors since 19:34 on the 23rd of July, as nothing has been recorded there. So bear with me folks, and when I get more info as to whether there have been any tremors in Australia for the last 5 days confused .....I'll jot them here. wink Duck.

#1205561 - 28/07/2013 16:46 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

To keep track of how New Zealand is fairing with its' many tremors, go here - last 250 tremors
The energy is traveling around the islands there, mostly following fault lines.
White Island volcano is showing increased activity.
For now, Duck.

Page 35 of 154 < 1 2 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Evil Kitty, Jake, ka0tik_pengwin, Nullamanna WX, shaunandwendy, stormygirl
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image