NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 84 of 154 < 1 2 ... 82 83 84 85 86 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1302243 - 22/01/2015 12:14 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi folks.

The U.S. came up with the M5 I was anticipating. My mind's eye had two locations in mind as being possible spots for this quake - one was a location with 'san-' in its name (the actual quake happened SSE of Santa Cruz and east of Greenfield - inland) and maybe Idaho.

I found the following link which displays a map of tremors/quakes recorded by this organization from the 24th July 2014 till now in the southern states and eastern side of the U.S. Interesting. The number of booming sound being reported in these regions is greatly increasing too (as in other parts of the U.S.)

Memphis Edu

The M6 came up in the Pacific west (E/PNG)I was anticipating - in conjunction with what I mentioned about the west being a hot-bed of activity atm. I don't think we have seen the end of possible M6's yet.

The Greenland Sea is 'misbehaving' quite regularly now along the Mid-Atlantic Ridge. It seems to me to be associated with Iceland's movement, though I tend to think that the whole of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge is active atm. Their quakes are all at a similar depth, which says to me that the energy and activity is common in behaviour (location types/crustal).

Australia has had a couple of not unexpected niggles (tremors) - WA and NSW (the latest ones). There may be more to come.

Below is the latest map showing the last 12 months of tremor/quakes for Australia - image courtesy of Geoscience Australia. We are not such a sleepy country smile

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (22/01/2015 12:16)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1302334 - 22/01/2015 17:54 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again for today.

I have been waiting for about an hour for Geoscience to possibly put up the tremor and after-movement that I think SA has had in the last hour and a half.
The Vic seimo (NW of Melbourne) also around this hour period registered small and regularly spaced movements.
Robe has had a couple of the same small movements (as Vic) in the last hour - the same 'shape' and size small movements as NW Vic.
The SA double movements were picked up simultaneously on many SA seismo's.
If there were indeed tremors in SA in the last hour and a half, I would guess that the first one just may have been around M3'ish and the subsequent movement and between M1 and M2, but sometimes it is a little hard for this amateur observer (me) to be exact on the size of the tremors.

Will see what Geoscience registers.......

Cheers, Duck.

#1302376 - 22/01/2015 19:15 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petros Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
Thanks Duck, keep us informed. Petros

#1302439 - 22/01/2015 21:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petros]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Thanks Petros smile

This is my 3rd post for today.

The U.S. has come up with a near M5 (M4.7) in Lakeview, Oregon and has just had an after-movement of M3.4.
In one of my last posts, I thought that an M5 may come up in Idaho, but not far from this state the M4.7 came up.

The seismo's in SA are still throwing up some interesting movements - see here Note that the seismographs listed on this link continually update, so the movements I am talking about may not be visible when you look there. The displays are for the current hour period.

Geoscience hasn't put anything up for SA yet. Geoscience website

The Mediterranean, western Pacific and the Himalayas are playing up a bit (Pacific alot) at the moment. The Indian Ocean is starting to come into the 'picture' again with an M4.5 South-West Indian Ridge (way SW of the SW tip of Western Australia). This last one may end up having a flow on effect to a possible movement way below Australia (south of) between the Southern Ocean and the Great Australian Bight....will see - could be wrong. Or...some energy may travel west/NNW from there....?

For now, Duck.

#1302649 - 23/01/2015 15:35 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Just a quickie post for now.

Vanuatu's M7 does not surprise me at all. I mentioned about 4 days ago that I felt an M6+ was brewing in the Pacific. It was eating at me that the very general region that Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Fiji and the Solomons were possibly going to be within the area I thought some substantial energy was building/going to give.

No tsunami is expected following this quake and it was quite deep at approx the 210kms mark. Though I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were some water disturbances - wave behaviour variations, currents affected and maybe even some onland ground issues to a degree....?

Anyway, nothing has come up for SA on Geoscience yet...

Cheers for now, Duck.

#1302882 - 24/01/2015 10:11 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Just as I thought re:

Quote:
The Indian Ocean is starting to come into the 'picture' again with an M4.5 South-West Indian Ridge (way SW of the SW tip of Western Australia). This last one may end up having a flow on effect to a possible movement way below Australia (south of) between the Southern Ocean and the Great Australian Bight....will see - could be wrong. Or...some energy may travel west/NNW from there....?

...which I mentioned in yesterdays posts, that the Indian Ocean is coming into its 'own again, and that the energy driving the quake in the SE Indian Ridge would possibly translate to the NNW or the east. An M5.1 came up on the SW Indian Ridge whch is WNW of the SE Indian Ridge quake.

That tremor I was rattling on about in a previous post, regarding SA, did occur. Geoscience put it up on their website late yesterday arvo. It was only an M2.3 at 10kms deep. I thought it may have actually been closer to an M3, but I was wrong. There was an after-movement, though this has not come up on the Geo site.

Italy, not far from Florence, had another series of tremors - cluster, with the largest one being an M4+.

For the moment, Duck.

#1303852 - 27/01/2015 07:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

First of all, Happy Australia Day for yesterday everyone.

I haven't had much of a chance to keep up with EQ activity in the last couple of days, so this is not going to be a thorough post, for now.

The U.S. is till experiencing tremors/quakes along the west coast, and leading into the regions surrounding and including Oklahoma. Idaho had a tremor (M3.3), which wasn't the M5 I was feeling may occur (post - couple of days ago).
The eastern side of the U.S. is still popping up with tremors, near the border with Canada particularly.

The Queen Charlotte Islands (Canada west coast) is still in the 'mix' for activity and may go on to experience some more movements.

The west of the Pacific has been continually active with M4+'s, which is a fairly typical size for the quakes in our regions.

The west coastal regions, and a couple of places inland-west, of South America has been experiencing quite a run of tremors/quakes. They (Chile?) may go on to feel and M5+ (I could be wrong).

The English Channel came up with a tremor in the last 24 hours. I reckon that there may be a 'push' occurring there and emanating possibly (and partly) from the Mid-Atlantic Ridge - exerting an eastward 'push' towards the UK and the west coasts of Europe (countries facing the Atlantic). There may also be energy coming up from the south from the plate Africa sits on.

In my amateur opinion, I feel that a raised (from the deep) magma activity across the globe is adding to or increasing the EQ activity in many spots across the globe. With new islands being formed here and there; many volcanoes going off and possibly increased sea floor spreading in the Atlantic and maybe the Pacific (???????), my mind's eye is suspecting that magma activity may be a stealthy energy behind some of the quakes on the planet. I also feel that magma may be sneaking through the crust in some unusual/not-previously-observed spots and may encourage some volcanic behaviours to emerge, perhaps in areas where this sort of deeper activity is not considered something needed to be observed normally.

As I always say.....I may be wrong in what I say, so 'pinch-of-salt' folks smile

Anyway, for now,

Duck.

#1304574 - 29/01/2015 21:45 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Gidday folks.

I saw the tremor in Victoria (near Bradford, just NW of Melb.) come up on the seismo's yesterday, but I didn't feel this one. WA and SA also came up with new tremors and I feel that Oz may see a couple more tremors come up in the short term.

The Pacific Ocean is feeling 'energy' in more places now, and not just around the western and eastern (and other) edges. Near the Galapagos Islands, SE Pacific Rise, north of NZ for example. Meaning the energy for potential movements id not isolating itself to the Ring of Fire. It wouldn't surprise me if the Easter Island region came up with an EQ too.

Hawaii, as I have eluded to in the past (re: follow on behaviour from the U.S. west coast quakes), has followed on from the M5 off the west coast of the U.S. with an M3.2.

Britain has had an M3+, which I would relate to the movements coming up in the English Channel recently, even though the English quake was onland near Leicester.

In Russia, the waterway and associated landforms (valleys) have started to become a regular region for tremors/quakes atm. Buryatia is the latest location for a quake in this general region.

As a matter of interest, there are particular waterways which are coming up as less 'usual' spots for quakes/tremors atm., this includes Russia (mentioned above) and eastern Canada (involving the St. Lawrence waterways. I find this quite curious. They may actually be displaying or hinting at fault lines - which wouldn't surprise me, given the terrain in these places - possibly showing subtly building pressures being relieved, such pressures emanating from distant major fault lines or plate edges...?

It seems to me that Puerto Rico gets up some movements too when the plates moving around the eastern side of the Pacific around Central America()including locations at sea) are irritated by quake producing pressures and movements.

I may be wrong with my 'observation' here, but I feel that the energy that has been hovering around the southern and west/central southern side of the Mediterranean Sea regions (incorporating northern Algeria) has gravitated north into the regions around Italy, Romania, Aegean Sea, Western Turkey etc. for the time being.

I think South Australia has had another tremor today.
Also, I was belatedly right about the general location of a quake coming up in Queensland (near Longreach) in the last couple of days. It fell on that vertical line I mentioned, the line being from the tip of Qld down to the Qld/NSW border.

Anyway, there have obviously been other quakes around the world, but for now I'll leave you with this post. Hopefully tomorrow sometime I'll be back (says arnie Duck).... smile

Cheers, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (29/01/2015 21:46)
Edit Reason: spelling again ;)

#1304817 - 31/01/2015 10:17 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Greymouth - West Coast, NZ..
Had a nice wee wobble here a little over an hour ago.. situated North of Oxford (Canterbury) registering a 3.9 @ 5 kms. It was enough to very lightly feel over the alps here in Greymouth.

#1305165 - 01/02/2015 21:34 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Dale Small]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Dale and all.

NZ has been having its 'usual' small jitters and some good shakes to the north of the Nth. Island, to the south of the Sth. Island and near you Dale 'in-between'. There was a movement which came up close to Cook Strait - which is a region I have been anticipating to perhaps follow on with a tremor/EQ given the movements I mentioned above. The near Cook Strait movement wasn't very significant though (which is good of course).

On a side note - have y'all noticed the number of volcanoes blowing their stacks atm.? Check out the amazing pics Japan - here
The tremors which go with the volcanic eruptions in this and other locations around the world have been numerous as are the eruptions and volcanic behaviours.

The U.S. quakes/tremors have slightly reduced in number for the moment...

The Aleutian Island chain has picked up activity as (in my mind) the energy for quakes has 'traveled' to this region.
In relation to this energy (again, in my minds' eye) Japan may come up with some more tremors/quakes, as may the Kamchatka region.

Algeria has come up with another tremor, in the 'mix' of energy floating around the northern regions of the Mediterranean.
I actually 'see' somewhat of a wavy curve of activity running from the Himalayan regions -> Arabian Peninsula -> upper Mediterranean countries -> Spain general areas. If you imagine arrows pointing north through all of these regions, that is how my minds'-eye sees where the energy may be coming from....I could be wrong.

The Australian plate seems to be continuing to provide enough momentum to continue the quakes coming up 'above' Australia, from NW, north and NE of our continent. A combination of this energy and the movement that is coming from the Pacific Plate (perhaps pushing westish/NW) may be helping cause the quakes in the countries and complex plate boundaries near PNG, Philippines, Taiwan etc.....

I still feel that the energy producing Central America's west coast quakes may be related to the EQ's popping up in the Puerto Rico regions.

So far, Easter Island hasn't come up on the quakes maps, like I felt it may....

Anyway, remember my feelings may be wrong - pinch-of-salt folks.

For now, Duck.

#1305751 - 05/02/2015 10:55 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I can't believe it has been 4 days'ish since my last post. Time is flying atm.

Anyway, the Mediterranean regions are still experiencing their tremors/quakes mostly in the northern reaches/countries, as I said it might do so (in a previous post). There seems to be a consistent irritation in this vast region.
Mount Etna has been very active with some beautiful photos of her eruption here.

The western side of the Pacific (including NZ) is still active and we may see another M6+ come up in the short term.

The west coast of South America has been particularly active (seismically) as I felt it also would be in this current period.

The movement/energy surrounding and from the west coast of Central America -> through to the Caribbean islands is now affecting Venezuela (recent M5).

China, near the Himalayas, is still active and the energy from or possibly associated with the latest quake in western Xizang may be related to the quake north of there in southern Xinjiang.

Australia is in a period of relative 'calm' with just subtle jitters on the seismo's (regarding Oz movements only) at the moment. But this will change in the short term, perhaps in the next week or so....(don't quote me on that)

Poor old Oklahoma and surrounds are still rattling along daily with tremors - with no end in sight. The U.S. west coast is still temperamental, with periodic or spasmodic bouts of tremors greater than M3.

My thoughts are that if the west coast of the U.S. gets another M5, there may be a follow on in Hawaii with an M3....

Canada is till popping up with tremors in various locations inland as well as near the Queen Charlotte islands.

Kamchatka is coming up with the quakes I felt it would. I still anticipate Japan (off shore?) may come up with an M5...

For now, Duck.

P.s. "Canada May Have Just Set A Fracking Earthquake World Record "

Edited by duckweather (05/02/2015 10:58)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1305878 - 06/02/2015 12:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

That energy (causing M5's and above) I have been eluding to and suspecting would happen, regarding the west coast of Central America and through to the Caribbean nations (including Venezuela, Northern reaches of South America), is still having an impact on these regions. Most of these quakes are at a rather shallow depth - plate related.

The Indian Ocean is revving up a bit too with a couple of M5's, and.....there is a volcano going off not too far from Madagascar to the east. It is contained to a volcanic island near Mauritius. There are rather alot of volcanoes acting up at the moment and some which are almost 'surprises'.

See "Significant increase in seismicity detected at Taal volcano, Philippines" The Watchers

The NE of the Indian Ocean, maybe up as far as Myanmar, may be one to watch for potential M5's.

For the moment, Duck.

#1306109 - 07/02/2015 11:39 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

It seems that most of the quakes and tremors in the last 24 hours or so haven't caused any damage - as far as I can ascertain from some sources of info.
Though, the M2.9 in Emerald Lake Hills, California, was definitely noted by a few folks there. It was described as a sharp jolt, from being felt as a 'medium' movement to a strong one. It was at a depth of 5kms and the nature of it being as people have described it leads me to think that another movement, possibly a little larger (M3+) may be on the horizon for this region. Alternatively, as sudden jolt may also mean that a potential for a larger tremor may just have been relieved....?

Japan came up with the quake I was anticipating for an eastern coastal region. The Kuril Islands, near Kamchatka, has also come up with movements. I see these locations as being the 'last' of the locations being affected by the energy movement in the Pacific as a whole at the moment - i.e. the momentum has ended up in these regions, even though the energy overall is still affecting the peripheries of the Pacific in other locations (I hope that made sense).

The energy in the Mediterranean has started to gravitate to the central regions (i.e. Crete, Cicily/Italy etc.) and not just the recent activity now in the northern parts/countries of the Mediterranean Sea regions.

We may see even more volcanic (tremors and) activity popping up here and there across the globe in 2015. It feels like the magma 'energy' is still on a 'mission' and is building (by degrees), exerting pressure in usual spots (volcanoes, fissures etc.), but also possibly spreading to other locations or potentially old vulnerable spots....will see how 2015 pans out in this regard.

All above - just my amateur opinion - pinch-of-salt folks.

For now, Duck.

#1306568 - 08/02/2015 17:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Seina Offline

Loc: Adelaide Hills
Hi duckweather,

What are your thoughts on promoting scientific discussion on this forum?

#1306605 - 08/02/2015 18:59 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Seina]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Cosmic-(naz).

I'm all for scientific discussion in the forum/s. People like me, who are amateur observers of sciences, can learn of many different, factual or even alternative perspectives on various areas of interest.
The respective forums (e.g. earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunami’s etc.) help isolate scientific conversations relevant to that ‘group’. As far as general scientific discussions, there are many interesting scientific papers, theories (etc.) which could fall into a general interest category.
I sometimes feel that I am hogging the earthquake thread and enjoy reading other WZ’s posts. At least I know others are possibly quite interested in my rattling on by the amazing view count grin
Please add any sciency stuff you want to on this thread Cosmic-naz wink

Cheers all, Duck (I may add another post later folks).

#1306627 - 08/02/2015 21:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Seina Offline

Loc: Adelaide Hills
Thanks for your feedback smile .

#1306632 - 08/02/2015 21:29 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Seina]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Cheers Cosmic-naz wink

Who likes 'arachnophobia' here? Well you'd love what I just got chased by on my decking....a big (I mean BIG), juicy and angry spider! I accidentally walked through the huge beginnings of its web strung between a tree (15 feet away) and a clothes horse sitting on the decking. I thought my kids were gonna discover mum hanging upside down bound up in a cocooned web with a delighted spider licking its chops ready for the feast of its life.....ok, a bit of an exaggeration. Adrenalin still rushing with that one... crazy

Anywayyyy, back to the EQ's.

The usual locations are still coming up with tremors/quakes atm. Some energy has emerged to the west of Japan, in the west of the Sea of Japan - near the east coast of Russia (NE of Vladivostok). Other than that, the Pacific hasn't thrown up anything more unusual yet.

Australia is possibly still on the cards for some tremors, I feel that SA (near or close to the Hawker region - just going by their seismo behaviour) may come up with an M3. Vic has been showing (seismo) some very small ticks as well. WA may also come up with some more tremors (I am actually drawn - in my mind's eye - a mining region and somewhere off the coast or into a beach region)
A near cross-border location (where borders intersect/meet) is sticking with me a little - may mean nothing.

I keep getting drawn to Africa, around Tanzania (very general region) for an M4+ (again, I could be wrong).

For the moment, spider bait Duck.

Edited by duckweather (08/02/2015 21:30)
Edit Reason: extra

#1306804 - 10/02/2015 10:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks, just another quicky post for now smile

Hawaii came up with the M3+ (M4.3) I was anticipating may occur, post the M5.2 which came up in the southern reaches of California (Baja). I had a feeling there may have been a follow on from the California quake (I have referred to this possibility on several occasions - possible link between the too regions - though vast in distance).

So far Easter island hasn't come up yet for a quake/tremor, but the Galapagos has had an M4.7.

South Australia has had a couple of niggles come up on their seismo's (near Hawker and Mount Rat) but these haven't as yet been registered on Geoscience as notable tremors.

For now, Duck.

#1306814 - 10/02/2015 11:44 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
Science - I'd love to see some geomorphologists, and emergency services specialists, parked in this thread. Anybody?

There seem to be broad patterns in tremor activity in Australia, but I suspect some of it comes from 'sampling', when a geologist has time to review real-time logs (eg in SA) for tremors which don't come up automatically.

Generally, activity in NSW/ Vic seems to come in waves. If it is quiet, it will become active (analogy to high pressure system being followed by a trough or front). There is a relationship to major quakes worldwide too.

There are definitely focii, but I suspect our human time scale is too short to identify all 'potential' sites.

My big concern is a lack of earthquake and tsunami preparedness in Australia. Why do people continue to be surprised by significant earthquakes?

I am aware that some emergency services, like NSW Fire Brigades, have considered and prepared for these scenarios at policy level. So, why isn't the general public given some education about what they are expected to do as individuals, so that preparedness is higher. It may never be needed...and that would be good.

I am 50, and the Picton, Newcastle, and Ellalong earthquakes were real wake-up calls for me. I am still amazed by the level of naivety in our community. None of my neighbours keeps water, basic shelter, lighting, non-perishable food etc on hand because they believe that in a disaster 'someone' (probably me?) will come and help them. The people I was with all denied that the quakes were in progress. For the Picton and Newcastle EQs, when shelves were swaying, books were falling, and windows were popping, they still refused to seek shelter, and said "We don't have earthquakes in Sydney!". That level of denial sets us all up for worse outcomes in case of a 'disaster'.

Science ... bring it on!

#1306890 - 10/02/2015 21:46 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Perrywinkle and all.

I just finished writing a large post (a great post actually) in response to Perrywinkle's post and some other stuff.......and my new computer crashed!!!!!! I lost the whole lot!!!!!!
I am so annoyed....gonna have a strong coffee...then I might try and remember what I typed before.

Grrrr Duck.

Page 84 of 154 < 1 2 ... 82 83 84 85 86 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 44 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
rodgerwareing
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image