NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 90 of 154 < 1 2 ... 88 89 90 91 92 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1327965 - 05/05/2015 12:46 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Brett Guy]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi Brett.

The land masses/islands and the reefs (and undersea structures in the 'bay' near this quake) may dull a fair amount of any sea disturbance in your region. The energy of any tsunami has to bypass these things and any affect on the Coral Sea may be more of current disturbance than waves effect/rise. Don't quote me on this - it is just an idea of mine which I feel could be the case for Green Island and other islands off QLD.

For now, Duck.

#1327968 - 05/05/2015 12:58 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Brett Guy Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
I agree duck.if the cairns area experinces anything it would just be tidal variatjons

#1327983 - 05/05/2015 15:05 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
NOAA buoys are going off, but the Aussie buoy is not showing a large disturbance.

#1327986 - 05/05/2015 15:12 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline

None of them seem to have shown significant fluctuations (which would only be a few cm over the open ocean) in water column height since the quake although three of the DART buoys are still in Event Mode sampling data at the more frequent 1min intervals just in case.

#1328004 - 05/05/2015 17:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Ken Kato]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Ken and all.

Yeh, the 'natural' (within the readings over the last few days) up-and-down cycle of the readings from the buoy in the Coral Sea dipped fairly quickly after the quake (i.e. a quicker drop down a metre in the cycling within a metre range).
The wavey curve appearance is following a regular pattern in its readings, but the quickening to the lowest part of the 'dip' is fairly evident. What I read from this is that the sea surface the buoy sits on, read a disturbance in conjunction with the large quake.

Three buoys are still in event mode - see here.
They are sensitive little things.

It would be interesting to know if anyone (Brett?)within the Coral Sea region noticed any disturbance in altered wave patterns (perhaps minor) or altered currents...?

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (05/05/2015 17:13)

#1328030 - 05/05/2015 20:37 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BlueMoon Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Kinka Bch, Cap Coast Qld
Hi all, there was also a Mag 6 quake 30km north west of Wanaka in the South Island of NZ yesterday

#1328043 - 05/05/2015 22:27 Re: Earthquakes [Re: BlueMoon]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi BlueMoon.

You are right. There was an M5.8 in the South Island. The following report from the Watchers site mentions that there are no active faults in this region (?). Perhaps this means that there were no known faults for this EQ location, but there seems to be another one to put on the faults maps now. I think this fault must be an offshoot of the major one which runs nearby this region.

Shallow M5.8 earthquake hits South Island, New Zealand

PNG is still feeling further movements and the U.S. is still experiencing a few more quakes larger than the small tremors they are used to.

The mid-Atlantic Ridge is showing agitation in a few locations throwing up M5's here and there.

Vanuatu has started coming up with quakes after PNG and New Zealand's quakes. This is not surprising given the concerted movements in the western side of the Pacific Plate.
Even the Balleny Islands, about 1000+ kms SSW of the South Island of New Zealand.

It appears that the bottom 2/3's of the planet contains most, if not all, of the current quakes and tremors. But we may go on to see some popping up in the Northern Hemisphere (in the top 3rd region of the planet) in the next week.

An interesting article re: Western Australia - " Western Australia isn't as tectonicall... May 04, 2015 "

There are more tremors on the Australian interior (several states) than I have seen for a long time - Geoscience map of Australia last 7 days
Geoscience map tremors last 30 days Oz and surrounds

For now, Duck.

#1328133 - 06/05/2015 18:32 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Brett Guy Offline

Originally Posted By: duckweather
Hi Ken and all.

Yeh, the 'natural' (within the readings over the last few days) up-and-down cycle of the readings from the buoy in the Coral Sea dipped fairly quickly after the quake (i.e. a quicker drop down a metre in the cycling within a metre range).
The wavey curve appearance is following a regular pattern in its readings, but the quickening to the lowest part of the 'dip' is fairly evident. What I read from this is that the sea surface the buoy sits on, read a disturbance in conjunction with the large quake.

Three buoys are still in event mode - see here.
They are sensitive little things.

It would be interesting to know if anyone (Brett?)within the Coral Sea region noticed any disturbance in altered wave patterns (perhaps minor) or altered currents...?

For now, Duck.

I did not notice anything. But to be honest i was too busy working to notice. Tidal records would be the best place to look.

#1328258 - 07/05/2015 17:48 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
logansi Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Adelaide S.A/Portland Vic
Now another 7+ near PNG 7.2 in prelim data

https://www.ausweatherforum.com

#1328259 - 07/05/2015 17:48 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline

Yet another big quake, this time a mag 7.3 with depth 23km (Geoscience Australia) in the Solomon Sea. No tsunami threat for Australia itself:

#1328262 - 07/05/2015 17:58 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Brett Guy Offline

Wow. Awfully busy out there atm.

#1328274 - 07/05/2015 19:06 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
ozone doug Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Roma SW QLD Eye to the West...
That probably about the 4 or 5 big shakes in that region in a week.

#1328464 - 09/05/2015 15:26 Re: Earthquakes [Re: ozone doug]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks (finally back).

The many quakes, and large ones at that, that have been plaguing PNG have been incredible.
For one region to feel as many big movements as they have, has been a bit disconcerting to observe. You can only imagine what is going on down in the depths where the movements creating these big quakes.
I read somewhere over the last couple of days, that locals in a region of the Bay, where the quakes took place, observed a distinct receding of the water line (to below the tide level), only for it to return but not cause inundation. Thank goodness that this scenario was just a minor one compared to the plate movements that have caused devastating tsunamis, such as Japan's.
I also read somewhere that there may have been a concern that these large quakes may (in an outside chance) be possible pre-cursors to an even larger quake - but I am not too sure about that. The energy expelled and/or the movements already released may have been enough to help avoid (or reduce the chance of) a very large quake.....time will tell.
One thing that has crossed my mind is that I am wondering if this activity in/around PNG could go on to produce some sort of volcanic activity? Without checking the actual current volcanic behaviour in PNG, I say this without any confirmation of knowledge of the lay-of-the-land there.

There is still movement happening in the PNG region, with a flow on affect in locations to the east, SE, down NZ way and back up in the western side of the Pacific. The Australian Plate and the Pacific Plate (including the involvement of other related plates) are rather relentless in their behaviours at the moment. It will either go on to produce more large quake/s or it will just toss around some of this energy and eventually calm to a degree where the quakes produced are fairly harmless and sporadic.

There is obviously more quake/tremor activity going on in the world at the moment (and Australia) but I need to catch up on these before I prattle on any more.

Take all I say with a pinch-of-salt folks smile

For now, Duck.

#1328595 - 10/05/2015 23:17 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Hope all the fellow mums had a pleasant Mother's Day today. Pity it is only one day in the year when you get fussed over and receive lots of loving messages from your cubs smile

I wanted to say about 2 hours ago that I felt in me bones that Vic may be in for a tremor - something just didn't feel right. As it turns out there was a small jitter on the seismo NW of Melbourne - so far. This came after some very small movements showing up on the same seismo over the previous hour.
I think we may also be getting some quirky bits on our seismo's here and there in relation to the major movements to the NE of the Oz mainland, which may (my thoughts only) be also having an effect on the southern portion of the Australian Plate and near NZ.

The large movements in the Pacific have settled a little, with PNG and surrounds having sporadic M4+'s now. But I still feel there may be a chance of another M5+ at some point.

Hawaii has had a decent rattle at M4+ with after movements. A volcano on the main island has been filling to a brim with lava and has been associated with tremoring.

The tremors/quakes from the region of Nepal and all the way through the Middle East and through to the west of the Mediterranean are almost coming up in a horizontal line.

The Chile region (and surrounds) is constantly feeling tremors and may go o to feel an M5(+?)

The U.S. west coastal region (and inland mountain ranges) and the greater regions surrounding Oklahoma are still rattling along with some good M3's. I feel the U.S could go on to feel an M5.

Mexico's M5 may not be the last M5 for the general Central American region.

Alaska has snuck in an M5 in response to the Cascadia/U.S. west coastal movements - and in relation to the northern regions of the Pacific Plate movements.

I get a bit of a feeling that there maybe another M6+ somewhere....?

Take all with a pinch-of-salt folks.

For now, Duck.

#1328631 - 11/05/2015 10:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks...a quicky post for now.

I mentioned in my last post that we may see another M6+ pop up "somewhere". I was feeling that it may have been Japan, because of the extra activity there recently. I didn't mention Japan in the post as I didn't want to elicit fears of another damaging quake for this region. The Atlantic, near Spain/Portugal, was another region catching my mind's-eye, and they have just had an M5.

For now, Duck.

#1328634 - 11/05/2015 10:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
hey duck , have a question for you. My son asked me if there will ever be an M10 earthquake. I said no , and he asked why not. Thats when my ability to answer him fell over. What are the limiting factors? I thought length of a fault maybe? Not sure what else.
Thoughts?

#1328641 - 11/05/2015 11:21 Re: Earthquakes [Re: BIG T]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi BIG T.

I love it when our kids ask us questions like that. My kids have asked me that question too in the past.

So...I'll add a link where this question has been posed before and an answer was offered by a Japanese scientist. Note; that this scientist was eluding to the Japanese coast and lands as an example of what an M10 could do.

Magnitude 10 temblor could happen: study Kyodo

The nature of a regions plate behaviour/dynamics may have alot to do with the potential of an M10. I believe that an M10 chance/occurrence somewhere on the planet is not beyond the realms of possibility, but the percentage chance in our lifetime may be very minimal.
The energy dispersed my an asteroid impact could 'mimic' the results of an M10 (or above), but this too may be of minimal chance......

I feel that there may have been something like an M10 in the very distant past, it is just that 'we' may not have been around to record such.

For now, Duck.

#1328642 - 11/05/2015 11:31 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
thanks , i will pass that on. cannot imagine such bad shaking / noise lasting an hr , that would test out one's composure levels.

#1328730 - 11/05/2015 21:11 Re: Earthquakes [Re: BIG T]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yep BIG T....not only would it possibly cause noise and reverberations surrounding the actual site of the quake, I would think that the vibrations sent off around the planet could possibly set off faults which may be vulnerable to such vibrations.

I feel there would be a global hum or booming noises as the sound 'energies' go through the solid parts of the planet. Animal sonar would be disturbed as sound waves would be erratic and irregularly distributed through the mediums (e.g. water, air) that the animals were normally accustomed to (the sound frequencies).

The energy also which causes the big quake, if you imagine the crust being like an egg shell, could put pressure on other places and possibly even create a pull on others.

Volcanic activity could possibly increase, if the quake for example was a subduction quake. But I also think that magma plumes and deep pools of such may, if a driver of plate movement, be possibly irritated, heated further in some places by physical and electric energy increase....just my amateur thoughts here and my 'science' could be very wrong here.

If such a quake was positioned to cause a major tsunami, I would imagine that the great earth movement could also have energy rebounding off other localized coast lines as well as the energy stored in the main tsunami and shock wave rebounding off coast lines afar. I feel that it would be reasonable to expect that nearly every waterway around the world may show signs of irritation (whatever form that takes) from vibration and/or physical energy received from the enormous energy output of a super quake.

Any energy given off in a huge amount, and contained in an entity (like the planet) may bang around the entity in particular directions at first, then become a muddle of displaced energy, until all of the energy is dispersed or absorbed in water or by structures (earth, lands, atmosphere etc.).

There is also energy which would be thrown up into the atmosphere generally below the site of the quake. But atmospheric science is not something I know much about, so I can't presume to understand the full impact of physical and electrical energy tossed up there.

Then the affect on the human race would vary - but that's a whole other story.

That all sounds like a dooms-day scenario and depressing doesn't it? But what I have written here is just an exploration of what may occur if there ever was an M10 or more quake. Someone with greater understanding of physics and other sciences may better describe the effects of an M10 than me - so take what I say with a huge pinch of salt folks.

For the moment, Duck.

#1328848 - 12/05/2015 17:30 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
logansi Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Adelaide S.A/Portland Vic
7.4 - Just hit Nepal in the last 20 mins

https://www.ausweatherforum.com

Page 90 of 154 < 1 2 ... 88 89 90 91 92 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Dane, Dicko, Gaboolsky, Mish, VK2UMG
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529257 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image