Page 32 of 139 < 1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 138 139 >
Topic Options
#1202452 - 04/07/2013 21:44 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Fiji's M5 (595kms deep) about 30 minutes ago registered on our seismo's and still is.
It was very deep and this movement has traveled deep through the 'crust'.
Global Incidents Map - EQ'S

#1202538 - 05/07/2013 20:55 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I've been watching the buoy readings for the buoy situated under Java, Indonesia, in the last few days.
As I said a couple of posts ago, I felt that this exact location was possibly going to experience a moderate EQ and unfortunately it did an hour ago.
The mid-Indian ridge also came up with a moderate EQ too 4 hours ago. SE of Yemen and maybe more south of the Mid-Indian Ridge EQ location may come up with some movement too...could be wrong.

The far NE tip of Vic/far SE corner of NSW came up with a small tremor off shore today too. There are sea floor 'deviations' here, before the shelf drops down to the deeper ocean. If I am correct in my observations here, I think that a Vic seismo is still 'niggled' slightly (showing subtle constant movements) since this movement and the EQ in the Solomons. Leon's seismo - Vic

California - Los Angeles had a cluster of continuous small tremors today. This may be a precursor to a further movement (M3+?) maybe towards San Diego and/or Baja, California....?

For the moment, Duck.

#1202553 - 06/07/2013 00:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

As I mentioned in the above post, I felt that the SE of Yemen was going to come up with a moderate EQ (M4.8) - (Gulf of Aden).
Will catch up with more in the morning (Sunday) - been watching Wimbledon tennis - good match, but too tired, so going to bed...good night folks wink sleep

#1202589 - 06/07/2013 10:20 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Now here's a curiosity regarding the depth of an earthquake...
Switzerland experienced an M1.7 10 hours ago, at a depth of -1km deep?????? recorded here on emsc-csem.org confused

Edited by duckweather (06/07/2013 10:20)

#1202600 - 06/07/2013 12:31 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I was wandering around the Department Of Mines and Energy
South Australia website, I came across a fascinating paper named "Strong Shock of Earthquake - The story of the four greatest earthquakes in the history of South Australia" - HERE - downloadable pdf by Tom Dyster, and is illustrated with interesting pictures and is 86 pages long.

Cheers, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (06/07/2013 12:31)
Edit Reason: poor spelling

#1202624 - 06/07/2013 15:28 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Unfortunately, as I mentioned a couple of days ago that this may occur, south of Padang, Indonesia, has experienced an M6+. Information is sketchy atm - info here
Let's hope that this has not impacted the people poorly.

#1202700 - 07/07/2013 10:37 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.
There are some interesting readings on a Gippsland seismo atm - here - 'NARR c' reading

Also, I have added a short post on my blog about San Francisco. My thoughts and prayers are with those affected by the plane accident.

Duck.

#1202736 - 07/07/2013 19:25 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

The M4 in Arizona 50 minutes ago, was in the Grand Canyon.
USGS info

#1202780 - 08/07/2013 09:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Good morning folks.
As many of you are aware, New Ireland PNG experienced an M7+ this morning and there was a subsequent M6.5 just west of this location in New Britain PNG one hour later.
The first EQ was very deep, and though no tsunami warning was issued, there must have been some sort of water disturbance. In my mind, if 'it' rocks the ground, it also disturbs everything else by degrees.
To look at the USGS info on both quakes (and others in the world), scroll down the list to the left and click on the locations for info - here

I had mentioned on my blog, that I had the number 7 (and multiples of, e.g. 7/7, 777, M7 and so on) sticking with me on 6/7 (our time). Maybe just coincidence...

There may be aftershocks from the PNG EQ's or transference of energies to some other regions near this part of the world.

For now, Duck.

#1202793 - 08/07/2013 13:52 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

The south of Java, Indonesia's M5.8 (51 kms from a volcano) has set off a buoy- see the National Data Buoy Centre It is showing a reading 'drop' off 150 metres.

There have been a succession of larger quakes since PNG's M7+ - maybe this was what was inkling me 2 days ago as to the multiple '7's I was getting a feeling for (obviously they are not all 7's). Hope this doesn't mean too that the eventual count of these quakes is 7.

Edited by duckweather (08/07/2013 13:54)
Edit Reason: correction on buoy depth

#1202794 - 08/07/2013 14:09 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petar @ Sdny Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: South West Sydney
And a 5.9 off El Salvador. And I don't think the uptick is finished. Getting a 4.0 off spain too as I type this.

Good work Duck smile

#1202802 - 08/07/2013 17:11 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petar @ Sdny]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Cheers, TC wink

For Melbournites, here's a link to a picture, which has plotted various EQ/tremors which have been recorded in Victoria/Melbourne.
The red dots are those recorded since January 2000.
The orange circles are those recorded since 1837 to 2000.

Melbourne's Earthquakes (picture part way down paqe)

If I am correct here TC, I think that major deep quakes can influence/set off movements worldwide.

Cheers, Duck.

#1202825 - 08/07/2013 21:11 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petar @ Sdny Offline
Weather Freak

Very correct Duckweather smile

I notice the Antigua & Barbuda region has had a 4.9 magnitude as well. In the last hour, Northern Algeria has had a 4.7 mag and Lebanon a 3.1 near the border with Syria.

http://global.shakemovie.princeton.edu/event.jsp

This is a great website from Princeton University, called ShakeMaps. Try it out.

#1202826 - 08/07/2013 21:29 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petar @ Sdny Offline
Weather Freak

http://youtu.be/fIq4tXDT_os

There is a presenter on YouTube that puts out daily morning videos (his time, as he is in Ohio). He discusses not just weather but also Space weather, Solar issues as well as Earthquakes in his videos.
Today's video has an interesting tangent on the busy Quake day we had.

#1202832 - 08/07/2013 21:55 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petar @ Sdny]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I had a gut feeling TC that there was going to be a kind of global effect set of movements.
The depth of the PNG movement and the like, are like rattling the foundations of a building - the rest of the structure may be impacted to some degree - degrees depending on points of vulnerability, obstacles (perhaps absorbers and/or deflectors of waves of energy, composition etc.)
Vulnerable points maybe 'sensitive' faults etc..
By composition I mean for example, in an earthquake, soil/land composition can mean the difference between mild to severe damage. If I remember correctly, areas of softer soils (or of varied composition) for example can experience more damage to structure/surrounds/peoples than an environment composed of, for example solid rock. (I may need to re-read the science on this one).

In a rough relation to the potential of a really deep rattler like PNG's M7+ - the dynamics of the movement (causes and subsequent action) may also be indicative of a non isolated (to this region) set of energies being released on somewhat on a scale beyond this region. An energy of any kind has a driving (or pulling) force somewhere...

One earthly dynamic which can interplay with movements of course, are volcanoes/magma movements. I wonder if a large movement like PNG's, is a trigger (by degrees) for increased volcanic activity?
The SW Pacific region (and NW and north of the Australian land), for example, has thrown up many larger movements in recent times and it makes you wonder what is going on down there - meaning I wish I could actually see (get a first hand look at) the changes happening (just my curious mind).
Obviously there have been other regions, like Japan, which have experienced dramatic movements too.

Anyways...with all the movements today, I'm starting to wonder of the Gulf of Alaska or the coast of California or the region of off-shore Canada may experience a larger movement too.....?

OOps, I've rattled on again smile

#1202957 - 10/07/2013 12:19 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Earthquakes, Headaches, Human and Animal Behaviours

For this post, I thought I would do something a little different.

Around the world, many individuals report disturbances in hearing/ear tonal noises, headaches, equilibrium issues, feelings of vertigo and even various levels of anxiety. Some have also described mood changes and an odd feeling of impending doom in a hand full of others.
One thing, which some find difficult to dispute and others may discredit as reality, is a basic natural, instinctual intuitiveness to sensing changes (many unseen) in the environment. If one is not absorbed with constant clang of daily life continually, which can be difficult depending on your personal circumstances, and is able to take a step back from ‘life’ and connect with and observe the natural environment, combined with our own natural instincts regarding shifts in energies, various subtle or obvious signs and signals around us can be observed.

Another observation of the ‘natural’ environment, which many has discussed in many parts of the world, is the reaction of animals to change in the environment. Some species have emerged from below their underground havens on mass, to the amazement of us humans in some cases. Some sea-life beachings have appeared to coincide with earth and under-sea movements and many dogs, cats and wild creatures’ behaviours have seemingly become erratic, unusual and some have displayed distinctive anxieties before the occurrence of an earth tremor or quake. Have you noticed the bird chatter in the air become almost silenced before a nature change occurs? And, sometimes animals migrating locally or to a distance prior to changes in the environment? There are many and varied reasons why fauna behave the way it does, but unusual behaviour is usually a signal of impending change, which if one is attuned to such can recognise in the moment.

But what is it that possibly causes all of these varying degrees of human and animal emotional and physical disturbance and altered behaviours?
I personally have always believed that the earth emits its own signals, such as electromagnetic fields, the odd stream of condensation from fault line disturbances, atmospheric disturbances, sound and energy waves and so on. Earth’s creatures are usually the first entities to register such changes and it can be our inadvertent or focused recognition of such behaviours which may, in some cases, warn us of a tremor, or at worst a larger earthquake scenario. Being tuned in to our own physiological ‘signals’ can add to an overall perception too.

Apart from this topic being avidly discussed on forums and elsewhere on the internet, scientific studies have been done on this phenomenon. Examples of such research papers can be found in the International Journal of Biometeorology, such as;
“Disturbances in equilibrium function after a major earthquake”
link http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3475992/ (by multiple Japanese authors)

“Headaches prior to earthquakes” – by L.L. Morton
link - http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF01044909

Another interesting article is;
“The use of animals in earthquake prediction” - by Dr. George PC (China study)
Link - http://rense.com/general61/use.htm

Sometimes I experience the kind of feelings of ‘pressure’ in my ears before large earthquakes in or near Australia. Before, as an example, PNG’s M7+ a couple of days ago, my ears had that feeling of pressure (like the ‘ear-blocking’ sensation-change in altitude) in the hours before this quake happened. I have experienced this on several occasions, though I don’t claim this to be absolute proof of an impending earth movement of course. Vertigo, on occasions, adding to the equation has left me with headaches (like the one I have now).
Before, during and after our Melbourne (Australia) M5.3 some time ago, I experienced all of these things, as well as a dizziness as the “P” shockwave passed through just before the rattling of the quake (“S” wave) began.

Anyway, I hope you found this post interesting and it is certainly only a brief chat about this topic.
Cheers, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (10/07/2013 12:22)

#1202985 - 10/07/2013 18:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just a quick note - I think near Gippsland/Narracan has had an M2+ about an hour ago....will wait for Geoscience to confirm this.

#1202992 - 10/07/2013 18:33 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Petros Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
Originally Posted By: duckweather
Just a quick note - I think near Gippsland/Narracan has had an M2+ about an hour ago....will wait for Geoscience to confirm this.

Felt nothing at Maffra.

#1202996 - 10/07/2013 18:56 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petros]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

That's interesting Petros and I am always interested to hear what people say in the areas where 'maybe' and definite tremors were.
Anyway, Narracan's seismo went almost 'off the scale' over an hour ago. It is a sensitive unit and it will be curious to see what it has picked up on...
Cheers, Duck wink

#1203048 - 11/07/2013 13:23 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yesterdays tremors in Australia are now starting to filter through on the Geoscience website . Will see if my suspicions about a 'maybe' tremor in Gippsland will show up yet.....
So far Tasmania and Western Australia have had tremors posted on Geoscience, till lunchtimes yesterday. Any movements after that time haven't been posted yet...

Page 32 of 139 < 1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 138 139 >

Who's Online
7 registered (GringosRain, petethemoskeet, snowbooby, Stormwalker, Eigerwand, sebbie78, 1 invisible), 346 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Caldoche, David Obeid, desblair, Morrisjub, rmj007, rummy21, StormQueen
Forum Stats
29638 Members
32 Forums
23947 Topics
1496029 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image