duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
SSW of Sydney has just had an M2

#1203075 - 11/07/2013 16:32 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

That near Sydney (I read as an) M2 I mentioned above was actually recorded as an M1.7 by Geoscience.
smile

#1203098 - 11/07/2013 20:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Well, so far Geoscience hasn't recorded anything for what I thought may have been a Gippsland movement.
The seismo which has been showing these interesting movements is based in Narracan, Gippsland - here - the NARR c readout.
This reading has shown some prominent spikes, with movements building up to the main spike, then tapering off in decreasing jiggles post this movement. So if nothing is coming up with Geoscience (and Petros didn't feel anything wink ), I am a bit tossed with what caused the spikes. Generally, they didn't seem to correspond with a non-local movement.

For now, Duck smile

Edited by duckweather (11/07/2013 20:04)
Edit Reason: spelling again

#1203233 - 12/07/2013 21:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I thought some of you may find this article interesting -
re: sonic booms and supershear earthquakes
This sentence I found interesting and 'confirms' some queries I had in a discussion with someone recently regarding the ends of fault lines behaviour when stressed.

Also, I've communicated with Ms. Milo and her brother was safe and sound in Indonesia after the big quake recently wink

I have been feeling in the last few days that Between Vic and South Australia (either one) a moderate tremor may be brewing....don't take my word for it though...it is just a feeling only. When (and if one occurs) - I'm not sure....the feeling I am getting is of an energy running east to west (from Vic to SA) and south to north (east of Melbourne)....we'll see...

Cheers for now, Duck

Edited by duckweather (12/07/2013 21:05)
Edit Reason: spelling again

#1203240 - 12/07/2013 21:21 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Ooops, I left out the 'sentence' I was referring to above - here 'tis;

"This creates a seismic mach cone that fires out the end of a faultís rupture zone"
blush

#1203328 - 13/07/2013 16:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Well folks, here is the energy starting to go through our seismo's (in the last couple of hours) which I mentioned, yesterday, could begin/occur soonish - seismo's s88U c and NARR c
My gut feeling seems to be right about such.
What is creating it could range from Vic fault tensions or tensions in a plate boundary or trench, for example.

Cheers, Duck.

#1203346 - 13/07/2013 21:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I meant to add this other seismo link, which also shows this 'energy' running through Vic atm. SA has also shown some jiggles here and there.

Vic seismo - Leon Mow - central Vic.

Cheers, Duck

#1203439 - 14/07/2013 20:01 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I came across an article on news.com.au which discusses fracking, EQ's and how distant large quakes which may disturb fault lines at a great distance from such. Much of the article 'confirms' my long held suspicions about man's actions in sourcing the earths' resources....
In one paragraph, mention is made that fracking induced tremors are not strong enough to feel. Now, I don't get into the 'politics' of things like this, but I tend to disagree with this - just ask the folks, for example, of a few of the southern states of the U.S....
Anyway, here's the link to the article, which is dated July 12th 2013

Also, on my blog, I have added earlier today some more 'notes' for July. I noticed Alaska has had a couple of moderate quakes - which I have mentioned as a region for a potential moderate EQ.

For now, Duck.

#1203506 - 15/07/2013 13:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

On the odd occasion a negative magnitude (e.g. M-1, M-2 etc) is recorded here and there.
I often wondered (being an amateur) how the heck could a tremor register a negative reading?
Well, I found this explanation of negative readings by a blogpost on the Pacific Northwest Seismograph Network site -

Quote:
Back in the day (1930s), magnitudes started as simply the logarithm of the amplitude of the largest oscillations written on a specific seismograph at CalTech (a Wood-Anderson torsion seismograph measuring horizontal motion, if you must know!). The instrument Charles Richter used was the standard. Really for no other reason than that he had it and so he used it. He used the logarithm of the amplitude because there was such a large range of amplitudes that the compression of scale you get from taking logs made things easier to plot. Some darned earthquake that was 100 km away, made a trace with a peak displacement of 1 mm on his seismograph and he called that the standard earthquake--magnitude 1. An earthquake at the same distance that made a displacement of 10 mm was a magnitude 2, 100 mm was magnitude 3, and so on. "Smaller" earthquakes closer to the lab or "larger" earthquakes more distant might produce the same peak amplitude, so the formula includes a distance correction for earthquakes not at the standard distance. This explains an enduring mystery to many folks--negative magnitudes. An earthquake that wrote a record with a peak displacement of 0.1 mm would be a magnitude 0, right? And if that earthquake were farther away than 100 km, well ... it would have a negative magnitude. Remember: Magnitudes are a relative size estimate. Nothing absolute about them (but, perhaps, Charlie Richter's arbitrary "standard" earthquake and seismograph); no physical units ascribed to them.

Interesting....

Edited by duckweather (15/07/2013 13:55)
Edit Reason: correction

#1203521 - 15/07/2013 16:27 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Well, well...I have just got back from driving for 2 hours. Just before I left, I was honing in on King Island in Bass Strait on Google Maps, as this region was niggling at me for a tremor today. And, an M3+ has come up 117 minutes ago.
I mentioned this on my blog yesterday as an area (Bass Strait) which may experience a tremor. That energy I kept harping on about was emanating (resonating with me) was from that region - the south to north I was gabbling on about.
I could feel it in my bones you could say - here is the link to Geoscience for this tremors' details

Curious, and will see if this affects any movement in the Selwyn Fault...will have to see....

Cheers, Duck.

#1203577 - 16/07/2013 00:47 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petar @ Sdny Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: South West Sydney
Wow what a run of Quakes in 3 hours:

Jan Mayen Islands Regions impacted by several quakes 4.5, 4.4 and 4.9 magnitudes.
Fiji region hit by two quakes 4.5 magnitude and 5.2 magnitudes
Bikini Atoll Region of Marshall Islands 5.4 magnitude

Alaskan unrest continues with ongoing quakes near known volcano hotspots. 4.4, 5.1 and 4.5 shakes.

Taiwan island region (that just had Soulik come through 2 days ago) been hit by 3 successive quakes 5.3 and 5.5 and 5.3 magnitudes.

Japan region - Southwestern Ryukyu Islands hit by 4.8 and 5.4 magnitudes

Just in - Samoa Islands region reported in with a 5.5 magnitude near Apo

And finished up with a 5.1 mag onland in the Dominican Republic and a 7.2 magnitude off the South Sandwich Island region

#1203615 - 16/07/2013 11:58 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petar @ Sdny]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yep TC, there has been a 'run' on this activity.
The Sandwich Island M7+ was a strike/slip movement at a fairly shallow depth. This is apparently near where the South American, Sandwich and the Antarctic plates interact in a varied behaviour of movements. It doesn't appear to be volcanic related. The nearest volcano, if I remember correctly, is about 171kms from the epicenter of this quake.

Most of the quakes in the last 24 hours have been plate related. Though there are many tremors emanating from volcanic activity atm, in their local vicinities, as well as fault jitters.

I still feel that Alaska is unsettled, as may be the west coast of the U.S. (California). Offshore Canada (maybe near the Queen Charlotte Islands) may show some activity too....?

The north-of and south-of regions of the Himalayas are sticking with me little atm. I get a feeling of a north 'push' up the the India region from the Indian Ocean (northern reaches), into China, Afghanistan etc..

More soon, gotta dash,
Duck.

#1203671 - 16/07/2013 18:05 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

What appears to have been 'going' all afternoon is a vibration (with slight variations in intensity) running through Vic and SA.
I was watching the Gippsland seismo's movements on an off for a while, then it went off line (Peeking Duck must have cooked it smile ) . So if you have a look at this Morphett Vale (South Oz) seismograph readings , you can see the 'energy' I am referring to also going through Vic. If you refresh this seismo, it updates - or it appears to auto update on this website - here. Also on this page, there are many other seismo's dotted around Australia, which you can observe.

I am not sure if these movements are reverberations from the South Sandwich quake or whether Bass Strait/Great Oz Bight is gearing up for some sort of movement...time will tell.

Cheers for now, Duck.

#1203696 - 16/07/2013 20:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petar @ Sdny Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: South West Sydney
Hi Duck,

I agree with the movements are reverberations from the Sth. Sandwich Islands quake. In the last 6 hours we have seen moderate quakes/tremors in areas not notable for tremors:

3.8 in western Lithuania
4.3 in Western Sahara

Just had two stronger shakes in the last hour, 5.9 mag near Solomon Islands/Bougainville and a 5.3 magnitude onland Taiwan.

Uptick in progress

#1203710 - 16/07/2013 21:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petar @ Sdny]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi TC wink

My radar may have been off regarding where a possible 'energy' was coming from...maybe the M7+ rattled the 'house foundations' (earths' crust) and the vibrations (which are still happening) are also related to the movements in PNG and Taiwan.
It almost feels like that anything (tremors) can pop up anywhere (like remote detonations) at the moment. We've seen some big quakes lately and it makes me wonder if another big movement is just around the corner - as in this beautiful planet has some unfinished business....(not meaning to be dramatic here).
I still have a feeling that Bass Strait may jiggle again. But with the headaches I've been getting with sinus lurgies at the moment my radar (as I mentioned above) may be misfiring crazy
We may see some more tremors pop up in unexpected places and some new fault lines will be discovered in some places over the next few months around the globe.
I am guessing that some of these moderate to larger movements may even create a few occurrences of new sinkholes in some parts of the world too.

For the moment, distracted Duck....

#1203894 - 17/07/2013 21:35 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

There have been a number of moderately sized tremors around the globe today.

Peru's M6+ was in the vicinity of a volcano and apparently several people were injured and about 20 houses were reduced to rubble.

Northern Alaska experienced the moderate quake I felt it would today.

Algeria's M5 was quite shallow and may have caused some damage/problems for the folks there and their dwellings. It is a well populated region and info may come out on the possible damage this quake has caused...hopefully little. Some people have reported strong shaking, some saying up to a minute/some less.

One earthquake I was drawn to today, was the M5.7 In the Shetland Islands (off shore), not far from Palmer Station (an American research station, which may only be currently populated by about 20 or so people, and has very established buildings). This quake followed on from the quake near the South Sandwich Island regions, along the same plate edge. All of the islands in the vicinity felt this quake - registering with the USGS a level "shake map V".

Japan had an M5.3, which is a reasonable size and near a subduction zone.

My info above is moderately sketchy, as I have been quite busy today, so haven't had much of a chance to look into any of the quakes with much depth.

For the moment, Duck.

#1204007 - 18/07/2013 11:43 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Given that my daughter has friends in Arkansas, I have been watching this region of the U.S. for some time now.
Arkansas (and nearby Oklahoma) have been experiencing moderately regular smaller tremors recently. Today an M2.4 and M3.3.
I stumbled across this article referred to on one of my other fave sites - The Watchers. Here's the article on Arkansas fault line of concern (article dated March 10, 2011).
Without any prior knowledge of the info in the above article, I have long suspected that this fault line is longer than it was previously thought to be. I also get a feeling that this region may one in the U.S. which may produce their next moderate tremor/quake this year. Let's hope I am wrong.

(Your gonna get sick of me saying this) Some of the Melbourne and S.A. seismo's are showing increasing subtle movements on them, for example;
Melbourne Uni Earth Sciences
Morphett Vale
In my limited chance/time to check some other Oz seismo's, this seems to be somewhat concentrated to the southern portion of Oz. Though, a couple of other seism's in Qld and WA seem to be agitated too - this may be because of the north of Oz (Indonesia for e.g.) plate movements and the SW and Indian Ocean (and NW of Oz) activity.

In the short term, I feel the moderate (M5+) movements across the globe may continue to pop up.

Hawaii's tremors may be due to volcanic activity and I also feel that this region may experience an M3(+?) soon. Today they had a small run of minor tremors which may indicate the possibility of further tremors....

There are some problematic volcanoes at the moment. For example Japan, Ecuador, Alaska, Guatemala, Mexico, New Zealand, just to name a few, are producing associated earthquakes/tremors in clusters and some intermittently.

For now,
Duck.

#1204081 - 18/07/2013 16:41 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just had to say this folks....1000001 views on this thread...fantastic wink

#1204166 - 18/07/2013 22:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
mysteriousbrad Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Rockhampton QLD
Earthquake reported in Tennant Creek, NT this evening.. interesting!

#1204233 - 19/07/2013 09:53 Re: Earthquakes [Re: mysteriousbrad]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

It is interesting mysteriousbrad. Tennant Creek is considered to be an earthquake hotspot by Geoscience - here's an article regarding considered hotspots in Oz - Here

Now here's a curious thing too - last night I was reading through a text on Captain Cooks' voyages in the Pacific, where he had set off from New Zealand. At the same time I was honing in on Cooks Strait, between the North and South Islands of NZ. This is where I was not only drawn to this region regarding tremors, but this correlated with the text I was reading how Captain Cook was the first European explorer to sail through this Strait. Maori legend has it that, according to Wikipedia,
Quote:
Cook Strait was discovered by Kupe the navigator. Kupe followed in his canoe a monstrous octopus called Te Wheke-a-Muturangi across Cook Strait and destroyed it in Tory Channel or at Pātea.

Anyway, my reading of the text and honing in on Cook Strait on Google Maps, and Cook Strait having experienced an M5+ today may have just been a coincidence and maybe not some premonition.

For now, Duck.

Page 33 of 131 < 1 2 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 130 131 >

Who's Online
2 registered (Eevo, 1 invisible), 279 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
bennnn23, jack63, MisterMikko, Spring
Forum Stats
29421 Members
32 Forums
23730 Topics
1469283 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image