NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 76 of 154 < 1 2 ... 74 75 76 77 78 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1274025 - 22/08/2014 12:30 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi folks.

That volcano and all of its tremors is actually on the Iceland island itself, not a nearby island I referred to in a past post. Dunno why I got fixed on an island to the SE of Iceland - silly me.

"Bárdarbunga volcano - intense earthquake swarm continues, Iceland" The Watchers

There was an M4+ in Iceland today which is the largest tremor to have occurred there in the last short while. I had a feeling that there may be a larger tremor in regards to all of the couple of thousand harmonic and other tremors there.

I have an urking feeling that we may see an M6+(+?) occur on the planet somewhere in the short term. It may either be in the Pacific (maybe west or east/SE) or in the South Sandwich Islands region or far NE of the Pacific (lesser magnitude)...???? Don't take my word for it, as I may be completely wrong here.
I just feel there is a global 'twitching' occurring at the moment and a region may respond with a moderate (+) sized quake.
Central America may be the first region in the next hour to feel an M4+.

Cheers for now, Duck.

P.S. Offshore El-Salvador has just come up on the Global Incident Map with an M4+...

Extra P.S. Tassie has come up with an M3+ this morning, I watched this movement radiate up into our seimo's.

Edited by duckweather (22/08/2014 12:34)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1274215 - 24/08/2014 11:43 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

The larger Chile quake has caused some landslides (with a couple of children injured because of one), damage to property and has panicked many folks in the regions affected by the movements.
The Earthquake Report has some extra info on these quakes and their impact on the communities.

In a previous post I mentioned "Q" as being a letter which was sticking with me. When I typed that paragraph, I was feeling strongly drawn to Valparaiso, Chile, particularly between Quilpue and Quintero, Chile. This is where, unfortunately the quakes occurred between these regions. I didn't want to mention this exactly, and remained 'cryptic' in my notes, as I feel it is not my place to proclaim a prediction for an area. If I did and I was wrong, I would feel stupid for doing so.

Iceland is persisting with EQ's, with the latest one being an M5+. The rumblings are, apparently, occurring under an ice sheet. Some extra info from Volcano Discovery here

The region to the NNE of the Saudi Arabian peninsula (Iran/Iraq border) is still unsettled.

There is still some 'energy' stealthily hanging around the French and British Isles. NE of Scotland has shown some small movement. An obscure thought of mine is - wondering if the concerted Iceland activity is somehow mildly related to the small movement in the NE of Scotland...??

There seems to me to still be some energy sneaking around South Australia, Vic, WA and maybe a little towards Tassie.

Maybe back later,
Duck.

Edited by duckweather (24/08/2014 11:44)

#1274259 - 24/08/2014 20:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

There's just been a big quake in the San Francisco Bay area in California at 8:20pm AEST. Prelim stats are magnitude 6.0 and depth of 10km. Here's their latest shakemap:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3882/14831107679_48694b7873_o.jpg

#1274263 - 24/08/2014 21:16 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petros Offline

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
That cannot be good.

#1274266 - 24/08/2014 21:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Ken Kato]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Ken and all.

This large quake (with ongoing after-movements) seems to possibly have occurred near or on the West Napa Fault Zone/Line. This is near a railway line and not far from the Napa County Airport. Along with the Napa River system, there are several water ways/areas and bridges in this region.
The quake has apparently not at this stage seen to have caused any major damage or personal injuries to the folks there. But we will have to wait for more info - it was early in the morning there, about 3.20 am. I hope all is well for the folks there as they assess any damage in daylight.
Depending on the locations of the folks who felt this quake, some have said that it came in two waves; some have said that it 'rolled' and some combine this feeling with distinct rattles.
My guess is that the waterways may have been disturbed with this quake and I am wondering if it caused any landslips.

I had a gut feeling we would see some M6's occur in the Pacific regions and peripheries in the short term. As I said in a previous post, it feels to me like the planet has got a bit of a 'twitchy' energy running around it at the moment. With that in mind, I felt that we would see M6's or M6+'s come up in a few places within a relatively short space of time - approx 24-36 hours time-frame.

For now, Duck.

P.s. The USGS has the event rated as a "Pager Orange" - see here USGS Event Page

Edited by duckweather (24/08/2014 21:28)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1274278 - 24/08/2014 23:20 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
Waiting to hear from my sister in SF bay area - guessing no news is good news.

#1274281 - 24/08/2014 23:37 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi perrywinkle.

Perhaps because this quake was in the middle of the night and has cut power to some regions, maybe many people are (in affected areas) waiting for daylight and power to come on and up.
I get a feeling she'll be ok. I think many people may not be able to go back to sleep after the quake and I hope you hear from her very soon.

The tremors there (after-movements) may fluctuate from minor (M1's, M2's) to small tremors (M3'ish). There may be a chance of another tremor upwards of M3 as the area settles itself again.

Emergency services and engineers are checking up on bridges and other structures to ensure their safety or otherwise. A quake of that size and at the fairly shallow depth it was, will unfortunately cause some damage to some properties/structures and has the potential to cause some injuries to some persons.
Let's hope that this has not caused too many issues for the folks there.

Best wishes perrywinkle, Duck.

#1274294 - 25/08/2014 08:23 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline

Last I heard, there were 120 injured, 6 critically.

Here's the updated USGS shakemap and PAGER graphics to aid in relief efforts (PAGER was orange last night but is now red):

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3857/14838093280_08dca93f8f_o.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3845/14838208457_dc48524754_o.png

#1274297 - 25/08/2014 08:36 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
Sister is fine, they were shaken awake, took their grab bags and went outside for assessment. They live in an older house, in central SF, so it has probably been through a few... A reminder to all of us to maintain an emergency kit and an evacuation plan (The FRS bushfire plan is a very good start!). Thank for concern Duck!

#1274300 - 25/08/2014 10:03 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Ken.
Yes this quake has shown that its produced some serious concerns for many folks and unfortunately, as you mention, has caused some serious injuries to several folks.
It has left the people quite shaken and has reminded them of the last big quake which hit in Loma Prieta in 1989, which was an M6.9 and caused 63 fatalities.
The Sacramento Bee - "Strong California quake causes injuries, damage" has some more info in a report on the impact to the communities.

Hi perrywinkle.
I am glad to hear that your sister is ok. They must have got a terrible fright when this quake rocked through their town. It would have been very unnerving for them.

Another larger quake has just occurred on land, near the coast of Peru.
The Earthquake Report will have extra info on this quake as it become available.
The USGS event page for Peru

Let's hope the Peru quake has not caused serious issues for the folks there. It, like the California quake (which was shallower), was of a relatively shallow depth of 14.8kms for the M7 there.

As I have kept mentioning in my last posts, there is a "twitching" (for want of a better word) of sorts around the globe atm - which seem to be focusing atm in the Pacific regions.

The South Sandwich Island has come up with an M5+, which I was unfortunately anticipating may occur too.

For now,

Duck.

Edited by duckweather (25/08/2014 10:03)

#1274302 - 25/08/2014 10:09 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: NE suburbs, Adelaide, South Au...
very disturbing images coming through of LOTS of quality wine being destroyed!!! frown

#1274307 - 25/08/2014 10:53 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ms Milo Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Angourie, North Coast NSW
I'll be in Cali this time next week. Don't like the idea of this rumble being a precursor to another biggie

#1274496 - 26/08/2014 18:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Ms Milo]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Ms Milo.

The USGS is suggesting that there may be a chance of potential M5 aftershock/s following the M6 in California, for the next week.
There are still some small tremors popping up at the moment, which are not generally uncommon for this region, but if we reflect on the recent tremor history for the California coastal region, there was a noticeable increase in the tremor activity in the weeks before the main M6 in the San Francisco region.

What I feel may follow on from this quake is this;
* The USGS may be right when they warn of a potential M5 after-movement;
* Another movement (M5 or M5+) may occur in a nearby or distant region somewhere along a fault line related to this quake;
* The regions west of Yellowstone may? come up with a follow on movement/s, or Yellowstone may? show some signs of tremor activity..????
* ??? A region along the coast of Central America may come up with an M5...(maybe even the Gulf of California??)
* ??? west/SW of Eureka, Oregon...

The above feelings are just speculations (maybe's) of what may occur...and I could be totally wrong. So take my thoughts with a pinch of salt (broken record).

But, no one can predict with certainty if or when another sizable quake may occur around the California regions. Even in watching tremor behaviour in one region, another region may be stealthily being affected by the movement from the first affected region (e.g. San Francisco).

I hope you enjoy your time in California Ms Milo, it's an interesting place (will I fit in your luggage?).
Remember...this last M6 may have been the main 'event' for the next 25 years (thinking of the Loma Prieta quake many years ago, which was the last biggie for San Francisco before this week's quake) and Cali may not go on the have an even bigger quake...in the short term, but as I said no one can predict such really.

Cheers, Duck.

#1274522 - 26/08/2014 20:52 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Ms Milo Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Angourie, North Coast NSW
Hi Duck,

Yeah pretty excited about the trip. Will keep you posted 'if' any activity occurs when I'm there

#1274729 - 28/08/2014 11:28 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Ms Milo]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

This silly old Duck had an 'argument' with the floor and a computer chair yesterday - what next blush I have ended up with an annoyingly sore derriere (coccyx), so sitting at a computer is not much fun atm. I feel like a twit and will be getting a rubber mat to sit under the chair in the future.

Anyway, for the moment, to keep an eye on EQ's globally and locally (watching Iceland currently) check these links below.
Once my red face disappears and sore butt settle, I'll jot some more stuff here in the near future.

Global Incidents Map - EQ's
Mappage (South Oz, Vic and NSW seismo's)
Geoscience Australia Map
Eathquake Report
The Watchers
USGS

There are many more links I could put up here, I might add them later...?

For now,
stupid damaged derriere Duck...

#1274772 - 28/08/2014 21:00 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

Iceland's incredible number of tremors, mixed in with quite a few M5's in recent days (and hours) is a little concerning.
The magma has moved towards several volcanic chambers/structures and has even melted deep glacial cauldrons as it gurgles away.
But if you want a better written explanation than what I have offered above, have a look at Eric Mack's report on Forbes(dot)com

Here's a link to the Icelandic Met Office - earthquake tremor map
...and another updated set of maps here

The Mediterranean region may come up with an M4+ (maybe near Greece or Crete or Turkey western or central.
West of the Mediterranean, e.g. Switzerland, France, Italy and maybe even the UK, may come up with tremors....Gibraltar region may come up with another movement too.

The peripheral regions of the Saudi Peninsula are still coming up with the odd M4 here and there, in more than one place - almost as if the tremors are coming up circling the Peninsula.

Australia is still 'moving' in small doses, with an interesting tremor coming up north of the Vic border - in NSW. Lower SW of WA is quite a regular one for experiencing tremors these days. But it's the odd tremor coming up inland that has me particularly interested (Vic, NSW, SA, WA...)

For now, Duck.

#1274806 - 29/08/2014 14:39 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
hey duck , you see rabaul has blown its stack again, png.1994 last time around. watch the up that way.

#1274817 - 29/08/2014 18:28 Re: Earthquakes [Re: BIG T]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi BIG T.

Yeh, and if you get a bit of a feel for where volcanoes (with their tremors/harmonic and other related quakes) are 'activating', it (to me) seems that the focus of deep volcanic activity has/is generally in the western regions of the Pacific, including Indonesia, PNG and other locations. But...there are other volcanoes which have shown rumbling in places like Italy, eastern Pacific continents (usually near where the plates are subducting or sliding past each other), Japan etc...
On top of this or post the 'usual' spots, places like central/east Africa, Iceland, Antarctica, for example, are showing activity - which looks to me like possibly a spread of deep magma plumes to regions other than the usual culprits of volcanic activity.

I have felt for a while and hinted at occasionally that we may see new or increased volcanic activity in various places, some of which may not have seen such activity for a long time.
This includes some of the undersea volcanoes which have made their presence known in places like the ones off Japan and Pakistan. The volcanic activity (fissure) at the western base of the Himalayas, as I said previously, was not a surprise to me.
Talking about volcanoes is relevant to the EQ thread, as there are many tremors and some EQ's related to such activity.

I feel there is some sort of a chance that we may still see, this year, another location with emergent volcanic activity, preceded by harmonic or intermittent tremors. This location (or 2 or 3) may be an unexpected location - one which has been considered 'dormant' or previously thought 'extinct' volcanoes or vent offshoots which may show some minor rumbles, not necessarily meaning major or troublesome eruptions. There may be some interesting activity to come.
I feel that maybe Yellowstone could be last on the list of potentials for activity (volcanic emissions) and that other locations in the same country may be the ones to show niggles of volcanic activity which may have scientists watching for potential 'mountain' irritations. Note: this paragraph is purely an amateur opinion and I may be very wrong - they are just feelings for what we may see in 2014 - perhaps going into 2015

There has been energy feeding into and off the coast of western Canada and (U.S.) Washington. I feel this may be an offshoot of the energy which activated the San Francisco quake recently - but sometimes I also feel that there maybe energy pushing out to the west from Yellowstone...??? Could be wrong.

I (in an amateur fashion) feel that Romania's M4 today may be in direct relation to the energy from Greece's quake today and the tremors id the surrounding regions...?

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (29/08/2014 18:29)

#1274860 - 30/08/2014 10:01 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Just briefly for the moment, I noticed that while Iceland has been experiencing EQ's and volcanic activity, the Atlantic Ridge (running up the middle of the Atlantic Ocean), has produced 2 smaller EQ's - one to the north of Iceland and one to the south of Iceland. The distance of these quakes from Iceland is approximately a couple of thousand kms (would have to measure this to be more precise). This 'tells' me that Iceland and these two quakes may be related - meaning that the Atlantic Ridge is being irritated or is moving in conjunction with Iceland's activity....I could be wrong.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (30/08/2014 10:01)

#1275140 - 01/09/2014 22:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Sometimes I am a bit reluctant to mention tremors or subtle rumbles I feel may have gone through here, as - if I feel it is localized and nothing comes up on the Geoscience quake maps/list in the following couple of days, I feel like a bit of a twit if I do mention what I think I have felt wink
But.... having said the above, I am going to say that we felt and heard a small rumble (more heard than felt) go through here just in the last 10 minutes or so. It did register on a 'local' seismo, but it may not have been enough of a register or an indecisive location for Geo to perhaps put it on their register.
One movement I thought I saw on seismo's yesterday was Mount Gambier. As far as a size, I'd hazard a guess as an M2..?? But nothing has shown up on the Geo register yet.
There have been what looks like, to me, some jittery small niggles/movements sneaking around the lower parts of Oz in the last couple of days or so. Some of these movements may be coming from reverberations from distant quakes, but I am quite sure that some are also movements localized to SA, Vic, NSW/Canberra and WA regions.
QLD moved again as I felt it would - near Innisfail.
I might put up another one of my 'maps-with-squiggles' tomorrow to show where I feel there may be our possible energy lurking around the above-mentioned regions. Some spots are obvious, as they are coming up with registered (location) tremors.

Iceland until 24 hours(ish) ago had its warning level reduced from 'red' to 'orange'. But since it's revved up again (with associated tremors/quakes) with a substantial M5.4 in the last hour and other last 24 hour activity, the level has been raised to red again. Not wanting to sound like a 'smarty' - I could feel it in my bones that the 'activity' was going to rev-up again - even with an M5+. I hope this activity doesn't poorly affect the folks in Iceland.

There is a buoy in the NE Indian Ocean (sort of westish at sea off Banda Aceh general region) - in the lower part of the Bay of Bengal - which has been activated for a while (24 hours or so) intermittently. The variation is about 40cms (?) - meaning that the drop down 40cms (for example) with the natural rise an fall that the buoy reads, takes 1 minute to achieve rather than a 'typical' 15 minutes (approx). Something is setting it off - I am thinking it could be plate activity...???

I'll catch up with the rest of the current activity tomorrow.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (01/09/2014 22:53)
Edit Reason: spelling again

Page 76 of 154 < 1 2 ... 74 75 76 77 78 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
chejian, Dusty Dervish, pogonantha, scott12
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image