NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 94 of 154 < 1 2 ... 92 93 94 95 96 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1332253 - 20/06/2015 23:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Do you do Vulcanism too? Interesting stuff

#1332254 - 20/06/2015 23:30 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Knot]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi Knot.

Ever since I was a kid, I have been a little obsessed with tremor activity. It all began when I felt the ground move one day and was in awe of how much bigger than me the ground beneath me was. I also became curious about liquefaction, when part of our backyard liquified after a heavy digger vibrated the ground so much that it raised the natural waterway running under our property. This expanded my curiosity of how earthquakes could cause liquefaction and ground destabilization also.
My father and I also studied the planets and moon via our enormously powerful telescope we built. Since then I have always felt there was a connection between the earth and the solar system. Volcanoes caught my curiosity too, but it has been ground movements that has stuck with me and the warning signs, effects and potential causes of such as my focus of interest.
I learnt basic science at school (in the dark ages smile ) but preferred to work off my natural intuition. I was and am very sensory orientated. I am not always right with my observations though - that may be where I should learn more about the science of 'things' - but I stubbornly would rather work with intuition and perception.

It try to add bits and pieces to the Volcano thread, but the EQ thread is my favorite place to rattle on with my ramblings. Speaking of volcanoes - there is a tremendous amount of volcanic activity at the moment....and some more surprise volcanic behaviours to come yet I feel.
Volcanoes are often associated with tremors, such as harmonic tremors - which to me are like the heart beats of a volcano. Mother Earth never ceases to interest me in the overall picture though smile

Cheers, Duck.

#1332268 - 21/06/2015 10:52 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Duck. Appreciate your thoughts. I was in Newcastle in 89 when the earthquake happened. Apparently it was a shallow quake and its destructive power was amplified by the nature of certain parts of Newie ( Hamilton for example) which are built on alluvial deposits from ancient meanderings of the Hunter river. Of course some of the building structural weaknesses didn't help either. Partic the old metal rod tie ins for shopfront awnings. Many just popped.
I was into volcanoes as a kid. I used to build models out of clay and place various froth or explosive forming materials in them to simulate eruptions. Mum used to hate me getting stuff on the ceiling he he he.

#1332357 - 22/06/2015 18:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Knot]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Knot.

Ah yes, those little destructive 'backyard' projects we all dabbled with as kids - they were fun weren't they? wink Had the joy of reliving some of these when I home-schooled one of my sons for a while cool

Early this morning, about 2am, I was jolted out of my sleep by two explosive sounds. After not hearing the emergency services activate, I figured that they were perhaps meteorites, as the sounds were 'over-head'...but not really sure. There was a sort of shock wave to go with the bangs - the first one was big and the second one sounded like a follow on 'bang'. Preceding the 'bangs' was a wooshing sound...very strange. Did anyone else hear or see anything in the Knox district? There is a small chance it could have come from underground (fault?), but nothing has been recorded formally....

South Australia is still rocking along with small tremors here and there. This the most activity - with tremors spotting in quite a vast stretch of a region - I have seen for a while. Have a look at Geoscience current records on these tremors - here.

One of those weird (and maybe wrong) good old feelings I have had since this morning is that something big is brewing. This is just a feeling that could be absolutely and hopefully totally wrong, so don't quote me on that. I am drawn to a few places, but will not say where they are, as I don't want to be irresponsible if Duck's feelings are just quack. There seems to be unfinished 'business' (energy) lurking in a few places, which may not be where a quake may happen - this energy could be expelled in a region we are not currently 'watching'. Remember folks - take what I say with a pinch of salt.

Nepal is still feeling ongoing quakes and may do so for quite a long time to come yet. This 'energy' is also seeming to pop up north and NW of this region into the NW and south of the Gobi desert (mainly close to the Himalayan mountains).

Fiji had a deep M6+ which may trigger follow on M5's in the western Pacific.

For now, Duck.

#1332499 - 24/06/2015 11:20 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Queensland has come up with another tremor, an M2.9 (0kms deep) SE of Monto. This does not surprise me, as I was anticipating Queensland to have tremors in the last 4 weeks or so. I feel there may be some small faults being irritated by the quakes north, NE and east of Queensland.

The M5's I anticipated coming up in the Pacific since the last larger tremor, M6+ (deep) near Fiji on the 22nd June. Though this has mainly been on the western side of the Pacific, I wouldn't be surprised if we may see a couple of M5+'s (?) come up along the eastern side of the Pacific as well.

Hawaii may come up with an M3.

The region of the Cascadia Fault lines (Canada west coast) and surrounding plates is/are teasing with tremors at the moment. There is a chance of a shift producing an M4+ there.
There may be another tremor along the waterway in eastern Canada (a line I am thinking of runs from the Gulf of St. Lawrence and Michigan (north eastern U.S.).

For now, Duck.

#1332538 - 24/06/2015 18:30 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Any thoughts of a major volcanic eruption somewhere equatorial or a little nth but sth of tropic of cancer Duck? Snow season ( what snow) in Oz could use an eruption right now.

#1332542 - 24/06/2015 18:37 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

P.s A good resource World Volcanic Activity

#1332546 - 24/06/2015 19:19 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Sinabung in Sumatra might be the ticket

#1332585 - 25/06/2015 13:17 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Knot]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Knot.

Where there is a concerted series of plate edge movements, such as the Aussie/Indo Plate/s meeting and going under/aggravating near and under the Indonesian (and surrounds) region, there can be a higher tendency for volcanoes to be more active than in inland locations. But, having said that, there are some decent volcanoes, sleeping and active, which can also be the potential ones to throw up major volcanic activity.

If you keep any eye on the updating EQ maps, such as the Global Incidents Map/EQ's, where you see many M5's coming up generally along a line where two plates meet (subducting plates are generally culprits in much volcanic eruptions/activity) you can generally get a feel that all of that kind of action will produce not only earthquakes, but may also kick off, increase or aggravate volcanic activity or provinces.

Australia may be sitting in the 'middle' of a big plate, but that doesn't mean that we are not immune to volcanic activity. Included in this thought, there are some volcanic type features (at sea) which lead up into a couple of places of Oz and are more than likely remnants of past active volcanic activity involving Australia. There are many volcanic features (many 'small') dotted all up and down the lands of NSW, Vic and SA. Qld also has some historic volcanic land features. I'm sure there are other locations in Oz with some sneaky volcanic features too. If I find a report I read recently (and may have even posted something in the Volcano thread?) that describes how some scientists are discovering 'new' old volcanic features on the Aussie continent - "they have been 'hidden' by features of the landscape, such as forests and bush" [not a direct quote].

Regular small tremors are, sometimes, to me a possible hint that there may be an outside chance that volcanic activity may be lurking in some regions. Though not all tremors are indicative of volcanic activity...

I'll try and catch up later with some EQ stuff smile

For now, Duck.

#1332705 - 26/06/2015 12:01 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
SEQLD represents with a 2.8 at Kilcoy yesterday arvo. Be the first one around here since 2002 i am guessing?

#1332716 - 26/06/2015 15:48 Re: Earthquakes [Re: BIG T]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi BIG T and all.

The Queensland tremors, are within regions which have felt tremors of up to M4.9 (4 months ago near Bundaberg). To look at some records of tremors for Qld for the last 37 years, as noted by the "Earthquake Track" see - here.

Queensland's current tremor activity confirms in my mind my recent suspicions for potential activity in this state for current times. Given that there have been 2 tremors within 2 days of each other, suggests (to me) that there is a potential for another tremor, if not in another region or a slightly larger tremor in either of the two latest regions. Don't quote me on that, as I may be wrong.
There is a considerable amount of M5's (the ones I mentioned could/would come up for the western Pacific) in the northern reaches of the plate Australia sits on, and towards the NE. This also may be energy associated with movements, coming in from the east of Queensland (countries like Fiji, Vanuatu, PNG and New Zealand/Kermadecs and Indonesia [north of Oz]).

The rest of the Pacific is behaving as I anticipated with M5's coming up on the eastern side as well. Canada west coast has not had the M5 I felt it might at this stage, but has had movements around M3 from memory.

South Australia is still feeling movements which may settle or be driven on to feel a few more small tremors and an outside chance of an M4'ish.

I feel that our continent has irritation lurking around the peripheries and an inland tremor may be 'kicked-off' if this persists.

I feel that the Rift zone in the NE of Africa is moving (has thrown up a tremor in the Red Sea in the last 24 hours).

Most of the quakes/tremors in the last 20 hours (as per Global Incidents map/EQ's) have been fairly shallow. I will hypothesize here and say I feel this is the sort of 'surface'/shallow' action which can come after a bigger quake somewhere on the planet. The number of M5's cropping up too may hint at a large quake yet to come up somewhere.....I may be wrong.

I'll try and get back later, for now,

Duck.

#1332829 - 28/06/2015 10:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

The earthquake on the border of Egypt and Israel appears to be directly related to a plate edge/fault which runs up the Red Sea and into this region.
The lower part of the Red Sea could be associated with the Rift Zone of NE Africa (see - East African Rift - Wiki)
Around the 25th June (UTC time/date), there was an M4+ in this lower region of the Red Sea. My suspicion is that the Rift is moving (as I said in a last post) and there is possibly energy driving up and surrounding the plate edges running up the Red Sea. The Egypt/Israel quake, I feel, is associated with the movements to the SE of this region in the Red Sea region/NE Africa.

Having said the above, I am feeling that the Indian Ocean may come up with another M4+ along the plate as it runs down from SE of Oman - through the centre of the Indian Ocean.....

For now, Duck.

...as I have finally finishing typing this post...an M5 has just come up in the Indian Ocean on the EQ maps in the location I felt it would.

Edited by duckweather (28/06/2015 10:20)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1333073 - 30/06/2015 19:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Just looking at the Global Incidents Map - EQ's you can see how much movement is going on in the Mediterranean. An M5 came up in southern Greece and over to France, there is intermittent movement going on there as well.

Regarding France, there is a slow-slip landslide going on at the moment, on the ESE side of France currently. The slip involves a road tunnel cutting through the mountain, and has affected the Tour de France course. There are tremors coming up in France in the general eastern regions which I hope don't destabilize the landslide there. See the report I found on this landslide *****here*****
Have a look at the other latest reports on landslides on various places (and the latest on Nepal) on the website link above. There will be (in my mind) more landslide reports to come in the near future - locations dotted around the globe as a result of EQ's, floods etc..

As I was working (writing) this arvo, I felt a very small jolt again, which made the roof trusses creak. There may also have been a very small tremor earlier than that- possibly an M1+ which I am waiting for Geoscience to confirm on their site.
South Oz has ongoing small movements happening daily.

PNG had a moderately shallow M6 five hours ago and the rest of the Pacific is also feeling some energy in various places.

Hawaii came up with a very interesting M5 (I conservatively anticipated a possible M3). I read somewhere quickly today that it may have been not due to a fault, but the weight of the volcano (epicenter of quake) may have caused a collapse of the volcano structure). At the time of reading that report, there had been no noticeable altered volcanic activity. ???Had magma vacated a pocket of space under the volcano momentarily or is there a fault currently unrealized associated with the quake???

I mentioned the waterway from the Gulf of St. Lawrence -> Michigan recently as possibly going to experience movement, and the western side of the Gulf came up with an M3.3.

The regions between Oklahoma and near Florida are active currently and will be interesting to observe as to how or if the Mississippi River region/swill be affected in any way...it may not...

The Jan Mayen Island region came up with an M5+ today, which is on the plate edges which run through to the north and the south of there (runs through Iceland).

generally speaking there has been some rather heightened activity in a few places and very generally on the planet (spread around). I still get a feeling we may see a large quake crop up somewhere.

Nepal and surrounds are still quite active.

For now, Duck.

#1333151 - 01/07/2015 14:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks. Just a bit of a quicky post for now.

Michigan came up with an M3.3, inline with what I was referring to in recent posts as energy (I felt was) lurking around the waterway from the Gulf of St. Lawrence over to Michigan.

Iceland came up with an EQ - M4+ and another, as I anticipated it would since the Jan Mayen island EQ.

Globally there is a bit of an energy 'tick' going on, also as I anticipated since the last big quake in the Pacific recently.
Generally, I see many of the quakes and tremor increased numbers occurring along the edges of the major plates - which is also saying to me that the great plates across the globe are feeling energy as a whole (global tick)[as I felt was going to happen].

for now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (01/07/2015 14:23)
Edit Reason: spelling again ;)

#1333349 - 03/07/2015 12:07 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Geoscience has pegged the west Gobi Desert (China) earthquake just now as an M6.8 at a shallow depth of about 12kms. The USGS has it pegged as an M6.1. Too early for damage reports at this stage.
As I was looking for info on this larger quake, I came across an interesting report on animal farms being set up in China to predict earthquakes - " What's shaking with China's animal earthquake experts? Xinhua, July 3, 2015 - China.org.cn

The global 'tick' I have been anticipating and rattling on about is still occurring, especially along the major plate edges. This includes the quake which came up near Macquarie Island (M6). This invloves the plate edge which runs through New Zealand. NZ has been experiencing follow on quakes (M5's) post the Macquarie Island quake and the quakes in the Kermadecs.

An inland tremor, which I was also anticipating, has come up in the NT for Australia. The NSW coast (remembering I mentioned that there will be peripheral tremors popping up on the Oz mainland [coastal regions]) has come up with 2 tremors around the Eden and Berridale regions. South Australia's concerted run of tremors has partially quietened for the moment.

There is obviously more EQ activity happening around the globe, but I may have to get back to that later.

For now, Duck.

Note: The quake for the NT (Oz) has been removed from the records today.

Edited by duckweather (03/07/2015 12:08)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1333662 - 06/07/2015 23:30 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Tonga's M6.2 (shallow 2kms according to the CSEM-EMSC, and 10kms deep according to the USGS) has not produced any tsunami warnings/advice at the time of typing this post. But I wouldn't mind betting there is some local water disturbance by a small degree and I can't see any buoy event-mode on the NOAA site

The west coast of South America is very active at the moment, with quakes/tremors popping up along and nearly the whole of the west coast.

The U.S. and Alaska have had some tremors larger than their 'usual' smaller tremors. Oklahoma is still rattling daily and Yellowstone has had a few niggles lately.

The vast Mediterranean region is still quite active with smaller tremors (around the M2 and M3 mark) with the odd M4+ now popping up a little more regularly in the current time frame (days). The western side of Turkey has had quite a few tremors today. I am wondering if perhaps the SW of Turkey (general region) may come up with an M4+(+?).

The far west of the desert in China, in relation to the NW of the Himalayas is active and has thrown up some decent tremors (M4+'s). I feel this is somewhat related to the quakes still coming up in and near Nepal.

Djibouti is on my mind at the moment, but may mean nothing.

That waterway region of Canada (from the Gulf of St. Lawrence -> back towards Michigan general region) is still active, as I felt it would be.

I don't think Hawaii is out of the woods for another M3 at the moment.

NZ's large/long plate edges is still moving (tremors popping up) since the larger quake in the Pacific islands to the NW.

The other day I found an interesting article regarding Holland -
"Dutch to Cut Gas Output Linked to Earthquakes Energy Journal "

Being school hols, mixed with my work and other things, I have a bit distracted from watching the quake activity, so I hope to be more thorough in future posts.

Cheers for now, Duck.

#1334030 - 09/07/2015 20:43 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

When Fiji's fairly deep quake happened a couple of hours ago, we heard an faint rumble go through here (corresponding with a couple of 'local' seismo's) which lasted (the rumble) for about 5 seconds. It started out as a faint noise and grew slighlty louder at about the 3 second mark, then faded. I will say it was definitely an after-sound of the Fiji quake.

The Pacific, in general, is still showing it has some ongoing energy floating around the plate edges. This energy has also shown up in some other places within the Pacific itself (away from the plate edges). I still (I know I sound like a broken record and obviously the more time that passes from when I first mentioned that I felt a large quake was possibly brewing - the higher the chances of one occurring is on the cards. This is in consideration of the percentage of larger quakes in 12 month periods over the years) feel that a larger quake is brewing - and I hope I am wrong.
The locations, behaviours (energy releases), quake sizes, depths, some sporadic behaviours etc.. of the tremors/quakes...have me feeling that (in considering this overall picture) a larger quake may suddenly occur, taking some by surprise.

Call me weird (and I am sure many of you will and do already wink ), but I had a inkling/feeling the other day that a white/yellow light (such as a comet/meteorite) will show itself soon. What I saw in my mind's-eye was a whitish light heading straight for here or visible from here. It got brighter as it got closer. But, not the 'Armageddon' that I have seen being talked about/speculated on for September on several 'alternative' websites, but one which many people will see before then. You will have to make up your own minds about the 'September asteroid' discussion. I don't feel fazed by all the discussion on this atm..

[I can hear your voices now saying..."that's it...Duck is a nut" You may be right, but I thought I'd just jot some of those 'left-of-centre' feelings I get sometimes smile ]

The far north of the Arabian Sea (land) is showing some movement atm. I.e. Pakistan, Arabian peninsula and surrounds...and back up to the western base of the Himalayas.

The vast Mediterranean region is still quite active. As I suspected it would the western end of Turkey had a run of tremors, and fortunately not the M5+ I was feeling may occur.

Mongolia had a quake 14 hours ago, not far from Lake Baikal (Russia) which is the kind of waterway region which has been on my mind (like St Lawrence through to Michigan) for movement in 'wateway' related faults.

The polar regions may also show the odd quake in the coming weeks.

As I always say folks, take what I rattle on about with a huge pinch-of-salt. I could be very wrong with what I mention (re; feelings).

For now, Duck.

#1334289 - 11/07/2015 09:36 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Enjoy your posts Duck. Couple of Nepalese centred Richter 4's couple of hours ago. Portend?

#1334335 - 11/07/2015 11:25 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Knot]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Knot...thanks for that wink

The Nepalese region will be an ongoing thing, as the plate that India sits on (below the base of the Himalayas) is showing signs of continual, though subtly sporadic, movement still. It is still grinding away - the lower plate pushing under the plate the Himalayas sit on. This energy is showing up almost all the way along the base of the Himalayas, as is evidenced by the quakes popping up to the western end of the Himalayas - the lower far western side of China and its neighboring countries.

I get this feeling that there is an 'energy' driving up, generally, from the southern hemisphere (involving the Indian Ocean, Southern Ocean and Pacific Ocean regions, for example), having an effect of moving the main plates northward towards the northern hemisphere, with the junction or the meeting of resistance with southern edges edges of the associated main plates of the northern hemisphere(I hope that made sense).

This energy may be also pushing the main Pacific Plate to grind past the continents of the America's. Then I feel that there may be 'energy' scooting off (though also being slightly pushed north) between the north American continent and the South American continent - which contains the Central American region and the Caribbean locations.

There are, of course, other plates involved with all of the locations I mentioned above, and where the Carribean meets the sea associated with the Atlantic Ocean, the Atlantic Plates then also may have an effect on movements in the general Caribbean and SE and eastern American regions.

The large quake in the Solomon's yesterday, may have been the quake I was anticipating for either that location or Japan was also another location which I felt there may be a larger quake to occur. I didn't mention either of those regions when I rattled on about the feeling I had about a large quake brewing, because if I was wrong, I didn't want to be labelled a fear-monger.

In my mind's-eye, I feel that the energy which caused the many tremors/quakes along the west coastal regions of South America, has moved north up the east of the Pacific and has shown up in Central America (Mexico and Costa Rica). This may continue up into the west coast of North America - maybe to produce an M4(+?) for the west coast of California - maybe SW of Eureka (off shore) or further south, very generally somewhere near the regions of Los Angeles or San Francisco. But of course, I could be very wrong folks.

There is always so much I would like to prattle on about, but I'll leave it for now...

Cheers, Duck.

#1334352 - 11/07/2015 12:54 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again folks (2nd post for today).

I meant to ask those of you who may have a keen understanding of the phases of the moon about something I saw recently. I know this is the EQ thread, but I'll jot my question here anyway. wink

Something about the moon really caught my (amateur observer) attention about 2 nights ago.

Here's my question about what I saw;

**Is it normal for the sunlit side of the moon to be in the absolute bottom half of the moon?? (this was at night)
Not on the 'SW or SE' visual perspective of the moon, like we 'commonly' see, but actually lit only on the absolute bottom half of the moon. Is this an unusual occurrence?

Personally, I have never seen this before.

Cheers, Duck.

Page 94 of 154 < 1 2 ... 92 93 94 95 96 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 41 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
colorado, Effrem, whitsunday
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image