Page 18 of 31 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 30 31 >
Topic Options
#1202821 - 08/07/2013 20:44 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Oxley Brisbane Qld
Solar Update

Evening all, hope you all survived Monday. Weekends are just never long enough smile

Lets take a quick peek at our Star and see what the menacing AR1785 is up to as it is now directly facing Earth. Eeeck!

Presently AR1785 still harbors energy for X-Class flares, the strongest kind (Beta Gamma Delta). It grew to a size of 720 millionths in area on Saturday but has since shrunk to a Colossal size of 610 millionths. Currently it is the equivalent to 11 Earth diameters in length. Pretty BIG and one of the largest sunspots we have seen this solar cycle 24. There are 29 sunspots within this active region.

Below is a really good close up black and white image.

Whilst it continually changes shape and transforms itself, it has been mostly quiet. The largest x-ray event was a mid range C-Class Solar flare earlier today.

Here is a close up of it over the last 24 hours with the 304 Angstrom

http://helioviewer.org/?movieId=49Z95

If we take a look at the Solar disc at present there are 5 active regions with a sunspot count totaling 112.

Interesting to note Solar winds are at an all time low of 311km/sec.

Well the dishes will not do themselves unfortunately so I will toddle off like a good stepford wife and clean them. Well actually throw them in the dishwasher smile Sorry for a super quick post tonight but I shall make up for it - promise.

Sweet Dreams and lets hope in the next 24 hours she unleashes but I'm not so sure the GOES Xray flux looks uneventful
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/rt_plots/xray_5m.html

Take Care
SDx

#1202824 - 08/07/2013 20:57 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Here we go weather folks while having touched on Jupiter and it's great red spot recently.
Love how they try to compare it to Earth's storms hehehe smile

Deadliest Spaceweather- Biggest Storm in the Solar System

It goes for 21 minutes from the weather channel

SDx

#1204852 - 21/07/2013 17:20 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Solar Update

Hello folks,

How has everyone been? What a beautiful day it has been in Brisbane, the sun was shining, magic day for picnicking in the backyard and doing some gardening. Winter days where you can shelter from cold breezes and sit in the sun soaking up her rays without burning in a matter of minutes, are just so energising! The best way to feel the energy from a day like today is go bare feet on the ground, soft grass is best, center yourself and just feel the energy flow, receive the Earths electrons. Ultimately a gift from the Sun wink

As I type this post there are two very large prominence's rising up off the surface of the Sun, one on the Eastern limb (left side) and one up on the top nearer to the right. Below is an image showing the surface of the Sun right now.

The little Blue dot in the corner of the image is the size of Earth in comparison.

Here is a video of the last 48 hours showing the prominence on the Eastern limb rise with a few explosions - great footage smile

http://helioviewer.org/?movieId=78T95

Helioviewer - Solar Features and Events

Actually Helioviewer now has the added ability to switch on Solar Features and Events, which is really cool. This will help you learn what you are viewing as it occurs on the Sun's surface. Well done guys form Helioviewer!

The below video is the exact same footage as above but with the new features turned on.

http://helioviewer.org/?movieId=h8T95

By Clicking Here it will take you to the Helioviewer blog where it explains how to use the new features and what it all means. It is titled 'Solar features and events from Heliophysics Event Knowledgebase - Enjoy! smile

Below shows solar activity is quite low presently with only two numbered active regions on the Solar disc - AR1793 and AR1800. Vast difference to yesterday where there were 6 active regions. The image on the right shows two large Coronal holes - the areas of deep blue. Earth has been in and out of Solar winds from these Coronal holes over the last 72 hours.

The Coronal hole in the Northern Hemisphere opened up like a big zipper the other day and probably still is over a million miles long. Solar winds have since subsided from this Coronal hole but were up as high as the mid 600km/sec yesterday.

Look at this incredible image of the Sun from Alan Friedman on 14 July 2013 while in Buffalo NY. He is absolutely such a talented Solar Photographer, I love all his images.

Well I must go and start to think of what we are going to eat for dinner smile and close the house up as it just got a little fresh now that the Sun is going down.

Have a wonderful week and I will let you know if anything occurs.
Take Care
SDx

#1205773 - 30/07/2013 20:42 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Everyone...

Do I have a little something out of the ordinary tonight to share with you all. Ever wonder what it would be like to be a fly on the wall? What about a camera on one of the solid rocket boosters attached to the space shuttles taking off into space.

This is from a little while ago but still amazing to watch none the less.

The footage was shot in high definition, so the image is quite exceptionally clear. But what puts this video head and shoulders above most other rocketcams is the sound. The audio has been remastered by the folks over at Skywalker Sound so it is really cool.

I won't give much more away as it is worth the 8 minutes of viewing.

The numbers flying past in the upper right hand corner is the Shuttle's airspeed. See that gleam of light against the inky backdrop of space at 2:08 and 3:11? That's the Shuttle continuing on its flight path into low Earth orbit, not the sun like I first thought LOL. Hear the eerie rattling, haunting moans, and weird dinosaur noises? That's what it sounds like to be a solid rocket booster, falling to Earth from an altitude of 150,000 feet.

Riding the Booster with enhanced sound - By Michael Interbartolo who worked on the Shuttle program.

AND now wait for it... The First Images from IRIS.

Quoted directly from NASA news...

On July 17, 2013, the international team of scientists and engineers who supported and built NASA's Interface Region Imaging Spectrograph, or IRIS, saw the culmination of years of work and planning. The door of the telescope opened for the first time to view the mysterious lowest layers of the sun's atmosphere. The data is crisp and clear, showing unprecedented detail of this little-observed region.

The two images below show a section of the sun as seen by SDO and IRIS. The image on the left is SDS and the image on the right is from IRIS...you can see the clarity IRIS brings to the photo.

Click Here
to read the article at NASA news.

The Sun as been a wee bit quite of late, I have a wonderful video or two to share from Helioviewer - it shows the beautiful formation of a prominence and solar flare as an active regions departs the solar disc.

http://helioviewer.org/?movieId=Cxw95

Here is the same video slowed right down where you will see the bright flash of a solar flare

http://helioviewer.org/?movieId=1Bw95

Well I will love you all and leave it here for tonight as I have much to do.
Take care all and I promise to bring more soon.

SDx

#1205870 - 31/07/2013 21:37 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
Ken Kato Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Ah yeah SunnyDays, I remember looking at that clip some years ago when it first appeared on the NASA multimedia webpage and I was so impressed back then, I downloaded and saved the clip to my computer (but the webpage link subsequently became invalid).

It's still one of my favourite shuttle-related clips because it shows the eerie harsh environment outside our atmosphere, the re-entry into our atmosphere and how thin our atmosphere itself really is.

#1206174 - 04/08/2013 17:15 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Pretty cool hey Ken, I'm glad you liked it - save the link to the video smile

I love how they have captured the re-entry, the whole thing really even the splash into the ocean at the end. I have to keep reminding myself when I watch it, that there were astronauts in the shuttle as it was taking off and how that would have felt.

Lets have a wee space shuttle moment, there are so many great videos capturing such a special time in space flight...

The Space Shuttle (Narrated by William Shatner)

Unique Video Shows Shuttle Endeavour at ISS

STS-129 HD Launch of Atlantis - this is a good one.

NASA Space Shuttle STS-110 Cockpit View of Landing

Here is a link to NASA's space shuttle mission http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/index.html

smile

#1206175 - 04/08/2013 17:18 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

A Little Poetry For This Evening smile

SDx

#1206296 - 05/08/2013 19:46 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
Dawgggg Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Townsville
Can anyone enlighten me to the bright planet in the western sky at 40 degrees ATM ?

Cheers

#1206319 - 05/08/2013 21:14 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
Nerd65 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Cranbrook, Townsville
Saturn I would say: www.fourmilab.ch/yoursky/cities.html‎

#1206362 - 06/08/2013 07:43 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
Dawgggg Offline

I did a little reading last night and came down to that it was most likely Saturn. It's very very bright, almost like Venus on sunset.

Have you seen it Nerd65

#1206443 - 06/08/2013 16:57 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: Dawgggg]
Nerd65 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Cranbrook, Townsville
Yes. A few nights ago my son pointed it out to me and I said it was probably Venus but it did seem a bit too high up for that time. I didn't give it any more thought until I saw your post so I looked it up and according to the sky chart it is Saturn.

#1206447 - 06/08/2013 17:21 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
Was paddling the yak uo at tinaroo last night and i've got to say it was one of the clearest skies I have seen in a long time. The milky way was radiant and full of shooting stars. Very peacful

#1206451 - 06/08/2013 17:52 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SBT Offline

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/08/05/the-sun-is-about-to-have-a-flipping-magnetic-field-reversal/

Sun about to flip poles. Nothing new here because it does it around every 11 years.

Quote:

Solar physicist Phil Scherrer, also at Stanford, describes what happens: “The sun’s polar magnetic fields weaken, go to zero, and then emerge again with the opposite polarity. This is a regular part of the solar cycle.”

A reversal of the sun’s magnetic field is, literally, a big event. The domain of the sun’s magnetic influence (also known as the “heliosphere”) extends billions of kilometers beyond Pluto. Changes to the field’s polarity ripple all the way out to the Voyager probes, on the doorstep of interstellar space.

When solar physicists talk about solar field reversals, their conversation often centres on the “current sheet.” The current sheet is a sprawling surface jutting outward from the sun’s equator where the sun’s slowly-rotating magnetic field induces an electrical current. The current itself is small, only one ten-billionth of an amp per square meter (0.0000000001 amps/m2), but there’s a lot of it: the amperage flows through a region 10,000 km thick and billions of kilometres wide. Electrically speaking, the entire heliosphere is organized around this enormous sheet.
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#1206452 - 06/08/2013 17:54 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
Dawgggg Offline

Persieds meteor shower will be at full hourly rate next Tuesday morning! It's a great shower and I recommend it!

I saw 70-80 in a hour last year !

#1206462 - 06/08/2013 19:39 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Guys smile

Trav... as the other's have said above it will have been Saturn if it was a planet you were looking for smile I noted earlier today when looking it up as I would like to take a look tonight and see if I can see it too shining brightly, that there is another Star (a big giant blue one 260 light years from Earth) called Spica. It is in the night sky currently positioned slightly lower to the left of Saturn. It has a magnitude of 1.04. Saturn would burn at a magnitude quite the same around 1.1. Was there another bright star near it? Won't be long and I will potter out in to the cold nights air and look up smile

Perseid Fireballs

AND you are right Trav... the beautiful Perseids meteor shower has started

Here is the link to the Science at NASA news update http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2013/26jul_perseids/

I hope our visibility will be good here in the Southern Hemisphere I read that the Northern Hemisphere will get a better viewing this year??? Must find out more but I know I was so thrilled to see a couple of fireballs last time I watched a meteor shower. smile

#1206466 - 06/08/2013 19:54 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SBT]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: SBT
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/08/05/the-sun-is-about-to-have-a-flipping-magnetic-field-reversal/

Sun about to flip poles. Nothing new here because it does it around every 11 years.

Quote:

Solar physicist Phil Scherrer, also at Stanford, describes what happens: “The sun’s polar magnetic fields weaken, go to zero, and then emerge again with the opposite polarity. This is a regular part of the solar cycle.”

A reversal of the sun’s magnetic field is, literally, a big event. The domain of the sun’s magnetic influence (also known as the “heliosphere”) extends billions of kilometers beyond Pluto. Changes to the field’s polarity ripple all the way out to the Voyager probes, on the doorstep of interstellar space.

When solar physicists talk about solar field reversals, their conversation often centres on the “current sheet.” The current sheet is a sprawling surface jutting outward from the sun’s equator where the sun’s slowly-rotating magnetic field induces an electrical current. The current itself is small, only one ten-billionth of an amp per square meter (0.0000000001 amps/m2), but there’s a lot of it: the amperage flows through a region 10,000 km thick and billions of kilometres wide. Electrically speaking, the entire heliosphere is organized around this enormous sheet.

SBT - glad to see you wink

Thanks for sharing this exciting news!

The Sun indeed is about to flip... I thought so when the activity picked up in the Southern Hemisphere on the Sun a little while back that it shouldn't be too far off. The North began quite some time ago and the South has been lagging.

Here is the link to Science at NASA news update for those who would like to read more http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2013/05aug_fieldflip/

The Sun's Magnetic Field is About to Flip - quite informative little video smile

I'm really quite excited as this will be my first Solar field reversal as I wasn't quite watching the Sun like I do today 11 years ago. AND we have all the great new instruments to measure the whole event.

So lets stay tuned as it gets closer!

SDx

#1206473 - 06/08/2013 20:42 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

BLUE MOON

I'm surfing the net passing some time...

Thought I would give you all a good heads up - the next Blue Moon is going to occur on 21 August 2013.

So Pretty smile

SDx

#1206477 - 06/08/2013 21:07 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Oh I forgot to type before.

Did any of you watch 60 minutes on Sunday night? I had a tear in my eye - It was on the Voyager Space crafts.

Here is the link to the page on the 60 minutes website on the segment. Ray Martin was the reporter.

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8699750

It was quite interesting....

- 17 hours is how long it takes for Voyager to receive a message from Headquarters.

- We will loose contact in 2025.

- You get to see the little room where they monitor all of voyagers travels.

Quote:
In 1977, NASA launched the two Voyager space probes from Cape Canaveral in Florida.

Their mission was supposed to last for five years and take them on a journey to explore Jupiter and Saturn.

They kept going past Uranus and Neptune and continued onwards, away from the Sun.

36 years later, Voyager 1 is now 18 billion kilometres from Earth. It's by far the furthest a manmade object has ever travelled.

In fact, some scientists believe Voyager 1 is now entering interstellar space, where the influence of the Milky Way takes over from the Sun's gravitational pull.

Ray Martin was at Cape Canaveral when the Voyager probes were first launched and he's just been back to NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory to see how they're travelling!

Don't forget to pencil in your 2025 diaries to stay tuned for when we will loose contact for ever frown
SDx

#1206478 - 06/08/2013 21:07 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
Ms Milo Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Angourie, North Coast NSW
Magnetic fields flipping, meteor showers and blue moons. This thread has it all.

#1206480 - 06/08/2013 21:12 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
I love the images in this thread - just stunning.
And....you are doing a great job with the info you and other folks here for us all to lurk and look at... wink
As far as meteorite showers go, the one I witnessed from a sunset to a sunrise here in Melbourne's SE, was something I will remember and cherish for the rest of this Duck's days. I stayed up all night, sitting in a window, awestruck by the spectacle (visual and sounds). Pity my dinosaur video camera back then could only manage to capture the sound only - picture quality was pretty rank.
Anyway, cheers from the ol' Duck smile

Page 18 of 31 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 30 31 >

Who's Online
9 registered (Steve777, Timbuck, StormCapture, Lee@Hazo, Cheers, Warmfront, RC, 2 invisible), 84 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
caffeinated, Chaser_James, coffeeman, rhyso, Shear-iously
Forum Stats
29343 Members
32 Forums
23661 Topics
1458634 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image