NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 36 of 154 < 1 2 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1205562 - 28/07/2013 17:14 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
I meant to add this above...bit slow aren't I?
I have been watching some cloud formations across New South Wales today and there has been a huge spread of 'ribbing' from the far west of the state, right across to the coast (encompassing the regions around and below Sydney). Now this may mean nothing on the tremor front and may just be a weather phenomenon, but I do feel there may have been/is some fault line (maybe just minor) jitters, here and there, right across the lower half of the state.
Victoria has had a faint 'energy' running through it in the last couple of hours too. There have also been some awesome 'ribbed' clouds to the east of here too this arvo.
I hope Geoscience updates their registers (tremors) tomorrow. I've got a gut feeling that many states (not including Qld. maybe) have had some jitters in the last 5 days....
For now, Duck.

#1205671 - 29/07/2013 18:54 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Petros Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
Originally Posted By: duckweather
Well perrywinkle and Petros, the above image of the seimo reading has got me a little tossed. Maybe the movement registered on the Narracan seismo was very localized.
Just for interest sake, I found an article titled "A Detailed Assessment of the Korumburra Earthquake Cluster, 2009" which mentions;
Quote:
Narracan Block, an uplifted block between the Bass-Almurta Fault and the
Kongwak Monocline (Figure 1). Both faults are considered to be
neotectonic
as there is significant geologically recent topography associated with them
(>100 m).

The article can be found here.

Anyway, Petros I found it interesting that you have records for your turbine vibrations...are these wind turbines?

Cheers for now, Duck.

Its large steam turbine-generators Duck, but I couldn't see any vibrations recorded around the time of the last Gippsland tremor.

#1205674 - 29/07/2013 19:39 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petros]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Petros wink
That's interesting. All I know (with my limited knowledge) is that they put a seismo in the Narracan region near a fault line which was showing activity some years (?) ago, to monitor it's behaviours. Unless it is a super dooper sensitive instrument, I am very curious about this seismo's rather regular moderate spikes recently.
I personally think (if this hasn't already been done) a couple of other seismo's could be dotted along the north to south regions, say from the Lilydale general region, dotted down towards the south. This would be east of the Dandenong Ranges. That's just my amateur thought/opinion....I wish I could have a proper registering seismo at my place, but I think I may be too close to a main road for it to be accurate at certain times of the day.

Anyways, Geoscience is starting to put up some readings for tremors around Oz for the period of the last 6 days. The NT had an M3+ today and, so far, only one other tremor in WA has been put up on their site. I'd be gobsmacked if there actually hadn't been any other tremors in the last 6 days...will see if Geoscience put up some more recent ones soon.

The western side of the ROF has been quite active in the last couple of days (including the NE of the Indian Ocean/NW + N of Oz mainland - Indonesia and near India).

The central/southern states of the U.S. are still popping up with M3's and there may be more to come.
Yellowstone seems to be feeling the affects, sometimes, of semi-distant tremors. I get this feeling that Yellowstone has 'energy' passing through it from other regions and only occasionally is getting a little upset on a local basis. Though, I do get a sneaking feeling that this region may come up with an M3(+?) in the near future.

The Mediterranean is still experiencing quite a few smaller tremors with the odd M4 or M4+ popping up near Crete/Western Turkey and potential other spots.

Japan is experiencing quite a few tremors daily, though these don't all show up on the Global Incidents Map.

New Zealand's tremors are occurring, as I said in another post, generally along the associated fault lines of the Cook Strait quakes. I feel this region may feel another moderate tremor again soon. Near Christchurch (west'ish) had a decent rattle and I hope this doesn't set off the faults nearer to Christchurch region.

Hawaii, I feel, may experience an M3(+?) at some point soon, as may the west coast of California.
The region near the Queen Charlotte Islands experienced a moderate quake recently, like I felt it would. I don't think the potential for another movement has ceased there.

Alaska has been rattling with quite a few smaller tremors lately and I feel there may be a moderate one on the horizon soon, maybe in the north of the Gulf and/or along the Aleutians.

Woops, I have rattled on blush

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (29/07/2013 19:40)
Edit Reason: need reading glasses - spelling again!

#1205743 - 30/07/2013 17:21 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just a quick note for the moment - the Aegean Sea series of earthquakes is in the part of western Turkey where I felt there was going to be some serious movement/s.
For the moment, Duck.

#1205813 - 31/07/2013 10:15 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Being the info-seeking nerd I can be, I thought I'd jot some info here regarding the Croatian EQ of M4+ which occurred some 10 hours ago.
Link to some info on this EQ - from a writer on BIN
and, a very interesting history on Croatia's EQ history can be found - here - Institute For The Restoration Of Dubrovnik

For now, Duck.

#1205967 - 01/08/2013 18:39 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I'm getting a sneaking feeling that we may see an M6+(?) occur very soon either from Japan down through to Indonesia somewhere or to the east of Oz (well away from our mainland - well overseas perhaps). 'Water' or just offshore somewhere is sticking with me.
I suspected the Banda Sea region may experience a movement post the Ceram Sea (Indonesia) movement and it has. I've been out and haven't had a chance to jot much today.
SE China, SE Greece and SE Italy are resonating with me for some movements, but again folks, these are just feelings, not predictions, I could be very wrong.
The south of Jakarta (off southern coast), south of Padang and the Sulu/Celebes Seas may experience some movement.
For the moment, Duck.

#1206027 - 02/08/2013 12:54 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just a quick note for the moment,
The region between Lake Dartmouth (Vic) and Mt. Kosciusko National Park (NSW) may be showing signs if a fault jitter and maybe near Renmark (SA) as well. This are just feelings folks, not predictions of tremors. (I could be wrong here)
For now, Duck.

extra; eastern Kasmir, east of Islamabad, has just come up with an M5.4. Very recently I mentioned the possibility of movements like this along this curve of these mountain ranges. In my mind it may be because of northward pressure from south of these ranges (Himalayas) - just a thought.

Edited by duckweather (02/08/2013 12:59)
Edit Reason: extra

#1206033 - 02/08/2013 13:45 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Add to the above post - maybe 50kms NE of Mannum SA.

#1206055 - 02/08/2013 17:12 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just observing a glass of water on a table atm. It is showing some faint movement. Instead of just a slight vibration (when energy travels through from a distant tremor/quake) there is a very slight wobble in the water. This usually has me suspecting that this is localized to Vic and it may be one of our faults moving/jiggling slightly?? Building to a tremor?? not sure, but it is reminiscent of movements past.....time will tell...

Cheers, Duck.

Only just then checked this seismo - here
This may be what I am seeing atm....interesting.

Edited by duckweather (02/08/2013 17:14)

#1206094 - 03/08/2013 11:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

This article by Japan Bureau Chief Michiyo Ishida of Channel NewsAsia is interesting - "Japan prepares for possible big earthquake"
With the seemingly constant movements on/near Japan, this has been something I have unfortunately thought may eventuate for Japan and it's peoples. Of course, let's hope we are all wrong.

#1206166 - 04/08/2013 14:34 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Sometimes I find it a little creepy that I jot info or notes on a particular region (mainly because it may be on my mind or twigging my intuition for that moment) and the region/s mentioned may come up with a substantial movement.
Japan has just experiences a near M6 in the last hour or so. And, my last post was about an article on Japan - see previous post.
My general feeling is that if we start to see some M5+ movements regularly along the western edge of the ROF (within a period of approx a week or so), meaning if we may see M5+'s start to pop up from Kamchatka, all the way down through to even NZ (and maybe over to Easter Island and Chile {and maybe the Gulf of California - near la Paz}), there may be an outside chance that a substantial EQ may be on the horizon in a 'vulnerable zone'. This just a lay persons' hypothesis and is not based on scientific knowledge.

I hope this latest quake in Japan hasn't caused damage or concerns for the peoples there.
This latest M5.8 is in the general region impacted by their 11/3/12 M9 quake.

For the moment, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (04/08/2013 14:37)

#1206234 - 05/08/2013 11:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

This video is not related to EQ's, so sorry to put it here, but I found it fascinating (and a bit creepy [that word again]).
It is a longish video (about 14 minutes) about a time lapse of all the nuclear explosions between 1945 and 1998. It is an artistic impression, by Japanese artist Isao Hashimoto with sound and animation, which is amazing and quite numbing to watch.

And, while mentioning Japan in a previous post, have a look at this vid, which gives a timeline in 2011 around their terrible quakes. Not meaning to be morbid here, but the 2011 quakes put into this perspective is also a reminder of what the folks of Japan had to contend with then. Let's hope we don't see this activity again.

For the moment, Duck.

#1206277 - 05/08/2013 17:09 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Jax Offline
Weather Freak

That nuclear timeline raises questions about so-called "normal background radiation" - particularly when we measure the potential harm from nuclear accidents by it.

#1206278 - 05/08/2013 17:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Jax]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Jax.
I have, on occasions, wondered what 'life' the fallout has post an explosion. Meaning, how long does the radiation last for before it can be deemed 'safe'.

Just regarding EQ's today, some regions in/near Chile, Indonesia so far, have come up with some reasonably sized quakes, as I felt they may. The islands maybe, offshore e.g. PNG across to Samoa/Tonga may feel some movements too this week (if not in the next 24-36 hours). Taiwan and near Davao maybe too.

Before the Owen Fracure Zone region M4.8, SE of Yemen, off shore, a buoy NE of this location was showing some jittery readings.

California has had a cluster and an M4+ and this region seems to be a little jittery still, even though regular small tremors are not unusual here. For some reason, as I mentioned in blog (June/July?), I felt there may be a 'water/sea issue' for San Francisco region or somewhere along Cali west coast where there is a large bridge (i.e. water passing pylons in a strong current)....just a feeling.

For now, Duck.

#1206399 - 06/08/2013 10:44 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Some 18 days a go, I mentioned how surprised and pleased I was for WZ that the view count for this thread had reached 100,000. Since then we have amassed an extra 14,600 views, fantastic.

Anyway, Samoa has experienced the M5+ I said it might within a possible 24-36 hours from the time of the last post. Chile regions also had a run of M4+'s too.

The Californian coast is seeming to show intermittent bursts of M3's and an odd M4. The energy here seems to come in such bursts and to me, feels like a little more agitation along the fault lines there, and feeding back in or from the mountain ranges to the west of Yellowstone and surrounds. Yellowstone also came up with the M3 I was expecting and I still feel there may be another on the horizon. This 'energy' may also be translating to the Canada/Washington border.

Alaska has been experiencing rather a run on tremors too. This may be a sign of another moderate (M4 [+?]) movement in the very near future.

One thing I noticed after Japan's, M6 the other day, was that the Mediterranean region followed on almost immediately with multiple tremors. This may not be related though....?
I am getting a feeling that there may be an M4+ for the Mediterranean region brewing - either Crete or maybe Turkey.

The Himalayan region is still experiencing the odd M5...and may continue to do so sporadically.

Australia -
The gold medal for number of tremors in Oz goes to WA.
Silver goes to NSW.
Bronze goes to SA (which, along with WA is usually top of the list)
'Runners up' have been the NT and Tassie/near.
Victoria has been disqualified from this list for being very uninteresting so far. confused
Here's Geoscience records for the last 30 days

For the moment, Duck.

#1206467 - 06/08/2013 19:56 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I didn't think I was imagining things...Tasmania came up with an M3 near midnight, 3/8/13, which didn't show up on the "Australia - last 7 days map"...
It was just offshore on the SSW of the state where various 'deviations' in the plates all point to this spot. Link to Geoscience record here...

Cheers, Duck.

#1206496 - 07/08/2013 06:48 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
cyclone sally Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: 40km south of Gladstone
Shakey night in Vanuatu with a M5.9 followed closely by a M5.7. Both earthquakes were quiet with no loud bangs or jet noises like the ones before.The roosters started crowing in the dark for over an hour and the hens joined in, making a hell of a racket! Not much sleep.

#1206504 - 07/08/2013 09:00 Re: Earthquakes [Re: cyclone sally]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi cyclone sally.
The islands can be an interesting place to be. I remember when I was in Fiji, many moons ago, I was watching some beautiful coral sea snakes on the waters' edge, when a fairly regular tremor (at sea) for the region occurred. The snakes (like in suspended animation) stopped still for a moment, then got on with wriggling around quite happily. I remember thinking, I felt happier when they got on with playing in the little waves. That may sound silly, but animals are such a good indicator of what's happening in the environment.
Just like the chooks/roosters you mentioned, they are terrific sensors of changes and happenings around us.

No matter what though, feeling the ground move is quite unnerving. These EQ's in Vanuatu were quite close to the islands, but didn't raise any alert for a tsunami. There may have been a little water disturbance, but the mechanisms of these movements were not apparently the type to cause concerning water disturbances.

I hope there weren't any structural or other issues for you and the islanders.
I know you are coming back to Oz at some point, and though there are the odd tremors/EQ's occurring, I'm sure you'll miss Vanuatu in many ways - the people, the climate, the sea and the food. Great place - you lucky thing smile

Cheers,
from the Duck.

#1206632 - 08/08/2013 10:21 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

A couple of days ago, I mentioned that I felt since Japan's M6, that the western side of the ROF (Indonesia, Aleutians, the Pacific Islands generally etc.) and Chile, Easter island...may come up with movements in concert with the NW movement (Japan). Unfortunately they did, but thankfully not too problematic for the regions, as far as I know at this stage.
Central America was another region I thought may be affected, but didn't mention it here.

Greece and Turkey also came up with some moderate movements, though I thought the SE of Greece may show some reasonable movement, but it was more west of this location. In the last few minutes, Crete has experienced an M3.1.

There may be some more moderate EQ's towards the Himalayas region, Northern India, Myanmar etc...

I still have a feeling that we may see an M5+ in the Pacific region, maybe north or north east of the Australian mainland (another country) and/or approx 800 kms west of Nikolski, Alaska, which had an M4.2 (8/8/13 US time) - co-ord's 50.205N:179.96E. Now that last possible location is just a feeling - for some reason I am being drawn to this region (and I may be quite wrong here).

The fault line running through the San Jacinto Mountains in Southern California, from approx east of L.A. and to just west and NW of the Salton Sea has been experiencing several smaller tremors. This fault line splinters off in a SE fashion from the San Andreas Fault (I call the San Andreas, in relation to these smaller faults - the Parent Fault in this region [California]). There may be a moderate tremor for this region, anywhere from L.A. down to near Mexicali...will see.

For the moment, Duck.

#1206636 - 08/08/2013 10:45 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just checked the Global Incidents Map and Myanmar has come up with an M5 and Crete is still experiencing smaller tremors. Crete seems rather unsettled.

Page 36 of 154 < 1 2 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
benny200, ChaseNZ, ptera, stormymick1, ThunderstormZ, typhoonbeach
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image