Page 30 of 30 < 1 2 ... 28 29 30
Topic Options
#1208631 - 30/08/2013 08:46 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - June - August 2013 [Re: hickory]
Dawgggg Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Townsville
We had 5 lock downs in grade 8 lol bomb threats.

#1208645 - 30/08/2013 11:17 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - June - August 2013 [Re: hickory]
Things Offline

Loc: Blair Athol, SA
LOL! I remember when I was at Wulguru, we had bomb threats basically every other week grin

And no, I don't think the lockdowns are an overreaction. Even though the crime scene was a few km away, it backed directly onto a cane field right beside both of the schools, which would have been a convenient hiding spot for them.

It was also partly because of the number of armed cops walking around, they didn't really want the younger kids to walk out of school and see that. I went down to pic up my brother at 3pm before I realized they were in lockdown and there were armed cops _everywhere_.

And yes, lockdown is under the desks/lights off/doors locked etc. I know at Redlynch at least, they try to do a drill every 2nd term.

#1208675 - 30/08/2013 22:23 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - June - August 2013 [Re: hickory]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: Wide Bay..Near the beach
There's a reasonable chance of a few showers locally by Tuesday as a large high (1040hPa according to BoM) gets established down south.

#1208682 - 31/08/2013 08:27 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - June - August 2013 [Re: Things]
pogonantha Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Maadi, Tully area
Originally Posted By: Things

And no, I don't think the lockdowns are an overreaction. Even though the crime scene was a few km away, it backed directly onto a cane field right beside both of the schools, which would have been a convenient hiding spot for them.

It was also partly because of the number of armed cops walking around, they didn't really want the younger kids to walk out of school and see that. I went down to pic up my brother at 3pm before I realized they were in lockdown and there were armed cops _everywhere_.

Yeah..fair points there things..better safe than sorry.

A few light showers down this way to start off the weekend and looking like it may continue through the week..great timing too as it may well provide the stimulus for the spring hatching of the March flies..I cant wait..

#1208684 - 31/08/2013 09:14 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - June - August 2013 [Re: Things]
ColdFront Offline

Originally Posted By: Things

Unfortunately you need to state the obvious to some people Things. It's a bit like the need for "official" weather stations on hillsides in Australia's wettest city and the potential of them to alert to flood risk downstream . Particularly at Brinsmead that would indicate what may lay ahead for Manunda, Westcourt etc. I noticed BoM have rolled a few new ones out around Townsville for flood warnings too rather than rely on amateurs wink Common sense stuff.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2013/08/26/387952_news.html

I was called by a work colleague who was stranded in Innisfail when the lock down was all over the news and she couldn't get hold of her husband . Her kids were at St Andrews. I'd like to see people saying it was an over reaction stand in front of her husband and say it. In fact I'd pay to see it.

Getting some good gusts at home here.

#1208699 - 31/08/2013 11:51 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - June - August 2013 [Re: Things]
Hurricane force Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Cairns, Parramatta park.
Rainfall fall models are showing some shower activity later on in the week.Hopefully enough to give my garden a good drink. Defiantly starting to feel spring in the air. Getting hotter by the day. grin 29.1c

August- 2.0mm

2014 Totals- 2352.6mm
2015 Totals- 2635.1mm
2016 Totals- 1495.7mm

#1208723 - 31/08/2013 16:53 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - June - August 2013 [Re: ColdFront]
pogonantha Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: ColdFront

Unfortunately you need to state the obvious to some people Things. It's a bit like the need for "official" weather stations on hillsides in Australia's wettest city and the potential of them to alert to flood risk downstream . Particularly at Brinsmead that would indicate what may lay ahead for Manunda, Westcourt etc. I noticed BoM have rolled a few new ones out around Townsville for flood warnings too rather than rely on amateurs wink Common sense stuff.

Coldfront,below is an excerpt that may begin to explain why the experts have deemed Townsville worthy of more rain gauges and Cairns not...

"Cairns has a rather peculiar flood hydrology. The delta on which the bulk of the city stands has not been
fed by a river for perhaps many tens of thousands of years. It does not, therefore, have the level of threat
from major riverine flooding experienced in other coastal Queensland cities, such as Brisbane,
Bundaberg, Mackay, Rockhampton or Townsville, which grew around their river ports."

heres a link if you want to learn more...

http://www.ga.gov.au/webtemp/image_cache/GA4170.pdf

Edited by teckert (31/08/2013 17:05)
Edit Reason: deleted unnecessary remarks - please refrain from this in future.

#1208727 - 31/08/2013 17:27 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - June 2013 [Re: hickory]
ColdFront Offline

*EDIT* by mod?

From your article " though smaller catchments can cause serious localised flooding throughout the area".

Hence my "SUGGESTION" that they should put some stations on "HILLSIDES" to get an early warning when Cairns is on High Tide in a prolonged torrential rain period.

Given that many homes around Manunda, Westcourt and Mooroobool can suffer inundation particularly on high tide it goes without saying that the airport rain gauge which often grossly understates what is happening just a few kilometres away is pretty much useless a lot of the time.

From your article...

"Flash flooding in the other catchments, especially the streams that flow into Trinity Inlet, is a potentially significant problem. Not only are there significantly more properties exposed to urban drainage surcharge, the risk to life is significant because of its rapid onset the propensity for careless or foolish behaviour by some people in and around floodwaters."

Too bad then that there is no effective measurement of what's really going on because they are reading totals at a grossly understated gauge at the airport.

Read the full link if you want to learn more. Nowhere in there do they suggest Cairns is not worthy of more gauges by the way.

#1208731 - 31/08/2013 18:06 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - June 2013 [Re: hickory]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
I sort of have to side with Pogo here. The speed that the floods tend to happen in those areas would almost negate the effectiveness of guages and in reality looking out your window would be a far better way of getting an idea of what might happen. Also the statement about the careless and foolish behaviour sort of supports one of my long held beliefs which is that regardless of how much info you give to people most will still have no idea what is going on untill they are swimming. It's almost a case of 'why waste your money trying to help people that couldn't be bothered helping themselves'.

#1208737 - 31/08/2013 18:51 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - June 2013 [Re: hickory]
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Kirwan, Townsville - NQld.
have you actually read what the state government is investing in? before going off on why Townsville is getting a few more rain gauges/alerts in areas that do actually need it. maybe you should have read what area of cairns is getting?
"The project, which will include a catchment levee and retention basins to alleviate flooding near Moody Creek, is expected to bring insurance prices down for more than 450 homes and businesses in Mooroobool, Westcourt and Bungalow."
http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2013/08/30/247459_local-news.html
2017 Yearly total to date - 705.0mm (1122mm)

#1208753 - 31/08/2013 21:01 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - June 2013 [Re: hickory]
ColdFront Offline

$4.3 million is no small change in an area that according to comments above have no major risk of flooding. If they had accurate data of what sort of rainfall they need to address they'd be going into this project with their eyes wide open. Instead it is largely based on speculation.

Those that live in the area around Westcourt and Manunda know only too well that the flooding isn't always rapid and can take all night to back up due to a high tide around sunrise . I've been out in it and the worst along Brown St occurred around 5.00am as the tide rose and it backed up.

That means several hours to warn people if BoM could see what's coming down on the hills. Heaps of time then to issue warnings but it won't happen if the airport isn't recording anywhere near what is falling on the hills.

If BoM were able to see that the hills had recorded 200mm overnight (not rare in Cairns) but the airport had only had 100mm then they'd be able to issue the appropriate warnings to those people. Currently they don't have that data and Mick's link highlights that there is a problem there despite claims to the contrary.

The airport is a very poor indication of Cairns rainfall. It's in a rain shadow from the south east and away from the slopes.

#1208810 - 01/09/2013 19:35 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - June 2013 [Re: Mick10]
pogonantha Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: Mick10
have you actually read what the state government is investing in? before going off on why Townsville is getting a few more rain gauges/alerts in areas that do actually need it. maybe you should have read what area of cairns is getting?
"The project, which will include a catchment levee and retention basins to alleviate flooding near Moody Creek, is expected to bring insurance prices down for more than 450 homes and businesses in Mooroobool, Westcourt and Bungalow."
http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2013/08/30/247459_local-news.html

Thanks for that link Mick..it clearly demonstrates that the local and state government is actually going to spend some dollars on actually trying to alleviate some drainage and flash flood problems in the Cairns 'burbs rather than just wasting it on $500 000 of rain gauges that would do nothing to fix the problems whatsoever..
Very sound logic , good use of capital and a no doubt a welcome relief for those residents and business owners in those areas.

#1208814 - 01/09/2013 20:17 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - June - August 2013 [Re: hickory]
pogonantha Offline
Weather Freak

Edited by Raindammit (01/09/2013 21:18)
Edit Reason: Trolling

Page 30 of 30 < 1 2 ... 28 29 30

Who's Online
4 registered (RC, DarrylS, Hagrid, 1 invisible), 240 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Canoncloud, Deanmc, skylark, tornado freak, vic
Forum Stats
29370 Members
32 Forums
23686 Topics
1462562 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image