Page 17 of 30 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 29 30 >
Topic Options
#1209579 - 08/09/2013 21:39 Re: Federal Election Sept 07 2013 [Re: boomer]
Orebound Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Port Hedland WA / Darwin NT
Well it isn't all about your area Rime. The fact remains that the NBN installations in the rural areas of Darwin where already well underway with the metro area installations following in the coming months.

Let me work this out, you are more content with the copper cowboys than even the idea of moving to into the 21st century?

Photos

#1209580 - 08/09/2013 21:49 Re: Federal Election Sept 07 2013 [Re: boomer]
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Kirwan, Townsville - NQld.
some 15000 homes and businesses are already capable of switching to the nbn in Townsville now. my suburb had the cables installed 2months ago and was due to be switched on later this year. the nbn started in many regional cities before metro due to ageing technology, eg lack of cable internet in many areas.
2018 Yearly total to date - 814.8mm (1107mm)

#1209581 - 08/09/2013 21:58 Re: Federal Election Sept 07 2013 [Re: Orebound]
Rime Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Perth,WA
Originally Posted By: Orebound
Well it isn't all about your area Rime.

No its not. But it illustrates that it did not meet up with the hype surrounding it. If a metro area was not getting it, then what other areas missed out? Was it really value for money when you consider it was costing $50+ billion?

Quote:

Let me work this out, you are more content with the copper cowboys than even the idea of moving to into the 21st century?

Interesting. Firstly, FTTP and FTTN technology is on its way no matter what for most major suburban areas. Secondly, there is irony in this question. Simple answer, yes! We were going to get NBN wireless and it was going to replace our evil 15M copper ADSL2+ connection. The idea was that copper internet was going to be made obsolete. If I had a choice between a wireless broadband connection or the current copper connection, I would stick with the copper. The cost for the copper is a lot cheaper and it is reliable. Admittedly, the wireless was going to be quicker, but I would still prefer to stick with something that was cheap and reliable even if it meant a sacrifice on the speed.

The best thing for Australia is to have comms running through multiple technologies. FTTP is going to be rolled out more into the future, but due to many reasons, it is not viable to have FTTP at some localities. FTTN is certainly a good alternative in these cases.

#1209595 - 09/09/2013 07:37 Re: Federal Election Sept 07 2013 [Re: boomer]
Cheers Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: sevenhills nsw
This is what Murdoch said on Twitter word for word:

Aust election public sick of public sector workers & phony welfare scroungers sucking life out of enconomy. Other nations to follow in time.

This is sooo wrong.This is putting S$#@ on anyone who works for the public sector. Doctors,Nurses,Teachers,etc,etc.
How old is this low life, 82, oh that's right,his mum lived to over 100.
Bugger!
So now has a PM that will be controlled by a low life called Murdoch.

#1209603 - 09/09/2013 08:52 Re: Federal Election Sept 07 2013 [Re: boomer]
Cheers Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: sevenhills nsw
I forgot about this one.
On youtube type in : The Abbott Family.
So true & so funny.

#1209614 - 09/09/2013 11:06 Re: Federal Election Sept 07 2013 [Re: Cheers]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW, Australia
Originally Posted By: Cheers
. Other nations to follow in time.

It is this bit that scares me the most? What is he suggesting?

The man has a serious meglomania issue. All I can say is thank goodness the USA has that outdated but in this case thankful clause that you cannot be president unless born in the USA. As I am sure that is the only thing that has prevented Murduch from that aspiration.

#1209699 - 10/09/2013 12:58 Re: Federal Election Sept 07 2013 [Re: ozthunder]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: El Arish

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.

#1209728 - 10/09/2013 19:15 Re: Federal Election Sept 07 2013 [Re: boomer]
SBT Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
It wouldn't have mattered one iota if the Dali Lama, the Easter Bunny, the Pope, Superman, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Jesus and Midas had have all thrown their weight/money behind Rudd he still would have lost.

If the Labor Party was actually doing what it's basic tenants dictated that it should be doing, looking after the welfare of the workers and the lower classes, they would still be in power. People aren't the mugs you lot think they are. So what if Rupert threw a few Wobblies into the mix it doesn't take an Einstein to work out that Labor was morally and socially corrupted and needed both a leadership and a policy change in a big way.

Oppositions do not win elections - the ruling party lose elections from poor practices. Such luminaries as Bob Hawke, Keating, Howard and other past leaders have said as such as well as a number of ABC commentators and political analysts and in any number of elections you will find exactly that has happened.

You can act like a 3 year old and blame any and every one else for the ills of the Labor Party but the harsh truth is they lost the confidence and support of the people and as a consequence they got reamed by the public.

#1209733 - 10/09/2013 20:27 Re: Federal Election Sept 07 2013 [Re: boomer]
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

yes you may loose the confidence and support of the people SBT, but when continual lies and crap like the above headlines are thrown into your face with one eyed and biased coverage, people sadly believe everything they read. you know our local paper rather well mate, you have been here long enough. imagine that at a capital city level?

#1209753 - 11/09/2013 08:10 Re: Federal Election Sept 07 2013 [Re: Mick10]
datadog Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: Mick10
yes you may loose the confidence and support of the people SBT, but when continual lies and crap like the above headlines are thrown into your face with one eyed and biased coverage, people sadly believe everything they read. you know our local paper rather well mate, you have been here long enough. imagine that at a capital city level?

"people sadly believe everything they read"

Hmmm... so this explains why certain people with an agenda just don't want any views different to their own allowed. Probably explains the thinking at 'our' ABC. ...at Fairfax ?

I note from reading the Murdoch owned papers that there is a diverse and opposing point of views published. ...which probably explains why they sell more then others.

Here's the headlines from the Yasified_Shak post listed. Perhaps somebody can show me where they might be factually incorrect...

- Julia's Boats Baby Bonus
- Black Swan In Cash Splash
- The Big Steal
- Doesn't Add Up
- ALP Losing Its Heart
- Kev's $733m Bank Heist
- Dear Leader
- Dead Kev Bounce
- Finally, you now have the chance to... Kick This Mob Out
- Conroy Joins Them
- Send In The Clown
- I Know Nuthink
- Its A Ruddy Mess
- Does This Guy Ever Shut Up?
- Muzzled
- Parachute Pete
- Price Of Labor
- Australia Needs Tony
- Past Sins Bite Rudd
- Kevin Deadly Sins

Edited by datadog (11/09/2013 08:11)

#1209754 - 11/09/2013 08:19 Re: Federal Election Sept 07 2013 [Re: boomer]
Andy Double U Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mundoolun, SE QLD, 129m ASL
How many people actually buy/read the paper these days? Last one I purchased was six weeks ago (The Australian), before then it was at least six months. I get most of my news via online news (I don't have accounts), 70/30 split between news.com sites and Fairfax based ones. Without a doubt, the bulk of my news comes from listening to the ABC to and from work so on the balance of everything, most of my news comes from mainly 'left leaning' sources. I don't have Foxtel so don't see anything on SkyNews.

Even the ABC wasn't being exactly sympathetic towards the ALP plight of the past month compared to historical trends, that's saying something!

SBT is bang on, the ALP is still blaming everyone else and it's until they look in the mirror and take a long hard look at themselves, they will continue to flounder and be divided by the infighting that brought the whole show undone in the first place.

#1209772 - 11/09/2013 11:42 Re: Federal Election Sept 07 2013 [Re: Andy Double U]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW, Australia
Originally Posted By: Andy Double U
How many people actually buy/read the paper these days? Last one I purchased was six weeks ago (The Australian), before then it was at least six months. I get most of my news via online news (I don't have accounts), 70/30 split between news.com sites and Fairfax based ones. Without a doubt, the bulk of my news comes from listening to the ABC to and from work so on the balance of everything, most of my news comes from mainly 'left leaning' sources. I don't have Foxtel so don't see anything on SkyNews.

Even the ABC wasn't being exactly sympathetic towards the ALP plight of the past month compared to historical trends, that's saying something!

SBT is bang on, the ALP is still blaming everyone else and it's until they look in the mirror and take a long hard look at themselves, they will continue to flounder and be divided by the infighting that brought the whole show undone in the first place.

Well it’s a bit more than Newspapers; it’s a hostile media and endless retweeting and Farcebooking jokes, pictures (like the disgusting Pickering cartoons) and opinions in general. It was decades ago when I heard the phrase something like " in the future CONTROL of INFORMATION will be POWER".
If you doubt this look at the boat people facts: Yes, most are NOT genuine, but they are just the tip of the iceberg, most illegals come here on planes from NZ and China and do not go home. Yet the relentless media coverage and Abbots relentless negativity worked. It catered perfectly to the ignorant who do not think for themselves.

#1209774 - 11/09/2013 11:58 Re: Federal Election Sept 07 2013 [Re: ozthunder]
Andy Double U Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mundoolun, SE QLD, 129m ASL
Originally Posted By: ozthunder
Well it’s a bit more than Newspapers; it’s a hostile media and endless retweeting and Farcebooking jokes, pictures (like the disgusting Pickering cartoons) and opinions in general. It was decades ago when I heard the phrase something like " in the future CONTROL of INFORMATION will be POWER".
If you doubt this look at the boat people facts: Yes, most are NOT genuine, but they are just the tip of the iceberg, most illegals come here on planes from NZ and China and do not go home. Yet the relentless media coverage and Abbots relentless negativity worked. It catered perfectly to the ignorant who do not think for themselves.

Good ole Facebook dishes it out from both sides of the fence, look at the furore surrounding the Alan Jones stunt months ago. That's an example of how the conservatives haven't managed to corner all areas of the internet. Twitter is another medium that is firmly entrenched in the left, you hardly ever see a decent comment under #auspol or #ausvotes that speaks in favour of the coalition.

Re: Illegals.

Yes it is common knowledge that there are plenty of 'illegals' in Australia who have overstayed their visas who arrived by plane originally. The BIG difference between the two groups is that you need to have a passport to pass through customs and immigration if you arrive here by plane compared to people being encouraged to ditch their papers when travelling by boat.

Perhaps also consider this, what's the going rate for a boat ride to Australia? I've heard in the realm of $10,000 or so? In a rickety boat that could realistically see you drown before you get here. Now unless you're travelling business class, an airfare isn't going to cost you that much and is heaps safer! Essentially people are coughing up the extra money to conceal their identity for another reason.

#1209777 - 11/09/2013 12:40 Re: Federal Election Sept 07 2013 [Re: Andy Double U]
Seira Offline

Loc: Adelaide Hills
Originally Posted By: Andy Double U
How many people actually buy/read the paper these days?

Quite a few I'd think...although I didn't get an idea of who would come out as the next government leader from the newspapers, that was on the news.

Edited by -Cosmic- (naz) (11/09/2013 12:48)

#1209781 - 11/09/2013 13:33 Re: Federal Election Sept 07 2013 [Re: Mick10]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: The Beach.
Originally Posted By: Mick10

Correct.

#1209786 - 11/09/2013 16:30 Re: Federal Election Sept 07 2013 [Re: boomer]
slipperyfish Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: South Mission Beach QLD
What makes me laugh at you Labor tragics is that in 2007, Murdoch did the same thing, only the shoe was on the other foot. He wanted Howard out because he wanted to make changes to the media censorship laws.

And I wonder how many of you jumped to the defence of the Coalition ? None I suspect. And what now, he has changed his lovers and you are all crying foul like spurned mistresses.

LOL.

#1209819 - 11/09/2013 21:53 Re: Federal Election Sept 07 2013 [Re: boomer]
snoopydoo Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Forest Lake
It's funny how some Rudd/Labor supporters continue to support the notion that Australians are just one step up from apes. We can think, you know. We can make our own opinions, judgements and decisions without having to have a media organisation, reporter, tv host or anyone else for that matter telling us what to do. Don't assume that anyone who voted Labor out didn't go seeking their own unbiased information. I know plenty of people (including myself) that can read, interpret and research.

It's also funny how Labor (claims to)stands by the average Joe, but when average Joe votes them out, all of a sudden average Joe is a moron!!

#1209821 - 11/09/2013 22:08 Re: Federal Election Sept 07 2013 [Re: boomer]
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

now Murdoch doesn't want an nbn, so be it. not about labor or libs, its about unbiased media and ones powerful asset that can win or loose an election. it shouldn't happen.

#1209924 - 12/09/2013 23:46 Re: Federal Election Sept 07 2013 [Re: boomer]
datadog Offline
Weather Freak

Looking back...

1st December 2009: Tony Abbott "warned Prime Minister Kevin Rudd that he was not frightened of fighting an election on the issue.

“As far as many many millions of Australians are concerned what the Rudd Government ETS looks like is a great big tax to create a great big slush fund to provide politicised handouts run by a giant bureaucracy,”..."

Gillard then lied to win an election: "No carbon tax under a government I lead"

Now, post election...

"The hopelessly politicised Climate Commission, the function of which was apparently to spin government propaganda as “science”, is to be abolished, along with a raft of other pointless climate organisations..."

http://australianclimatemadness.com/2009/12/01/abbott-comes-out-fighting/

http://australianclimatemadness.com/2013/09/11/celebrate-climate-commission-to-be-abolished/

#1209925 - 12/09/2013 23:59 Re: Federal Election Sept 07 2013 [Re: boomer]
datadog Offline
Weather Freak

Who really wants some old fashioned land line when yer can get faster mobile...

"Telstra has begun trials of a new mobile technology that can reach download speeds up to nine times faster than what the Coalition’s national broadband network will deliver to most homes and businesses.

According to a Telstra strategy briefing obtained by The Australian Financial Review the company plans to use a technology called “carrier aggregation” to deliver peak mobile download speeds of 450 megabits per second in certain conditions. This will allow user to download a high-definition movie within two minutes.

By comparison Labor’s NBN offered residents 100 megabits per second using fibre to the premise, while the Coalition’s plan to run fibre to streetside node cabinets will guarantee speeds of 50Mbps by 2019..."

http://www.michaelsmithnews.com/2013/09/...gy-winners.html

Edited by datadog (12/09/2013 23:59)

Page 17 of 30 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 29 30 >

Who's Online
15 registered (samboz, Foehn Correspondent, StormCapture, mysteriousbrad, aussiestormfreak, bd bucketingdown, bundybear, Taylsy, Mcbobbings, Steve O, marakai, Sidney, Mad Elf #1.5, 2 invisible), 82 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
MatthewBr, Raweth, Russellmill
Forum Stats
29681 Members
32 Forums
23978 Topics
1500507 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image